HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ribiero contract- Wake up Canadiens!!!!!!

Old
07-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Dutch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalmonkey View Post
Great signing! Ribeiro will get around 50 points this season.
Depends. He could be a 35 pts player if he keeps on playing with no heart.
However, if he finally decided to give all he's got, he could get around 60-65.

He should team with a good coach this summer and learn how to skate properly.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:01 AM
habkid73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshawa General View Post
The moves and lack of moves this management team has been making lately, leaves one to wonder, who is making these decisions. The Canadiens already have deadwood with Bonk's $ 2.394M contract, now they overpay for Boullion and the contract for Ribiero is just mind boggling. Now Boullion does come out and play hard every nite, but at $1.9 M, he is at best a 5th defenceman, but the cherry on the sundae is Ribiero at $1.9, when he only had to be qualified around $1.2.
When you start overpaying guys $500,000/700,000 in the cap world, you have 3 or 4 overpayments that adds up to $2.5/3.0 in cap space used, I don't get it.
It looks like the Canadiens will be going into the season, without an upgrade in the centre ice position, and it is hard to believe management cannot be proactive enought to solidify the center ice position, yes the young guns will improve, but a team needs strength down the middle, wingers without a decent center become very average.
so let me get this straight,you know more about the nhl and its business than bob gainey.sure pal.too bad people on this board just can't stand behind our leader and suck it up.you are not gonna like every move he makes,but real fans are behind they're team ALWAYS !!ribs is fine,the poseur montreal fans are the REAL problem.

habkid73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:03 AM
JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
He should team with a good coach this summer and learn how to skate properly.
People have been saying that since he was 19.

Ribeiro has sucked up almost as much pp time as Donald Audette did during his ill-fated time as a Hab. In spite of all the efforts to put him in a position to produce offensively Ribeiro has managed something approaching one point for every two games. That's not going to cut it. And finally, we saw last year how he thrived in the new, quicker, more open NHL.... he was lost, and more so than during the post-season.

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:05 AM
JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by habkid73 View Post
but real fans are behind they're team ALWAYS !!ribs is fine,the poseur montreal fans are the REAL problem.

Real fans, real men, real Christians....

Whenever I hear this kind of idiocy I think of pudgy-brained nationalists and other half-wits....

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:09 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
You always sign RFAs that get 50pts in a season. Period. You would be a complete retard to let a guy like that go for nothing, regardless of his flaws or whether or not you have room for him on the roster.

If there's no room, you trade them when you get a chance. Signed RFAs are easier to trade. A 1 year contract is no big deal. And worse come to worse, the team has a center should no better option come available before the season starts.

I'm not a big fan of Ribeiro but I don't see what's so hard about understanding this.
He was already qualified, man. Gainey qualified him two weeks ago. His only option (if Gainey hadn't **** the bed and offered 1.9 million) was to either sign for 1.3 million or hold-out for a season. The reason people are pissed off is that even though there was no need for it since we still gave him a very impressive raise.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Oshawa General

Quote:
so let me get this straight,you know more about the nhl and its business than bob gainey.sure pal.too bad people on this board just can't stand behind our leader and suck it up.you are not gonna like every move he makes,but real fans are behind they're team ALWAYS !!ribs is fine,the poseur montreal fans are the REAL problem.

It's not a question of knowing more about the NHL business. If you go to buy something and it has a price tag of $100, will you pay $190??
Ribiero could have been signed for $1.3M.(his qualifying offer)

Oshawa General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:13 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=4348545&postcount=31

Shows what you know.

Old
07-07-2006, 10:18 AM
LeGars Du Cable

it's just 1.9 for ribeiro ... stop crying like babies.

LeGars Du Cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:26 AM
mcphee

Quote:
I agree 100%. I take personal responsibility, for not my height jokes causing Bouillon to not improve his lateral movement on the point, thus allowing his shot to get thru. Sorry. My negativity also kept the team from acquiring a power forward. Added to the fact that my indifference caused Theo to lose the fundamentals of rebound control. Damnitt, I ruined the team.

Gainey is one of the people in the sports world that I respect to a very high degree. Gainey, the man that is. If he and Julien Brisebois sat down and settled on this number, it surprises me and it seems to be without merit. When I buy steak, I don't offer the butcher more because it seems like a good idea. I think enough of BG to think he has a reason. On this one, I'd sure like to know what it is. Doesn't mean I know more, it means I don't get it and respectfully would like to.
If discussing the machinations of the team should be forbidden, why have the board ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Yah, don't you know that your opinion isn't wanted here if you disagree with Bob Gainey?
Disagreeing is fine. Saying that one has "lost all respect for him", while he is entitled to feel that way, is ridiculous to me. Did we miss the playoffs last year? Did we resign Patrick Traverse? Is Donald Audette coming back?

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:30 AM
habslife

When you start overpaying guys $500,000/700,000 in the cap world, you have 3 or 4 overpayments that adds up to $2.5/3.0 in cap space used, I don't get it.
It looks like the Canadiens will be going into the season, without an upgrade in the centre ice position, and it is hard to believe management cannot be proactive enought to solidify the center ice position, yes the young guns will improve, but a team needs strength down the middle, wingers without a decent center become very average.[/QUOTE]

By overpaying, do you mean Koivu's contract? I replied to your thread because it is easy to bash the same player everytime. Koivu is extremely well paid for what he brings to the table but it's ok because he is our beloved captain He is paid for intangibles, for things he brings to the team and can't necessarily be seen by fans or even media; still he is overpaid.

Ribeiro and Koivu are not the only one that are paid too much on this team, but I guess that's the way it is. Rivet was the target before because of his contract and we don't hear about it anymore because he plays better. Give a chance to Ribeiro to prove he's worth the money (between 55 and 65 pts) and if he can't, don't worry he will be traded or left unprotected later on.

habslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Turbo

Why does noone complain about giving pay raises to "underpaid" players?

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 11:41 AM
goalchenyuk

this thread win the most new fresh and original thread award price

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 11:57 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post
Was this a mistake? YES can it be overcome? Yes because it's a 1 year deal.
Do I want Ribeiro to get traded? PLEASE
i HATE ribs i really do i dont like the style he plays and he's useless in the playoffs pretty much just gives the puck away everytime he gets it, but i think this contract isn't as bad as people are thinking, i'm with tuggy on this one it's only a 1 year deal and he is a player no matter how much i hate his style, he does have upsides and an unordinair talent that he hasnt matured into, now by paying him $700000 more to get one more chance for him to reach his potential is ok by me, he might seriously turn out to be an equitible piece.

#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 12:02 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers View Post
i HATE ribs i really do i dont like the style he plays and he's useless in the playoffs pretty much just gives the puck away everytime he gets it, but i think this contract isn't as bad as people are thinking, i'm with tuggy on this one it's only a 1 year deal and he is a player no matter how much i hate his style, he does have upsides and an unordinair talent that he hasnt matured into, now by paying him $700000 more to get one more chance for him to reach his potential is ok by me, he might seriously turn out to be an equitible piece.
But what happens next year if Ribeiro ends up having a good season and you need to re-sign him? Gainey's already, for no reason at all, given him over a half-million extra. Do you think come next offseason if we want to sign Ribeiro long term that Mikey's gonna be like "Gee, I remember you giving me that 700K extra last season. I'm gonna return the favor and discount my asking price on a 3 year deal". No chance. Not only that but putting him at 1.9 this season rather than 1.3 means that if he proves himself a keeper, that his asking price will already be inflated just because of Gainey's lack of common sense in business.

Old
07-07-2006, 12:03 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
But what happens next year if Ribeiro ends up having a good season and you need to re-sign him? Gainey's already, for no reason at all, given him over a half-million extra. Do you think come next offseason if we want to sign Ribeiro long term that Mikey's gonna be like "Gee, I remember you giving me that extra 700K last season. I'm gonna return the favor and discount my asking price on a 3 year deal". No chance. Not only that but putting him at 1.9 this season rather than 1.3 means that if he proves himself a keeper, that his asking price will already be inflated just because of Gainey's lack of common sense in business matters.

Old
07-07-2006, 12:04 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
But what happens next year if Ribeiro ends up having a good season and you need to re-sign him? Gainey's already, for no reason at all, given him over a half-million extra. Do you think come next offseason if we want to sign Ribeiro long term that Mikey's gonna be like "Gee, I remember you giving me that extra 700K last season. I'm gonna return the favor and discount my asking price on a 3 year deal". No chance. Not only that but putting him at 1.9 this season rather than 1.3 means that if he proves himself a keeper, that his asking price will already be inflated just because of Gainey's lack of common sense in business matters.

Old
07-07-2006, 12:05 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:

Old
07-07-2006, 12:05 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:

Old
07-07-2006, 12:07 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:

Old
07-07-2006, 12:10 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:

Old
07-07-2006, 03:22 PM
habkid73

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
But what happens next year if Ribeiro ends up having a good season and you need to re-sign him? Gainey's already, for no reason at all, given him over a half-million extra. Do you think come next offseason if we want to sign Ribeiro long term that Mikey's gonna be like "Gee, I remember you giving me that 700K extra last season. I'm gonna return the favor and discount my asking price on a 3 year deal". No chance. Not only that but putting him at 1.9 this season rather than 1.3 means that if he proves himself a keeper, that his asking price will already be inflated just because of Gainey's lack of common sense in business.
gaineys lack of common sense in business???i'm sure you know more than him bud. sure.

habkid73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 03:36 PM
nextgretz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshawa General View Post
The moves and lack of moves this management team has been making lately, leaves one to wonder, who is making these decisions. The Canadiens already have deadwood with Bonk's $ 2.394M contract, now they overpay for Boullion and the contract for Ribiero is just mind boggling. Now Boullion does come out and play hard every nite, but at $1.9 M, he is at best a 5th defenceman, but the cherry on the sundae is Ribiero at $1.9, when he only had to be qualified around $1.2.
It looks like the Canadiens will be going into the season, without an upgrade in the centre ice position, and it is hard to believe management cannot be proactive enought to solidify the center ice position, yes the young guns will improve, but a team needs strength down the middle, wingers without a decent center become very average.

just come down, bob knows what he's doing.

nextgretz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Montrealer

Wow.

I've seen accidental double-posts, but never 7 in a row like that.

I can just imagine BigTimer, full of righteous indignation, hammering away at the Submit Reply button like there was no tomorrow.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 03:56 PM
NORiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
Wow.

I've seen accidental double-posts, but never 7 in a row like that.

I can just imagine BigTimer, full of righteous indignation, hammering away at the Submit Reply button like there was no tomorrow.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote