Wrestling Amateur, Pro, Mud, Jello, Real, Fake, and in between

Monday Night Raw Discussion Thread #39

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 01:47 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 500
I turned off RAW about two minutes into Rock's speech. All he is is loud... I'd rather a Cena promo.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:23 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I turned off RAW about two minutes into Rock's speech. All he is is loud... I'd rather a Cena promo.
Ouch. What a low blow. I found it okay, but the end was kinda, meh.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:44 AM
RussianRocket10

Can't please everyone I guess. I thought the ending was fine. His story was funny to me at least and Punk coming out and beating him up was needed I think. They just had a match 3 weeks ago after a couple weeks of build-up so I don't think they needed to sell this match as much through promos.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:45 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince McMahon View Post
One storyline related question...

Why would Vince McMahon give into Heyman's wishes so easily? Deck stacked against The Rock now and all Vince said was "I want it in writing." Vince was one word away from firing Heyman two weeks ago and now he's giving him what he wants?

WWE is either gonna throw a curveball at fans or this is something that will never be explained, Rock wins the match and we get the predicted Rock/Cena II and Lesnar/HHH II at 'Mania. The latter is more likely, but it's interesting.
Heyman said he would do whatever Vince wanted him to. He basically agreed to become McMahon's slave.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:15 AM
Mister Wood

I'd compare Rock's promo tonight to Cena's promo for the go-home episode of the Royal Rumble. It felt irrelevant, nothing more than trying to draw cheers from a local crowd. I mean, better than Cena's (which was aimless and brutal to sit through) but it did nothing for me in terms of making me excited to see the Rock wrestle. Otherwise I quite enjoyed RAW tonight. Although Jack Swagger took a huge dark turn tonight. Anti-Mexican slant out of nowhere. Do you all think he's going to be in the WHC picture?

Old
02-12-2013, 03:31 AM
Fuzzy Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Wood View Post
I'd compare Rock's promo tonight to Cena's promo for the go-home episode of the Royal Rumble. It felt irrelevant, nothing more than trying to draw cheers from a local crowd. I mean, better than Cena's (which was aimless and brutal to sit through) but it did nothing for me in terms of making me excited to see the Rock wrestle. Otherwise I quite enjoyed RAW tonight. Although Jack Swagger took a huge dark turn tonight. Anti-Mexican slant out of nowhere. Do you all think he's going to be in the WHC picture?
If they are looking to create a really ugly racial angle (Jack Swagger Vs. ADR) I won't be tuning it. How that promo was PG when it was blatantly racist I have no idea. If they want to get edgy, at some blood to matches that need it and let people say ass instead of arse. I am fine with minority characters looking to agitate the majority, but some white guy hating on minorities is in extremely poor taste.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:48 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
If they are looking to create a really ugly racial angle (Jack Swagger Vs. ADR) I won't be tuning it. How that promo was PG when it was blatantly racist I have no idea. If they want to get edgy, at some blood to matches that need it and let people say ass instead of arse. I am fine with minority characters looking to agitate the majority, but some white guy hating on minorities is in extremely poor taste.
I actually enjoyed it myself. I love the idea of the "patriotic american" but going completely the wrong way and overboard about it. Nice and evil and heel. I'm very interested to see where it goes.

Blood for the sake of blood does not make programming "edgy" in the slightest for me.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:52 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
That's how Bradshaw got his big push.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:03 AM
Fuzzy Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Was it really? Didn't remember that. Still not a fan of the racial story lines. It's not edgy, it's just trashy imo. I can't get behind it. I do enjoy that they have Swagger going in a darker direction, but the racist bigot thing is really outrageous. Perhaps it can shed light on how ridiculous that type of person is and help the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP71
Blood for the sake of blood does not make programming "edgy" in the slightest for me.
Agreed, a lot of cutting here and there would be stupid and ruin the point. I am talking about instances like Elimination Chamber and HIAC (as well as some cage matches) that need blood. HHH vs Undertaker needed some blood shed, it needed to show pain and punishment.

I don't want people cutting when they are tossed into the turnbuckle (HHH) but I also appreciate that a long-term feud should be able to end inside a metal structure and result in at least one person laying completely defeated in their own blood. If used properly - and not used excessively - it can be a powerful tool.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:31 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

watched RAW via DVR last night...lots to fast forward thru...only thing i really "liked" was the Jericho/Bryan match and Dolph/Kane...everything else was filler...The Shield need to work on their mic work b/c the delivery was pretty bad IMO

and the Rock's "promo" did nothing to make me want to buy that PPV...punk did more for that than anything else...

Old
02-12-2013, 08:33 AM
duckchobbins

Fell asleep before the show even started, the snow storm over the weekend destroyed my body. Read the results though and it seems like it was actually a damn good show. Love that they ended it was some quick brawling instead of just talking talking and more talking.

With this new stipulation it seems like somebody is getting screwed over big time. I'm going to predict that Lesnar and/or Maddox return to attack Rock outside the ring, and the chamber is lowered with Punk still in the center of the ring. By the time Rock comes to the chamber has lowered and he has no way to get back in, and is therefore counted out. Punk stands alone in the ring holding the title to end the show.

This creates a nice Wrestlemania program for the next couple months. Cena already said he wants a shot at the WWE title, so you have Cena challenging Punk. You also have Rock entitled to his rematch so he gets involved...triple threat seems very likely to me at this point.

Vince is injured so he can't comment live in the ring, so HHH will eventually come out to cut a promo saying he's sick of guys sticking their nose in matches they're not involved in, namely the Shield and Lesnar. This sets up HHH v Lesnar. Since it's a rematch, add something to it like a last man standing, best 2 out of 3, KO victory only, cage, etc...SOMETHING to make it different from their Summerslam match.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:16 AM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 0
Wow, Heyman had it right last October. People call for an edgy show instead of 'PG' stuff yet when WWE gives you something that pushes the envelope, you complain. A racist gimmick is pushing the envelope and we finally have something edgy. Let's see where this goes. It's interesting.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:21 AM
RussianRocket10

Yeah this WWE title match definitely feels like somebody is going to get screwed.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince McMahon View Post
Wow, Heyman had it right last October. People call for an edgy show instead of 'PG' stuff yet when WWE gives you something that pushes the envelope, you complain. A racist gimmick is pushing the envelope and we finally have something edgy. Let's see where this goes. It's interesting.
I think for a heel 'Real American' it's not a bad way to go. It's not as if this would be the first time even recently that this has been put out there. Maybe the first time that it was obvious what it was about but Big Show has been straddling that racist line since starting his feud with ADR.

The problem I have with the chamber match is that Bryan and Kane have nobody right now that is even remotely a threat to take the titles off of them. Yeah, it's a good setup that they may start turning on each other but Rhodes Scholars were the only believable heel tag team they could drop the titles to on a stage like Wrestlemania and now they've gone away from that. Hell No needs to split but their only believable competition has. Doesn't make sense.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:32 AM
M.C.G. 31

I don't think they're going to completely split up to be honest. I think they'll have a match at Wrestlemania to put over how dysfunctional they are and then stick together for a few weeks or months afterwards until they lose the titles and have a big blow off match sometime during the summer.

Maybe they'll reintroduce Dr. Shelby to manage and keep them together and bridge the gap from WM - whenever they officially split.

"It's going to be great. I can't wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can't wait to take that all away from them."
- PK Subban
Old
02-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i didn't have a problem with the Swagger thing...just wasn't interesting...he's pretty bad on the mic IMO so its tough to take him seriously...

Old
02-12-2013, 09:40 AM
M.C.G. 31

That's what I have a problem with. Not the gimmick, but ****ing Swagger. Although, if Dutch is his mouthpiece going forward, it could work.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:41 AM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 50
So I just came back to this in the past 4 months...

Kane was always my favorite and always will be, but I'm really digging Ziggler...he's damn good in ring and good on the mic...

Old
02-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Bradshaw's character was a much more complicated shade of gray. There was the whole patriot part, but there was also the "super successful businessman" aspect to him, which was a much more prominent part of the character. He even had "the cabinet" (which even included a person of color, I believe, Orlando Jordan), and there was the fact that he was also in real life going on business shows and giving stock tips starting right around that time to go along with the new character.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Swagger still sucks.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:40 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Flipped it on in between commercials of the Bean Pot finals and Flyers/Leafs game to see a riveting match between Khali and Mark Henry. That was enough for me to not watch again for another few months.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:16 AM
The Man in White

I'm betting the Vince phone call was doctored by Heyman. They'll probably have the Shield come out and attack Punk, thus giving him the title. And then do a swerve or something...

Old
02-12-2013, 11:41 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in White View Post
I'm betting the Vince phone call was doctored by Heyman. They'll probably have the Shield come out and attack Punk, thus giving him the title. And then do a swerve or something...
They can't play that angle. It was Vicky's phone. That would be a major gap that isn't believable. Maybe the favor is to have The Shield attack Lesnar.... and then The Shield's "higher power" (Or is that Aces/8s? :laugh ) is Taker? Holllllly over-thinking Batman.

Last edited by ColePens: 02-12-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old
02-12-2013, 11:49 AM
M.C.G. 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
They can't play that angle. It was Vicky's phone. That would be a major gap that isn't believable.
It's the WWE, you know it doesn't need to make sense for them to do it.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

they can if Vicky and Heyman are in it together...there's something about their interaction that tells me this is the case

Closed Thread