HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 11:26 AM
The Sweetness

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
We also don't know what Gaudreau's optimum playing weight is, while he may be able to add 15-20 lbs is it going to effect his speed and agility? you shouldn't just add size for size's sake especially if you're a skill player like Gaudreau. If he's 155 lbs now then 165 might be the best weight for him.
As long as he adds weight in the right way I'm sure he'll be fine at 170 lbs at minimum. If he focuses are strengthening his core, legs and some upper body training on his shoulders, etc to focus on injury prevention I'm sure he will be fine.

Sometimes I think adding muscle can actually improve agility if he keeps stretching and not putting on excess weight just because he will have a stronger core and legs, which helps with all sorts of movements. But you are certainly right that Gaudreau needs to prioritize staying agile.

I still remember him getting naiiled into the boards once in the wjc and shudder thinking of some guy in the AHL doing that to him given his tiny build. An injury is my biggest fear for him jumping up to the AHL before he has a more mature body with some more muscle.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:48 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Another goal and assist tonight giving him 13 goals 20 assists for 33 points in 21 games.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:02 PM
WarriorofTime

He needs to work on his first step. At his size he's going to need to be shifting around checkers who will destroy his little boy frame. He's not St. Louis who although short is built like a bowling bowl (see Ray Rice in the Superbowl for a comparable). He's more like Kane with his skinny frame but I don't think he has Kane's elusiveness. His hands and hockey sense are a thing of beauty though. I just wouldn't be surprised if like a lot of little guys he becomes a premier AHL scorer who is unable to make the jump. Wouldn't write him off yet.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Ashasx

Who is writing him off?

You've got it backwards. He's dominated at every level he's played at. What you should say is don't count your chickens before they hatch, or some other cliche.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:32 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Who is writing him off?

You've got it backwards. He's dominated at every level he's played at. What you should say is don't count your chickens before they hatch, or some other cliche.
Well my post listed why I don't think he'll be a good player. So it was more about myself that despite what I think I'm not writing him off yet.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:35 PM
LegionOfDoom91

It would be pretty cool to see another Philly area kid in the NHL. Hoping he makes it to the NHL.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:04 AM
FanningTheFlames

Dudes,

The guy is studying Communications whch is probably 90% female. He is likely a hero on campus. With that combination, I see no reason why he would graduate early.

But seriously, I see him as a Joey Mullen, the little guy that could. The one thing the Flames organization can not be accused of is rushing its prospects, so with that in mind, I'm going to say one more year in school for Johnny Hockey.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:34 PM
FlyersHockeyNow

Its funny looking back at what you people say about him. "He is too Small" "He won't make it" The kid is an absolute stud and his vision of the ice is fantastic. He WILL make it to the NHL it just depends on if he wants to graduate and become a free agent, or play for the flames in the next season. He is such a great piece of talent. Great steal for the Flames in the 4th round. If he got drafted the year after his freshman year at BC, first round talent in my mind, people just think because he is small he wont do it but look at Briere, or St Louis.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:31 AM
Flamester

flames should just take there time on this guy let him bulk up before he comes into the nhl. hes a great player but wouldnt mind him staying in college one more year after this season

Old
02-12-2013, 05:29 AM
DontToewzMeBro

While he does not have the speed reach and poise of Teravainen he looks like he has good hands and puck skills , I'd say he is an AHL star and fringe NHL 3rd line winger, but not gritty enough to be succesful,kind of like Bochenksi was, maybe he plays overseas?

Old
02-12-2013, 06:23 AM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
While he does not have the speed reach and poise of Teravainen he looks like he has good hands and puck skills , I'd say he is an AHL star and fringe NHL 3rd line winger, but not gritty enough to be succesful,kind of like Bochenksi was, maybe he plays overseas?
Why are you bringing up Teravainen in this thread?

Old
02-12-2013, 06:50 AM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
Not the poise huh? Along with Nugent Hopkins he looked to be the coolest customer with the puck in the WJC despite playing alongside some pretty solid competition.

You show up in every Gaudreau thread and try to put him down. So far Gaudreau has shown elite puck skills, hockey sense, poise, vision, agility and finishing. The only thing holding him back is his first step and adding some core and leg strength and it remains to be seen if he is able to mature physically, but it's foolish to say he projects as AHL star or fringe NHL'er before seeing how he can develop physically.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:52 AM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
He dislikes Gaudreau and goes to great lengths to discredit him in anyway possible.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Ashasx

DTMB has been trolling throughout this thread. Mods find it acceptable. Just ignore him.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:37 AM
kirant
Kiprusoffarian

vCash: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
I would assume because he's making some connection between Gaudreau, a mid-round pick, to Teravainen, an option the Flames could have taken mid-first.

No...it doesn't make any sense, does it?

Old
02-12-2013, 10:20 AM
PensFan6687

Don't feed the troll. Ignore him and he loses interest. Reply to him, and you're the one to blame for why he keeps posting in the thread. People have power, only because others give it to them.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:22 AM
flyers28giroux

I hope he makes it in the NHL and becomes a star like St.Louis, he has all you would want out of an offensive player maybe for the exception of his speed but with the high end skill and vision he has the potential to be something special.

I would personally have him stay at BC for another year to build on gaining some muscle/weight, then sign him with the Flames.

Him and Sven Baertschi will be the quite the duo in Calgary if only they can get that elite centermen.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

I'd like to see him develop quite a bit more. He's got a scary quick wrister when he lets it go when he wants to. However the one thing about him is he is really focused. I think he puts some of this talent to the side for the betterment of the team which is something that is EXTREMELY desirable for a prospect. And at his size he goes to the front of the net too and pays a price. Not something you usually say for a person that small.

I'm rooting for him. Classy kid to boot. Hopefully the size doesn't get to him though. If he had a bit more size he would be a real high end prospect.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Ashasx

I'm pretty sure his father mentioned a few weeks ago that he'll likely stay a full 4 years with BC. I guess we'll see.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:39 PM
topchowda

How does he compare to Gerbe

Old
02-12-2013, 01:43 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
How does he compare to Gerbe
Higher skill level, less strength.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:45 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Higher skill level, less strength.
Pretty much this, also Gerbe plays in the dirty areas more than JG, as JG is more of a perimeter player.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:46 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Pretty much this, also Gerbe plays in the dirty areas more than JG, as JG is more of a perimeter player.
Wth u just changed your name? Lol

Old
02-12-2013, 01:47 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Wth u just changed your name? Lol
I renamed myself after the future captain

Old
02-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Jag68Sid87

I think this is the kid who will re-energize Jarome Iginla in Calgary. I think comparisons to Martin St. Louis, Daniel Briere, Patrick Kane and Paul Kariya are well founded here.

He is a special talent.

Closed Thread