HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion (Mar. 29 article, post #976)

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 02:59 AM
Norm MacDonald

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Outside of Jones, I think Nurse is my favorite defenseman in the draft. He'd be my target if we're in the 10-20 range.
I think Pulock is the way to go. Well rounded D with a hard, right handed point shot.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:15 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
How many of these top 10 guys are NHL ready for next season?

Old
02-12-2013, 03:41 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Jones, MacKinnon, and Barkov are considered locks by most people. After that I think Drouin and Monahan have a shot. Then you always have some random guys that no one really expected to make the team. It's a deep draft so you'll probably see a good amount of guys get a 9 game try-out next year.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:33 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
I think Pulock is the way to go. Well rounded D with a hard, right handed point shot.
I agree. Nurse and zadarov project as big shut down guys. I think you could get that type of player later in the draft in Samuel morin. Pulock is a puck mover with decent size, harder to come by.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:20 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I agree. Nurse and zadarov project as big shut down guys. I think you could get that type of player later in the draft in Samuel morin. Pulock is a puck mover with decent size, harder to come by.
If I'm going with a puck mover, I'm going with Josh Morrissey from Prince Albert.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:07 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Morrissey from Prince Albert.
How soon is now!....

Old
02-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Garbage Goal

I don't give a **** where we draft in the first assuming we do. We need an offensive minded d desperately and d in general we don't have in the farm. Even if not that a winger would be nice. Tired of this bpa **** that keeps netting us centers. We have centers. Trade up or down if need be just fill a need instead of adding to the excess. We have Giroux and Couturier as our future top six centers with plenty of others that can do it and Laughton. Even before Giroux we had Richards and Carter. If we draft another center ill lose my ****.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:34 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I don't give a **** where we draft in the first assuming we do. We need an offensive minded d desperately and d in general we don't have in the farm. Even if not that a winger would be nice. Tired of this bpa **** that keeps netting us centers. We have centers. Trade up or down if need be just fill a need instead of adding to the excess. We have Giroux and Couturier as our future top six centers with plenty of others that can do it and Laughton. Even before Giroux we had Richards and Carter. If we draft another center ill lose my ****.
Sounds like you've already lost it...

But yeah....they need a legit D prospect.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Codith

If we can't get Jones, then go directly for Drouin or Mac. Then move couts/Schenn/laughton for a good young dman such as OEK or someone in that range.

That is if we manage to get a top pick

Old
02-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
If we can't get Jones, then go directly for Drouin or Mac. Then move couts/Schenn/laughton for a good young dman such as OEK or someone in that range.

Can't keep moving out core pieces at center because we keep drafting centers. It's redundant and sets us back ultimately. Same thing happened with Richards and Carter. If you do the same thing with Couturier/Laughton you're just perpetuating this.

If we can't get Jones I'd sooner trade to get a pick closer to the next d on the list then just draft excess.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:51 PM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post

Oliver Ekman Karlsson?

Old
02-12-2013, 12:57 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I am usually on board with the BPA thing, but last draft we technically didnt do that with Laughton. He was projected as a late 20 early 2nd round type of player. I like Laughton, but a defender like Maata would have been more needed.

This year, we REALLY need to draft this puckmoving d-man or a goal scoring winger. And this draft has a couple good ones also. Drafting ANOTHER center would be a big mistake imo. Drafting a PMD will give us two prospects in the pipeline that can move the puck. Ghost is more of an unknown but he is has looked extremely good this season. Do wonder that at 20 the team decides he should move on to harder challenges.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:59 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I have to admit, I'm not sold on Morrisey or Pulock from the WHL. I've watched a ton of tape on the two of them and the one thing that really stands out to me with regards to Morrisey and Pulock is that there is raw skill, but they require A LOT of polish to get to the next level. They're puck moving skills are elite, no doubt about that. But their defensive play and decision making requires work. In the case of Pulock, he was a recent transition to defense (he was originally a forward), so there's still that learning curve ahead of him. As for Morrisey, he plays bigger than what he really is and he's really going to need to learn how to pick his spots or he's going to get seriously hurt. Once again, just my own view on what I've seen from both guys.

I really think that the guy to watch (outside of Seth Jones, obviously) is Rasmus Ristolainen. I really don't know who to compare him to, other than he's probably the smartest defenseman in Finland right now. He just always makes the right play and he looks so cool and calm back there. Of course, in order to land Ristolainen, the Flyers would need to be out of the playoffs because he's going to easily be a top 10 pick.

In the second round, a couple of players to watch for. Robert Hagg is another European defenseman to watch out for. Big, mobile, not afraid to use his body and excellent puck moving skills. Ian McCoshen is also another guy to watch for in the second round. Another big kid who has excellent mobility and can really move the puck. The one sleeper to watch out for is Matt Murphy of the Halifax Mooseheads. He's a very steady defensive defenseman. However, he has quite a bit of untapped offensive potential. He has 27 points on the year, but 26 of those are assists. Another guy who is a really smart player and is very active in his own end.

If the Flyers do decide to go with a forward, I'd want Drouin. I know that the Mackinnon people are going to hate me and spit fire and venom at me for saying this, but I really think Drouin has a better skill set than Mackinnon. If you start from the second half of last season right up to now, Drouin has been the better player of the two. He just seems to take every opportunity he gets and runs with it and does something special. He might not be the two way player that Mackinnon is, but offensively, he's the better player of the two. It's scary to think how good he could be.

If the Flyers are looking at another winger, I would love to see Valery Nichushkin in the Orange and Black. A big kid who is incredibly fast and has goal scorer's hands. The only drawback to him is that he plays in one of the lower leagues in Russia (which is really hard to find tape for him), but his showing at the Russian/CHL Subway Super Series and World Junior Tournament have left very little doubt that he can't be a top player here. Rocket of a shot and he's not afraid to be a little selfish in terms of firing off shots. I think the one thing that really hurts Nichushkin though is that he turned down the import draft and that he wasn't going to come to North America to play in one of the junior leagues. That's too bad because he really would have benefit from playing over here. With that being said, even if he goes to the KHL for a couple of years, by the time he comes to Philadelphia, he'd more than likely end up playing on the wing of Giroux and they could really make a dynamic combo.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I am usually on board with the BPA thing, but last draft we technically didnt do that with Laughton. He was projected as a late 20 early 2nd round type of player. I like Laughton, but a defender like Maata would have been more needed.

This year, we REALLY need to draft this puckmoving d-man or a goal scoring winger. And this draft has a couple good ones also. Drafting ANOTHER center would be a big mistake imo. Drafting a PMD will give us two prospects in the pipeline that can move the puck. Ghost is more of an unknown but he is has looked extremely good this season. Do wonder that at 20 the team decides he should move on to harder challenges.
In the organizations eyes Laughton was the bpa. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:16 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
In the organizations eyes Laughton was the bpa. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense.
I don't know if it was more so BPA or the "typical Flyer" that they drafted. Seriously, Laughton is like your stereotypical Flyer player. Runs around hitting hard, annoys the opponents, and scores goals/creates offense.

What I would love to see is the team grabbing another first and drafting two defenders like Ristolainen and Zadarov and let them grow up together through the organization. Kinda like Richards and Carter.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I have to admit, I'm not sold on Morrisey or Pulock from the WHL. I've watched a ton of tape on the two of them and the one thing that really stands out to me with regards to Morrisey and Pulock is that there is raw skill, but they require A LOT of polish to get to the next level. They're puck moving skills are elite, no doubt about that. But their defensive play and decision making requires work. In the case of Pulock, he was a recent transition to defense (he was originally a forward), so there's still that learning curve ahead of him. As for Morrisey, he plays bigger than what he really is and he's really going to need to learn how to pick his spots or he's going to get seriously hurt. Once again, just my own view on what I've seen from both guys.

I really think that the guy to watch (outside of Seth Jones, obviously) is Rasmus Ristolainen. I really don't know who to compare him to, other than he's probably the smartest defenseman in Finland right now. He just always makes the right play and he looks so cool and calm back there. Of course, in order to land Ristolainen, the Flyers would need to be out of the playoffs because he's going to easily be a top 10 pick.

In the second round, a couple of players to watch for. Robert Hagg is another European defenseman to watch out for. Big, mobile, not afraid to use his body and excellent puck moving skills. Ian McCoshen is also another guy to watch for in the second round. Another big kid who has excellent mobility and can really move the puck. The one sleeper to watch out for is Matt Murphy of the Halifax Mooseheads. He's a very steady defensive defenseman. However, he has quite a bit of untapped offensive potential. He has 27 points on the year, but 26 of those are assists. Another guy who is a really smart player and is very active in his own end.

If the Flyers do decide to go with a forward, I'd want Drouin. I know that the Mackinnon people are going to hate me and spit fire and venom at me for saying this, but I really think Drouin has a better skill set than Mackinnon. If you start from the second half of last season right up to now, Drouin has been the better player of the two. He just seems to take every opportunity he gets and runs with it and does something special. He might not be the two way player that Mackinnon is, but offensively, he's the better player of the two. It's scary to think how good he could be.

If the Flyers are looking at another winger, I would love to see Valery Nichushkin in the Orange and Black. A big kid who is incredibly fast and has goal scorer's hands. The only drawback to him is that he plays in one of the lower leagues in Russia (which is really hard to find tape for him), but his showing at the Russian/CHL Subway Super Series and World Junior Tournament have left very little doubt that he can't be a top player here. Rocket of a shot and he's not afraid to be a little selfish in terms of firing off shots. I think the one thing that really hurts Nichushkin though is that he turned down the import draft and that he wasn't going to come to North America to play in one of the junior leagues. That's too bad because he really would have benefit from playing over here. With that being said, even if he goes to the KHL for a couple of years, by the time he comes to Philadelphia, he'd more than likely end up playing on the wing of Giroux and they could really make a dynamic combo.
I have seen Pulock play(WHL streaming, around 10-12 times.)(I'm an expert now ) and every time I came away impressed. I will admit though that it was during the beginning of the season where he was playing lights out. I haven't seen him lately, but he is also the captain and brings some intangibles. He has an absolute bomb for a shot though, that was the most impressive thing I saw when watching. It would be welcomed with open arms on this Flyers team.

Josh Morrisey I can not comment on because I haven't seen him play.

I have heard a ton about the big Russian kid with the rocket shot. Button really likes him as well. He keeps moving up in the draft rankings, and some seem to think the "russian factor" isn't that big of a deal there.

Rasmus Ristolainen really is someone I have no clue about other from what I read. He seems like he has all the tools, but is raw. Will need time to develop, but could become a top 2 dman.

I forget where it was where I saw this, but Homer asked Renberg when he was in Sweden about robert Hagg. He was just asking his opinion on the player, but Renberg had high remarks about him. I wouldn't mind him in the 2nd rounder, but if we make it to the playoffs, I don't think he is available in the later part of round 2.

All in all we need to find some defenders. We have developed centers/forwards amazingly throughout my life, it's time this organization takes a step forward in draft young defenseman.

Also like BP just said, I appreciate you input about the prospects as well. Thank you.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:20 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

From someone who knows little of prospects other than what is readily available on the net, I always appreciate your POVs, BCF16. If the Flyers are in a position to choose between Mackinnon or Drouin, I'll be thrilled with either ... assuming I have recovered mentally from the train wreck of a season that would have brought the franchise there, of course. Giroux – Drouin would be something to watch (getting ahead of myself), but Mackinnon would look great in this line-up, too.

For the D, your caveat about raw skill needing refining is important, as the Flyers don't have history on their side for developing defensemen and I don't believe Adirondack is conducive to doing so at present. Ideally, the Flyers come out of this season (ie, trade) and the draft with 2 high-end defenders, at least one of whom excels offensively. A D corps on the farm of the players below would start to set aright the ship of prospects:

XXXXXXX (via trade) – Gustafsson
XXXXXXX (via draft) – Manning
Gostisbehere – Lauridsen

Old
02-12-2013, 01:22 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
I don't know if it was more so BPA or the "typical Flyer" that they drafted. Seriously, Laughton is like your stereotypical Flyer player. Runs around hitting hard, annoys the opponents, and scores goals/creates offense.

What I would love to see is the team grabbing another first and drafting two defenders like Ristolainen and Zadarov and let them grow up together through the organization. Kinda like Richards and Carter.
Unfortunately, Holmgren too often thinks BPA stands for Bob Probert Alike.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Unfortunately, Holmgren too often thinks BPA stands for Bob Probert Alike.
"Of course I signed Shelley for 3 years, he was the BPA at the time."

Everything is becoming clear.

02-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

The fact that there's a "prototypical Flyer" is a problem in itself. Anyone who improves the team should be a prototypical Flyer.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:48 PM
daynus

living in central sask

i am located in the middle of prince albert,saskatoon,regina,moose jaw. and saskatoon is hosting the memorial cup. still trying to figure out if my company is a sponser. they should be, they are a large co. if not i will have to find some other avenues to obtain some tickets. and i do like morrisey. at a certain number range. gotta go gpa, not by position of need.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:57 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

Laughton was an interesting case. He really came on in the second half of last season and was stellar at the Ivan Hlinka tournament. His play really lit up the scouts eyes and he was fast climbing. Yes, Maata would have been nice, but having watched a lot of Knights games from last year to this year, there's really been no progression in Maata's overall game. Laughton has been considerably better this year.

I agree that the Flyers need to restock the pipeline with capable defensemen. I don't think Ghost can be looked at as an unknown and that he really has a chance to be something special. In terms of where the Flyers draft, if they're drafting at 20, things can get very interesting because the forwards and the defenders available this year are pretty similar once you get to that stage in the draft. For instance, if it comes down to say forwards like Frederic Gauthier and Kerby Rychel or defensemen like Robert Hagg or Ian McCoshen, I'm hoping the Flyers go with Gauthier or Rychel because they really are the best players available. If the Flyers wanted a McCoshen or a Hagg, I'd hope that they would move down and pick up more assets along the way. That would be my line of thinking.

Maybe I'm old school, but I will always believe that you go best player available, no matter what spot you're in. Even if it means drafting for a position that's a strength and not a need, you always go best player available. If you have a need and you know you can move down to acquire them, then you do so.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
I know people like to bring up Maata a lot but he was not necessarily the best player available according to some scout. TSN has a couple of scouts quoted as saying he was a pretty "vanilla" defensemen. With the way defensemen develop, one or more of the 4 defensemen the Flyers drafted could be better than Maata long term. It is such a crap shoot with defensemen. I have got no issue with the Flyers choosing a forward in the first, especially with their batting average, as long as they draft defensemen in bulk after. Someone's got to stick.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:09 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
For the D, your caveat about raw skill needing refining is important, as the Flyers don't have history on their side for developing defensemen and I don't believe Adirondack is conducive to doing so at present. Ideally, the Flyers come out of this season (ie, trade) and the draft with 2 high-end defenders, at least one of whom excels offensively. A D corps on the farm of the players below would start to set aright the ship of prospects:

XXXXXXX (via trade) – Gustafsson
XXXXXXX (via draft) – Manning
Gostisbehere – Lauridsen
To me, the issue with regards to the Flyers developing defensemen has always been who is teaching the defensemen. I honestly don't believe that Kjell Samuelsson should be working with our young defensive prospects anymore. Guys like Kevin Marshall, Marc Andre Bourdon, Oliver Lauridsen, Brandon Manning, etc.....have all stagnated under his watch. It's a shame that Marshall really stank up the joint because I had really high hopes for the guy. Kjell has been with the Phantoms organization for nearly 10 years now and not one defenseman has developed under his watch. People can say what they want about maybe the defensemen they drafted weren't any good, but you'd figure that after 10 years, someone would step forward.

It's horrible to watch how badly mishandled these prospects are and how management seems to think he's doing a good job with them. I sometimes wish the Flyers would dispatch Kevin McCarthy down there to work with the defensemen or leave John Paddock down there to work with them.

It's clear though that Kjell Samuelsson should not be working with the D prospects anymore.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Garbage Goal

I have no problem drafting a forward if necessary either. Just make it a winger.

Closed Thread