HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Isles to Brooklyn 2015 Part III **Preseason Game v Devils 9-21-13

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Steve55

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
The reader's comments on that artcle say it all -

"Get used to it. Isles are Brooklyn bound in 2015. The only ones to blame are your politicians, Town of Hempstead and all the people who voted no on 8/1. Nassau, you sunk your own ship."

"Perhaps its time for Newsday to ask Mr. Maragos about all the dates that have been filled at the Coliseum since the last Islander home game.* The biggest activity at the Coliseum was as a staging area and tent-city for Sandy workers.** Of course, a tent city might be the property's long-term use anyhow. Then ask him how they are going to replace all the tax revenue."

" Nothing happens around here unless D'Amato and Mondello get their cut. Just look at who was hired as a consultant by Veolia when they were in line for the Nassau bus contract. Just another scam brought to you by the WASTE Conservative Rupublicans."

"Just wait until they get to Brooklyn".
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Spot on for both comments. Sad thing is some people are so blind, they can't even hate the right people.
I think it was AWESOME that Wang didn't pay off those 2 greedy Republican big wigs to keep the Isles in the obscurity.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:32 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
" Nothing happens around here unless D'Amato and Mondello get their cut. Just look at who was hired as a consultant by Veolia when they were in line for the Nassau bus contract. Just another scam brought to you by the WASTE Conservative Rupublicans."
It's been going on like this in Nassau County for years. Who here on this board remembers Roosevelt Raceway and the number of years it took to knock down the grandstand and get a shovel in the ground to build the shopping center that's there now?

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of this in Nassau.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Steve55

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/1...ndbreaking.php

Mark your calendars and clear your schedules, the first Atlantic Yards tower breaks ground next week on Tuesday, December 18.

http://brooklyn.ny1.com/content/top_...-modular-first

An unusual and record-setting building project is getting underway in Brooklyn.

Ground is being broken today for B2, the first residential tower among the 16 structures planned for the Atlantic Yards development in Prospect Heights.
At a completed height of 32 stories, B2 is slated to be the world's tallest residential modular building...

Half of the apartments in the building will be earmarked for low and middle-income residents.
It is expected to be ready for tenants in the summer of 2014.

http://observer.com/2012/12/would-yo...breaks-ground/

Well, modular is here, and it’s real. After decades of dreaming by architects, an unlikely patron, developer Bruce Ratner, has made it possible to build a New York City building in a factory, assembling the units on site. Instead of cars, we will now be rolling apartments off an assembly line.
New Yorkers got their first look at the product, too, or at least the “chasis” around which these units will be built, at a ground breaking for the first Atlantic Yards residential tower, B2, nestled up beside the Barclays Center in Brooklyn...

Plus, there are the other opportunities this new technology opens up, not only making unfeasible projects buildable, thanks to the estimated 30 percent savings, but it could also convert non-union jobs to unionized ones. Bruce Ratner, Mayor Bloomberg and Borough President Marty Markowitz all cheered on the possibility of modular housing becoming a booming export from Brooklyn and elsewhere in the city. “It’s a whole new industry, born here in Brooklyn,” Mr. Markowitz proudly declared.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:28 PM
Steve55

http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.81203...site-1.4350420

12/18/12

The mayor and Brooklyn's top leaders broke ground Tuesday on the borough's long awaited and controversial development.

The B2 building will bring 363 new apartments to the Atlantic Yards area half of which would be set aside for affordable housing. The mayor, who was joined by Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz and Nets owner Bruce Ratner, said the buildings will bring a boost to the neighborhood...

Old
12-19-2012, 10:10 AM
StrongIslanders90

anyone else feel like in 25 years we will be living in mega city 1 from Judge Dredd??

This is pretty cool though and t can only be a good thing i guess if it is creating jobs...

Old
12-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
anyone else feel like in 25 years we will be living in mega city 1 from Judge Dredd??

This is pretty cool though and t can only be a good thing i guess if it is creating jobs...
Ha! I would feel the same way if only Nassau would allow for any kind of development aside from shopping malls.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Bert Marshall days

Brooklyn or bust: Islanders fans excited for 2015 move

January 17, 2013

Bring on Brooklyn!

That was the overwhelming sentiment from Islanders fans at Wednesday night’s Blue & White scrimmage against minor-league affiliate Bridgeport,

“It’s a great move for the organization,” 52-year-old Bay Shore resident Patrick Doyd said of the move to Barclays Center for the 2015-16 season. “Brooklyn is a viable location with transportation, subways, railroad. It’s going to help the Islanders with exposure. It’s a better move for the Islanders. They’re going to be in a better place.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/islan...TBnrEp27pW8Y1N

Old
02-11-2013, 09:54 PM
JTROCKS

100 more games till Brooklyn !!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...088719566.html

Old
02-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROCKS View Post
I believe thats wrong. We have '13-'14 and '14-'15. We leave after that season.

The lease expires in 2015.

02-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
I believe thats wrong. We have '13-'14 and '14-'15. We leave after that season.

The lease expires in 2015.
Home games.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Home games.
Crap! My bad. Sorry JT! Thanks Bunk!

Old
02-12-2013, 07:20 AM
stranger34

I wish they were at least trying to field a team in Nassau because I am not following to Brooklyn

Old
02-12-2013, 07:29 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 400
I have a feeling we may be there before then. Expect the Isles to look high and low for "major" issues with the Coliseum this offseason.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:46 AM
pucky

Isles fans don't care who owns the team? Wang doesn't give a crap about hockey and is only using it as a venture to make $$.

Also, I read here that a 'rich Russian' is rumored to be interested in buying the team. I believe this 'rich Russian' is Mikhail Prokhorov and he is considered yet another criminal by Russians.

I find it puzzling that so many fans don't give a damn who their owners are and then are upset when their favourite hockey team's ownership is not dedicated to building a true winner or sincerely doing what is necessary to build a good solid base for one.

At least, the colors/names stays.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
I have a feeling we may be there before then. Expect the Isles to look high and low for "major" issues with the Coliseum this offseason.
Ok, for what purpose? So they can move to Brooklyn and suck in another town?

People, wake up! The move to Brooklyn does nothing for this team in terms of on ice preformance. A new address does not make DiPietro go away, does not give them someone other than Moulson willing to sacrifice in front of the net, it doesn't solve their soft play, hell it doesn't even give them a real NHL coach.

Everyone has to get off this thinking that going to Brooklyn changes things. Until Wang shows some sort of evidence that he is willing to change his operating methods, Brooklyn is gonna be half empty too.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post

People, wake up! The move to Brooklyn does nothing for this team in terms of on ice preformance. A new address does not make DiPietro go away, does not give them someone other than Moulson willing to sacrifice in front of the net, it doesn't solve their soft play, hell it doesn't even give them a real NHL coach.

Everyone has to get off this thinking that going to Brooklyn changes things. Until Wang shows some sort of evidence that he is willing to change his operating methods, Brooklyn is gonna be half empty too.
But we won't know this for sure until the team actually gets to Brooklyn. It's speculative one way or another until 2015. So what we do have in the meantime is hope, and hope is all you can hold onto with this team.

Last edited by Strummergas: 02-12-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old
02-12-2013, 09:08 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

Quote:

Because Wang owning the Isles in Barclay's makes very little sense beyond the near term. Wang likely wants to move to BK to bump up the franchise value some, and then sell the team. But the BK folks don't want the club while it's still tied to the Coliseum lease, as they want a loss leader for their arena. The sooner this happens, the better for everyone ,except Nassau County.

Brooklyn in and of itself isnt some magic elixir. It's just a signal that Wang's ownership days are numbered.

Last edited by IceAce: 02-12-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old
02-12-2013, 09:12 AM
MJF

Quote:

Don't you get it? Brooklyn is the land of milk and honey. Where money grows on trees and revenue flows into the coffers. Where the Wall Street types will come and corporate partners will line up to associate their brand with the Islanders. Where we will become a model franchise with a flip of the light switch.

In the meantime maybe Wang could just suspend operation of the franchise until the team moves to Brooklyn.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:54 AM
lorwood

Quote:

You are correct its up to Wang.

What a lot of us (myself included) are hoping for is that the reason Wang is not spending now is that it is simply not possible to turn a profit in Nassau no matter how many games are sold out or how far into the playoffs sellouts are extended.

With the additional corporate revenue available in Brooklyn the hope is that Wang will start to inject capital into a business that can turn finally turn a profit (or at least break even)

The second hope is that Wang did what he said he would do and kept the team in NY and now feels he can sell the team. (And Brooklyn helps him get a better price)

Brooklyn is only 50% of the solution.

But you have to get half way there before you can finish.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:57 AM
stranger34

Tanking until Brooklyn makes no business sense. By the time they get there no one is going to care exceptt some people for the novelty.

If they are losing people like me who go to alot of games and work in the city they are in trouble. If I am not going to get in my car and drive for 10 minutes to get to a game why would I get on a train change at Jamaica and play 2x the price of a ticket to see a franchise that spit in my face for years.

Adios. If I ever relocate for work I will adopt the new location's home team

Old
02-12-2013, 10:04 AM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
Tanking until Brooklyn makes no business sense. By the time they get there no one is going to care exceptt some people for the novelty.

If they are losing people like me who go to alot of games and work in the city they are in trouble. If I am not going to get in my car and drive for 10 minutes to get to a game why would I get on a train change at Jamaica and play 2x the price of a ticket to see a franchise that spit in my face for years.

Have to disagree.

It may expedite the situation if they start to spend in 2015 (The last season in NVMC) which is what I would expect.

Brooklyn is a pretty populated area. The idea of NHL hockey there is going to go over well.

If you buy into the idea that the team is full of very good prospects add JT at a mature level sprinkle in a few big signings......all in a new arena you get Buzzz

Old
02-12-2013, 10:39 AM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
Have to disagree.

It may expedite the situation if they start to spend in 2015 (The last season in NVMC) which is what I would expect.

Brooklyn is a pretty populated area. The idea of NHL hockey there is going to go over well.

If you buy into the idea that the team is full of very good prospects add JT at a mature level sprinkle in a few big signings......all in a new arena you get Buzzz
I agree with you that Wang is probably going to try to spend more on payroll in the last year at Nassau. The franchise will need to hit the ground running to go into Brooklyn. But I still have reservations about a big name UFA wanting to take money from the Isles to play in Brooklyn.

I still think its going to be a leap of faith for an agent to reccomend the Isles to his client as long as Charles Wang owns the team. Regardless of their address.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:05 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

I agree about the UFA's so don't be shocked if Snow goes out and finds a Peca/Yashin type deal to pull off.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:10 PM
RealSturat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
Not as easy as you think to jump on board another fan base. Just feels weird. I thought I'd have to if the team moved. My options are DET, CBJ, and PIT. Pens fans believe it or not have been the most fun, even as a fan of the opposition.

Couple times I've been to home games for CBJ and PIT, not vs the Isles and it just felt weird trying to root for the home team.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Steve55

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2013...e/?stream=true

SHAKE SHACK TO OPEN SECOND BROOKLYN LOCATION IN FALL 2013

Beloved Burger Stand Setting Up Shop Directly Across From Barclays Center

NEW YORK, NY – February 12, 2013 – No sleep ‘til Brooklyn! Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group (USHG) is proud to announce it will open its second Brooklyn Shake Shack in Fall 2013. The new Shack will make its home at 170 Flatbush Avenue, just a three-pointer and slap shot away from Barclays Center—NYC’s exciting new entertainment destination and home of the NBA’s Brooklyn Nets and NHL’s New York Islanders (2015).

A milkshake and a pizza slice would be nice before an Isles game.

Hopefully I will attend one within the next decade.

Closed Thread