HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Where does Crosby rank as a sniper in the league?

Old
02-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Crease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Not so much a sniper as he is a world-class finisher.
Nicely stated, as usual Mike.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Saku11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Crosby has not played well this season
What the hell he has been great

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:57 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Crosby is a playmaker and a goal scorer who have all the tools to be a true sniper but that is not really his style.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:44 AM
bax

Quote:
Crosby has not played well this season and was inconsistent last season. He cant be considered the best player in the league anymore

What happened?
He has 17 points in 13 games and a +7. He is also leading the team with 51 shots. I don't get to watch many Pens game but this doesn't seem like the stats of a player who isn't playing well

bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:44 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

His shooting has improved immensely from when he first broke into the league. He always had a pretty accurate shot, but now it actually has quite a bit more zip on it.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:51 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
He has 17 points in 13 games and a +7. He is also leading the team with 51 shots. I don't get to watch many Pens game but this doesn't seem like the stats of a player who isn't playing well
The first few games the whole team was slow, Crosby was no exception. Once everyone got their sealegs, Crosby and the Pens have been doing just fine more or less...

To say he's not playing well would be categorically false.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:11 AM
MurphyDump

He has a great shot, but definitely not in the same realm as Ovechkin, Stamkos, Neal, Semin, etc.

However, let's not forget that he practically uses a straight blade. A few years ago he put a slight bit more curve on it and ended up scoring 50 goals that year. Even with that slight curve, it was STILL practically straight.....I couldn't imagine how straight it was before that.

If he used a curve like some of those other guys, I'm sure you'd see a big difference in his shot.

MurphyDump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:12 AM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
I never considered Sid a sniper
This! I see Sidney Crosby as the best playmaker in the game making his teammates better, but he is not a sniper. The previous injury-plagued season confirmed that in my book that Crosby's career is going to be that as one of the best playmakers of all time.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:34 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Crosby is a deadly sniper...on the backhand. He is a super elite playmaker and scores from in tight, but i wouldnt put him in the upper echelon of snipers

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:38 AM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23 View Post
So first people on here are putting Crosby as one of the "best danglers in the league" and now crosby is "definitely in the top tier of snipers"

oh man....LOL
Surprise, surprise, he's the best player in the game.

You been living under a rock or something? I would say he's one of the best in the world in most facets of the game.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:54 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post

Must've missed the joke on that one.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Pancakes

He actually can snipe sometimes. Here's one from this season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNELcDf3HQE

You don't see a whole lot of those, though. Most of his goals are rebounds, fivehole, or tip ins. He's a good shooter in general, though. I'd say his only real weakness as a sniper is he lacks a powerful one-timer. He's not a threat to blast one in from the half-wall like a Kovalchuk or Malkin is. But he can pick a corner with the best of them with his wrister.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:41 AM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
He definitely has the one-shot scoring ability of the Gaborik/Kovalchuk/Stamkos/Marleau/Kessels of the game, but it tends to go unnoticed because his playmaking is so freaking amazing.

Personally, I think he has a better backhand than he does wrist shot, which says a lot about just how good his backhand is
Gotta agree with this. His backhand is out of control.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:07 PM
MardocAgain

Crosby has a good history in the shootout. Likes to go 5 hole whenever on a breakaway.

MardocAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:39 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23 View Post
So first people on here are putting Crosby as one of the "best danglers in the league" and now crosby is "definitely in the top tier of snipers"

oh man....LOL
He's not THE best, but he's ONE OF THE best. Being the best player in the world usually means you're pretty good though. Man... you've never seen him before have you?

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Coconut Head
Save us, Mark Pysyk!

He's not defined as a sniper, but he's pretty damn good

Coconut Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:43 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
This is a good start to the thread, certainly. With snipers, people are looking for that over-powering bullet to the roof. Like Alexander Semin, who owns the league's best wrist shot probably, just eats goalies alive with it. Crosby's game doesn't involve him launching 50-foot wrist shots.

He has a great release, a great snap shot and he can put it anywhere in a hurry. It's anticipation and read & react as to where he's putting it. It's not designed to be over-powering, it's designed to go in. Some people will say that's not a sniper in the traditional sense, which is fine, it might not be. But he's an astute goal scorer. Not so much a sniper as he is a world-class finisher.
Well said. I feel weird calling him a sniper, but perhaps that's just because he's great at everything. Finisher is a better word for Crosby than sniper though.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:45 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Crosby has not played well this season and was inconsistent last season. He cant be considered the best player in the league anymore

What happened?
He hasn't?

And if by "inconsistent" you mean INJURED, then ya, I guess so.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Dangler99*

How do you embed a youtube video. It doesn't work.

Dangler99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Hainzy58

Send a message via AIM to Hainzy58 Send a message via MSN to Hainzy58 Send a message via Yahoo to Hainzy58 Send a message via Skype™ to Hainzy58
In the top 25 this year but I do not think much higher then that, he needs to show what he still has after all the concussion issues.

Hainzy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:00 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Gaborik's a good guy to reference in terms of finish. Both players beat the goaltender with hand-eye coordination and quickness of release instead of overpowering them with a stick-flexing, overpowering corner-picker from the top of the circle (Semin, Ryder). Whether that makes them traditional "snipers," I don't know.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:21 PM
sanitysrequiem

Best backhand in the league. If not top 5 snap shot, then definitely top 5-10 both in terms of release and accuracy. Absolutely hideous slapshot and practically non-existent wrister. Incredible scoring instincts, offensive awareness, anticipation, reflexes and hand-eye coordination, which helps him more as a goal scorer than his shot ever will. The puck is just attracted to the guy; he is always in the best position, and he flat out gets to it and deposits it faster than the d-men and goalie can think.

All in all, with the above considered, he is the best goalscorer (if not sniper) in the league. His timing is still off from when he had 33 goals in 41 games to start of 10/11 (66 goal pace, I think quite reasonable to assume at least 60 goals), but he'll get it back.

I think the most important thing here is that because he relies less on his shot and more on the above-mentioned positioning and anticipation and such (plus his physicality to gain positioning), his goal scoring will be sustainable. It's been documented that most goalscorers peak at 23-25, but I think Crosby will sustain a high goalscoring pace for a while,

sanitysrequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:29 PM
sanitysrequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Crosby is a playmaker and a goal scorer who have all the tools to be a true sniper but that is not really his style.
I disagree with this. Crosby is not one thing or the other in any aspect of the game, he doesn't have a style. He simply does what is most efficient, what is most effective, what is the most potent and dangerous play in any given situation. If he has linemates who can finish, he sets them up. If he has Stone Hands Dupuis on his line, he goes for more goalscoring. If he needs to hang back and dig out pucks from the corners to start the transition the other way, he will do that.

sanitysrequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:48 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by typicryptic View Post
I disagree with this. Crosby is not one thing or the other in any aspect of the game, he doesn't have a style. He simply does what is most efficient, what is most effective, what is the most potent and dangerous play in any given situation. If he has linemates who can finish, he sets them up. If he has Stone Hands Dupuis on his line, he goes for more goalscoring. If he needs to hang back and dig out pucks from the corners to start the transition the other way, he will do that.
Pretty much what I said, in one sentence.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Robert Theodorson

2nd best backhander in the league behind Zetterberg.

Does that add to his "sniper" resume? Probably not, just wanted to give him his due.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote