HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Do we need a heavyweight enforcer...

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Darcy Hordichuk on waivers?
Yes 21 33.87%
No 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Saturday's game has not made me change my mind. Yes, the Habs need a heavyweight enforcer but not just anyone. Someone who at the very least, can skate and take a regular shift without hurting the team on the defensive side.

I miss Staubitz...
Staubitz was a poor player who was poor defensively. Seems strange to miss him while clamouring for a defensively responsible heavy (especially since Staubitz isn't a heavyweight!).

Old
02-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Staubitz was a poor player who was poor defensively. Seems strange to miss him while clamouring for a defensively responsible heavy (especially since Staubitz isn't a heavyweight!).
While he would have never been nominated for the Selke, Staubitz held his own defensively. Sorry.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:31 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I wouldn't have an issue with a guy like Hordichuk as 4th line/13th forward enforcer. I actually think he is the best type to have, he is a bit nuts and unlike BGL will actually run or jump somebody to defend a teammate. Plus he skates pretty well, won't score more than 1-2 a year but can follow the play unlike thugs like Scott, McLaren and Orr.

The big issue with claiming him is we'd have to move a body, I think only a couple guys can be sent down in Gallagher and Galchenyuk. MB will probably want to wait closer to the deadline or till he gets a certain price for the d-men.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Mike8

Quote:
While he would have never been nominated for the Selke, Staubitz held his own defensively. Sorry.
No need to apologise for being misinformed.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:06 AM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I wouldn't have an issue with a guy like Hordichuk as 4th line/13th forward enforcer. I actually think he is the best type to have, he is a bit nuts and unlike BGL will actually run or jump somebody to defend a teammate. Plus he skates pretty well, won't score more than 1-2 a year but can follow the play unlike thugs like Scott, McLaren and Orr.

The big issue with claiming him is we'd have to move a body, I think only a couple guys can be sent down in Gallagher and Galchenyuk. MB will probably want to wait closer to the deadline or till he gets a certain price for the d-men.
Orr is a better player than Hordi. And Hordi isn't nuts since is Nashville day.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:09 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
Arthyukin suck
Try and fix your sarcasm detector. It's broken.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:12 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Wow, uh, yeah. Staubitz was garbage.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:19 AM

I'm not against or particularily for having a heavyweight on the team...but when you've got guys like Prust/White and to a lesser degree Moen/Armstrong/Emelin/Subban, guys who could and often 'start fires', you need to have a guy able to put those fires out

I haven't seen alot of this player, I have some hazy memories of him scoring a couple of goals vs Habs last year during their disaster season...

But with the Minnesota Wild acquiring Mike Rupp...any chance they might waive Matt Kassian?

I don't know enough about his game...I seem to recall he was a decent skater, but like I said, that memory is hazy

anyone else have any info on this guy?

Old
02-12-2013, 09:20 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
I wrote 'good' heavies to identify those that were legitimate heavies -- not that they were good quality. I ought to have clarified why I marked it as " 'good' ". The differentiation between 'good' and 'bad' in that listing had more to do with categorisation than with quality (Rupp, for example, is a 'heavy' according to size, but he's really not a heavy enforcer in the same way as a Parros).

Hordichuk doesnt fight quality heavyweights often. And when he does, he loses. On his fight card over the last few years, he's fought Kassian three times, Reaves once, Carkner once, Thornton once, and McGratton once. He lost each of those fights. He beat Orr, but it wasn't a definitive win. On the whole, he's pretty clearly overmatched when fighting big and/or quality heavyweights. I don't see why you're disputing this simple point.
So... still waiting for you to say that Krys Barch isn't a legitimate HW, because of his record from hockeyfights.com. The guy won't win them all, but to qualify him as a MW, when he's clearly a notch above this category, is stretching it.

Quality HW nowadays are less and less common.

Toronto: Orr; Hordi can hold his own against him
Ottawa: Neil; Hordi beats him
Boston: Thornton; Hordi is inferior
Buffalo: Scott; Hordi is inferior
NYR: Asham; Hordi beats him
NYI: Carkner/Boulton; Hordi loses to Carkner, wins to Boulton
Pittsburgh: Glass; Hordi wins
NJ: Barch; Hordi matches him
Philly: Shelley; Hordi is inferior
Winnipeg: Thorburn; Hordi beats him
TB: Crombeen; Hordi beats him
Washington: Erskine; Hordi loses
Florida: Parros; Hordi matches
Carolina: Westgarth; Hordi matches

The fact is, we don't have anyone who's better than this guy to take care of business against the other teams' best fighters. And he's clearly a better fighter than most guys listed.

Quote:
This message is not addressed to me. But are you really the guy who suggested me to be more cordial in my answers, and to post less trollish answers?

Old
02-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
Orr is a better player than Hordi. And Hordi isn't nuts since is Nashville day.
I don't agree on Orr vs Hordichuk. Hordichuk can play a semi regular shift and hot hurt the team as he has enough wheels to effectively forecheck and be defensively responsible, Orr can't keep up with the play and struggles defensively.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:25 AM
gusfring

EDM fans are hoping someone claims Hordichuk. Pass.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Umm, the misinformed one is you. Schultz was gaining more and more responsabilities last season. His poor off-season training doesn't change that.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Umm, the misinformed one is you. Schultz was gaining more and more responsabilities last season. His poor off-season training doesn't change that.
Ian Schultz is no more playing with Wheeling, but in Utah right now (I guess too many players in Wheeling), and he seems to do well statistically with 11 points in 22 games and 110 PIM and in the +.

I hope he will train hard next Summer and get back to Hamilton before finally jumping to NHL as our 13th forward.

Is it not the role of Martin Lapointe and Brisebois to get those kids back on track and show them the way as a pro ?

Old
02-12-2013, 11:19 AM
ClasslessGuy

Hordi is garbage

Old
02-12-2013, 11:24 AM
rexman_1998

We don't need Hordichuck or any other enforcer. We have enough toughness in our bottom-6, what we need is more toughness (along with size) on the first two lines and on defense.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexman_1998 View Post
We don't need Hordichuck or any other enforcer. We have enough toughness in our bottom-6, what we need is more toughness (along with size) on the first two lines and on defense.
We need an enforcer. The league is full on garbage and won't go forward, violence sells to the American. So instead of getting hammered by other teams I want the team to be able to defend the honor and their damn life.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:33 AM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't agree on Orr vs Hordichuk. Hordichuk can play a semi regular shift and hot hurt the team as he has enough wheels to effectively forecheck and be defensively responsible, Orr can't keep up with the play and struggles defensively.
agree to disagree. I've watched enough of both to know what him talking about. Orr hockey iq is better. Hordi play like a chicken with no head. Defensively, orr is better

Old
02-12-2013, 11:34 AM
bud12

Quote:
He talk about Staubitz, not Schultz. And I agree with him, Staubitz isn't better than the majority of others heavyweights.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

All the habs had to do was not fight. Gorges and gallagher should only fight players their size. Prust is the only one who should take on the world. And he didnt do that bad considering the size difference.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:39 AM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Quality HW nowadays are less and less common.

Toronto: Orr; Hordi can hold his own against him.Orr is better
Ottawa: Neil; Hordi beats him Equal
Boston: Thornton; Hordi is inferior Lucic better too
Buffalo: Scott; Hordi is inferior
NYR: Asham; Hordi beats him
NYI: Carkner/Boulton; Hordi loses to Carkner, wins to Boultonequal to Boulton
Pittsburgh: Glass; Hordi wins engelland is better
NJ: Barch; Hordi matches him
Philly: Shelley; Hordi is inferior
Winnipeg: Thorburn; Hordi beats himPeluso is better
TB: Crombeen; Hordi beats him
Washington: Erskine; Hordi loses
Florida: Parros; Hordi matches Parros is better
Carolina: Westgarth; Hordi matches
somes corrections

Old
02-12-2013, 11:45 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
He's not even talking about schultz

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
02-12-2013, 11:48 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
I'm assuming you don't put much faith into advanced stats, but if you do, then it's quite clear that Staubitz was awful.

Closed Thread