HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 League Rumors/Trades/Signings Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2013, 07:06 PM
  #551
bruins04
Registered User
 
bruins04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Kassian isn't actually the guy I was thinking of for that role --but seeing as you are trying to be a smartass (doesn't work for you, you have to be 'smart' to being with) I'll play along. Re: Kassian: in less than 1/2 the games (24 to 62) as Pandolfo last year, Kassian had 2x as many goals.

You say: "But, but, but Kassian sucks, he only had 2 goals."
I say: "Exactly."

He also brings a physical element that JP cannot even dream about bringing.

Nothing against JP's career --guy was a stud back in the day but he's what, 38 now? Julien loves bringing in these ancient vets that have very little left in the tank and don't end up doing jack **** for us in the long run. Rolston or Yelle, anyone?

*The Islanders will pretty much pick up anything off the waiver wire and yet they didn't want anything to do with bringing him back for a 2nd season.
i agree with all of this, but i was also a person who was saying Recchi is useless during our cup run. IIRC, half of our board blamed Rex for the terrible 2nd line, dysfunctional pp, and there were several people ready to fire Julien.

I recanted similar statements and reiterated them like a bipolar sports fan. I'll choose to be patient this time around and see if this is something worth freaking out about. His low giveaway count and higher takeaway count just tells me he's not likely to help or hurt. someone has to chew up clock, but who knows if he can actually do it.

bruins04 is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 07:11 PM
  #552
Alan Ryan
Registered User
 
Alan Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,093
vCash: 500
Pandolfo has been with the Bruins since the start of training camp. They have had ample time to decide whether or not he can contribute.

If they decide to offer him a contract it will be based on their judgement that he fills a specific need.

Alan Ryan is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 07:13 PM
  #553
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Game time, baby
Country: United States
Posts: 39,501
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Pandolfo has been with the Bruins since the start of training camp. They have had ample time to decide whether or not he can contribute.

If they decide to offer him a contract it will be based on their judgement that he fills a specific need.
They could still get a 14th forward as well.

WBC8 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:02 AM
  #554
Mr. Make-Believe
Moderator
Pass me another nail
 
Mr. Make-Believe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Erotic Fantasies
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Usually these types of signings are just depth moves, but with the rumors mentioned earlier in the thread, I wonder if it could be a precursor to something?

I mean, if the B's were considering a 2 for 1 deal for someone like Carlson, then they'd have a hole in their lineup. Pandolfo could be a short-term fill-in.
Carlson is one lovely, lovely pipe dream.

But I too think this is a sign that Chiarelli has something up his sleeve. With the Thomas deal, the statements to the press and now this, it DOES seem as though there is something in the works.

I'll say too... Perhaps Chiarelli is looking for off-season cap solutions as WELL as improving the roster. Didn't think they would happen at the same time, but he's surprised me before.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 06:10 AM
  #555
flannelman
merde!
 
flannelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,695
vCash: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
More expensive. Kulikov is maybe a better player than Carlson and we have no reason to believe he is available whereas Carlson potentially is.
I thought I saw in one of those Weiss threads that his name was bandied about, but I could be very wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzothe7thDman View Post
I hate to compare players because of their nationality, because I see a lot of people do it and its annoying and lazy, but kulikov looks like a young Sergei Zubov. Great offensive instincts that looks to be breaking out very soon. Carlson is no less of a dman, just brings a different skill set.

With Gudbranson pegged to be the futture#1 dman in Florida, I feel like kulikov is destined to be the future permanent #2. The Zubov to their Hatcher type situation even though gudbranson should be a good deal better than Hatcher.

So in my opinion, kulikov may cost the same or a bit more in my opinion.
I can certainly see why FLA would want to hold onto Kulikov, but I don't think he's proven quite as much as Carlson, which is why I thought he might be a tad cheaper - but I've always been bad with value. Thank you both for your opines.

RE: Pandolfo. I'm fine with it. Don't think it can hurt. However, if you're signing him, why not bring back a board favorite and bring in PJ Axe

EDIT:

If we 'loan' a player to Providence (Lane for ex), does he still count against the cap? I suppose vs being demoted (ex Tardiff)? Would just like to understand that part of it better - thanks,


Last edited by flannelman: 02-12-2013 at 06:38 AM.
flannelman is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 06:45 AM
  #556
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17
 
GloryDaze4877's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Sticks (West MA)
Country: United States
Posts: 25,475
vCash: 500
Not a fan of Pandolfo being signed. Puts the B's at 49 contracts with prospects like Payne, Camara, Griffith unsigned. Can't see the B's not inking these guys, so if Pandolfo does sign, look for moves to be made.

GloryDaze4877 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 06:53 AM
  #557
remer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,771
vCash: 500
Chia trying to find lightening in a bottle again.
The smart move would be to pass.
Better options out there to spend the money on.
This reaks CJ's like for less than talented players.
Make the smart move and find a third line LW'er and find another top 3-4 defenseman.

The sooner the move the better. Give the new guys some time to gel with the team. Deadline deals rarely work well because the new player has to adapt very quickly in a short amount of time. In the past Chia has usually made deals before the deadline.

remer is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 06:57 AM
  #558
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
Chia trying to find lightening in a bottle again.
The smart move would be to pass.
Better options out there to spend the money on.
This reaks CJ's like for less than talented players.
Make the smart move and find a third line LW'er and find another top 3-4 defenseman.

The sooner the move the better. Give the new guys some time to gel with the team. Deadline deals rarely work well because the new player has to adapt very quickly in a short amount of time. In the past Chia has usually made deals before the deadline.
Claude likes less talented players?

Sorry, disagree, no doubt CJ likes and demands that the players he has play all 3 zones, completely disagree he would prefer a lesser skilled player taking the lineup spot from someone who has skill UNLESS, that skilled player is allergic to playing in his own end

ODAAT is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 07:02 AM
  #559
Paradise
Individual thinker
 
Paradise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Waiverpeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Claude likes less talented players?

Sorry, disagree, no doubt CJ likes and demands that the players he has play all 3 zones, completely disagree he would prefer a lesser skilled player taking the lineup spot from someone who has skill UNLESS, that skilled player is allergic to playing in his own end
Agreed. The idea that CJ likes less talented players is ridiculous

Paradise is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 07:06 AM
  #560
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Agreed. The idea that CJ likes less talented players is ridiculous
I hear ya

I think some of that belief comes/came from the Whitfield call-up days, fans here saw/see someone in Providence with more skill and wonder why they, as opposed to a guy like Whitfield didn`t get the call when clearly it was always about CJ feeling more comfortable with a vet who at least knows where his own end of the ice is.

I have long been a CJ backer, going back many moons here when a large portion of those posting here were calling for his head, huge fan of continuity and I could see what he was trying to do with the team (didn`t see a Cup of course) and he was and is just what this team needs.

Play 3 zones, you`ll have a chance to play for CJ, skilled or otherwise, see anyone on that 4th line as a pure example

ODAAT is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 07:17 AM
  #561
nycbruins*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,933
vCash: 500
Bruins are at 48 contracts. They got rid of thomas & added pandolfo to stay at 48.

nycbruins* is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 07:18 AM
  #562
JMiller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Watertown
Posts: 17,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I hear ya

I think some of that belief comes/came from the Whitfield call-up days, fans here saw/see someone in Providence with more skill and wonder why they, as opposed to a guy like Whitfield didn`t get the call when clearly it was always about CJ feeling more comfortable with a vet who at least knows where his own end of the ice is.

I have long been a CJ backer, going back many moons here when a large portion of those posting here were calling for his head, huge fan of continuity and I could see what he was trying to do with the team (didn`t see a Cup of course) and he was and is just what this team needs.

Play 3 zones, you`ll have a chance to play for CJ, skilled or otherwise, see anyone on that 4th line as a pure example
I understand what you're saying, but Whitflield type moves made more sense when the team was young, inexperienced and needed a steady veteran presence to remind them to play the game straight. This team doesn't- or shouldn't- need that. If they bring in a retread veteran presence now will onlu give julien a crutch that his team doesn't need. THey should know by now how to play the game and how to grind out games defensively.

JMiller is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 07:20 AM
  #563
whatsbruin
Registered User
 
whatsbruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Central, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leviathan View Post
Possibly a locker room acquisition?
Seriously ?

If they need more locker room presence, then their current guys
aren't cutting the mustard.
Chara, Thornton, Horton, Kelly, Ference, Sidenberg, come on, how much more do you need ?

And lets not forget Bergeron.
I bet some still think he's a youngin, but he's been in the league
for 10 years or so. He should be a locker room presence as well.

Heck, even the players you might think are new, like Lucic and
Marchand have been with the team for 4 years or so.

This is the type of signing I hate.
Yes he brings more experience, and less likely to hurt you, but
he will do nothing to help you.

I'd rather live with the growing pains in the regular season of a
player like Tardiff, Sauve, Spooner and get them ready for the
playoffs.

whatsbruin is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 07:22 AM
  #564
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
I hear you, but Whitflield type moves made sense when the team was young, inexperienced and needed a steady veteran presence to remind them to play the game straight. This team doesn't- or shouldn't- need that. If they bring in a retread veteran presence now will onlu give julien a crutch that his team doesn't need. THey should know by now how to play the game and how to grind out games defensively.
Agreed, while Whitfield brings/brought nobody out of their seats with offensive flair, some here recognized why he was brought in. Chia`s comments post TT`s move was that (paraphrase) he wanted to be in the conversation if there was a player out there he felt he could add to help this one and with a move like TT`s, I doubt he was referring to a guy making 1 sheet.

Not sure why, I just get this gut feeling that Chia, if the deal is out there, is going to add a significant player at the deadline, couldn`t in a millon years predict whom that would be but I just see Chia doing something big for the run to the Cup

ODAAT is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 07:24 AM
  #565
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsbruin View Post
Seriously ?

If they need more locker room presence, then their current guys
aren't cutting the mustard.
Chara, Thornton, Horton, Kelly, Ference, Sidenberg, come on, how much more do you need ?

And lets not forget Bergeron.
I bet some still think he's a youngin, but he's been in the league
for 10 years or so. He should be a locker room presence as well.

Heck, even the players you might think are new, like Lucic and
Marchand have been with the team for 4 years or so.

This is the type of signing I hate.
Yes he brings more experience, and less likely to hurt you, but
he will do nothing to help you.

I'd rather live with the growing pains in the regular season of a
player like Tardiff, Sauve, Spooner and get them ready for the
playoffs.
Agreed, anytime you listen to opinions about this team, some from fans here, others from the "experts" like Bob Mackenzie, the last thing they talk about is locker room or on ice leadership. This team has plenty of it

ODAAT is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 07:58 AM
  #566
Rookie Chargers
Registered User
 
Rookie Chargers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Quebec
Country: Azores
Posts: 7,751
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Agreed, anytime you listen to opinions about this team, some from fans here, others from the "experts" like Bob Mackenzie, the last thing they talk about is locker room or on ice leadership. This team has plenty of it
Claude likes players that don't cross his invisible lines he draws on the ice. Players that do what he says and understand why.

You look at their line changes, more often than not they look like dogs after a juicy bone then retreat to the bench. = Lost scoring chance, must happen a dozen times a game.

Rookie Chargers is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 08:25 AM
  #567
Old Time Sauce
Registered User
 
Old Time Sauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Chargers View Post
Claude likes players that don't cross his invisible lines he draws on the ice. Players that do what he says and understand why.

You look at their line changes, more often than not they look like dogs after a juicy bone then retreat to the bench. = Lost scoring chance, must happen a dozen times a game.
I think a NHL player understands when to change. 25 to 30 second shifts are better than staying out longer and getting caught dead and in your own zone. The goals to get off the ice before fatigue sets in. Not really a claude thing but a general rule of thumb

Old Time Sauce is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 08:28 AM
  #568
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Time Sauce View Post
I think a NHL player understands when to change. 25 to 30 second shifts are better than staying out longer and getting caught dead and in your own zone. The goals to get off the ice before fatigue sets in. Not really a claude thing but a general rule of thumb

Kaoz* is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 08:36 AM
  #569
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Beautiful find

ODAAT is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:03 AM
  #570
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ
 
DJENTLEMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 2,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsbruin View Post
Seriously ?

If they need more locker room presence, then their current guys
aren't cutting the mustard.
Chara, Thornton, Horton, Kelly, Ference, Sidenberg, come on, how much more do you need ?

And lets not forget Bergeron.
I bet some still think he's a youngin, but he's been in the league
for 10 years or so. He should be a locker room presence as well.

Heck, even the players you might think are new, like Lucic and
Marchand have been with the team for 4 years or so.

This is the type of signing I hate.
Yes he brings more experience, and less likely to hurt you, but
he will do nothing to help you.

I'd rather live with the growing pains in the regular season of a
player like Tardiff, Sauve, Spooner and get them ready for the
playoffs.
Believe me, you're preaching to the choir. I was just trying to wrap my head around the signing. The guy can't skate at an NHL level anymore, obviously can't help on the power play, and the Islanders chose to pass on keeping him on Long Island, so that was the only area left that could constitute the signing in my eyes.

DJENTLEMAN is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:04 AM
  #571
JMiller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Watertown
Posts: 17,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leviathan View Post
Believe me, you're preaching to the choir. I was just trying to wrap my head around the signing. The guy can't skate at an NHL level anymore, obviously can't help on the power play, and the Islanders chose to pass on keeping him on Long Island, so that was the only area left that could constitute the signing in my eyes.
My only guess is that they want him as a mentor in Providence.

JMiller is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:06 AM
  #572
bp13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
Chia trying to find lightening in a bottle again.
The smart move would be to pass.
Better options out there to spend the money on.
This reaks CJ's like for less than talented players.
Make the smart move and find a third line LW'er and find another top 3-4 defenseman.

The sooner the move the better. Give the new guys some time to gel with the team. Deadline deals rarely work well because the new player has to adapt very quickly in a short amount of time. In the past Chia has usually made deals before the deadline.
Yeah this makes sense. Coaches paid for performance usually like lesser talented players. I'm sure you're right.

bp13 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:11 AM
  #573
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,635
vCash: 500
Not really sure how I feel on Pandolfo, but I more then understand peoples issue with dedicating a roster spot to him.

I look at it and wonder just what Chiarelli's thoughts on Caron must now be? Really Pandolfo is a lesser version of Paille, and although fits in with CJ's system well and adds yet another defensive forward we already have a plethora of guys who can fill that role in Kelly, Peverly, Paille, Campbell, Bergeron and Marchand. I'm not sure I see the value add in Pandolfo honestly and had thought that 3rd line spot would be Caron's to fight for. Is this indicative of him needing far more time in Provo then many thought? Or is Chia attempting to foster a winning environment down there as well by leaving some of the producers in the AHL for the year?

It'd be nice to have a legit heavy like a Kassian to neutralize the other heavies like Scott and Orr but would bringing in a player like that mess with CJ's ability to roll 4 lines equally? Is a player like that even available? I'd rather just stick with Thornton (he can hang with Orr and should fair better against Scott next time around) and grab a physical 3rd line forward to compliment Pevs and Kelly between now and the deadline. Gimmie a solid hitter/energy guy with size on their wing. Maybe see if you can pull Jamie Devane out of Toronto with their apparent new direction.

Kaoz* is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:22 AM
  #574
MTaylorJ1
Registered User
 
MTaylorJ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Not really sure how I feel on Pandolfo, but I more then understand peoples issue with dedicating a roster spot to him.

I look at it and wonder just what Chiarelli's thoughts on Caron must now be? Really Pandolfo is a lesser version of Paille, and although fits in with CJ's system well and adds yet another defensive forward we already have a plethora of guys who can fill that role in Kelly, Peverly, Paille, Campbell, Bergeron and Marchand. I'm not sure I see the value add in Pandolfo honestly and had thought that 3rd line spot would be Caron's to fight for. Is this indicative of him needing far more time in Provo then many thought? Or is Chia attempting to foster a winning environment down there as well by leaving some of the producers in the AHL for the year?

It'd be nice to have a legit heavy like a Kassian to neutralize the other heavies like Scott and Orr but would bringing in a player like that mess with CJ's ability to roll 4 lines equally? Is a player like that even available? I'd rather just stick with Thornton (he can hang with Orr and should fair better against Scott next time around) and grab a physical 3rd line forward to compliment Pevs and Kelly between now and the deadline. Gimmie a solid hitter/energy guy with size on their wing. Maybe see if you can pull Jamie Devane out of Toronto with their apparent new direction.
Seems like MacArthur would be a good fit with Kelly and Peverley.

No thanks to any kind of heavy. Just ignore the plug like we did Sunday and the problem goes away.

MTaylorJ1 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:28 AM
  #575
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Seems like MacArthur would be a good fit with Kelly and Peverley.

No thanks to any kind of heavy. Just ignore the plug like we did Sunday and the problem goes away.
Very well could be, but depends on the asking price. The Leafs have a tendency to demand or even get 1st/2nd rounders out of teams for 20ish goal guys.

Kaoz* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.