HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's time for Capuano to go

Old
02-11-2013, 10:27 PM
iLandHer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
about the whole Nolan & playing vets vs kids. Why is Nolan fired because he won't play a kid, but Capuano isn't fired because he wouldn't play Nino last year? Just food for thought.
Because of this: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...lusMinus&pg=30

iLandHer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
yeah but i'm just pointing out that Capuano didn't play Nino, in part because he really didn't deserve anything more than 4th line minutes. Nolan very likely would have done the same with Nino.

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Isles Junkie

Third Line...where the hell are you?

Is it me, or does our 4th line get more ice time than our 3rd line. how is this possible?

Old
02-11-2013, 10:42 PM
bigd

I was always a Cap fan until tonight. I like the guy but this team is not responding to this coaching staff.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:46 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Coach can't help this team. They need talent. Get the talent, then get a coach. No coach worth anything will take a job setup for disaster.
Ugh! So tired of silly comments like this. A coach can setup a structure, discipline and winning attitude WAY before the wins start. Al was not successful immediately but as teh teams talent level improved he was ready to run with them. There is no reason why we can't get a bonafide winning coach in here to set the team up for success when the talent level goes up (if it does). It's more important than ever to get a seasoned coach in when you have young players like this. Why let them learn bad habits under a rookie coach that can stifle their development. I agree that Cappy needs to go and started a poll on this last season grading Cappy. He got a bad grade but people were not calling for a coaching move until now. I said that I thought Wang would have a short leash on him this season and I think he's on his way out. I just have a feeling about it...

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:47 PM
Islanderfan17

Please fire Cappy, I have been saying it since last season. The guy shows absolutely no fire and it reflects in how this team plays our third periods. I hate to use him as an example because I am not a huge fan of the guy, but John Tortorella would not settle with the ******** that this team pulls in the third period. We NEED a tougher coach who is going to discipline these guys. Doug friggen Weight, who has never coached in his life, shows more fire in one badly reffed game than Capuano has in his entire coaching stint.

Also, the decisions that Cappy makes are absolutely mind boggling. He never knows when to use his timeout (tonight was actually an exception, he used it at the right time IMO), he does not know the proper time to pull a goalie, and his system is pretty much non-existent.

What about Thompson? He seems like he'd be a hard ass coach who would drill the defensive side of the game into these ****ers brains.

Another early season losing skid, something needs to happen. I'm not saying it will be a cure all for this team or that it will even make a huge difference, but IMO Cappy is clearly a HORRIBLE coach and that should be enough of a reason to can him. Saying our owner/GM/roster sucks does not dismiss the fact that Cappy is absolutely clueless.

Islanderfan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:55 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
yeah but i'm just pointing out that Capuano didn't play Nino, in part because he really didn't deserve anything more than 4th line minutes. Nolan very likely would have done the same with Nino.
Nolan was completely against rebuilding if I recall correctly. He wanted no part of it and wanted veterans only. He would've limited Nino, but he also would've done it for everyone else.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:01 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

yeah I just do not see what getting Cappy fired is going to do. Snow and Wang will just hire another inexperienced coach and boom we are back to square one. Now if you can guarantee me a Dave Tippet type of coach I will sign on.

PROMputt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:01 PM
NYI365
Let's Go Islanders!

Brian Burke for GM and anybody other than Capuano for coach.

NYI365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:05 PM
19NYSports91

Notice how the Isles PP and PK is pretty good, but 5 on 5 have been awful. Capuano has nothing to do with the PP and PK.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:23 PM
RMimagery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Notice how the Isles PP and PK is pretty good, but 5 on 5 have been awful. Capuano has nothing to do with the PP and PK.
Exactly this. The team is playing so tentative in the 3rd period and it's not a new trend under Capuano.

But he sure has had some very unlucky bounces - should have some good karma coming our way. I've been pulling for him, though i'm starting to lose faith.

It has to turn around on Thursday. As Yogi said, "it's getting late early"...

p.s. can Boyes please put it on goal?!

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:34 PM
xIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
This is a very weak argument : the +/- !!

To be a "+", you have to be use on an offensive role, otherwise it's impossible to be a "+" when playing with players who never score like Reasoner and Pandolfo. And we all know Niederreiter was not ready for the NHL last year. Nothing to do with his +/- stats : he was not ready!

If you take a look here :http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...plusMinus&pg=1
you will notice that the +/- is more a team stats than an individual stats.

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:39 PM
xIsle

Quote:
Third Line...where the hell are you?

Is it me, or does our 4th line get more ice time than our 3rd line. how is this possible?
Because what you think is the 3rd line is the 4th line and vice versa.

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI365 View Post
Brian Burke for GM and anybody other than Capuano for coach.
no thanks on Burke for GM. But I wouldn't cry bloody murder if Burke was named President of Hockey Operations. a position which we actually don't have.

Damn I wish I was a billionaire. I'd buy the Isles and start treating them like a major league sports franchise.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:56 AM
LongIslandHockey36

Wang needs to go (or start spending). Snow needs to go within the next 2-3 years (I actually happen to love the strategy with Thomas, but once we move to Brooklyn, we need a veteran GM, not a makeshift one). It is not necessarily Capuano's fault, he was placed there by the top brass, but we need a genuine and credentialed NHL coach ASAP!

LongIslandHockey36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:58 AM
LongIslandHockey36

And I actually think Garth Snow isn't an awful GM, he is just a puppet of Wang, so I can't get angry at him.

LongIslandHockey36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:30 AM
wingnutks

LOL at everyone who thinks getting a better coach wouldnt make a difference. Are these the same people who think the next great 1st round pick will make this a playoff team?

wingnutks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:35 AM
LotteryForLife*

I was gonna post this tonight after the game. Totally agree. Time for a new direction. I know WangBucks will never fire Snow but he needs to go too

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:59 AM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandHockey36 View Post
And I actually think Garth Snow isn't an awful GM, he is just a puppet of Wang, so I can't get angry at him.
Exactly, between a cheap owner and no player wanting to come here, Garth has more obstacles than any GM I've ever seen. Not sure if he's a good GM or not but you shouldn't get angry with him.

Anybody with the Pride and Passion book by Botta and Fischler should read the section about Bill Torrey when he was the GM in Oakland for Charley Finley. No one could have predicted Bill would've been an elite GM because his hands were tied in his first job, too.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:46 AM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIsle View Post
This is a very weak argument : the +/- !!

To be a "+", you have to be use on an offensive role, otherwise it's impossible to be a "+" when playing with players who never score like Reasoner and Pandolfo. And we all know Niederreiter was not ready for the NHL last year. Nothing to do with his +/- stats : he was not ready!

If you take a look here :http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...plusMinus&pg=1
you will notice that the +/- is more a team stats than an individual stats.
While I understand that having a good rating is dependent largely on the team you're on, it also does give insight for particular players. Tavares was -6 and Hammonic was a +6 (the highest). Nino finished 2nd to last on the Isles with a -29 and was the worst forward on the team in this category and he played the least amount of games out of all the regulars. If he's supposed to be better than almost every guy on the roster, why was he the absolute worst in +/- as a forward? Reasoner managed more points and a better rating than Nino, how does that make sense?

Nino wasn't ready for the NHL last year and was obviously a defensive liability, regardless of who he was paired up with since all the people he was paired with had a better rating. He may turn out to be a great player, but he didn't deserve ice time last year, that's for sure and I'm not even sold on him being great.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:31 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Capuano signed his death warrant last night.

Quote:
"It's getting repetitious standing up here," Capuano said. "I thought some guys were soft tonight. We didn't win many puck battles . . . I don't know how much you can shake up."
When a coach says "I don't know" it's over. That's the one thing coaches are responsible for more than anything: knowing their team.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:19 AM
19NYSports91

The fact that Streit got the most ice time (27 mins) is mind-boggling. I was at the game and I noticed every time the first line was out, Streit and Hickey were out as well. Why would you have a line that isn't too good defensively(boyes, moulson) play with Streit and Hickey? Makes no sense.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:31 AM
bigd

Quote:
The fact that Streit got the most ice time (27 mins) is mind-boggling. I was at the game and I noticed every time the first line was out, Streit and Hickey were out as well. Why would you have a line that isn't too good defensively(boyes, moulson) play with Streit and Hickey? Makes no sense.
In the third period he let a guy beat him to the back boards for the puck. He looked like he was looking over his shoulder and didn't want to take the hit to make a play. That's not what you want from your Captain.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:36 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
In the third period he let a guy beat him to the back boards for the puck. He looked like he was looking over his shoulder and didn't want to take the hit to make a play. That's not what you want from your Captain.
I've seen him get beat to the outside every single time. To get by him is very easy, fake inside and then skate right around him to the outside.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:46 AM
bigd

Quote:
I've seen him get beat to the outside every single time. To get by him is very easy, fake inside and then skate right around him to the outside.
He got beat because he didn't want to take the hit, not because the other guy was better or faster.