HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Top '97 for 2013 Q draft

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2013, 08:35 PM
  #326
hockey jockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemQ View Post
I could make a list of players that were good players in midget AAA, players that might have been drafted in the middle rounds, only to show up at an interview with an Agent...WTF!!!!
Lets see your list , sound like you know what your talking about

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:48 AM
  #327
IslandScouter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Prince Edward Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemQ View Post
I could make a list of players that were good players in midget AAA, players that might have been drafted in the middle rounds, only to show up at an interview with an Agent...WTF!!!!


yup you said it, lets see your list???

IslandScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:19 AM
  #328
AJ24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Do not forget Curtis Scales from Goose Bay, NL, he plays for CIHA Voyageurs Minor Midget AAA in the Ontario East Minor AAA hockey league.
He is the team top player ans scorer. He plays for the worst team in the league, but collects at least one point per game.

http://oemhlaaa.stats.pointstreak.co...&seasonid=9582

AJ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:15 AM
  #329
Dogpound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ24 View Post
Do not forget Curtis Scales from Goose Bay, NL, he plays for CIHA Voyageurs Minor Midget AAA in the Ontario East Minor AAA hockey league.
He is the team top player ans scorer. He plays for the worst team in the league, but collects at least one point per game.

http://oemhlaaa.stats.pointstreak.co...&seasonid=9582
he wouldn't be draft eligable for the Q if he is playing Minor hockey in Ontario. he would be OHL Territory if he is living there.

Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:16 AM
  #330
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ24 View Post
Do not forget Curtis Scales from Goose Bay, NL, he plays for CIHA Voyageurs Minor Midget AAA in the Ontario East Minor AAA hockey league.
He is the team top player ans scorer. He plays for the worst team in the league, but collects at least one point per game.

http://oemhlaaa.stats.pointstreak.co...&seasonid=9582
Other kids playing in Ontario to watch for are D Adam Holwell (Mississauga Senators, GTHL) and F/D Cody Petawabano (Oakville Rangers, SCTA).
Holwell is from Newfoundland and Petawabano is from Northern Québec and is the son of Rodney Petawabano who played one season for Chicoutimi in 1991-92 even though he had no prior organized hockey training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpound View Post
he wouldn't be draft eligable for the Q if he is playing Minor hockey in Ontario. he would be OHL Territory if he is living there.
There are a handful of kids every year that are drafted out of Ontario, yet people continue to say this..
Moving somewhere to play does not change residency unless there are special circumstances.

You do realize that if this were true, players like Crosby, Esposito, Lecavalier, and MacKinnon would have been WHL territory players, right?


Last edited by jfb392: 02-11-2013 at 10:24 AM.
jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:19 PM
  #331
AJ24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
CIHA, Canadian International Hockey Academy in Rockland Ontario, kind of Prepschool, teams play full schedules at the "AAA" and "AA" levels of the Ottawa District Minor Hockey Association (ODMHA). Last year 4 players were drafted in Q: Nicholas Latulippe, Nick Marois, Antoine Dagenais and Maxime Chevalier.
I don't believe that Curtis Staples lives permanently in Ontario, he goes to school and plays hockey, I think he is eligible to the Q draft since he is from NL.

AJ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:52 AM
  #332
NBHockey
finish your checks
 
NBHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ24 View Post
I don't believe that Curtis Staples lives permanently in Ontario, he goes to school and plays hockey, I think he is eligible to the Q draft since he is from NL.
Curtis Scales was a good player in the ACC events when he attended as a U14 and U15 player. He gets over shadowed by Noel and Picco, but is a very good player. He was always a bit on the small side, wonder if he has grown?

Yet another Atlantic kid that chooses to go elsewhere to play. CIHA is not the best situation for all kids in terms of school. Their ILM and eLearning while will work for a dedicated student can really hinder a player who has to write an SAT or entrance exam at a later date.

I just don't know why all these kids go away to play hockey. When I look at the ones that have returned, I don't see where they have developed beyond the kids that didn't. In some cases, I think the kids that stayed here have developed more.

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:22 AM
  #333
IslandScouter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Prince Edward Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
Speaking of kids away, how are islanders Michael Evoy and Nathan Sanderson doing this year?

IslandScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:25 AM
  #334
ClemQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
Curtis Scales was a good player in the ACC events when he attended as a U14 and U15 player. He gets over shadowed by Noel and Picco, but is a very good player. He was always a bit on the small side, wonder if he has grown?

Yet another Atlantic kid that chooses to go elsewhere to play. CIHA is not the best situation for all kids in terms of school. Their ILM and eLearning while will work for a dedicated student can really hinder a player who has to write an SAT or entrance exam at a later date.

I just don't know why all these kids go away to play hockey. When I look at the ones that have returned, I don't see where they have developed beyond the kids that didn't. In some cases, I think the kids that stayed here have developed more.
i'm not sure how it works in NFLD, or where this kid is from, but i've been involved in hockey at a coaching and scouting capacity for the past 15yrs in NB. There seems to be lots of preferential treatment in hockey in NB. Depending who's your parents, depending on who's summer camps you've attended....who's hockey school you have attended, seems to all play in decisions on who makes AAA teams. Some kids who were great in Atom and played for all the right summer teams, are in midget AAA. Most are absolutely good enough, but, there are some that are left out and think they deserve a better outcome and they go looking for it elsewhere.

I agree with you, most are not better develloped elsewhere. I'm of the opinion that you can have the greatest coaches in the world and the greatest facilities in the world, but, in the end the player alone will decide how they progress. You can't teach work ethic. you can preach it, but you can't teach it.

ClemQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:03 AM
  #335
NBHockey
finish your checks
 
NBHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemQ View Post
i'm not sure how it works in NFLD, or where this kid is from, but i've been involved in hockey at a coaching and scouting capacity for the past 15yrs in NB. There seems to be lots of preferential treatment in hockey in NB. Depending who's your parents, depending on who's summer camps you've attended....who's hockey school you have attended, seems to all play in decisions on who makes AAA teams. Some kids who were great in Atom and played for all the right summer teams, are in midget AAA. Most are absolutely good enough, but, there are some that are left out and think they deserve a better outcome and they go looking for it elsewhere.

I agree with you, most are not better develloped elsewhere. I'm of the opinion that you can have the greatest coaches in the world and the greatest facilities in the world, but, in the end the player alone will decide how they progress. You can't teach work ethic. you can preach it, but you can't teach it.
Agreed, you make some good points there. If a player is a good player, and doesn't have a local option to play Major Midget, it makes sense. I know in Moncton that was the case for probably a couple of kids this year.

What about Bantam age players? We had a couple leave last year and the year before from Moncton, and Fredericton and Saint John had a few elect to go with something other than Bantam AAA. From what I have seen, they aren't any further ahead than the kids that stayed in Bantam. I guess if you have a spare $40000 laying around you might do it, I kind of wonder if it isn't more about status than hockey.

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:54 PM
  #336
ClemQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
Agreed, you make some good points there. If a player is a good player, and doesn't have a local option to play Major Midget, it makes sense. I know in Moncton that was the case for probably a couple of kids this year.

What about Bantam age players? We had a couple leave last year and the year before from Moncton, and Fredericton and Saint John had a few elect to go with something other than Bantam AAA. From what I have seen, they aren't any further ahead than the kids that stayed in Bantam. I guess if you have a spare $40000 laying around you might do it, I kind of wonder if it isn't more about status than hockey.
sometimes you can't protect the hockey dad from living his dream through his kids eyes i guess
the perception i think is that you have to go away to be good at hockey....you know, the feel good story!!! i left home at 15 to play hockey. yada, yada yada.
i think if your good...your good!!! it doesnt matter where you are, or where you have been. Scouts will find you. The stephens brothers that played for the wildcats are proof, and there are many others!

ClemQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:14 PM
  #337
hockey jockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
Agreed, you make some good points there. If a player is a good player, and doesn't have a local option to play Major Midget, it makes sense. I know in Moncton that was the case for probably a couple of kids this year.

What about Bantam age players? We had a couple leave last year and the year before from Moncton, and Fredericton and Saint John had a few elect to go with something other than Bantam AAA. From what I have seen, they aren't any further ahead than the kids that stayed in Bantam. I guess if you have a spare $40000 laying around you might do it, I kind of wonder if it isn't more about status than hockey.
I agree with what you are saying some do it for status and some for the hockey but those other options are there and some will always explore them, as far as what is better who knows, Sidney Crosby's , Brad Richards , Vincent Lecavalier and many other high end players all left home at a young age to play hockey would they have been as good if they stayed home ?.This year 4 or 5 of NFLDS top players are away playing hockey and Nathan Noel will likely be a first round pick in the Q draft this year these schools must offer some good programs.

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:29 PM
  #338
AJ24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
I am wondering if Crosby and co. have paid to play in these colleges or Prepschool.
I guess the top players don't pay, the rest are probably paying for them.

AJ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:29 PM
  #339
hockey jockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ24 View Post
I am wondering if Crosby and co. have paid to play in these colleges or Prepschool.
I guess the top players don't pay, the rest are probably paying for them.
I have been told that Noel and Picco who both are at Shattuck the last two years have had to pay there way like the rest of the students somewhere in the 40-50k range not sure what Noels father does for a living but Picco's dad is a Lawyer.I am sure there are different deals for each situation, two other NFLD players that I know of that went away are Scales and Howell I think both are in Ontario.

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:00 PM
  #340
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post
I have been told that Noel and Picco who both are at Shattuck the last two years have had to pay there way like the rest of the students somewhere in the 40-50k range not sure what Noels father does for a living but Picco's dad is a Lawyer.I am sure there are different deals for each situation, two other NFLD players that I know of that went away are Scales and Howell I think both are in Ontario.
noel's dad is also a lawyer.

which kids are going to get drafted out out of the nl aaa midget league? any? or are all the good players gone away?

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:46 PM
  #341
NBHockey
finish your checks
 
NBHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post
I agree with what you are saying some do it for status and some for the hockey but those other options are there and some will always explore them, as far as what is better who knows, Sidney Crosby's , Brad Richards , Vincent Lecavalier and many other high end players all left home at a young age to play hockey would they have been as good if they stayed home ?.This year 4 or 5 of NFLDS top players are away playing hockey and Nathan Noel will likely be a first round pick in the Q draft this year these schools must offer some good programs.
Those players you mention, they would have been found no matter where they played, and yes I think they would have been as good. That's my point, the level of play in Atlantic Canada is good enough to get you to the next level if you are good enough, so why spend the money? All three of those players are excellent to be sure, but they are not necessarily the best players in the NHL right now. Not all the players in the NHL went to prep school.

I've been told no one goes for free.. everyone pays something, some pay more than others but they all pay.

I think ClemQ hit the nail on the head.. more about status and dads living through the kid. If its a bantam player, the kid is 14 years old.. who the heck wants that? Its bad enough for the 16 year olds.

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:06 PM
  #342
ClemQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
Those players you mention, they would have been found no matter where they played, and yes I think they would have been as good. That's my point, the level of play in Atlantic Canada is good enough to get you to the next level if you are good enough, so why spend the money? All three of those players are excellent to be sure, but they are not necessarily the best players in the NHL right now. Not all the players in the NHL went to prep school.

I've been told no one goes for free.. everyone pays something, some pay more than others but they all pay.

I think ClemQ hit the nail on the head.. more about status and dads living through the kid. If its a bantam player, the kid is 14 years old.. who the heck wants that? Its bad enough for the 16 year olds.
yes, i believe they all pay. different amounts, but they all pay. My understanding is that the level of scholarship is mostly based on ability to pay, and not skill level or hockey valuation.

that's my understanding, from my exposure.

ClemQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:38 AM
  #343
hockey jockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
Those players you mention, they would have been found no matter where they played, and yes I think they would have been as good. That's my point, the level of play in Atlantic Canada is good enough to get you to the next level if you are good enough, so why spend the money? All three of those players are excellent to be sure, but they are not necessarily the best players in the NHL right now. Not all the players in the NHL went to prep school.

I've been told no one goes for free.. everyone pays something, some pay more than others but they all pay.

I think ClemQ hit the nail on the head.. more about status and dads living through the kid. If its a bantam player, the kid is 14 years old.. who the heck wants that? Its bad enough for the 16 year olds.
I think it is up to each individual as to the path they take everyone is entitled to there opinion right or wrong, I do agree lots of Dads try to live the dream through there kids no question about that.

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:53 AM
  #344
ClemQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post
I think it is up to each individual as to the path they take everyone is entitled to there opinion right or wrong, I do agree lots of Dads try to live the dream through there kids no question about that.
Agreed! As much as hockey dads and moms can be "over the top", i believe any Sane parent makes the best decision for their kids with the information they have in front of them. The other aspect that we neglect to mention is the education portion. There is something to be said about having your kid in an environment where there are essentially 2 things they worry about daily - Education and Hockey.

Those prep schools are great for keeping kids focused on getting educated. I know for me personally, nothing to do with hockey whatsoever, but i personally like the idea of knowing my son is in class everyday, and in class with a group of "like minded" kids. For the most part they strive for the same objectives, and they use hockey as the vehicle to keep them focused in school.


anyway....your right...many views, many different ways. Each person does what they think is best.

ClemQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:44 AM
  #345
NBHockey
finish your checks
 
NBHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Most Prep schools are full of rich people's kids. Some of those kids are sent there because they get into trouble etc. It doesn't gaurantee that the school environment is better here.

Anyone seen the U16 lists for the other Provinces out yet?

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:39 PM
  #346
hockey jockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
Most Prep schools are full of rich people's kids. Some of those kids are sent there because they get into trouble etc. It doesn't gaurantee that the school environment is better here.

Anyone seen the U16 lists for the other Provinces out yet?
I have not seen a thing as of yet , spoke with a guy in NS he said it could be a while longer not sure on the other two provinces or Quebec

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:35 AM
  #347
NBHockey
finish your checks
 
NBHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post
I have not seen a thing as of yet , spoke with a guy in NS he said it could be a while longer not sure on the other two provinces or Quebec
They are slow..

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:08 PM
  #348
AJ24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Are you talking about Quebec teams that will participate in the tournament which will replace the QMJHL Combined ?
If yes, they will probably announce the players after the MAAA playoffs

AJ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:49 PM
  #349
UncMike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ24 View Post
Are you talking about Quebec teams that will participate in the tournament which will replace the QMJHL Combined ?
If yes, they will probably announce the players after the MAAA playoffs
Will that tourney just be for '97s or will '96s be invited also?

UncMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:19 PM
  #350
hockey jockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncMike View Post
Will that tourney just be for '97s or will '96s be invited also?
That is just for 97 born players , the Atlantic teams used to have there own U-16 Challenge Cup this year it includes two teams from Quebec and it will replace the Q combine.

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.