HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 01:00 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
You know who could really make a dramatic theme-music entrance right now? Konstantin Barulin.

Too bad it won't happen. Probably can't happen as long as his KHL team is playing.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:07 AM
underslept

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Sorry guys! Don't want you to think I'm invading your forum here but these statements tell me how little you watch Toronto games, and how much you truly know about Dion Phaneuf.

He's been extremely good this season. He was being overplayed to start the year and is playing with a rookie partner in Mike Kostka (who hasn't looked so shabby either).

Just want to clear the misconception that Phaneuf and Brewer do not belong in the same sentence - its insulting. He is a top pairing D-man, no doubt about that.

You guys can keep Perron because I'll have absolutely no interest in trading Phaneuf for Perron.

Cheers! Hope you guys can turn it around soon as I spend a bunch of my nights watching Blues hockey and I enjoy it.

Backes was noticeably upset with the dynamic of your team. He called out a bunch of players indirectly where he blamed them for playing for themselves and stat-padding rather than sacrificing their bodies and playing a team game.

I guess this happens with a young team. Time for Hitchcock to ditch the niceness he learnt from Wally Buono and become a hard-ass again.
I'm not comparing him to Brewer head-to-head. Brewer is more a reference for a guy playing #1D who isn't capable night in and night out of playing #1D.

IMO, Phaneuf is ideally a #3 defenseman and at best a fringe #2. Pietrangelo can play with anyone and find success so if Army got Phaneuf it's not the end of the world, I'm just stating if we're going to shell out for a #1D, I'd prefer to go after someone who's a true #1D, not someone who's paid like one.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:39 AM
Gxgear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydif View Post
Luongo to Blues, Halak to Leafs, D and C to Canucks
Vancouver's 5th defenseman is a 4-million-dollar man, and Kesler is on the cusp of returning.

The only thing Canucks would want from Leafs are [G]ardiner and [K]adri, with a backup goaltender on the side.

Last edited by Gxgear: 02-12-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old
02-12-2013, 02:05 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gxgear View Post
Vancouver's 5th defenseman is a 4-million-dollar man, and Kesler is on the cusp of returning.

The only thing Canucks would want from Leafs are [G]ardiner and [K]adri, with a backup goaltender on the side.
I think I speak for everyone in kindly requesting we not have any more posts debating Luongo's worth in terms of Toronto's roster in this thread or on the Blues board generally.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:28 AM
Gxgear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I think I speak for everyone in kindly requesting we not have any more posts debating Luongo's worth in terms of Toronto's roster in this thread or on the Blues board generally.
Just stumbled upon this if you'll excuse my intrusion. I wasn't talking about worth though, just listing Leafs' trade assets.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:33 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

I'm not going to be a homer here as Phaneuf is being drastically undervalued with the intangibles and leadership he adds. I think to even start talking about Toronto parting ways with Phaneuf, then you will have to plan on losing 2 players in your top 9. There is no way I trade Phaneuf for Perron. If I was offered Phaneuf for Perron, then I would check the calendar for April Fool's day. Phaneuf would cost you Backes, if there is one player that they MIGHT consider trading one for one. I would want more, if I'm the Maple Leafs. Phaneuf is like having a Scott Stevens on your team.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Quaz

According to Strickland Philly was scouting the Blues tonight and Armstrong was in Toronto for the Flyers/Leafs game. Not sure who they would be looking at w/ Philly. Something may be cooking.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:29 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaz View Post
According to Strickland Philly was scouting the Blues tonight and Armstrong was in Toronto for the Flyers/Leafs game. Not sure who they would be looking at w/ Philly. Something may be cooking.
They lost Hartnell for a number of weeks. They could use a LW. D'Agostini?

Old
02-12-2013, 08:35 AM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
If Tavares were to become available, do you think we'd go after him? How much do you think we would offer?

Old
02-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Alklha

If Tavares was available, we'd go after him. As would 20+ other teams. There is a better chance of Malkin or Crosby becoming available though...

Old
02-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
If Tavares was available, we'd go after him. As would 20+ other teams. There is a better chance of Malkin or Crosby becoming available though...
The reason I brought it up was that thread on the main boards about him being / looking frustrated with the isles and maybe he asks for a trade. A dream at this point to be sure, but it's fun to speculate. I'd start with Perron and Shattenkirk, maybe add Someone else for an RHD to come back.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:56 AM
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!

vCash: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaz View Post
Article said the Blues "could use" a Defenseman.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
Article said the Blues "could use" a Defenseman.
I don't think it is a dman issue right now. Honestly, I think we have way too many skilled players and not Physical enough. Man, I really think we need to beef up the 4th line with Porter.

We are not hard to play against - meaning mean. We have some physical players, but we not physically beating the oppositions dmen - they are beating on ours. Our 4th line looked best with Schwartz and Reaves - in the ducks game where Schwartz hit everything and so did Reaves. Nichol looks lost and waisted.

Redden has been playing pretty well. Cole is up and down, but for the most part solid. Russell is the only one who has looked pretty bad, IMO. I am not sure adding a dman changes anything for us. Where maybe getting in a 3rd line center, moving Steen back to wing, and getting Porter up to it blow up dmen. Moving D'Agostini will open up space in the line up. Maybe Phili wants to dump a 3rd line center?

Old
02-12-2013, 09:33 AM
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!

vCash: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
I don't think it is a dman issue right now. Honestly, I think we have way too many skilled players and not Physical enough. Man, I really think we need to beef up the 4th line with Porter.

We are not hard to play against - meaning mean. We have some physical players, but we not physically beating the oppositions dmen - they are beating on ours. Our 4th line looked best with Schwartz and Reaves - in the ducks game where Schwartz hit everything and so did Reaves. Nichol looks lost and waisted.

Redden has been playing pretty well. Cole is up and down, but for the most part solid. Russell is the only one who has looked pretty bad, IMO. I am not sure adding a dman changes anything for us. Where maybe getting in a 3rd line center, moving Steen back to wing, and getting Porter up to it blow up dmen. Moving D'Agostini will open up space in the line up. Maybe Phili wants to dump a 3rd line center?
The Flyers, according to the article, are looking for "Offensive help"

Old
02-12-2013, 09:48 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Couturier would sure look good in a Blues uniform....

Old
02-12-2013, 09:49 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2370
I'm just glad I didn't waste money on my new jersey yet...No clue who's getting traded/re-signed.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Prongo
Beer

What about Danny Briere to the Blues, especially with the Flyers slipping out of playoff contention. He has the perfect type of contract for a budget team, high cap hit, low salary. He makes 5 million combined the next two years but has a 6.5 million cap hit. He would look good on the Blues and also would provide you guys with a quality second line center/winger. He is also a great leader.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:29 AM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
What about Danny Briere to the Blues, especially with the Flyers slipping out of playoff contention. He has the perfect type of contract for a budget team, high cap hit, low salary. He makes 5 million combined the next two years but has a 6.5 million cap hit. He would look good on the Blues and also would provide you guys with a quality second line center/winger. He is also a great leader.
I like Briere, what would you be looking for in return though?

Old
02-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
I like Briere, what would you be looking for in return though?
Of course Alex Pietrangelo.....

Seriously though, a 1st rounder and a good defense prospect at the deadline. Maybe a 1st and Ian Cole? Too much from the Blues?

Old
02-12-2013, 10:42 AM
SirPaste

Quote:

Seriously though, a 1st rounder and a good defense prospect at the deadline. Maybe a 1st and Ian Cole? Too much from the Blues?
We cant really trade Cole unelss another dman is coming back, Redden is terrible. Your value isnt far off though, I could see something being worked out here.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:

Seems like an over payment, not a big one, but still an over payment.

Plus, the Blues need Cole if a defenseman is not coming back.

Given Philly is supposedly looking for offensive help, I am not sure trading Briere for futures makes sense.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:47 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Last season, Armstrong made the bold move of firing the coach and bringing in Hitchcock. This season, I smell a trade coming.

Perron has the tools to be a star player in this league. He could be Datsyukian at times. But he also doesn't seem to know how to play with his linemates consistently. He tries to stickhandle and take on two defenders instead of making the quick pass to the guy that has no defenders on him. Sometimes he succeeds and makes a highlight reel scoring chance. But most of the time he coughs up the puck eventually.

I love watching Perron when he's 'good Perron'. And I think he may yet put it all together. But if he were moved in a trade for a top 6 center I think the Blues would be a better team. Steen moves back to wing.

I'm not so sure the Blues can spare to trade off a defenseman, but maybe they can with Redden added to the mix.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:48 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Oh, and the notion that Phaneuf isn't suited to the top pairing (with Pietro) is probably not one that is universally held by Blues fans. I don't see that trade happening anyway, but he's a worthy player who would look good in the lineup.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Prongo
Beer

How about one of your 3 top 10 defensive prospects? Cade Fairchild/Jordan Schmultz/Jani Hakanpaa? I would probably want Schmultz over the others, but wouldn't mind either of them.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:50 AM
SirPaste

Quote:
How about one of your 3 top 10 defensive prospects? Cade Fairchild/Jordan Schmultz/Jani Hakanpaa? I would probably want Schmultz over the others, but wouldn't mind either of them.
Id do a 1st and Fairchild in a heartbeat

Closed Thread