HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

HOH Top-40 Goalies Voter Record - Canadiens1958

Old
02-11-2013, 09:38 PM
tombombadil

vCash: 500
I never for one second questioned Thomas getting the Smythe that year. 940% and absolutely buried Luongo, who had been playing very well. I actually don't know of a better example of a goalie getting in the head of not just the other teams' shooters, but way inside the other team's goalie's head. The tire-pumping interview said it all.

Seidenberg, I felt, was definitely the best dman on Boston, by a clear, yet slight, margin. I thought their defense was actually kind of porous throughout that whole run, for long stretches of time, anyways. They played a tough team game, and that stifled a lot of opposing offense, but they gave away a ton of odd man rushes, too. Thomas, well geez, that was one of the best performances in the playoffs that I've seen. Hasek, Quick, Roy on two occasions, and Giguere are the only ones in my lifetime that I would put in the same echelon.

tombombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:18 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
See a lot of the Hurricanes that year in the playoffs?
off the top of my head, I may have seen every game of theirs except 4 of the Devils games.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
off the top of my head, I may have seen every game of theirs except 4 of the Devils games.
But you forget Stillman getting on the score sheet in 13 straight games, and held off the sheet only 4 times in those 25 games? 3 GWGs was second to Brindamour's 4, but he outscored ("pointed") Brindamour by a mile via that consistent contribution.

Brindamour was also great, but it was Stillman clicking with Staal that drove the Hurricane offense. He played solid all over the ice, too, helping him finish at the top of the list with Brindamour at +12. Brindamour did log a lot of minutes on the PK during that run (Stillman, none), but the PK was totally average - especially on the road - so it's hard to give too many "bonus points" for being out there in those situations.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Just playing devil's advocate. If the PK was average with Brind'Amour, and Brind'Amour was awesome throughout the entire the playoffs...then, maybe the Canes PK is so bad without him that they don't get out of the first round?

I definitely wouldn't give it to Stillman. He wasn't even the best player on his line. I respect what he did, but his performance wasn't CS worthy to me, respectfully. I have no idea what the numbers say, Brind'Amour might have only had 9 points in that playoffs, I'd still give it to him...he was terrific.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Just playing devil's advocate. If the PK was average with Brind'Amour, and Brind'Amour was awesome throughout the entire the playoffs...then, maybe the Canes PK is so bad without him that they don't get out of the first round?

I definitely wouldn't give it to Stillman. He wasn't even the best player on his line. I respect what he did, but his performance wasn't CS worthy to me, respectfully. I have no idea what the numbers say, Brind'Amour might have only had 9 points in that playoffs, I'd still give it to him...he was terrific.
I'm not even saying he should have won it. Just surprised that anyone could totally forget/dismiss what he was doing - particularly through the first 3 rounds. Just a reminder or synopsis from the time: Carolina's Conn Smythe Candidates (Jun. 9/06) - USA Today.

Another article written after being awarded to Ward only highlights Brindamour and Stillman - doesn't even mention Staal - as two guys that wouldn't have surprised anyone in a year when "several players could have been selected".

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:23 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I know this is a wacky thought from left field, but I'd have given the Smythe to that Cam Ward guy.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I know this is a wacky thought from left field, but I'd have given the Smythe to that Cam Ward guy.
Boooo!!! *chucks a rotten tomato*

Yeah, he's not a bad choice himself...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
That surprises me, that you wouldn't have conseidered Stillman as one of their top skater having seen all the games. Seemed like he was making most of the big plays for the Canes.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombombadil View Post
I never for one second questioned Thomas getting the Smythe that year. 940% and absolutely buried Luongo, who had been playing very well. I actually don't know of a better example of a goalie getting in the head of not just the other teams' shooters, but way inside the other team's goalie's head. The tire-pumping interview said it all.

Seidenberg, I felt, was definitely the best dman on Boston, by a clear, yet slight, margin. I thought their defense was actually kind of porous throughout that whole run, for long stretches of time, anyways. They played a tough team game, and that stifled a lot of opposing offense, but they gave away a ton of odd man rushes, too. Thomas, well geez, that was one of the best performances in the playoffs that I've seen. Hasek, Quick, Roy on two occasions, and Giguere are the only ones in my lifetime that I would put in the same echelon.
Agree 100%.

If I were a hockey player I'd agree 110%.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I'm not even saying he should have won it. Just surprised that anyone could totally forget/dismiss what he was doing - particularly through the first 3 rounds. Just a reminder or synopsis from the time: Carolina's Conn Smythe Candidates (Jun. 9/06) - USA Today.

Another article written after being awarded to Ward only highlights Brindamour and Stillman - doesn't even mention Staal - as two guys that wouldn't have surprised anyone in a year when "several players could have been selected".
At that point in his career, Staal was a huge defensive liability.