HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

~The Beer and Nightlife Thread V4~ Bring On the Doppelbock

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 08:00 PM
JimsDoors

vCash: 500

Old
02-07-2013, 01:25 PM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsDoors View Post
Great Lakes releasing a new beer this month.

https://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/ne...our-double-ipa
It's made with a new variety of hops, Mosaic.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:15 AM
WVP

Hopslam > Nugget Nectar this year. Not an opinion I have held in the past.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

The OP needs more Goose Island in the North America category.

Meantime, would anyone care to guess what beer is Joe's favorite? Hint: Joe doesn't like IPAs because bitter beers are just as much beneath him as bitter people are.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
The OP needs less Goose Island in the North America category.

Meantime, would anyone care to guess what beer is Joe's favorite? Hint: Joe doesn't like IPAs because bitter beers are just as much beneath him as bitter people are.
Fixed

Old
02-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Damn. I missed out on Hopslam this year. Picking up some Nugget Nectar today.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:31 AM
WVP

I've been to Goose Island and they've made plenty of good stuff over the years. The AB purchase still rubs me the wrong way though.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I've been to Goose Island and they've made plenty of good stuff over the years. The AB purchase still rubs me the wrong way though.
Yeah that's my issue. I know it's probably silly, but I want no part in the consolidation of the craft beer industry. So I will not purchase beer from any craft brewery that sells to the big boys.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:50 PM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Agreed.

I had the Victory NATO IPA the other day on tap, very good and citrusy. Was looking for the reason they went with NATO (even has NATO's logo on the tap), but there is no info for this beer in general on Victory's site, let alone an explanation...

Old
02-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Yeah that's my issue. I know it's probably silly, but I want no part in the consolidation of the craft beer industry. So I will not purchase beer from any craft brewery that sells to the big boys.
There's nothing silly about it. In my book they're no longer a microbrewery and deserve to be shunned.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
02-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Wow. I am out of it; I hadn't heard that and it is distressing. Hopefully they don't mess with the recipes. 312 is good stuff.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Thoughts on Maker's Mark watering their product down, anyone?

Demand for Maker's Mark has gone through the roof over the past 7 years, so they've decided to reduce the ABV to stretch out the supply (AKA water it down).

I've never been much of a Maker's Mark drinker (I don't drink much bourbon, and when I do it's usually Buffalo Trace), but it's hard to see me buying it any time soon. Considering the move was done to help meet demand it's clear that the price won't go down, and I considered it overpriced for the quality of it to begin with.

Such a shame to see something like that happen. I'm not sure which development is more disturbing...this or Goose Island selling out. I'm leaning towards this one just because of the impact it may have on the industry as a whole...Goose Island (which happened almost 2 years ago) is a more isolated incident. Most of the good, larger microbreweries are on stable financial ground.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

The responses I've heard from Bourbon snobs is, they are very disappoint, but saw it coming because it used to be a more rare commodity and now you can get it in places like Fridays and what not. They will not be buying in the future.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:58 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Thoughts on Maker's Mark watering their product down, anyone?

Demand for Maker's Mark has gone through the roof over the past 7 years, so they've decided to reduce the ABV to stretch out the supply (AKA water it down).

I've never been much of a Maker's Mark drinker (I don't drink much bourbon, and when I do it's usually Buffalo Trace), but it's hard to see me buying it any time soon. Considering the move was done to help meet demand it's clear that the price won't go down, and I considered it overpriced for the quality of it to begin with.

Such a shame to see something like that happen. I'm not sure which development is more disturbing...this or Goose Island selling out. I'm leaning towards this one just because of the impact it may have on the industry as a whole...Goose Island (which happened almost 2 years ago) is a more isolated incident. Most of the good, larger microbreweries are on stable financial ground.
I think it's BS. I am part of their ambassador program (based on a tip from Dock here if I remember right) and I thought the email on Sunday was a spoof.

This decision comes to down to them making as much money as possible. Sell less until you can meet demand or raise the price. I am not THAT mad but I wasn't a big enough fanatic that I'm not going to go elsewhere from here out.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:02 PM
WVP

I've been migrating towards craft liquor anyways.....

On that note - Boyd and Blair vodka from Pittsburgh is absolutely top notch. A must buy.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

I want to get into craft liquor, but the costs are prohibitive when it comes to trial and error.

I'm absolutely in love with this stuff

...but I can get 3.5 liters of Crown Royal for the cost of a fifth of Roughstock.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I want to get into craft liquor, but the costs are prohibitive when it comes to trial and error.

I'm absolutely in love with this stuff

...but I can get 3.5 liters of Crown Royal for the cost of a fifth of Roughstock.
The vibe I get from this liquor is, it should be renamed to "Swanson Select". Just looks like something he'd drink / have stashed in the desk under lock and key for those late nights at the district.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:36 PM
dogthateats

How does Eagle rare 10 year compare to Buffalo Trace?

Old
02-13-2013, 09:43 AM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
I think it's BS. I am part of their ambassador program (based on a tip from Dock here if I remember right) and I thought the email on Sunday was a spoof.

This decision comes to down to them making as much money as possible. Sell less until you can meet demand or raise the price. I am not THAT mad but I wasn't a big enough fanatic that I'm not going to go elsewhere from here out.
Yeah, that was me. Was my go to bourbon and will def try the cut down version to see if I can tell the difference. I know it's blasphemy to some, but I normally put a little ice in my bourbon anyway (actually have a sphere ice mold MM sent me as part of their ambassador program, the sphere shape mean the ice doesn't melt as fast).

Quote:
I've been migrating towards craft liquor anyways.....

On that note - Boyd and Blair vodka from Pittsburgh is absolutely top notch. A must buy.
My mom swears by that stuff, but it's a bit pricey isn't it? My wife and I normally stick with Tito's even though it's made in the cesspit that is Austin, TX (most my family went to OU, hence the hate...).

Old
02-13-2013, 10:23 AM
WVP

Usually see Boyd and Blair sold for 28-30 bucks. Kinda on point with the big name high end brands but of course I prefer to buy a Pittsburgh product. And honestly, it's awesome. A noticeable different taste than what you associate with vodka, in a good way.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:46 AM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Usually see Boyd and Blair sold for 28-30 bucks. Kinda on point with the big name high end brands but of course I prefer to buy a Pittsburgh product. And honestly, it's awesome. A noticeable different taste than what you associate with vodka, in a good way.
I'll have to give it a go, I've had it a couple times when I go to my parents house.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:05 PM
JimsDoors

I see Troegs raised the price of their NN. Bought a 6 last Friday for $12.99. Think I paid a dollar less last year (only had it 2x)

I wouldn't mind shelling out the cash for it if I was a moderate drinker, but.......that's not the case.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:40 PM
HuskerTornado
Monster Snow Goon

Strange situation with Makers Mark diluting their product. It's going to change the flavor when drinking it neat. I'm not a big bourbon drinker, but did enjoy some Makers every now and then.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:24 PM
WVP

But obviously at some point adding water will change the flavor. Seems like they added as much as they thought they could get away with.

The fact that it was done strictly as a cash grab is what bothers me. I read estimates that this could almost instantly add 13M to their bottom line. Have some integrity.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:30 AM
Mr. T

Aria gin is the bomb. Equally as good as Aviation. Very smooth, deceptively easy to drink gin. I had a bunch for free last week. It was so good I'm almost afraid to look up the price.

Closed Thread