HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What elbow pad does Kovalchuk use? (pic)

Old
02-12-2013, 09:14 AM
SergeiMakarovStyle

vCash: 500
What elbow pad does Kovalchuk use? (pic)

What elbow pad does Kovalchuk use?

http://2.cdn.nhle.com/nhl/images/upl...6068_slide.jpg

It must be reebok, but what kind?

Any of these?
http://www.icewarehouse.com/catpage.html?ccode=HSREPRBK

SergeiMakarovStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

They are pro stock Reebok elbow pads, formerly made by JOFA, they haven't been available for retail sale for five years. Specifically 7k Pros.

You can find them on eBay but they go for $100-125. I've found two pairs scrounging around Play It Again Sports for about $30 each, been using one pair for three years and the other pair I debated keeping for backups but made about $100 selling them on eBay. And yes, they are worth the money, best elbow pads by a mile.

FWIW, I think the Bauer Nexus elbow pads are probably the closest you will find at retail and seem like very good elbow pads. The retail Reebok elbow pads are not very good.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:43 AM
SergeiMakarovStyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
They are pro stock Reebok elbow pads, formerly made by JOFA, they haven't been available for retail sale for five years. Specifically 7k Pros.

You can find them on eBay but they go for $100-125. I've found two pairs scrounging around Play It Again Sports for about $30 each, been using one pair for three years and the other pair I debated keeping for backups but made about $100 selling them on eBay. And yes, they are worth the money, best elbow pads by a mile.

FWIW, I think the Bauer Nexus elbow pads are probably the closest you will find at retail and seem like very good elbow pads. The retail Reebok elbow pads are not very good.
Thanks for quick answer!
Why cant they sell to avarage joe people and only to pros?
Can you show me some of these on ebay? what name should i search for on ebay?
I pay $100-125$ if they are good.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:34 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeiMakarovStyle View Post
Thanks for quick answer!
Why cant they sell to avarage joe people and only to pros?
Can you show me some of these on ebay? what name should i search for on ebay?
I pay $100-125$ if they are good.
Search for terms like jofa, pro stock elbows, jofa elbows etc. will work. Sizing runs approximately as 4 = Sr S, 5 = SR M, 6 = SR L/XL etc.

The thing about prostock elbows (and shoulders) is that they have to meet NHL regulations, meaning that all 'contact points' on the elbow pad, such as the elbow cap (tip) and forearm have to have at least a 1/2" of foam overtop; no surface plastic. At the moment, you simply cannot find that in retail, although some elbow caps DO meet NHL regulations and are soft. They DID sell Jofa pads at retail in the mid 2000s, but they were never really popular.

I actually heartily disagree with Jarick on this one, the closest you can find are indeed the Reebok KFS 11K and KFS 9K pads (older 9Ks and 10Ks as well). The quality and workmanship is a step down from the older Swedish/NA-made Jofa/RBK pads, but not any worse than any other retail elbow pad out there. The design of the elbow pad has its roots in the various Jofa models (they had top end to bottom end too). To put into perspective, plenty of CHL players these days use 11K and 10K elbows (whether or not they have to be certified, I don't remember).

I've been hearing that the new Warrior Dynasty elbows will compare to the Jofa styles as well, so watch for that.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Search for "RBK JOFA elbow" or something like that.

The pads were originally made by JOFA, and they had two models. Their model numbers ended in either __44 or __77, like 9044 and 9077 or 9144 and 9177. When Reebok bought JOFA, they re-branded the pads as RBK 7k PRO for the __44 and RBK 8k PRO for the __77.

The 7k Pros are the ones you see above and the most common ones. The 8k Pros are similar but have another 1-2" of slash guard stitched to extend to the wrist. If you're really tall, you might like the 8k's. I have heard of folks buying them and then cutting off that extra bit just because it's hard to find the 7k's for cheap.

One other thing with the JOFA elbow pads, the forearm guard is large and extends further down the forearm, closer to the glove. Most retail pads have a gap. You can see, Kovy is tall but those elbow pads go all the way to his gloves, which have a shorter cuff. If you're short, you might have trouble with the gloves knocking into your elbow pads.

I didn't like the retail Reebok elbows because they are a smaller fit, lack the coverage of the pro elbows, and the design of the pad interferes with free range of motion. I can't straighten my arms comfortably in them.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:37 AM
AIREAYE

Yeah I'm not a fan of the high end Reebok elbows either. The forearm wrap isn't compatible with the shape of my arm and it's much too stiff.

Like you, I managed to find some Jofas at PIAS. 2 pairs of 7500s, one for me and one for my brother haha.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:40 PM
flyers10

Hard to try another kind after using them. Got some 7k Pros recently to replace a 14 year old pair. Now I can move the 8k pros I had waiting in storage.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:22 AM
r3cc0s

i have a set of 7k Pro's and 9050 JOFAs but never use em... ever

they are actually quite heavy and I find takes a while to break in and to get used to

I don't play contact, so there is basically no way that I will ever just fall directly on the cap of my elbow pads... so the level of double cap protection isn't beneficial

For me? softies or medium range elbow pads will do, especially for shinny where you are playing for much longer shifts than a full roster'd bench

I also find, playing shinny... you don't get nearly as agressive hacks above the hands, as when playing a high level midget/JR game...

again preference

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Before I had my JOFA's, I used Bauer One55 elbow pads. Not bad, just less coverage overall. And actually if you like longer cuffs or have shorter forearms, might be better.

Here's why I dislike retail Reebok elbows:

That little tab above the elbow cap at your triceps. That knocks into the elbow cap, preventing you from straightening your arm properly.

Here's the 7k Pros:

The bicep is stitched below the elbow cap, so it doesn't rub at all. Also, the soft cap on the elbow makes it bigger.

Bauer Nexus isn't far off:

Note it's stitched below the cap, not floating, so it doesn't interfere with the arm. Strapping system is similar. Difference is it's less coverage overall.

Here's my old One55's, again see they're pretty similar:

I just don't like elbow pads that have tons of hinges and segments and crazy crap. Just strap to the elbow/forearms, give me a bicep piece that's stitched under the cap, and enough coverage their isn't a big gap between the elbow pads and glove cuff.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:03 PM
SergeiMakarovStyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Before I had my JOFA's, I used Bauer One55 elbow pads. Not bad, just less coverage overall. And actually if you like longer cuffs or have shorter forearms, might be better.

Here's why I dislike retail Reebok elbows:

That little tab above the elbow cap at your triceps. That knocks into the elbow cap, preventing you from straightening your arm properly.

Here's the 7k Pros:

The bicep is stitched below the elbow cap, so it doesn't rub at all. Also, the soft cap on the elbow makes it bigger.

Bauer Nexus isn't far off:

Note it's stitched below the cap, not floating, so it doesn't interfere with the arm. Strapping system is similar. Difference is it's less coverage overall.

Here's my old One55's, again see they're pretty similar:

I just don't like elbow pads that have tons of hinges and segments and crazy crap. Just strap to the elbow/forearms, give me a bicep piece that's stitched under the cap, and enough coverage their isn't a big gap between the elbow pads and glove cuff.
What of these should I buy and where? I didnt find any on ebay.
Thanks for the knowledge.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:44 PM
AIREAYE

Try them on and see which on fits you better. It depends on the shape of your elbow, and forearm.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:50 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Keep in mind the sizes of the jofa/rbk models are different. Size 4 retail is smaller than a size 4 pro. Why that is? Don't know,but it's a fact.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:22 PM
AIREAYE

Oh I didn't know that, thanks for the tip!