HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXI: Daydream Belever

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 09:02 PM
mesamonster

vCash: 500
Normally, when breaking news occurs regarding a new owner stepping in with a new offer it is big news particularly to Shoaltsie at the G&M! But as of now, not one word, the world knows what a bunch of impostors these idiots are.

Buckle up, the show is about to begin, starring Tony the baloney man and all of his little preppy buddies who can`t seem to keep their college name out of their headlines. Most self respecting businessmen who graduated from Yale and were Skull and Bones or Scroll and Key keep it pretty quiet and let their deeds do the talking. These clowns seem pretty proud of themselves that they went to Yale and that is their claim to fame. If ya gotta talk about it, ya don`t have it, pretty simple!!!

Old
02-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Llama19

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
If I was naming the next thread, it would be "What a Fool Believes" because if we have gone into 69+ threads believing something is going to happen within the next thread, we've all been fools to believe something is going to happen within the next thread.

If the next thread title is, 'What a Fool Be-leaves," then I'm for it...

Old
02-11-2013, 10:15 PM
aqib

ok in honor of ICE Edge's return I request that the next thread title be: Phoenix LXXII: Look who's back. Back again. Shady's Back.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Dado

vCash:
"Cuz I'm Slim Shady, yes I'm the real Shady,
All you other Slim Shadys are just imitating..."

Old
02-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Jetsfan79

I apologise in advance if this question was already answered or no longer applicable: Does Glendale still owe the NHL 25 million at the end of the season? And if so, has the new city council indicated one way or another on whether they plan on paying the bill?

Old
02-11-2013, 11:06 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan79 View Post
I apologise in advance if this question was already answered or no longer applicable: Does Glendale still owe the NHL 25 million at the end of the season? And if so, has the new city council indicated one way or another on whether they plan on paying the bill?
No, this season is FREE to this point and it is not expected that the COG will be asked to pay the NHL anything.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:06 AM
XX
SOS

Quote:
Canadian marketing professional Anthony LeBlanc and Chicago financier Matthew Hulsizer, who previously came up short in efforts to buy the Coyotes, are “exploring options” about possible terms and conditions to acquire the team anew, LeBlanc told The Arizona Republic on Monday.

LeBlanc would serve as the front man for the investment group, which eventually could include five or six investors, he said.

Hulsizer confirmed his involvement in the venture but deferred further comment to LeBlanc.

Their intent would be to keep the team in Glendale, which would be a blow to possible suitors in Seattle, Quebec and elsewhere who hope to lure a National Hockey League team.

Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers said at least twice since Jan. 31 that he has been in frequent discussions with a couple of “very strong” investors, but he steadfastly has declined to identify them.

LeBlanc confirmed that his investment group is one of the potential buyers, but he stressed that his group’s efforts are still in the preliminary stages. He has been in regular contact with Weiers and NHL executives about the matter, he said.

“We continue to explore what the options are,” LeBlanc said.

“This time around, while I don’t actually know this will be the case, I think the league is going to take a much more involved role in discussions with the city. So I’m kind of seeing what the league’s coming to this time, before we really get ourselves too engaged.”
Please make these two clowns go away, and end this.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...interest.html?

Old
02-12-2013, 01:13 AM
Glacial

This is apparently the new Neverending Story. Instead of a movie, they decided to make it live performance art involving a hockey team, complete with the Coyotes as the flying dogs, only they can never fly anywhere, only in circles. Toss in some clowns, some lawyers & judges, a guild of sue-happy lawyers (or whatever the heck they are), a mysterious bland man, a council of fools, an incompetent old geezer or two, a little kid, a horde to the north clamoring for those dogs (and anyone I left off), and the story's complete.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:41 AM
awfulwaffle

Coyotes got 2 points tonight, and the Sharks didn't.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:31 AM
Whileee

Quote:
LeBlanc confirmed that his investment group is one of the potential buyers, but he stressed that his group’s efforts are still in the preliminary stages. He has been in regular contact with Weiers and NHL executives about the matter, he said.

“We continue to explore what the options are,” LeBlanc said.

“This time around, while I don’t actually know this will be the case, I think the league is going to take a much more involved role in discussions with the city. So I’m kind of seeing what the league’s coming to this time, before we really get ourselves too engaged.”
I think that what he means is that he wants the NHL to bring some muscle and see how much of a subsidy they can extract from the new mayor and council, with the threat of relocation hanging over their head. If they can get a sweetheart lease from the new mayor and council, why wouldn't an IEH/Hulsizer combo platter want to take a sniff? They might get to see another couple of NHL games for free, and even hang around the Coyotes at practice.

The reality is that there will only be a local sale if two things happen: 1) Glendale puts very large subsidies on the table along with free rent and all other Jobing.com revenues and; 2) the NHL cuts the selling price substantially. This team has been on the market for more than 3 years, and not one serious ownership candidate has been willing to take a bite, even with very large subsidies on the table from Glendale. It will take more than has been previously on offer (combining subsidies and sale price) to entice an owner. It is as simple as that.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:56 AM
GF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
The reality is that there will only be a local sale if two things happen: 1) Glendale puts very large subsidies on the table along with free rent and all other Jobing.com revenues and; 2) the NHL cuts the selling price substantially. This team has been on the market for more than 3 years, and not one serious ownership candidate has been willing to take a bite, even with very large subsidies on the table from Glendale. It will take more than has been previously on offer (combining subsidies and sale price) to entice an owner. It is as simple as that.
Perfectly right!

This is actually turning into the freak show most people here predicted. The NHL looks so bad in this whole story it hurts. I understand why the NHL doesn't end this now (they want to milk the Coyotes fans as much as they can), but it looks so low class, so bush league it's beyond ridiculous.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:02 AM
GuelphStormer

can anyone point to any sort of recent study that supports the contention that "glendale is better off with the coyotes than without them"? apart from the four year old hocking report, has anything ever been done on this?

Old
02-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Fidel Astro

At what point does this ongoing circus become more embarrassing to the NHL than just admitting Phoenix isn't a good hockey market and putting a team there was a mistake?

Old
02-12-2013, 09:29 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
can anyone point to any sort of recent study that supports the contention that "glendale is better off with the coyotes than without them"? apart from the four year old hocking report, has anything ever been done on this?
Such a report or information related to the efficacy of this franchise remaining does not exist! The reason being is that a back of the napkin analysis is all that is needed to see that this deal will not only never make a dime for potential investors, but with the team gone the city is far better off. If an investment group would like to take a run at this w/o COG subsidies, be my guest! The city has internal docs that lucidly show the cost to the city of extending the heavy subsidies vs. letting the team walk. The city is better off w/o the team and no subsidies!

Old
02-12-2013, 09:32 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan79 View Post
The City of Glendale made no $25 million pledge for the current season. For last season they put $20 million into an esrow account with the remaining $5 million to be put in 5 days after the Coyotes season.

I've seen no reports that the additional $5 million was ever deposited. And I've seen no reports that the $20 million has been withdrawn by the league. The council has no control over the $20 million in escrow and can be claimed by the NHL at any point (assuming they produce documentation outlying their actual cash losses for the season).

The last time I heard anything in regards to the $25 million from last season was an interview with the then recently defeated (but still active) Councilor Joyce Clarke in which she said the city was hopeful they could negotiate with teh NHL to work out a payment plan to cover the $25 million. The interview took place sometime in November or Decemeber I think. So that implies that at that point the money had yet to be touched by the NHL.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:34 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Coyotes got 2 points tonight, and the Sharks didn't.
Coyotes are a fun team to watch. How guys like Doan continue to play that well with all of this uncertainty going on around them amazes me sometimes.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:45 AM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidel Astro View Post
At what point does this ongoing circus become more embarrassing to the NHL than just admitting Phoenix isn't a good hockey market and putting a team there was a mistake?
I have it on impeachable authority that date is October 17, 2096, give or take... yep you guessed it...two weeks.

People just need to demonstrate a little more patience. There will be another team in Canada in time for the 2043-2044 season. Maybe two. Just think you could go buy a home right now with a 30 year loan and pay it off before that first season starts, and then you could put that $1,700 per month mortgage payment (less any taxes and insurance) into full season tickets!

Just imagine what that expansion/relocation fee will be 30 years from now with all that pent up demand... $2 billion per team maybe. And how old will Gary Bettman be in 30 years... maybe he'll announce the awarding of the two franchises and his retirement the same day!

Old
02-12-2013, 09:49 AM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
That is funnier...

Old
02-12-2013, 10:10 AM
cbcwpg

Anthony LeBlanc and Matthew Hulsizer

Coming out of the woodwork just to score some more free food and free stuff at a Coyotes game.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:18 AM
mesamonster

Still no acknowledgement from the media! They must suspect a rat as well!

Old
02-12-2013, 10:19 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
That is funnier...
Gotta go with it!:n od:

Old
02-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Kevyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidel Astro View Post
About three years ago.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Or maybe "What a Fool Belevers"...

Old
02-12-2013, 10:43 AM
goyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post

Anthony LeBlanc and Matthew Hulsizer

Coming out of the woodwork just to score some more free food and free stuff at a Coyotes game.
They are done like dinner and off to QC this summer. Just a ploy to keep up some interest in selling tickets until the end of the season. IEH + Hulsizer = no hope for Coyote fans.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:58 AM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyotes View Post
They are done like dinner and off to QC this summer. Just a ploy to keep up some interest in selling tickets until the end of the season. IEH + Hulsizer = no hope for Coyote fans.
Yep.

"Hey, there are multiple bidders interested in buying the team and keeping it in Glendale! Oh by the way, there are tickets still available for Saturday nights game, tell your friends!"

They aren't floating these stories for me. I have my tickets for all remaining home games.

But hey, if they say they can buy the team by the end of April, I say "the end of April is just around the corner... just a few weeks!"

I feel sorry for those who can't wait for the end of April... they just think they can't wait.

Closed Thread