HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLIX All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2013, 11:52 PM
  #26
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,132
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Halak was injured.
Hardly a valid excuse considering Elliott was arguably better than Halak last year. Not like they're dropping from a stud to a scrub here. It clearly runs deeper than who's standing in the net.

Everyone wondered if the Blues would show the same signs under Hitchcock that the Jackets eventually did (incredible defensive play that's unsustainable in the long-term), wonder if that's what's happening here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Backes absolutely ripped into the team after tonight's game:
Big fan of Backes, good for him.

But you might have a point about the players taking the system for granted and not doing the things that make it successful. Will be interesting to keep an eye on them this year.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 05:14 AM
  #27
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I won't lose any sleep over it. I just think the league should do things differently that's all.
I think it's fairly obvious the league is deliberately being soft as part of some marketing strategy.

It promotes rivalries and excitement from the fans.

If teams want policing, they'll have to hire their own police officers.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 06:28 AM
  #28
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,851
vCash: 500
Alexander Semin appreciation thread on the main boards:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1347899

He is being lauded for his excellent two-way hockey and his offensive production. Carolina fans are suspecting the criticism of his defensive ability was just the typical Canadian racism, which doesn't surprise me based on what I have seen of him.

He now has 10 points in 11 games, and is a +10. Carolina fans say he has been unlucky, and should actually have a lot more points. They want him extended.

If Marc Bergevin was both an effective GM and interested in making the playoffs this year (we don't know that both these things are true), he would have gone after Semin this summer, not Shane "has a lot of character" Doan.

BTW here is an analysis of Semin from the summer:
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...emin-arguments
It refuted the common misconception that Semin is some sort of Desharnais-type who is only good in the offensive zone.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 06:37 AM
  #29
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Backes absolutely ripped into the team after tonight's game:

Lou Korac ‏@lkorac10
David Backes: "We just don't have that desperation, that accountability, that responsibility to each other." #stlblues

Lou Korac ‏@lkorac10
Backes: "We've got too many guys out there looking at the stat sheet wondering how many goals & assists, cookies they've got rather (1/2)

Lou Korac ‏@lkorac10
Backes: (2/2) "... than taking a hit to make a play and getting run over so we can get a puck out so that your teammates can have a 3-on-2."

Lou Korac ‏@lkorac10
Backes: "It's time to put the boots on and go do it or else pack your bags and go home because it's slowly slipping." #stlblues

Seems like a team that was scoring a ton of goals early on and many on that team thought they were suddenly an offensive machine that could win purely with offence. Now they seem to have forgotten the structure and defensive fundamentals that were so brilliant for them last season.
So that's what a real captain sounds like. Huh.

When's the last C we've had to publically blast his team after a bad game? Carbo? Muller?

Yeah yeah Koivu is a living hero but he was the quiet type, and it seems that Gionta is the "invisible" type. And then when Gorges takes the brunt of the heat of the media people go out to say that he's a moron who repeats the same mantra after every loss.

I don't think Gorges is the ideal captain but dang-it he gives his all and he's effective in his position - can Gionta say that about his play or himself after the past two seasons?

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 06:40 AM
  #30
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Alexander Semin appreciation thread on the main boards:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1347899

He is being lauded for his excellent two-way hockey and his offensive production. Carolina fans are suspecting the criticism of his defensive ability was just the typical Canadian racism, which doesn't surprise me based on what I have seen of him.

He now has 10 points in 11 games, and is a +10. Carolina fans say he has been unlucky, and should actually have a lot more points. They want him extended.

If Marc Bergevin was both an effective GM and interested in making the playoffs this year (we don't know that both these things are true), he would have gone after Semin this summer, not Shane "has a lot of character" Doan.

BTW here is an analysis of Semin from the summer:
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...emin-arguments
It refuted the common misconception that Semin is some sort of Desharnais-type who is only good in the offensive zone.
Say what you want, Semin has his warts. He was bad in several playoffs for the Caps and no one knew if he'd perform outside of Washington's uber-alles-offense. Yes he's worth the risk in hindsight but he's also playing with two pretty damn good centres, he wouldn't have the same success here if he was next to a rookie, a midget who can't keep the puck or an overworked, exhausted Plekanec.

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 06:44 AM
  #31
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Say what you want, Semin has his warts. He was bad in several playoffs for the Caps and no one knew if he'd perform outside of Washington's uber-alles-offense. Yes he's worth the risk in hindsight but he's also playing with two pretty damn good centres, he wouldn't have the same success here if he was next to a rookie, a midget who can't keep the puck or an overworked, exhausted Plekanec.
Warts?

The second article I link to refutes most of the warts, such as Semin the bad playoff performer which you bring up.

He's a great player, solid defensive ability as well as one of the top-10 snipers in the game, he actually would have been ideal for the Plekanec line and that's where the non-tanker part of me wanted him penciled in the summer. He's got the three-zone skill to play on a shutdown line like Plekanec, and as one of the best shooters in the game he would mesh well with Plekanec's passing.

Maybe Therrien would have played him for 7 minutes a game on the 4th line with Eller and Armstrong and then he wouldn't be performing well, you make a valid point.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 06:56 AM
  #32
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Warts?

The second article I link to refutes most of the warts, such as Semin the bad playoff performer which you bring up.

He's a great player, solid defensive ability as well as one of the top-10 snipers in the game, he actually would have been ideal for the Plekanec line and that's where the non-tanker part of me wanted him penciled in the summer. He's got the three-zone skill to play on a shutdown line like Plekanec, and as one of the best shooters in the game he would mesh well with Plekanec's passing.

Maybe Therrien would have played him for 7 minutes a game on the 4th line with Eller and Armstrong and then he wouldn't be performing well, you make a valid point.
Listen man, I don't disagree with you but at the moment he was a risky signing. Any number of stats won't change the image that surrounded Semin at the time - he was bad against us in the playoffs that year, he was bad last playoffs too.

He would be a great addition to any team (especially Washington!) but he HAS HIS WARTS. His own teammate ripped him to the media, as much of a scrub Bradley might be, it's pretty bad.

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 07:26 AM
  #33
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
So that's what a real captain sounds like. Huh.

When's the last C we've had to publically blast his team after a bad game? Carbo? Muller?

Yeah yeah Koivu is a living hero but he was the quiet type, and it seems that Gionta is the "invisible" type. And then when Gorges takes the brunt of the heat of the media people go out to say that he's a moron who repeats the same mantra after every loss.

I don't think Gorges is the ideal captain but dang-it he gives his all and he's effective in his position - can Gionta say that about his play or himself after the past two seasons?
Why is Gorges captain material? Because he talks? Need more than that to be an effective captain.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 07:36 AM
  #34
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Why is Gorges captain material? Because he talks? Need more than that to be an effective captain.
I'm saying that Gorges, like Backes, faces the brunt of the media, takes the heat and plays every night at roughly the same level. Gionta does not.

We don't have the ideal captain, we don't have Sakic or Pronger or Lidstrom or Crosby. Players who even on a bad night play well and execute cleanly. Gionta can't even string two passes, can't hit, can't snipe the puck... He's average in a lot of ways, and it pisses me off that he's playing so poorly

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 07:47 AM
  #35
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
It's tough. I believe they have a staff watching every single game. So, they see these things and decided not to go with suspension.

I obviously understand what you're saying but unless you got a detailed fool proof plan, it's really harder than it looks.
I disagree that it's tough.
Attempted murders are punishable acts. Obviously we're not talking about a murder here, but I don't see why an attempt to injure should be ignored. Maybe punish less severely than an actual act resulting in an injury, but punish it nonetheless. If the point is to actually protect the players, then this is a no-brainer.
Waiting for an injury to occur before dishing out punishment will prevent nothing, that's what we've been doing since forever and nothing has ever changed.
So, not only is it inefficient, but it's also stupid.

What is so tough exactly? Guy clearly stuck his knee out. It was an unintentional in the heat of the moment reaction to Plek side skating him? Okay, so what? Players are told to control their sticks at all times, same should be said of their bodies.

Kriss E is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 07:50 AM
  #36
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 18,693
vCash: 500
Semin... would have helped us... not a lot of cap space was there to shoe-horn him in, mind you, but it could have been done. I don't think 10 games of shiny happy new home fan response is enough to wear away all the warts he accumulated over his career. The warts are real enough. But overstated. You can trade them off against the positives he brings, and still get a net benefit to the team.

Doan... would have helped us just as much. But then we were talking a long-term deal, and that would have carried soooo much risk down the road, could have been a disaster at some point.

Backes... chewing your team out on twitter seems kind of weak. Well, if that's the only place it happens. If it's just re-iterating what he already said to their faces, then no worries.

Gionta seems like a genuinely "nice guy" to me. Classy, reasonably intelligent, and respectful. Good enough traits for the captain.

Blind Gardien is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 08:10 AM
  #37
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Listen man, I don't disagree with you but at the moment he was a risky signing. Any number of stats won't change the image that surrounded Semin at the time - he was bad against us in the playoffs that year, he was bad last playoffs too.

He would be a great addition to any team (especially Washington!) but he HAS HIS WARTS. His own teammate ripped him to the media, as much of a scrub Bradley might be, it's pretty bad.
Everybody has warts. Plekanec said of himself that he played like a girl. Cole is looking like the old man people thought he'd look like 3years into his contract.
Markov is constantly criticized has a PO no show. Do I need to go over how selfish some think Subban is? Or the great reputation Price had at some point??
Ovechkin is getting a lot of bad press too, but if he was a free agent I would absolutely go after him. It would be retarded not too.
You can argue about Semin's flaws, i think they were grossly overstated, mainly because of one bitter ex teammate's saying that was reported a million times in the media and gave McGuire a boner, but that's fine if you want to believe them. However, I think we should have used that as an advantage.
We had a lack of winger depth, no sniper of his quality, and nobody with his stick handling skills. He was a perfect winger for Plek.
If he had gotten a 5-8year deal, I would have shared some worries, but on a one year deal? In a transitional year? Perfect fit.
What is troubling, to some degree, is that Bergevin expressed 0 interest. That was dumb.

Kriss E is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 08:17 AM
  #38
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Everybody has warts. Plekanec said of himself that he played like a girl. Cole is looking like the old man people thought he'd look like 3years into his contract.
Markov is constantly criticized has a PO no show. Do I need to go over how selfish some think Subban is? Or the great reputation Price had at some point??
Ovechkin is getting a lot of bad press too, but if he was a free agent I would absolutely go after him. It would be retarded not too.
You can argue about Semin's flaws, i think they were grossly overstated, mainly because of one bitter ex teammate's saying that was reported a million times in the media and gave McGuire a boner, but that's fine if you want to believe them. However, I think we should have used that as an advantage.
We had a lack of winger depth, no sniper of his quality, and nobody with his stick handling skills. He was a perfect winger for Plek.
If he had gotten a 5-8year deal, I would have shared some worries, but on a one year deal? In a transitional year? Perfect fit.
What is troubling, to some degree, is that Bergevin expressed 0 interest. That was dumb.
The part you are missing is Bergevin wanted to change the culture from the ****show we saw 2nd half of last year to a lot more accountability.

THAT is why he brought in guys like Prust Armstrong Bouillon. Those are guys he knows will go to battle every night. Bringing in a guy like Semin doesn't accomplish that, he's always been known to play when he feels like it. A guy like taht is fine if your team core is already built and your ship is already on the right course, then he is more likely to follow. But if you are trying to right a ship that was off course, he may not be the best option.

PLUS one thing people are not considering, with the new CBA eliminating the "burying" on contracts, the Gomez one would have made it hard to sign Semin for 7 mil for 1 year.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 08:46 AM
  #39
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,132
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Why is Gorges captain material? Because he talks? Need more than that to be an effective captain.
People think leadership equates to making noise. This is why, according to many of the experts here, Koivu/Gorges/Pleks/Markov/etc aren't good leaders.

Of course, Cammalleri did rip his teammates when he was here last year, and everyone vilified him for it, so I guess it's a no-win situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Backes... chewing your team out on twitter seems kind of weak. Well, if that's the only place it happens. If it's just re-iterating what he already said to their faces, then no worries.
He wasn't saying that on Twitter, that's a reporter's Twitter who was just recapping what Backes said (presumably to the media in the post-game scrum).

hototogisu is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:07 AM
  #40
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,641
vCash: 500
Palushaj played his first game with the Avs last night.

Andy is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:15 AM
  #41
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
People think leadership equates to making noise. This is why, according to many of the experts here, Koivu/Gorges/Pleks/Markov/etc aren't good leaders.

Of course, Cammalleri did rip his teammates when he was here last year, and everyone vilified him for it, so I guess it's a no-win situation.
I absolutely don't think that making noise equates to leadership. My argument is two-fold and I'd love for someone to refute it, or try to:

1) The ideal captain in a market such as ours deflects pressure from his team onto himself if the team is mired in a bad situation. We've seen it many times where after a tough loss Phaneuf, or Lidstrom or whoever-the-heck faces the media and says that they played bad, the execution was off.. whatever. Gionta nearly never does this. It doesn't mean much in terms of leadership but that's the initial "public image" aspect of captaincy that you can't deny exists.

2) This is leagues more important than 1. The ideal captain executes his own tasks consistently and to the maximum of his abilities the best he can and leads by example. You can't yell at a teammate for giving up on a play when you yourself have been missing passes, flubbing on shots and going offside all game. This implies talent and consistency but it also implies work ethic and general hockey sense. Gionta has work ethic but he lacks hockey sense, he lacks the talent and he sure as heck isn't consistent. I just don't see how he could yell at Cole or Bourque in the lockerroom when they, at least if they're not scoring, go to the net or CAN even go to the net. Gionta has avoided traffic and been squeezed out of the crease often in the past ~7 games, he's also killed momentum by missing empty nets (created by great plays by Pleks) and going offside twenty times a match. Gionta can't even hold his own physically, he needs White or Prust or someone to take a penalty everytime someone runs him.

He's detrimental to his line and the team at this point. He just seems to be built for Jacques Martin counter-attack hockey and not stretch-pass, beat the man and cycle hockey Therrien is preaching. (DD neither.)

He's playing poorly and he's avoiding the glare of the media - they go onto Cole, they go onto Pacioretty, they (hopefully will) go onto DD when Gionta's played worse than every single one of them. Those three losses were to divisional rivals in a shortened season - those are 6 pt games we're losing and Gionta's nowhere to be found on the ice (which we can see) or off the ice (we can't see the lockerroom but in terms of media heat).

Caveat: The team hasn't looked LAZY in a single one of those games, they're motivated and even last year they seemed motivated. It's the execution that's really poor on this team, it's the passing and cycling especially but also the defensive positioning in terms of Markov-Emelin and Gorges-Diaz that's poor. So Gio's not to blame for DD and Patches not executing but he is to blame for his own lack of execution.

As for Cammalleri, to me and my methodology, he falls under point 2. He was not executing well, he was not playing well and he was DETRIMENTAL to his line on both the PP and EV. For him to go out and say "WE are playing like we're afraid of losing." (he didn't say "we're losers", I won't misquote him just because I don't like him) is a crock of poop because HE was playing as bad as anyone. If Cammy was playing well but just not finishing, it'd be one thing, but he was floating and just in a Typhoid-like haze so it was unacceptable for him to go off on "we" when they had a new coach and were struggling so mightily.

On a third note: Gionta is the posterboy of Gainey's reckless UFA frenzy and Jacques Martin's trap, the most boring hockey I've witnessed in years, and I wish we never signed him. Gionta is a dump-and-change specialist, Gionta is THE midget on a team ridiculed for being riddled with smurfs, Gionta hasn't fit in the new change of atmosphere AT ALL so far and slowly people are coming around to see it.

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:16 AM
  #42
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The part you are missing is Bergevin wanted to change the culture from the ****show we saw 2nd half of last year to a lot more accountability.

THAT is why he brought in guys like Prust Armstrong Bouillon. Those are guys he knows will go to battle every night. Bringing in a guy like Semin doesn't accomplish that, he's always been known to play when he feels like it. A guy like taht is fine if your team core is already built and your ship is already on the right course, then he is more likely to follow. But if you are trying to right a ship that was off course, he may not be the best option.

PLUS one thing people are not considering, with the new CBA eliminating the "burying" on contracts, the Gomez one would have made it hard to sign Semin for 7 mil for 1 year.
The crap storm that happened last year was due to management and media, not the players.
Gauthier's antics created a media zoo, and then the coaching didn't help him at all. RC coached this team like one would for a peewee team. He seemed completely lost behind the bench. Absolutely clueless.
Not to mention, we had a bunch of injuries that didn't help our team.

Otherwise, it's the same players on our team.

Semin's reputation, as I said, is overblown. You should know this being a fan of the habs. We have endless examples of media exaggerating on players.

It doesn't matter if Bergevin wants a change in culture. That shouldn't mean no to Semin. We were lacking talent, we still are. At the time, only Eller could be argued capable of skating into the opposing zone deking opponents. Every other player needs to skate on the outside and hopefully beat opponents with speed.
Semin would have been a much needed breath of fresh air.

You don't build a team overnight. So whenever you have a chance to add a building block, you do it. Brick by brick, you'll build a strong team. If Semin doesn't work out, well, who cares, it's only a 1 year deal, in a transitional year. If we wouldn't have signed him because he asked for too much cash, then okay, I can understand that. If it's an attitude thing, then okay, talk to the player, if he looks to have his head screwed on properly, good, if not, then you move on.
The problem I have is that Bergevin wasn't interested at all. That's the main issue seeing how Semin would fill a void.

As for the culture change. Armstrong is useless, I'd have taken Darche over him.
Both him and Bouillon are likely gone by next year. I don't see what change they make. Prust is a good addition but overpaid.

Kriss E is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:17 AM
  #43
yianik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,372
vCash: 500
I think adding some toughness was something MB was able to identify and because the risks were low in terms of money, he signed Prust and Armstrong and Cubes. I think he wants to take a reasonable amount of time in gettinrg to know the team and add the needed pieces, as part of a general plan, not on an ad hoc basis. So Im not surprised he didnt make any big signing of a UFA.

yianik is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:27 AM
  #44
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The crap storm that happened last year was due to management and media, not the players.
Gauthier's antics created a media zoo, and then the coaching didn't help him at all. RC coached this team like one would for a peewee team. He seemed completely lost behind the bench. Absolutely clueless.
Not to mention, we had a bunch of injuries that didn't help our team.
Gauthier's antics? Praytell, what clowning did he do in front of the camera? Gauthier avoided the media and they pulled crap out of the air -you know this and I know this - and it's ingenious that you'd spread a non-truth off as fact. Gauthier HAD no antics and that's why the media turned on him. We'll see if they give Bergevin the velvet treatment of Gainey or what soon enough. I'm not saying he wasn't without fault but the only antics pulled after the "darkest day" fiasco was on behalf of the media, the Habs were strictly professional from there on out. Not a peep from the organization and I, hating the media, loved it. (Maybe that's why I defend Gauthier so much - we get each other.)

The coaching was wrong from day 1 and no one knows why. Martin shouldn't have been there and the team was mired in inconsistency and poor execution - just demoralized. Maybe it was Muller not being there, maybe it was the crazy slew of injuries, maybe it was just the snowball effect of losing... the PP was wrong from day 1 and that was our bread-and-butter. RC had his chance but he was too scared to change the system (or couldn't?) and we kept losing.

My point is, don't revise history. Gauthier didn't go out and say that Cammy can't have his game jersey, Cammy didn't either.

The media leaked it out and spun it a thousand times and then Stubbs went for a nice meal at Molivos on Guy with Spacek and they shared a bottled of Italian Sangiovese over some lamb chops and fried calamari and Spacek talked about his life in the old country under the threat of the Iron Curtain, his views on Thatcherism, and what it meant to him to be drafted and to play in the NHL and how much his little daughters mean to him (Stubbs replied in kind that he has kids and loves his kids too) and then off the record Spacek talked of the unspeakable evils GAuthier pulled but Stubbs unforgettably can't publish because he's a professional and owes it to the 23 players on staff to be their personal biographer.

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:32 AM
  #45
Madevilz
Registered User
 
Madevilz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 3,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
So that's what a real captain sounds like. Huh.

When's the last C we've had to publically blast his team after a bad game? Carbo? Muller?

Yeah yeah Koivu is a living hero but he was the quiet type, and it seems that Gionta is the "invisible" type. And then when Gorges takes the brunt of the heat of the media people go out to say that he's a moron who repeats the same mantra after every loss.

I don't think Gorges is the ideal captain but dang-it he gives his all and he's effective in his position - can Gionta say that about his play or himself after the past two seasons?
Should have given Cammalleri the C instead of trading him then

Madevilz is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:33 AM
  #46
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I absolutely don't think that making noise equates to leadership. My argument is two-fold and I'd love for someone to refute it, or try to:

1) The ideal captain in a market such as ours deflects pressure from his team onto himself if the team is mired in a bad situation. We've seen it many times where after a tough loss Phaneuf, or Lidstrom or whoever-the-heck faces the media and says that they played bad, the execution was off.. whatever. Gionta nearly never does this. It doesn't mean much in terms of leadership but that's the initial "public image" aspect of captaincy that you can't deny exists.

2) This is leagues more important than 1. The ideal captain executes his own tasks consistently and to the maximum of his abilities the best he can and leads by example. You can't yell at a teammate for giving up on a play when you yourself have been missing passes, flubbing on shots and going offside all game. This implies talent and consistency but it also implies work ethic and general hockey sense. Gionta has work ethic but he lacks hockey sense, he lacks the talent and he sure as heck isn't consistent. I just don't see how he could yell at Cole or Bourque in the lockerroom when they, at least if they're not scoring, go to the net or CAN even go to the net. Gionta has avoided traffic and been squeezed out of the crease often in the past ~7 games, he's also killed momentum by missing empty nets (created by great plays by Pleks) and going offside twenty times a match. Gionta can't even hold his own physically, he needs White or Prust or someone to take a penalty everytime someone runs him.

He's detrimental to his line and the team at this point. He just seems to be built for Jacques Martin counter-attack hockey and not stretch-pass, beat the man and cycle hockey Therrien is preaching. (DD neither.)

He's playing poorly and he's avoiding the glare of the media - they go onto Cole, they go onto Pacioretty, they (hopefully will) go onto DD when Gionta's played worse than every single one of them. Those three losses were to divisional rivals in a shortened season - those are 6 pt games we're losing and Gionta's nowhere to be found on the ice (which we can see) or off the ice (we can't see the lockerroom but in terms of media heat).

Caveat: The team hasn't looked LAZY in a single one of those games, they're motivated and even last year they seemed motivated. It's the execution that's really poor on this team, it's the passing and cycling especially but also the defensive positioning in terms of Markov-Emelin and Gorges-Diaz that's poor. So Gio's not to blame for DD and Patches not executing but he is to blame for his own lack of execution.

As for Cammalleri, to me and my methodology, he falls under point 2. He was not executing well, he was not playing well and he was DETRIMENTAL to his line on both the PP and EV. For him to go out and say "WE are playing like we're afraid of losing." (he didn't say "we're losers", I won't misquote him just because I don't like him) is a crock of poop because HE was playing as bad as anyone. If Cammy was playing well but just not finishing, it'd be one thing, but he was floating and just in a Typhoid-like haze so it was unacceptable for him to go off on "we" when they had a new coach and were struggling so mightily.

On a third note: Gionta is the posterboy of Gainey's reckless UFA frenzy and Jacques Martin's trap, the most boring hockey I've witnessed in years, and I wish we never signed him. Gionta is a dump-and-change specialist, Gionta is THE midget on a team ridiculed for being riddled with smurfs, Gionta hasn't fit in the new change of atmosphere AT ALL so far and slowly people are coming around to see it.
I think your opinion of Gionta is skewed by the fact that, to you, he represents an era you didn't like.
You're blaming him for some ridiculous stuff...
I mean, I'm not a fan of Gionta. I don't want him re-signed unless he accepts a significant salary reduction and is limited to a 3rd line role, but even then, I'd prefer bigger guys on the bottom lines.
That being said, criticizing him because he isn't in front of the camera more is crazy. Really, who freaking cares. Not to mention, the guy has been injured for like half the games since signing here.
You also criticize him for not being able to defend himself and needing Prust or White to step in. Come on man, he's the captain and he's 4'3..It's absolutely normal for teammates to defend their captain. It's always been like that. But I can't blame Gionta for being small, what do you want him to do fight? Fight Orr???

Gionta might not be the best captain, but you don't need to blame him for ridiculous things.

Also, I don't think Fans should really discuss who would make a good captain. On ice play is only part of it. Off ice training, work ethic (game+practice), commitments, maturity, locker room, on the bench, leadership, that ''it'' factor when your team needs to wake up, etc...We don't know any of this.

So, really, we don't know much. But if the coach or players elect someone ''captain'', it's not for nothing. So, if Gorges becomes our next one, it's for a reason.

Kriss E is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:36 AM
  #47
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The crap storm that happened last year was due to management and media, not the players.
Gauthier's antics created a media zoo, and then the coaching didn't help him at all. RC coached this team like one would for a peewee team. He seemed completely lost behind the bench. Absolutely clueless.
Not to mention, we had a bunch of injuries that didn't help our team.

Otherwise, it's the same players on our team.

Semin's reputation, as I said, is overblown. You should know this being a fan of the habs. We have endless examples of media exaggerating on players.

It doesn't matter if Bergevin wants a change in culture. That shouldn't mean no to Semin. We were lacking talent, we still are. At the time, only Eller could be argued capable of skating into the opposing zone deking opponents. Every other player needs to skate on the outside and hopefully beat opponents with speed.
Semin would have been a much needed breath of fresh air.

You don't build a team overnight. So whenever you have a chance to add a building block, you do it. Brick by brick, you'll build a strong team. If Semin doesn't work out, well, who cares, it's only a 1 year deal, in a transitional year. If we wouldn't have signed him because he asked for too much cash, then okay, I can understand that. If it's an attitude thing, then okay, talk to the player, if he looks to have his head screwed on properly, good, if not, then you move on.
The problem I have is that Bergevin wasn't interested at all. That's the main issue seeing how Semin would fill a void.

As for the culture change. Armstrong is useless, I'd have taken Darche over him.
Both him and Bouillon are likely gone by next year. I don't see what change they make. Prust is a good addition but overpaid.
I don't think the Semin rep is that overblown. At least not to the extent of the Subban thing, mostlt because he plays in a non traditionnal/Canadian market.

Semin has been called out my more than one teammate or ex teammate as well as numerous "insiders" who have the beat of the NHL.

I'm not saying he is a "cancer" in NHL terms but definitely not the right element for the Habs until the "ship is righted".

You are underrating Armstrong, he's been solid so far, has been snakebitten offensively but has been strong defensively and on PK.

Bouillon brings a grit and toughness to the blueline and has even contributed on the PP. He's been better than anticipated. He may be gone after this year, if he is it will be for a spot for Tinordi.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:38 AM
  #48
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Gauthier's antics? Praytell, what clowning did he do in front of the camera? Gauthier avoided the media and they pulled crap out of the air -you know this and I know this - and it's ingenious that you'd spread a non-truth off as fact. Gauthier HAD no antics and that's why the media turned on him.
Gauthier pulled Cammalleri midway through a game. Not that I care, but that isn't a common method.
The firing of Pearn was fishy.
The fact the players were told that they had been traded but couldn't be told where because trades weren't approved yet, is pretty dumb too.
You can say media blew it all out of proportion, like they always do, but still, all weird moves.

I couldn't care less about Gauthier being secret. I actually thought he was doing a decent job until last year. Not sure what happened, maybe he got pressure from upstairs and lost it, but he didn't finish on a good note.

Kriss E is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:57 AM
  #49
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think the Semin rep is that overblown. At least not to the extent of the Subban thing, mostlt because he plays in a non traditionnal/Canadian market.

Semin has been called out my more than one teammate or ex teammate as well as numerous "insiders" who have the beat of the NHL.

I'm not saying he is a "cancer" in NHL terms but definitely not the right element for the Habs until the "ship is righted".

You are underrating Armstrong, he's been solid so far, has been snakebitten offensively but has been strong defensively and on PK.

Bouillon brings a grit and toughness to the blueline and has even contributed on the PP. He's been better than anticipated. He may be gone after this year, if he is it will be for a spot for Tinordi.
Semin gets the classic russian attitude rep. Yet you're still talking about a guy that can get 1pt/gp, possibly hit 40G. Those insiders get their info from the same guys that whined to the media, it's not like it's the opinion of 40 different people, it's all based off from the same guy, Matt Bradley, that sounded more bitter than anything else. He also criticized Boudreau by saying he was giving the star players too much ice time, to which Boudreau replied ''Oh yeah?..well that's his opinion''.
In a nutshell, Bradley says that he's disappointed by Semin because he feel he has the talent to be the best player in the league but apparently doesn't care to become one. And again, this is just an opinion. So he's just pissed off because he feels Semin could have given more during a PO run. Boo hoo. The media ran on this.
Oh yea, they also made a huge thing out of Ovi and Semin talking to Kovalchuk (their friend) after a loss. Ya, because God forbid those young guys share a laugh with a friend after a loss..I mean, they should be in the room crying!

Please man, ridiculous.

And why is he not the right piece until the ''ship is righted''?? With all the leaders we have in our room, why wouldn't he be a good piece?? Why would he be a right piece for Carolina but not us??? I don't get it. Makes no sense at all.

As for Armstrong, no I'm not underrating him. He doesn't bring anything any other bottom liner couldn't bring. Darche brought more than him. Armstrong hasn't hurt our team, but he hasn't helped it either. He's useless.

Kriss E is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 11:39 AM
  #50
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Snippin' Yank
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,218
vCash: 597
Flames just announced Kipper is out for 2 more weeks.

They play 8 games in the next 14 days. Hopefully this puts them well behind the pack.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.