HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phoenix Coyotes Lounge IV

View Poll Results: Should I try to get into show business?
Yes but have a day job or back up in the meantime 5 55.56%
Yes, go all in 1 11.11%
No 3 33.33%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2013, 03:52 PM
  #276
Rutkowski
Registered User
 
Rutkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
Maybe where you live it is that bad, but here in the USA, it is not like that at all buddy. How sad to have a perspective like that. So I assume it would be safe to say only 5% of people in this world are good as well, using your logic of course.
HAHAHA the US police force is known to be one of, if not the, most corrupted police forces of western civilization. The entire concept of the Blue Curtain is named after the US police racketeering.

And Doaner, how often do you hear of cops reporting on other cops and something actually happening? In such a large country as the US it should be almost daily. However, it doesn't happen and every single cop who sees another cop do a crime/break the rules but don't report on is an accomplice to that crime. And I'd say 5%, at most, are those that report on those crimes/breaking of rules they see or just doesn't see any.

And AP; just because others do it doesn't make it right. In fact, cops doing it is even worse than industrial workers, office workers or pretty much everyone that isn't military or judicial personell because cops are supposed to uphold the law, not break it. By breaking it they're being criminals and cops being criminals is pretty ****ing disgusting.

Rutkowski is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 06:39 PM
  #277
doaner
Registered User
 
doaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Flag
Country: United States
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutkowski View Post
HAHAHA the US police force is known to be one of, if not the, most corrupted police forces of western civilization. The entire concept of the Blue Curtain is named after the US police racketeering.

And Doaner, how often do you hear of cops reporting on other cops and something actually happening? In such a large country as the US it should be almost daily. However, it doesn't happen and every single cop who sees another cop do a crime/break the rules but don't report on is an accomplice to that crime. And I'd say 5%, at most, are those that report on those crimes/breaking of rules they see or just doesn't see any.

And AP; just because others do it doesn't make it right. In fact, cops doing it is even worse than industrial workers, office workers or pretty much everyone that isn't military or judicial personell because cops are supposed to uphold the law, not break it. By breaking it they're being criminals and cops being criminals is pretty ****ing disgusting.
Whatever bud! Don't ever live here then. You have a very cinical perspective. Best of luck to ya!

doaner is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 08:03 PM
  #278
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutkowski View Post
HAHAHA the US police force is known to be one of, if not the, most corrupted police forces of western civilization. The entire concept of the Blue Curtain is named after the US police racketeering.

And Doaner, how often do you hear of cops reporting on other cops and something actually happening? In such a large country as the US it should be almost daily. However, it doesn't happen and every single cop who sees another cop do a crime/break the rules but don't report on is an accomplice to that crime. And I'd say 5%, at most, are those that report on those crimes/breaking of rules they see or just doesn't see any.

And AP; just because others do it doesn't make it right. In fact, cops doing it is even worse than industrial workers, office workers or pretty much everyone that isn't military or judicial personell because cops are supposed to uphold the law, not break it. By breaking it they're being criminals and cops being criminals is pretty ****ing disgusting.
Not sure if you know, but Doaner himself is a cop. In my experience with police, most of them were really nice. It's a shame to see these freak things happen, but you know why we see them? It's because the media only glorifies the bad things that happen. They barely make a peep about the positive things that are done. I put this on the media.

awfulwaffle is online now  
Old
02-09-2013, 08:03 PM
  #279
Rutkowski
Registered User
 
Rutkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
So you're okay with cops being criminals and other cops helping them cover up their criminal activities?

Not being okay with it isn't cynicism, it's sanity.

EDIT: HAHAHA he is a cop? Okay yeah that explains it.

EDIT2: Nope I'm not going to live in the US. Planning on visiting it a couple of times, got some buddies there to meet up with and hope to catch some hockey, but I'd rather live in a country that isn't on par with developing countries when it comes to governance.

Rutkowski is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 08:40 PM
  #280
zz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,669
vCash: 500
Well, it's easy for someone sitting 8,000 miles away to mouth off about this stuff, but I can tell you, coming from Europe and living here 15 years, seeing how many cops get shot here in the Phoenix metro week after week, I have to hand it to those guys.

It's a rough, dangerous job.

And overall, my experience with cops here has always been 10x better than dealing with French ones. They're usually a very polite, helpful bunch.

zz is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 08:44 PM
  #281
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
Well, it's easy for someone sitting 8,000 miles away to mouth off about this stuff, but I can tell you, coming from Europe and living here 15 years, seeing how many cops get shot here in the Phoenix metro week after week, I have to hand it to those guys.

It's a rough, dangerous job.

And overall, my experience with cops here has always been 10x better than dealing with French ones. They're usually a very polite, helpful bunch.
Never lived overseas, but the interactions I have had with cops, even with me having a few things on my record I'm not proud of, cops are still helpful, supportive, and there for the general public.

I see atleast 1 each day I work, and they are good people. I mean, I'd prefer them over the random kid in high school that thinks he's too good to say hi to you after you say hi to them.

awfulwaffle is online now  
Old
02-09-2013, 08:51 PM
  #282
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutkowski View Post
So you're okay with cops being criminals and other cops helping them cover up their criminal activities?

Not being okay with it isn't cynicism, it's sanity.

EDIT: HAHAHA he is a cop? Okay yeah that explains it.

EDIT2: Nope I'm not going to live in the US. Planning on visiting it a couple of times, got some buddies there to meet up with and hope to catch some hockey, but I'd rather live in a country that isn't on par with developing countries when it comes to governance.
I agree with part 2. I really am not a fan of the tax dollars spent on building up other countries, and pushing them towards a particular type of government. As a recent college grad that doesn't have the job I desire, I would prefer the government worried more about those of us that live here, and hope to get America back to work. Our real unemployment rate is a joke, and it has been going on for way too long.

awfulwaffle is online now  
Old
02-11-2013, 11:47 AM
  #283
XX
SOS
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,638
vCash: 500

XX is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 05:50 PM
  #284
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion
 
Sinurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 7,469
vCash: 500
It's not anywhere near %95 percent, that's just retarded but it's far from just a few bad apples as well.

As for some people looking favorably on Dorner, the LAPD certainly are doing a good job of looking like the out of control meatheads he labels them in his manifesto. I mean seriously, who the **** just opens up fire on a blue Tacoma when you're looking for a gray Frontier?!

I firmly believe cops should be held to a higher standard than the average citizen because of the power the wield. If the average citizen did something like that it'd be life in prison!


Last edited by Naurutger: 02-11-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Sinurgy is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 05:55 PM
  #285
Rutkowski
Registered User
 
Rutkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
I mean, if I were one of those guy I'd say that the LAPD will bring out the UAV drones any day now oh wait they already did oops my bad.

No but seriously, can you actually provide something to support those claims?

EDIT: The US government is dysfunctional at best. You have an extremely corrupt federal government, most states are so dysfunctional it isn't funny and city councils? Just look at Glendale to see how bad things really are.

I mean sure, they ain't perfect over here, far from it, but the **** I hear almost daily from US friends is kind of terrifying. I mean, for example, the NFL told Tennessee to exclude their players from the athlete tax and Tenn. obliged.


Last edited by Naurutger: 02-11-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Rutkowski is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 05:56 PM
  #286
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,572
vCash: 500
Just went to Vee Quiva, I'm bummed because I can only use one of my $10 free play per visit. Oh well, made $10 from $20 worth of free play.

awfulwaffle is online now  
Old
02-11-2013, 06:22 PM
  #287
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 25,736
vCash: 500
My thoughts with regards to the talk about the police.

1. For all the talk I hear about the LAPD being bad for what I had read up upon in the past is that it is the New Orleans Police Department that is the most corrupt in the USA. Of couse the LAPD is bad enough to were an old buddy of mine who graduated from the NYPD Police Academy turned down a job offer from the LAPD of matching his salary plus 30%.

2. I know there are more good police officers than bad ones and those who do what they are supposed to do will always have my support no matter the profession. If things get hairy it is best to error on the side of caution and not take the law into my own hands. I'll call the police when needed and defend myself to the fullest in case my life is in danger.

3. For all of the stuff we see in the media about the bad stuff the police have done what we don't see on the news is all the good stuff they do which is still greater than the bad. It's a shame that the only time it seems a police officer gets any good press is when he/she is killed on the line of duty and the criminal always get the most attention and in some cases the criminal is painted as the victim by the media.

I'll add more on this later.

Colt45Blast is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 06:26 PM
  #288
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion
 
Sinurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 7,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutkowski View Post
I mean, if I were one of those guy I'd say that the LAPD will bring out the UAV drones any day now oh wait they already did oops my bad.

No but seriously, can you actually provide something to support those claims?

EDIT: The US government is dysfunctional at best. You have an extremely corrupt federal government, most states are so dysfunctional it isn't funny and city councils? Just look at Glendale to see how bad things really are.

I mean sure, they ain't perfect over here, far from it, but the **** I hear almost daily from US friends is kind of terrifying. I mean, for example, the NFL told Tennessee to exclude their players from the athlete tax and Tenn. obliged.
I have a feeling you spend your time in an echo chamber so of course your US friends are feeding you like a baby bird. Furthermore, you've done this 3x times now, you make wild assertions and then refuse to back them up. When you say something as silly as %95 of LAPD is corrupt, you need to back it up, not everyone else!

Sinurgy is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 06:35 PM
  #289
Rutkowski
Registered User
 
Rutkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I have a feeling you spend your time in an echo chamber so of course your US friends are feeding you like a baby bird. Furthermore, you've done this 3x times now, you make wild assertions and then refuse to back them up. When you say something as silly as %95 of LAPD is corrupt, you need to back it up, not everyone else!
Do you seriously believe that a majority, if not a huge majority, of all cops do not keep silent about rules being broken or laws ignored by their peers in the force?

Rutkowski is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 06:36 PM
  #290
Vip
Dubnyk Support Team
 
Vip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Mexico
Posts: 13,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Hahahaha

I feel bad for the condor guy. He totally ate **** haha.

Vip is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 06:48 PM
  #291
XX
SOS
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I have a feeling you spend your time in an echo chamber
This is definitely not directed at you, but many from Arizona are guilty of the same thing. We don't exactly live in a progressive state. Anything and everything bad about the south can just as easily be applied to AZ. I don't really have a problem with sensationalist statements like "95% of police are corrupt." That can be refuted pretty easily with numbers. What's more troubling and deep-seated is the notion of "don't like it? don't live here." It is the ultimate form of ignorance. It's that sort of attitude that prevents us from every really having serious, meaningful dialogue in this country.

As for the police, there are more corrupt than we will admit. They are more militant in nature than necessary, which is problematic when they exist behind an entirely different set of standards than does the average citizen. I've had great interactions with the local PD, but I've never been in a situation where my rights could be violated. It's hard to sympathize when you see countless reports of police killing dogs for no reason or beating suspects to death. And by and large, it doesn't help that the police force is (generally) not comprised of America's best and brightest. An officer has to seriously mess up in order to be actually 'fired' due to unions and the aforementioned differing standards. "Shoot first, ask later" is an accurate reflection of the culture, given how they shot up 2 older ladies delivering papers. They are absolutely not heroes, having a profession that is less dangerous, on average, than being a taxi driver.

If we stopped lionizing them and actually held them accountable for their actions, we'd have the best police in the world. But we don't. Instead, we think that giving them drones and no knock warrants is a good idea. You reap what you sow.

XX is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 06:52 PM
  #292
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion
 
Sinurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 7,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutkowski View Post
Do you seriously believe that a majority, if not a huge majority, of all cops do not keep silent about rules being broken or laws ignored by their peers in the force?
Of course I do, particularly in metropolitan areas but saying %95 are corrupt is hyperbole if I've ever heard it.

Sinurgy is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 07:27 PM
  #293
Rutkowski
Registered User
 
Rutkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Not all are them are actively corrupt, obviously. However, almost all of them know of the **** their peers do and by not reporting on it they indirectly become part of the problem and become part of the corruption even if they do not gain anything from it by themselves.

Rutkowski is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 07:56 PM
  #294
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!
 
GiveAFlyingPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gila River Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 1,765
vCash: 300
How about the AZ version of winter storm Nemo we got today? Had an accumulation of white precipitation around the house when I got home from work. Brrrrrr.

GiveAFlyingPuck is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 08:34 PM
  #295
pacerhimself
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
I'm not going to complain about the cold because I'm from Winnipeg, but it was weird seeing the temperature as 48 at about 5 pm.

pacerhimself is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 08:41 PM
  #296
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion
 
Sinurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 7,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
This is definitely not directed at you, but many from Arizona are guilty of the same thing. We don't exactly live in a progressive state. Anything and everything bad about the south can just as easily be applied to AZ. I don't really have a problem with sensationalist statements like "95% of police are corrupt." That can be refuted pretty easily with numbers. What's more troubling and deep-seated is the notion of "don't like it? don't live here." It is the ultimate form of ignorance. It's that sort of attitude that prevents us from every really having serious, meaningful dialogue in this country.

As for the police, there are more corrupt than we will admit. They are more militant in nature than necessary, which is problematic when they exist behind an entirely different set of standards than does the average citizen. I've had great interactions with the local PD, but I've never been in a situation where my rights could be violated. It's hard to sympathize when you see countless reports of police killing dogs for no reason or beating suspects to death. And by and large, it doesn't help that the police force is (generally) not comprised of America's best and brightest. An officer has to seriously mess up in order to be actually 'fired' due to unions and the aforementioned differing standards. "Shoot first, ask later" is an accurate reflection of the culture, given how they shot up 2 older ladies delivering papers. They are absolutely not heroes, having a profession that is less dangerous, on average, than being a taxi driver.

If we stopped lionizing them and actually held them accountable for their actions, we'd have the best police in the world. But we don't. Instead, we think that giving them drones and no knock warrants is a good idea. You reap what you sow.
Actually I happen to agree with pretty much everything you just stated. What sucks though is a lot of us are going to reap what the ignorant of our society has sewn. I guess one could argue it's societies fault for collectively allowing ignorance to somehow be considered a virtue but man I really wish a lot of people could pull their heads out of the sand and start applying some critical thinking to their closely held beliefs and world views. If that happened we'd all be better off!

Sinurgy is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 11:48 PM
  #297
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?
 
DirtyOldMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ...yup, still in AZ.
Posts: 811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
I feel bad for the condor guy. He totally ate **** haha.
Yeah, that was great stuff. Bird knew which bench was his, and seemed to be saying 'screw it, gametime decision, healthy scratch, I'm outta here'.

DirtyOldMan is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:10 AM
  #298
MP
Registered User
 
MP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,973
vCash: 500
So I was browsing the internet and installing a game (RIFT--yeah, all caps, must be some rift) last night when my computer seemed to power down, then back on, really quickly. My monitor went dark and stayed that way. Nothing short of a hard reboot fixed the problem. I opened the box and cleaned out a bunch of dust, hoping that would fix it, but no such luck; happened again as soon as I tried to do anything resource-intensive. I did notice that, when the problem occurs, the fans continue working, and the components seem to continue like nothing happened. I'm not losing power, just crashing out.

I've had several recurrences in the course of troubleshooting, which is all the more difficult since I have only a vague idea of what I'm doing. Again, it only seems to happen when the system has a lot to do, like when I load a game.

Based on what I've read on tech support forums and Windows Help, I've narrowed it down to either an overheating problem or a RAM problem. My thought is that the RAM is more likely the issue, since A) my RAM is several (3+) years old and B) my rig isn't particularly flashy: 2.2 gig quad core, 4 gigs RAM, Radeon 6870. I haven't messed with anything since I installed the video card, and that was months ago. It was running great before last night, and I don't see how it would suddenly start overheating.

So do I replace the RAM? Am I barking up the wrong tree in thinking that's the problem? Should I just get a new machine, seeing as everything but the video card is at least 3 years old?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply--but I should tell you that it may be necessary to explain things to me with pictures. (It was my misfortune to major in the humanities.)

MP is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:22 AM
  #299
pacerhimself
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Are you able to burn a CD and boot to that CD? Try this download:

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

It'll give you a solid hint whether or not it's your memory or something else. Often times it helps to have a 'test rig' that you know is 100% to compare results from, but if that's not available, you might need to find a local diagnostic company to run the tests for you.

pacerhimself is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:27 AM
  #300
zz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
So I was browsing the internet and installing a game (RIFT--yeah, all caps, must be some rift) last night when my computer seemed to power down, then back on, really quickly. My monitor went dark and stayed that way. Nothing short of a hard reboot fixed the problem. I opened the box and cleaned out a bunch of dust, hoping that would fix it, but no such luck; happened again as soon as I tried to do anything resource-intensive. I did notice that, when the problem occurs, the fans continue working, and the components seem to continue like nothing happened. I'm not losing power, just crashing out.

I've had several recurrences in the course of troubleshooting, which is all the more difficult since I have only a vague idea of what I'm doing. Again, it only seems to happen when the system has a lot to do, like when I load a game.

Based on what I've read on tech support forums and Windows Help, I've narrowed it down to either an overheating problem or a RAM problem. My thought is that the RAM is more likely the issue, since A) my RAM is several (3+) years old and B) my rig isn't particularly flashy: 2.2 gig quad core, 4 gigs RAM, Radeon 6870. I haven't messed with anything since I installed the video card, and that was months ago. It was running great before last night, and I don't see how it would suddenly start overheating.

So do I replace the RAM? Am I barking up the wrong tree in thinking that's the problem? Should I just get a new machine, seeing as everything but the video card is at least 3 years old?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply--but I should tell you that it may be necessary to explain things to me with pictures. (It was my misfortune to major in the humanities.)
Do you get a BSOD? It looks like this:



If not, sounds like a power supply problem. That's easy to replace.

If you do, it's usually one of these problems:

- CPU overheating (are you overclocking by any chance?). That's easy to diagnose with something like CoreTemp, which monitors CPU temperatures:

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

- Defective RAM. Run a first test with memtest. If nothing's failing, run a second test using Windows Memory Diagnostics tool.

Here's an article showing you how to set up memtest
http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...am-in-windows/

Windows Memory Diag Tool:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-your-computer

- Defective video card. This wouldn't surprise me one bit. I'm not a gamer and still, I've killed my share. Those tend to be very fragile. Get a cheap one from BestBuy, replace it, play for a while and see if everything works. If it does, return it and get a fancy one.

- Dead motherboard: that'd be my assumption if everything else looks good.

I don't think it's a hard drive failure. From my experience, those usually freeze your machine for a while before crashing the whole system.

zz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.