HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part II (Post 746 **Placed on Waivers**)

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 01:14 PM
stranger34

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolanitis View Post
No the right move is to send Dipietro to the minors and let him figure out if he can be a goaltender again, and then bring up Poulin. This is just another example of why this franchise is the joke of the NHL.

I am sure the Hurricanes are studying film hard to figure out how to score on Rickety!

What a joke. Unbelievable.
I've been saying the above for years. What has he done to earn back his NHL roster spot? Has he ever even done a conditioning stint in the AHL?

It makes me sick to my stomach that he is in goal for a fairly important game tn

Old
02-11-2013, 01:29 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
I've been saying the above for years. What has he done to earn back his NHL roster spot? Has he ever even done a conditioning stint in the AHL?

It makes me sick to my stomach that he is in goal for a fairly important game tn
Yeah, because Nabby has looked stellar thus far.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:30 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
Nabby is no spring chicken, the shortened season does him no favors. He's carried the load and could be wearing down, he needs a rest once in a while.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:33 PM
rollin109

Quote:
Your absolutely right he has looked horrible, but here is the point, Nabby has looked off for the past few games. This is why Dp hurts the Isles. Even when Nabakov is playing like **** they know they still have a better chance of winning when he's in net, where as if they had a viable option for a back up nabby could have taken a night off a soon as he needed it.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:43 PM
IslandersFan17

Not for nothing Ricky did not look bad in the Bruins game. THe Chara goal was the only one I would take back but the Bergeron goal was a breakaway with a nifty little move at the end.
Other than that, the Islanders played a sound game in front of Ricky.

I am just saying people are making it sound like we automatically concede a game with Ricky between the pipes while Nabby looks more than just rusty in the early goings.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:51 PM
IwayMike

Quote:
Not for nothing Ricky did not look bad in the Bruins game. THe Chara goal was the only one I would take back but the Bergeron goal was a breakaway with a nifty little move at the end.
Other than that, the Islanders played a sound game in front of Ricky.

I am just saying people are making it sound like we automatically concede a game with Ricky between the pipes while Nabby looks more than just rusty in the early goings.
I agree with this post. Ricky did not look any worse than Nabby did the past few games, and maybe even a little better.

If the Isles have a similar game to the Buffalo game with a few more pucks hitting the back of the net, Ricky should be fine.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Smith31

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwayMike View Post
I agree with this post. Ricky did not look any worse than Nabby did the past few games, and maybe even a little better.

If the Isles have a similar game to the Buffalo game with a few more pucks hitting the back of the net, Ricky should be fine.
Nabby has been good for one soft goal a game. I think Ricky has a decent chance of matching that performance (although I would probably bet the over on that prop). I'm curious if there is more room over Rickity's glove hand or between Cappy's shirt collar and his neck. We are already bush league enough can't our coach look like a professional and go to Marshall's (forget Brooks Brothers) after practice and pick up some new dress shirts?

Old
02-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Isles Fan

The real issue here is that the entire teams plays different with DiPietro in net. The D plays more cautious because they know he is going to over handle the puck and probably give it away. It is a whole different vibe when he is in net.

The fact he doesn't belong in the NHL is an after thought. His on ice presence hurts this entire team.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:23 PM
lacunacoil777

Which teams in the NHL would be so good that they could still make the PLayoffs with Dipietro as the back up, asuming he plays %20 of the time? I dont think more then one or two teams. Every other team would of been destroyed regardless of how good the rest of the team was.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:46 AM
OpAck

As I said in the game thread...Rick played well through portions of the game. And he plays well through portions of the other games over the past 5 years. But there are numerous things that are constant...

1. He moves around way more than he did pre-injuries. Flailing, flopping, spinning, not staying on his feet, and still coming way out to play the puck too often. Really erratic.

2. As a product of him moving around too much...he seems to have trouble getting in position in relation to the net and not being square to the shooter. He has good positioning most of the time, but occasionally you'll see him perhaps leaving a little too much real estate open for the shooter. We all know he likes to come out and challenge the shooter often. And so my "uneducated" guess is that perhaps he's moving around so damn much and comes out too far, that he doesn't always know where he is in relation to the net.

3. He gets caught in lala-land every once in awhile. Just doesn't follow the puck and doesn't focus as well he used to.

4. His reaction time is just not as good as it once was. Which is odd, considering he moves around so friggin much. Perhaps it's a "lala-land" type thing, but honestly, I just think his injuries have slowed him down a notch or two, which as a netminder, is an absolute career-killer.

I still feel for the guy...he's determined, he loves the team, he wants to win. But I also didn't hold my head in shame when I heard the DP sucks chant. As most of us see it...Rick has not been an NHL-quality backup netminder since his injuries. Yet, he gets a 15th, 16th, and 17th chance to prove that he is...and it's frustrating for us fans. And they took it out on him today. We've got two potentially NHL-quality netminders in the AHL...and they're just waiting for their opportunity. But Rick is in the way because he remains in the team's plans.

Last edited by OpAck: 02-12-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old
02-12-2013, 01:55 AM
GusTheo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
As I said in the game thread...Rick played well through portions of the game. And he plays well through portions of the other games over the past 5 years. But there are numerous things that are constant...

1. He moves around way more than he did pre-injuries. Flailing, flopping, spinning, not staying on his feet, and still coming way out to play the puck too often. Really erratic.

2. As a product of him moving around too much...he seems to have trouble getting in position in relation to the net and not being square to the shooter. He has good positioning most of the time, but occasionally you'll see him perhaps leaving a little too much real estate open for the shooter. We all know he likes to come out and challenge the shooter often. And so my "uneducated" guess is that perhaps he's moving around so damn much and comes out too far, that he doesn't always know where he is in relation to the net.

3. He gets caught in lala-land every once in awhile. Just doesn't follow the puck and doesn't focus as well he used to.

4. His reaction time is just not as good as it once was. Which is odd, considering he moves around so friggin much. Perhaps it's a "lala-land" type thing, but honestly, I just think his injuries have slowed him down a notch or two, which as a netminder, is an absolute career-killer.

I still feel for the guy...he's determined, he loves the team, he wants to win. But I also didn't hold my head in shame when I heard the DP sucks chant. As most of us see it...Rick has not been an NHL-quality backup netminder since his injuries. Yet, he gets a 15th, 16th, and 17th chance to prove that he is...and it's frustrating for us fans. And they took it out on him today. We've got two potentially NHL-quality netminders in the AHL...and they're just waiting for their opportunity. But Rick is in the way because he remains in the team's plans.
I can agree with a lot of this.

I don't agree with him moving around more now then pre-injury. I think he has calmed that down a bunch. He still comes out his fair share, but pre injury he'd come out for literally anything.

I didn't think he played terrible tonight, a lot of deflections did him in. But he HAS to play, you can burn Nabokov out. Lets not forget DP has played in a while this season, and a long while prior

I think both goalies would benefit with DP getting in about a game a week on average. That being said, I don't think played exceptionally either. He needs to stay in the net more, and just focus on being in position and rebound control.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:00 AM
OpAck

You might be right about it not moving around as much. The thing I was kinda saying was that Rick is a very active goaltender by nature, not only in him coming out to play the puck but also in net. He may have tamed down a bit, but it's still way too much, IMO.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:08 AM
cheesemonkey619

Where da puck?

Old
02-12-2013, 03:32 AM
25yearfan

Maybe NYI can put Tim Thomas's cap hit in net.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:15 AM
CShuckWangGoAway*

Rickey plays like he's drunk.

The guy can't even get off the ice.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:25 AM
GusTheo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
You might be right about it not moving around as much. The thing I was kinda saying was that Rick is a very active goaltender by nature, not only in him coming out to play the puck but also in net. He may have tamed down a bit, but it's still way too much, IMO.
I agree. But who knows, maybe with more playing time that might decrease? But don't you remember pre injury who used to be like a fish out of water in the crease, almost like he was trying to emulate the dominator.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:29 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusTheo View Post
I agree. But who knows, maybe with more playing time that might decrease? But don't you remember pre injury who used to be like a fish out of water in the crease, almost like he was trying to emulate the dominator.
And that playing time to round into form should not occur at the NHL level, it needs to be in Bridgeport

Old
02-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Hip Of Rick

Very simple DP SUCKS.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:05 AM
bigd

At this point in their careers Nabby is a back up goalie and DP should be retired. If they don't take full advantage of this one time buy out option this off season then we know DP has some incriminating photos of Wang.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:19 AM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesemonkey619 View Post

Where da puck?
Is this the Islanders version of the Butt Fumble? (See Mark Sanchez NY Jets)

Old
02-12-2013, 10:39 AM
steveat

Trade up for Fucale next draft!!!!

BTW...When was the last time DP got a regulation time win?

Old
02-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Hipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesemonkey619 View Post

Where da puck?
I honestly can't picture that being a goal against any other goalie in the NHL. Can anyone honestly say they think Lundqvist would have let that in?

Jesus Christ Rick, just stop the ****ing puck.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:08 AM
steveat

It all happened soooo fast...can't blame Dipi! 8-)

I am thinking out loud here...this is my take. You don't become a goalie, expected to be drafted in the first round without being at least GOOD. As a goalie that good, you should have a certain level of ability/agility and have the knack of anticipation....where the puck is going to go...

Dipi doesn't seem to have neither agility or anticipation, which leads me to believe that he has either lost it by the lack of playing..which I think is a crock, because anticipation at the very least is used every single day of your life...Agility...well...he has to work out every day to get strong against injuries..or at least work out and rest a lot to heal the injury(s).

1. Dipi is either not mobile on purpose (he is afraid of injury or body won't move because it expects to be injured. This does happen. When your body still thinks it's injured, it won't let you use certain muscles in an off chance you might overdo/overexert something). This does happen. When I blew my rotator cuff, you could see different muscles compensating every time I moved my arm, so as not to re-injure the current problem.

2. He is just not mobile anymore. He is so far from gameshape, that his body just can't adjust.

Either way, the team cannot afford to keep him, but can the team afford to lose him/contract/cap floor.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Original Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
I honestly can't picture that being a goal against any other goalie in the NHL. Can anyone honestly say they think Lundqvist would have let that in?

Seriously? Listen, I think DP sucks just as much as the next guy... but 4 of the 5 goals last night were on deflections right near the goal, he didn't really have much of a chance. That one in particular off of Hamonic, that's not a routine save with a 90 degree change of direction from 5-feet out front.

Anyway, Wang/Snow/Cappy gotta go!

Old
02-12-2013, 11:52 AM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post

C'mon, you can't really blame Ricky on that frickn ping-pong goal. There were some weird goals in yesterday's game, DiPietro was in NO WAY the reason the Isles lost that game. He played no worse than Nabby played the last 3-4 games for that matter.

He's still a lightning rod, that won't ever go away. But that was a freak goal, a lucky goal, not a bad goal.

Bad teams get back calls, have bad luck, complain about injuries, don't get bounces - they are excuses for losing. Jersey lost Parise. Vancouver's missing Kesler.

Closed Thread