HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc-Andre Fleury: Why the Penguins Should Bench Him

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2013, 09:31 PM
  #226
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup
 
Malkin4Top6Wingerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
The reason "we don't make legitimate cases" is because you just don't have any understanding of the position, and quite frankly, game in general. The only argument that you see as legitimate is one using number. You make the argument of a guy who never played the game, yet thinks the stats the computer shows him makes him an expert.
Joe Morgan, is that you?

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:45 PM
  #227
SaturdayNightSlegr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh suburbs
Country: United States
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
I watch majority of Anaheim's games and Corey Perry hasn't been elite winger last year nor this year. He was playing somewhat well last year if you factor that ducks as a whole sucked, he had his frustrating moments but this year he has been quite terrible. So stats are quite correct.
excellent! so we can get him with TK, prospects and picks!

SaturdayNightSlegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:49 PM
  #228
LSnow
Registered User
 
LSnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturdayNightSlegr View Post
excellent! so we can get him with TK, prospects and picks!
Bad years for someone is career years for another.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:58 AM
  #229
No Chance of Fluerys
Les Go!
 
No Chance of Fluerys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Things that do bother me immensely with Fleury are the following:

1. He can lose focus at times, which could be the reason why shutout elude him. He sometimes plays like he has ADD, and he needs to be involved to be effective. The 1st shot goals have also tended to be a problem, and again, it's because some times his focus isn't there.

2. He is still piss poor at playing the puck. It's a skill of his that has never gotten better, and I don't think it ever will. When you see a guy like Conklin or Vokoun playing in Bylsma's system, it's an awesome thing. You have a goalie that can effectively start a break up ice, it just makes this team faster. Fleury cannot, and will never be able to do that.

3. Much like Jordan Staal, Fleury reads the papers, and listens to the media. I remember in the beginning of the season 2 years ago where he was absolutely terrible, I was at that game where the fans chanted his name in pregame against the Lightning, and that turned his whole season around. It shouldn't take that to bring a goaltender out of the depth of despair. He is way too hard on himself, and his confidence is shaky because of it.
I do see your point, and agree with most of your post, but I can't quite write off fleury just yet. The guy will never be Brodeur, but no one ever will reach that level in the NHL again in my opinion. It's pretty easy to jump onto the vokoun bandwagon, but at the same time, don't you have to think about the fact that he's an older, injury prone goalie? The guy's great, but for how long? I've read atleast three articles between yahoo, bleacher report, and the hockey writers all saying to replace fleury or give vokoun a starting role, but it is way too early this season to say anything about either one of their performances.

And a word about your number 3, even though its a little OT, our fans should be doing that for him MORE, and for our team in general more. I don't know if i'm the only one that noticed lately, but the fans in consol have started to suck unless we're winning in the game. Scott P from WDVE wrote a very good article about that.

No Chance of Fluerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:14 AM
  #230
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Dark Matter
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Darkness
Country: United States
Posts: 27,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Exactly.

That's what we need in America... Elite Yoots. As long as we define what "elite" means first.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:37 AM
  #231
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 23,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
I watch majority of Anaheim's games and Corey Perry hasn't been elite winger last year nor this year. He was playing somewhat well last year if you factor that ducks as a whole sucked, he had his frustrating moments but this year he has been quite terrible. So stats are quite correct.
Exactly. Which is what I said earlier and why Ogalthorpe using Perry to compare to Fleury is ridiculous. He has stats to show he is elite, but that doesn't mean he didn't struggle last year (he did and the stats back it up). Fleury, however, has very little stats to prove he's "elite" (top 5, 10, however you want to say it) and many stats to show he is an solid, above average to average starting goaltender.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:38 AM
  #232
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 23,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Exactly.

That's what we need in America... Elite Yoots. As long as we define what "elite" means first.
The best 15 out of 60 yoots.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:05 AM
  #233
No Chance of Fluerys
Les Go!
 
No Chance of Fluerys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Exactly. Which is what I said earlier and why Ogalthorpe using Perry to compare to Fleury is ridiculous. He has stats to show he is elite, but that doesn't mean he didn't struggle last year (he did and the stats back it up). Fleury, however, has very little stats to prove he's "elite" (top 5, 10, however you want to say it) and many stats to show he is an solid, above average to average starting goaltender.
I'm not sure if i'm placing him on elite status, but he's a damn solid goaltender. We could absolutely win another cup with him, and if you'd notice specifically as of late, most of his bad games were riddled with defensive breakdowns. even brodeur in his holiness has a solid defensive structure in front of him, and i'm sure that helps his stats.

No Chance of Fluerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:09 AM
  #234
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 17,539
vCash: 500
I think MAF has been ok this year, my only gripe is the goaltending coach/consultant. Was hoping when Allaire was let go by the Leafs, the Pens would jump on it. They didn't, still have Meloche...seems like Fleury has stagnated with his growth and well, that's why I was hoping he'd get a new goaltending coach/consultant. A fresh pair of eyes on his technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
Bad years for someone is career years for another.
Weird thing to say. Unless that "another" is someone that is as skilled as Perry and has never put up numbers like that, but then puts up similar numbers in Corey's "off year"...then sure.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:55 AM
  #235
StoneColdFlower*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 539
vCash: 500
Been very pleased with him as of late. And even when I'm not I'm still grateful that we're not blowing that kind of money on Bryzgalov. :-P he **** the bed again last night. Flyers suck.

StoneColdFlower* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:20 PM
  #236
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 9,013
vCash: 500
Can't imagine why this thread has been neglected for so long....

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:22 PM
  #237
PensFanSince1989
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,426
vCash: 500
Bench him in favour of who exactly?

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:25 PM
  #238
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 9,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
Bench him in favour of who exactly?
I hear crickets. Can't imagine why...

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:25 PM
  #239
StoneColdFlower*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 539
vCash: 500
We want Johnson!

StoneColdFlower* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:26 PM
  #240
domaug*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Archbald, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
Bench him in favour of who exactly?
Tomas Vok-- wait...

umm... Brad Thie-- shoot, wait...

oh i know: John Cur-- wait they got rid of him...

Brent Johnson? nah.

Jeff Zatkoff? nope.

Pat Killeen? colder.

Alexander Pechurski? not here either...

crap, the Pens don't have anyone. literally, the only somewhat competent goalie they have now is Fleury. i would like to think he wouldn't have **** the bed tonight.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:29 PM
  #241
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 9,013
vCash: 500
They should have started Vokoun against Buffalo and Fleury against the Flyers. Fleury was in beast mode when there was traffic around the net.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:29 PM
  #242
Sideline
Registered User
 
Sideline's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,370
vCash: 8981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
I hear crickets. Can't imagine why...
I needed 60 seconds to fire up the yourtube machine:







Instead of just being ****ed, were double ****ed.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:34 PM
  #243
wgknestrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,613
vCash: 500
It's pretty obvious Meloche has been working with TV in between his few starts. TV's play was very MAF esque.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:36 PM
  #244
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 9,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I needed 60 seconds to fire up the yourtube machine:



Instead of just being ****ed, were double ****ed.
lol. Typical Fleury bashers. When Vokoun has a bad game, bombard the board with YouTube videos of Fleury.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:36 PM
  #245
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?
 
Ogelthorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I needed 60 seconds to fire up the yourtube machine:







Instead of just being ****ed, were double ****ed.
3 bad goals from 3 different games. Vokoun let in 6 bad goals tonight....well make it 5, I'll give him the one off of Nisky. Goal 1 horrible, and he didn't even attempt to get back to the crease. Goal 2, down WAY to early. Goal 3 horrible rebound control. Goal 4 WTF was he thinking. And goal 6 after all that comeback was just awful. So yeah 5 bad goals in 1 game.

One bad game by Vokoun doesn't make him a bad goalie, but man he cost us this game for sure.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:38 PM
  #246
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 9,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
3 bad goals from 3 different games. Vokoun let in 6 bad goals tonight....well make it 5, I'll give him the one off of Nisky. Goal 1 horrible, and he didn't even attempt to get back to the crease. Goal 2, down WAY to early. Goal 3 horrible rebound control. Goal 4 WTF was he thinking. And goal 6 after all that comeback was just awful. So yeah 5 bad goals in 1 game.

One bad game by Vokoun doesn't make him a bad goalie, but man he cost us this game for sure.
Didn't you know? That only applies to Fleury. And no matter how many good games he has it doesn't matter.

And don't you dare bring up that goal off the glass Vokoun let in during the Capitals game!

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:38 PM
  #247
LetangInTheSO
Registered User
 
LetangInTheSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 2,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I needed 60 seconds to fire up the yourtube machine:







Instead of just being ****ed, were double ****ed.
I'm late to the party here, so I don't know what argument I'm interrupting, but maybe, just maybe, hockey is a very fast game full of bounces and broken plays and any/all goalies who have played hundreds of NHL games have a highlight reel of fluky, ****** goals scored on them.

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:39 PM
  #248
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 9,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
I'm late to the party here, so I don't know what argument I'm interrupting, but maybe, just maybe, hockey is a very fast game full of bounces and broken plays and any/all goalies who have played hundreds of NHL games have a highlight reel of fluky, ****** goals scored on them.
Like Brodeur's own goal during the Stanley Cup Finals?

No! It's only Fleury that lets it bad goals! HAVE HIM SHOT IMMEDIATELY SO WE CAN FORGET ABOUT THE TERRIBLE GAME THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:42 PM
  #249
Sideline
Registered User
 
Sideline's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,370
vCash: 8981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
lol. Typical Fleury bashers. When Vokoun has a bad game, bombard the board with YouTube videos of Fleury.
You bumped this thread like Vokoun playing awful negates Fleury's long history or soft goals. I merely sought to reminded you of the glass house you throw stones from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
3 bad goals from 3 different games. Vokoun let in 6 bad goals tonight....well make it 5, I'll give him the one off of Nisky. Goal 1 horrible, and he didn't even attempt to get back to the crease. Goal 2, down WAY to early. Goal 3 horrible rebound control. Goal 4 WTF was he thinking. And goal 6 after all that comeback was just awful. So yeah 5 bad goals in 1 game.

One bad game by Vokoun doesn't make him a bad goalie, but man he cost us this game for sure.
I could have posted all the game highlights from the playoffs last year, but that would be about 30 minutes of Fleury sucking. These three videos serve as a decent sample.

Read the GDT. I lite into Vokoun.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:42 PM
  #250
TheSniper26
Christ Kunitz
 
TheSniper26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Youngstown
Country: United States
Posts: 3,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
lol. Typical Fleury bashers. When Vokoun has a bad game, bombard the board with YouTube videos of Fleury.
Weren't you the one that dragged this thread back up? Yep, typical Fleury bashers.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.