Old
02-11-2013, 04:03 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
Still no idea when he plays?
I am almost scared to post this but with all our D injury issues we have been shockingly healthy with our forwards since Peluso was picked up? yes it is now my fault when the inevitable happens on Tuesday night.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:08 AM
cheswick

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
Still no idea when he plays?
He did take the pre-game skate the other day. So was close to playing. I'd liek to see him tonight to take on Rinaldo.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
He did take the pre-game skate the other day. So was close to playing. I'd liek to see him tonight to take on Rinaldo.
Here comes old fashioned me again! But i'd like to see Peluso in the line-up tonight as well. I'd sit Wellwood. If Rinaldo wants to take runs at our guys, #14 will be waiting, run him.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:18 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 224
Yeah, I'm anxious to see him.
Perhaps he's a bum, but I want to make that assessment myself. Honestly I think that there are players (Wellwood, Thorburn) that Peluso can replace without us seeing a drop off in overall team play.
I know this will sound beyond ridiculous, but he looked good in warm ups last game!

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Yeah, I'm anxious to see him.
Perhaps he's a bum, but I want to make that assessment myself. Honestly I think that there are players (Wellwood, Thorburn) that Peluso can replace without us seeing a drop off in overall team play.
I know this will sound beyond ridiculous, but he looked good in warm ups last game!
I just hope we can see him in a game or ideally a few games so we can really get a look at him. In due time I would imagine we'll have to waive someone, be it Clitsome, etc.. Miettinen will be back eventually. Can only have a 23 man roster.

Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Kane, Jokinen, Burmistrov, Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Wellwood, Miettinen, Slater, Thorburn, Wright, Peluso.

Enstrom, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Hainsey, Stuart, Redmond, Postma, Clitsome.

Pavelec, Montoya.

If all healthy, one will have to go to get us to 23.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

I know that coaches etc will have the best judgement of his ability to play with the Jets, but I can't help but have a little optimism after reading the accounts of others who have actually watched him play. He doesn't sound like scrub or a goon, he sounds like someone who can actually play, but play very physically.

Again, the coaching staff will have their reasons for playing/not playing him.

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

Here is a little article on him from just before we claimed him. Sorry if this has been posted already.

http://aeryssports.com/intermission-...nthony-peluso/

Old
02-12-2013, 10:34 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Well there you have it. More PIMs than ice time.

allan5oh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:47 PM
TroubaFan1

vCash: 500
I thought he did ok for the amount of ice time he had, it just would of been nice if he didnt take those two penalties.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

vCash: 170
if rinaldo had dropped the gloves, nobody would be questioning him cause he would have had one fighting major and one sticking up penalty. Just unfortunate that Rinaldo is a lil *expletive*

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:53 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 224
I'm disappointed.
I fear that'll be his one shot.
Honestly, he got clowned by someone who's been around the block on his first penalty. Rinaldo knew that Peluso had to make an impression and used Anthony's urgency against him.
The second penalty I have no problem with. He was essentially standing up for a teammate. Did he run the guy? Ya. Am I okay that it resulted in a penalty? Ya. Honestly I'm happy to see guys step up for their teammates. Wright got in a fight, Peluso sought out the guy and laid him out.

I hope we see him again.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:32 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

I just want to see him drop the mitts.

JustGivingEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:37 AM
alchemyindex
Winter is Coming

Wasn't able to watch the game, unfortunately. Does anyone have video of his penalties?

Please and thank you?

alchemyindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:37 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Peluso had positive possession stats in the game
Of course, so did the whole team... just Bryz>Mont/Pavs this game

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:10 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Ok, well I am known as the Peluso hater round these parts, so I'll chime in.

I have nothing against him. He is a member of the Winnipeg Jets and I hope he does well. Unfortunately, I view him as having a top end talent of a fighter, ala Kevin Westgarth, Colton Orr. I hate those players.

They are beyond useless, in fact hurt a team since you cannot play a 4 line attack. I want a team that is relentless on the attack, all 4 lines push the game and wear the opponent down. I do want a strategic area type team. I really think the Jets are going for what I want. And a goon ruins that since you cannot trust a goon to play in this role.

People here have argued I have written him off. I don't think that's true. I don't think it will happen, but hell I've been wrong before. Now the key to finding this out...giving him a chance to prove it. I am a big believer in putting people in places to succeed. That's how you do it. By the same token as putting Scheifele with Slater and Thorburn is not putting him in a position to succeed, how they treated Peluso tonight is not putting him in a place to succeed, IF you are hoping he becomes more than a goon.

Playing Peluso what, 4 shifts, does nothing but reinforce this image. Cutting down to 3 lines for the 2nd half of the game is the EXACT thing I am worried about. Either you give Peluso the chance to prove he can be more than a goon, or you get rid of him, IMO. No middle ground.

Peluso clearly had instructions to go after Rinaldo. It was his only goal all game. When he was on the ice trying to make plays he was ALL over the place trying to hard to prove he belongs, IMO. Maybe that's just nerves. But I think we all saw how weak his skating is (not strong on his skates, doesn't turn well, no quickness). But by benching him in the 2nd half all you have told him is that he has to be a goon to stay, IMO. All they've shown me and Peluso is that Noel trusts him solely as a goon.

In summary, either you play him and give his chance to succeed (if you truly think he can be more than a goon), or you cut ties. I want no part of Orr, Westgarth, McLaren or the rest of those clowns, let them skate around and do nothing. We have plenty of team toughness with Ladd, Stuart, Thorburn, Slater, Wright, Kane all as guys who will step up for their teammates, Antropov, Burmistrov, Byfuglien hell even Toby like to piss people off and rattle them, and there is just no reason to ever fight an Orr, the guy just helps us by being on the ice for opposition. Why handicap ourselves by employing his equivalent, IF that's how they are going to treat Peluso, as they did tonight.

I have never understood this waiver pickup from day 1. Goons are dead, and if he is going to be more like Jets management thinks, give him a chance to do THAT instead of being a goon, ala tonight.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:34 AM
bazaaa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I'm disappointed.
I fear that'll be his one shot.
Honestly, he got clowned by someone who's been around the block on his first penalty. Rinaldo knew that Peluso had to make an impression and used Anthony's urgency against him.
The second penalty I have no problem with. He was essentially standing up for a teammate. Did he run the guy? Ya. Am I okay that it resulted in a penalty? Ya. Honestly I'm happy to see guys step up for their teammates. Wright got in a fight, Peluso sought out the guy and laid him out.

I hope we see him again.
Noel didn't seem to upset by it, hopefully he gets another chance

"“Anthony’s a guy that plays a role that’s new to the National Hockey League and probably would’ve been nervous and wanting to get involved,” head coach Claude Noel said.

“I certainly applaud his will and his want to help us out, but in the National Hockey League guys can bait you into things and that happened on the first penalty. The other one he stuck up for his teammate.”

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:01 AM
scelaton

I think I've seen enough even in the few minutes he was on the ice to render an opinion. Holden looks like he was right on this one--Peluso was hired to be a goon and we don't need him. A player like him is irrelevant to the Jets. We are big enough to take care of ourselves; we don't have a superstar who requires protection; we are not so complete a team that we just need an enforcer to make us perfect. Why Peluso?
What we need is more talent, arguably more grit from within, but certainly not a marginally talented behemoth who will just give us more unnecessary penalties.
Mistake.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:19 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1126
I'd like to see him get another chance. He was not the reason we lost. If Rinaldo hadn't baited him and engaged everyone would likely be singing another tune regarding Peluso. The couple minutes we saw was not enough in my opinion to pass judgement. IMO the coaching staff needed to do more to prepare him for his first NHL game and what might come his way.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:28 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Ok, well I am known as the Peluso hater round these parts, so I'll chime in.

I have nothing against him. He is a member of the Winnipeg Jets and I hope he does well. Unfortunately, I view him as having a top end talent of a fighter, ala Kevin Westgarth, Colton Orr. I hate those players.

They are beyond useless, in fact hurt a team since you cannot play a 4 line attack. I want a team that is relentless on the attack, all 4 lines push the game and wear the opponent down. I do want a strategic area type team. I really think the Jets are going for what I want. And a goon ruins that since you cannot trust a goon to play in this role.

People here have argued I have written him off. I don't think that's true. I don't think it will happen, but hell I've been wrong before. Now the key to finding this out...giving him a chance to prove it. I am a big believer in putting people in places to succeed. That's how you do it. By the same token as putting Scheifele with Slater and Thorburn is not putting him in a position to succeed, how they treated Peluso tonight is not putting him in a place to succeed, IF you are hoping he becomes more than a goon.

Playing Peluso what, 4 shifts, does nothing but reinforce this image. Cutting down to 3 lines for the 2nd half of the game is the EXACT thing I am worried about. Either you give Peluso the chance to prove he can be more than a goon, or you get rid of him, IMO. No middle ground.

Peluso clearly had instructions to go after Rinaldo. It was his only goal all game. When he was on the ice trying to make plays he was ALL over the place trying to hard to prove he belongs, IMO. Maybe that's just nerves. But I think we all saw how weak his skating is (not strong on his skates, doesn't turn well, no quickness). But by benching him in the 2nd half all you have told him is that he has to be a goon to stay, IMO. All they've shown me and Peluso is that Noel trusts him solely as a goon.

In summary, either you play him and give his chance to succeed (if you truly think he can be more than a goon), or you cut ties. I want no part of Orr, Westgarth, McLaren or the rest of those clowns, let them skate around and do nothing. We have plenty of team toughness with Ladd, Stuart, Thorburn, Slater, Wright, Kane all as guys who will step up for their teammates, Antropov, Burmistrov, Byfuglien hell even Toby like to piss people off and rattle them, and there is just no reason to ever fight an Orr, the guy just helps us by being on the ice for opposition. Why handicap ourselves by employing his equivalent, IF that's how they are going to treat Peluso, as they did tonight.

I have never understood this waiver pickup from day 1. Goons are dead, and if he is going to be more like Jets management thinks, give him a chance to do THAT instead of being a goon, ala tonight.

And this is exactly what I can agree with. Every single bit of it. Though I disagree, I believe Peluso's mobility around the ice is just fine. It has been pretty well advertised that I was one who is more than open to seeing if Peluso can carve out a role on this team, one much like Rinaldo played against us last night. Ya, he's a little punk, but at the end of the day he's a tough player, can take care of himself, agitates the other team, basically you like him on your team but hate playing against him. That is what I want and hope(d) Peluso could be for us. An Asham, a Prust, etc. I agree top to bottom with you Holden, I do not want a goon either. In this day and age there really is no place for them - there we agree.

I am also, and always have been a believer in rolling 4 lines, I believe that is a must. If we've got a player that is detrimental to that, perhaps Peluso, and he then cuts the icetime of Slater and Wright, then that isn't going to work.

I still believe and hope Anthony Peluso can have a role on this team. A Rinaldo, Asham, Prust role. He can hit like a truck, he gets around the ice just fine in my opinion, but he needs to be worked with and carved into his proper role here. I'd say nearly "every tough guy" whether he can play or not will get those jitters and adrenalin that Peluso showed last night. They have finally "made it", but now their window is short, the pressure is on, and they think they have to do it all and prove their worth in their first 1-3 shifts. Tie Domi did it in his time. Dave Brown back in the day. Probert. Asham used to, perhaps even still does at times. Prust as well. It's just how these guys think, it's their DNA, but they can be worked with and groomed.

Chris Neil back when he began and was more than less just a 4th line guy like the above players. Sure Neil was a good junior and he has become a good 3rd line guy, but when he broke into the NHL he was looking for nothing more than to prove his toughness and goon it up. He hurt the Sens countless times. I'll say one thing, Peluso last night was Chris Neil when he entered the league 11-12 years ago as a young 20-something year old, 100% cut from the same cloth. Neil would run around, get out of position, take a bad penalty, try too hard, to what? To fight Tie Domi if he was on the opposing team. To fight Rob Ray. Chris Simon. Paul Laus. Matt Johnson. Gary Roberts. Shane Corson. If you could fight, Chris Neil was looking for you. He had 25 fights in his single rookie season.

If we can utilize Peluso, much like I believe we can and Holden mentions we'll need to if he will be worth a damn to this team and in this league, then fine. But if we simply use him as a goon and nothing more, and give him 2-5 minutes a night, then most certainly I believe he'll be useless.

Last edited by Guerzy: 02-13-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old
02-13-2013, 08:58 AM
koth

vCash: 162
I feel bad for James Wright. Previous to this game, he used to get about 8 minutes a game or so, now, with Peluso on his line he got about 2 minutes.

At least Jim Slater got to go out and take some faceoffs before going to the bench again. If Thorburn was on that line, in that game, they would have seen a lot more ice time than they did with Peluso on that line.

I don't think you can judge him based on this last game. It was his first game, he was excited, and he looked nervous. But if you are going to bench the line that he is on because you don't want to put him out there, then don't put him in the line up.

koth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by koth View Post
I feel bad for James Wright. Previous to this game, he used to get about 8 minutes a game or so, now, with Peluso on his line he got about 2 minutes.
6 minutes and 28 seconds to be precise.
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...3/TH020183.HTM

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

Good points all around. Either use him has a legitimate 4th liner to see what he has or admit that you only want a goon. If it's the latter, cut him loose. *Suddenly have Loverboy in my head*

Old
02-13-2013, 09:28 AM
koth

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
6 minutes and 28 seconds to be precise.
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...3/TH020183.HTM
Well, now I don't feel AS bad for him, but he still would have had more ice time with Thorburn on his line.

koth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

I didn't think his mobility was bad.

his size is awe worthy.

I didn't have much of a problem with either of his penalteis, first was pretty much classic "rookie mistake" and I thought that charging bordered a little too close to "2 minutes for being big".

That being said, i agree with the sentiment, if your going to play him, and thus his line, for 5-6 minutes rather then 8-9, cut him loose. All that does is wear down the rest of your team more then is necessary, something to be wary of in the condensed season.

I would really of liked to see him played 8 minutes so i could at least formulate a better opinion, i do hope he gets into at least one more game and is given more time to prove he can do something. I'm mostly afraid of his mentality, he may have the skills to do more then be a goon, but if that's all he's trying to do then it's all for not.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I didn't think his mobility was bad.

his size is awe worthy.

I didn't have much of a problem with either of his penalteis, first was pretty much classic "rookie mistake" and I thought that charging bordered a little too close to "2 minutes for being big".
That being said, i agree with the sentiment, if your going to play him, and thus his line, for 5-6 minutes rather then 8-9, cut him loose. All that does is wear down the rest of your team more then is necessary, something to be wary of in the condensed season.

I would really of liked to see him played 8 minutes so i could at least formulate a better opinion, i do hope he gets into at least one more game and is given more time to prove he can do something. I'm mostly afraid of his mentality, he may have the skills to do more then be a goon, but if that's all he's trying to do then it's all for not.
I thought the same about the charging penalty. If that would have been someone smaller, I wonder if it would have been called.

Second bolded quote, I keep reading about his ever-improving skills, but I wonder if he's ever been given a chance to prove that he has them or not? I wish they would have sent him out on his first shift, asking him to play his heart out and not fight unless he absolutely had to. It would have been much better for everyone.