HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Look at Toronto...

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 09:55 PM
tml145

vCash: 500
stop looking

Old
02-11-2013, 10:02 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I can't believe you just suggested getting a guy like Colton Orr. I'm sure the Leafs would send him here on a freaking one way plane and pay for the whole thing.
You would be wrong about Orr. That 4th line is just what is needed. Two huge tough guys that can actually play a bit in Mcclaren and Orr with a defensive center is deadly.

Even as a Leaf fan I find it funny that someone wants to model a team after the Leafs.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Stephen

The thing that made the Philadelphia Flyers great last season was your incredible depth up front. Tonight the Leafs were clicking because they had a top 9 that could produce and a 4th line that chipped in, which in a weird way is patterned on what the Flyers were doing last year.

Not sure you can lose an entire line's worth of top 6 forwards in Hartnell, Jagr and JVR in one offseason, not to mention Kubina and Carle and Pronger for good and expect to be just as competitive as last season.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
The OP did clarify meaning this season only.

Sure we haven't done anything yet. We shall see.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:22 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Oh Jesus

As a Leafs fan, I'm flattered, but seriously, unless you're a self-loathing masochist who just wants to hate themselves for the next decade, don't build a team like Toronto

Like seriously I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy

*sob

Old
02-11-2013, 11:40 PM
ironrhcp

Quote:
I can't believe you just suggested getting a guy like Colton Orr. I'm sure the Leafs would send him here on a freaking one way plane and pay for the whole thing.
haha nope were cool with him, we love him especially when he pops one in once and a while. Like he did toni..... oh sorry

Old
02-12-2013, 12:12 AM
Winreims

Sorry to bombard your board like this as a Leaf fan... but believe me guys, you don't want the Flyers to model themselves after the Leafs and what we've done in recent years Your team will be fine.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:14 AM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironrhcp View Post
haha nope were cool with him, we love him especially when he pops one in once and a while. Like he did toni..... oh sorry
I see what you did there.

Hey...what's your last memory of Maple Leafs playoff hock...

Oh sorry.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:28 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
I see what you did there.

Hey...what's your last memory of Maple Leafs playoff hock...

Oh sorry.

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

Seven leaf fans posted in a row. Had to be the guy to ruin it

Old
02-12-2013, 01:47 AM
LuigiStone*

Thank you Leafs for proving my point. Colton Orr FTW, as they say

And I'm only talking about this year's Leafs with Carlyle and a GM who gives Carlyle what Carlyle wants...like McLaren.

And if you still have a problem with me mentioning the Leafs, then just replace it with the Bruins. A team that still plays the Big Bad Bruins way and even won a cup.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:53 AM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

Seven leaf fans posted in a row. Had to be the guy to ruin it
Hell of a way to do it, ey?

Old
02-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiStone View Post
Thank you Leafs for proving my point. Colton Orr FTW, as they say

And I'm only talking about this year's Leafs with Carlyle and a GM who gives Carlyle what Carlyle wants...like McLaren.

And if you still have a problem with me mentioning the Leafs, then just replace it with the Bruins. A team that still plays the Big Bad Bruins way and even won a cup.
So all we need is a goaltender to put up a pantheon level regular season and playoff run.

02-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Flyrs21

I don't want them to play Flyers hockey, playing Flyers hockey hasn't won since 1975

Old
02-12-2013, 10:38 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

The irony of this thread after last night is not lost on us.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:22 AM
thatshype

Another Leafs fan here, but I come in peace!

To me, the Flyers made a huge play for the FUTURE when they traded for Voracek, Schenn x2, and Couturier. In my opinion you guys are developing a young team that will be most competitive in a few years, similar to what Edmonton has done. Losing the veterans like Pronger and finding out that Bryzgalov isn't the all-star you guys need just means that you're more committed to playing for the future, and I don't like the idea of you guys making impact trades to adopt a "win-now" mentality. Between Giroux, Read, and the young guys I mentioned above, Philly should be a consistent powerhouse over the next few seasons.

Toronto looks like a better team right NOW, but I'm more than willing to bet that you guys will become the better team in a season or two.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
Another Leafs fan here, but I come in peace!

To me, the Flyers made a huge play for the FUTURE when they traded for Voracek, Schenn x2, and Couturier. In my opinion you guys are developing a young team that will be most competitive in a few years, similar to what Edmonton has done. Losing the veterans like Pronger and finding out that Bryzgalov isn't the all-star you guys need just means that you're more committed to playing for the future, and I don't like the idea of you guys making impact trades to adopt a "win-now" mentality. Between Giroux, Read, and the young guys I mentioned above, Philly should be a consistent powerhouse over the next few seasons.

Toronto looks like a better team right NOW, but I'm more than willing to bet that you guys will become the better team in a season or two.
Our goalie has actually been very good this year. Bryz is the only reason the Flyers have had a chance in a lot of games, but he's had zero offensive support.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:46 AM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Our goalie has actually been very good this year. Bryz is the only reason the Flyers have had a chance in a lot of games, but he's had zero offensive support.
I am aware of that, I was more referring to last season when mentioning Bryz.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Flyers (5-5-1) and Toronto (7-5-0). If the Flyers had a real coach they could have two more wins.
or better yet....if we won last night...we both have 6 wins. It does sting to see us struggling for goals while we have 2 recent former players leading their team in goals

Old
02-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Tripod

I looked at the schedule before the month and figured we COULD go 10-5 to turn things around. We are playing teams that are playoff tweeners. Toronto, Mtl, Winn, Wash, etc. Only 2 HARD divisional games-NJ and Pens. We are now 3-2-1 in 6 games. If we only go .500 for the month, i think we are screwed once we start having to play more divisional games and play teams like Boston. But if we are to have a bad year, let it be this one. I would rather, if we are out of the playoffs near the deadline, BE A SELLER! Trade all the assets you can...keeping our young core. Then pray to god you can replace pieces in the offseason from UFA.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:29 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

I don't care if Orr scored a goal tonight. I don't want him. You can try and rub it in my face all you want. I don't want a guy that averages 5 minutes a game, we already have that guy. Shelley isn't good either.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Snipsnap12

Is this for real? Model our team after a franchise that hasn't made it to the playoffs since when?!?!... Fire a Stanley cup winning coach who brought us to the cup finals and hire who!?!?

I think true fans that really follow the flyers and don't just jump ship due to a shaky start realize that losing guys like carle, jagr, Jvr, and having players like hartnell, and mezaros miss time with injury may affect the team. Of course there was going to be speed bumps when we start relying more on our younger players to step into a bigger role.

But if we get healthy, and those 2nd year players start to produce consistently.... Dangerous team...anyone has a chance in a season such as this

Old
02-13-2013, 01:09 AM
LuigiStone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Is this for real? Model our team after a franchise that hasn't made it to the playoffs since when?!?!... Fire a Stanley cup winning coach who brought us to the cup finals and hire who!?!?

I think true fans that really follow the flyers and don't just jump ship due to a shaky start realize that losing guys like carle, jagr, Jvr, and having players like hartnell, and mezaros miss time with injury may affect the team. Of course there was going to be speed bumps when we start relying more on our younger players to step into a bigger role.

But if we get healthy, and those 2nd year players start to produce consistently.... Dangerous team...anyone has a chance in a season such as this

Don't model the Flyers after the Leafs, just do what they did and hire a coach and a bunch of guys that fit the Flyers way of playing the game. Is it really that hard to understand?

Look at the Stanley Cup winners after the year 2000 and see how many tough teams have won.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:36 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 365
We lead the league in hits and blocked shots and are 4th in penalties, 3rd most majors... where is the lack of toughness?

I think the thing hurting us most is several important forwards either being injured or recently back from injury and not up to full speed... hence why it seems a big task to pot more than 3. We have only had 6 proven top 9 forwards on the ice in the last 2 games.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:49 AM
kicksave27

healthiest team wins, they started hurt, then lost hartnell & mez almost immediately, hence problems. Almost every power forward we put on the top line has been hurt immediately, the fact that mcginn didn't get hurt after being board in wash surprises me.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:57 AM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

A lot of the teams that have won the cup in recent years have had elite level talent scoring forwards, and the ones who haven't have had incredible goalie performances to carry them. They didn't carry a bunch of goons.

Closed Thread