HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals: Version IV - Kings & Rangers are low..trade?

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 10:49 AM
JimLaheyprobert

vCash: 500
I personally dont think this would give us much. Komosarich is not worth alot due to his horrible play and 4 mill cap number, and macarthur may be worth a second round pick at best. Packageing these players may get us a late first rounder from a team trying to squeeze into the playoffs or a decent depth player. Fanson has played well of late and continues to build confidence. I wouldnt move a 6'4 offensive minded d man that is starting to find his grove.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeCheeseAllDay View Post
But then where would O'Reilly fit?

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JvR - Kadri - Frattin
Komarov - Grabovski - Kulemin
McLaren - McClement - Orr
-Brown
He would jump above the players he's better than.. So basically #1.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:50 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

i you get a #1 or 2 center like ROR then either bozak or grabovsky has to go
keeping bozak would be more economically feasible

lupul ROR kessel
jvr kadri frattin
komarov bozak kulemin

Old
02-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
i you get a #1 or 2 center like ROR then either bozak or grabovsky has to go
keeping bozak would be more economically feasible

lupul ROR kessel
jvr kadri frattin
komarov bozak kulemin
Nobody wants Grabovski with the contract he has.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:54 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post

So, again, I'd worry that O'Reilly has looked good on a team similar to the situation that Stajan looked good on the Leafs.
Yea, I know what youre saying.

But I think given his defensive game, at worst, you get one of the best 3rd line centres in the league. Stoll, Kelly, Bolland, Staal, etc all played very important roles for their respective SC winning teams.

And then you have a decent shot at getting a Bergeron type of player. Great defensively and able to put up 65-75 pts.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:59 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
He's not making $9 million a year for the next 10 years, and he's not Scott Gomez.

55 pt 2nd line centre making probably $1m more than he's worth, he's certainly worth something, regardless of whatever makebelief notions of value. There are a number of teams that would be interested not to mention we have the possibility of retaining salary. To a playoff team, the extra $1m a season we could retain could really help drive his value up.

Teams that could use him are teams that lack 2nd line C depth, speed, and scoring ability, teams that need the cap to push the floor, and teams that value contract length like Columbus. I could see Florida making a bid for him with Weiss heading out the door.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:01 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
I do. Its a fair deal

Old
02-12-2013, 11:04 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Yea, I know what youre saying.

But I think given his defensive game, at worst, you get one of the best 3rd line centres in the league. Stoll, Kelly, Bolland, Staal, etc all played very important roles for their respective SC winning teams.

And then you have a decent shot at getting a Bergeron type of player. Great defensively and able to put up 65-75 pts.
He might not put up the same points if he isn't given the same free reign.

But you are correct, he could just be a 3rd. line center, thus my concern about overpaying for him.

Here's a question, why isn't he signed? They don't need him? Sure looks like they do. They don't think he is worth what he is asking? They probably know him better than anyone else. Maybe they are tanking and have their eyes on Jones?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
02-12-2013, 11:05 AM
SteveV*

Before we start dishing D men, keep in mind Kostka is fast becoming marginal NHL material, so nobody should slot him in long term. Kostka is getting worse as the season goes on, the adrenaline is waning and his true flaws apparent, and at this point should really be benched.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Before we start dishing D men, keep in mind Kostka is fast becoming marginal NHL material, so nobody should slot him in long term. Kostka is getting worse as the season goes on, the adrenaline is waning and his true flaws apparent, and at this point should really be benched.
He has not been bad. Stop hating on the guy. He looks good with 18ish mins a night and 2nd PP time

Old
02-12-2013, 11:19 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
While I do agree with this I did like more or what I saw from him last night. He appeared to be shiftier with the puck, making shoulder fakes and creating an extra second for himself to dish the puck.

That said, it's not likely we'll miss him if he's out of the lineup. He doesn't hit (fewer than Liles this year according to NHL.com), and at 6'1" he's not an intimidating presence. We can easily slot Gardiner or Gunnar in there.

The problem will be when we need to insert both Gunnar AND Gardiner - we'll start losing lots of our size and strength on the blue line when that happens.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:21 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
He has not been bad. Stop hating on the guy. He looks good with 18ish mins a night and 2nd PP time
He's terrible, I watched intently last night and he looked like an AHLer. Seriously, I think the guy has had a nice run but he is a marginal NHL talent. At best I see him bottom pairing when dust settles, but most nights a scratch. Holzer and Fraser are earning more minutes, ditto for Franson and Liles is simply a better D. When Jake and Gunner slot back in , this guy isn't going to be playing.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:23 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
While I do agree with this I did like more or what I saw from him last night.
Fair enough. It is funny though, I was at the game and myself and others in the crowd were continually groaning at his boneheaded plays, so I guess it's all in the eye. A couple of those cute little soft passes should have ended up in goals, dreadful decision making. Anyways, just my opinion, but reality is returning with the AHL wonderboy.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:27 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
He's terrible, I watched intently last night and he looked like an AHLer. Seriously, I think the guy has had a nice run but he is a marginal NHL talent. At best I see him bottom pairing when dust settles, but most nights a scratch. Holzer and Fraser are earning more minutes, ditto for Franson and Liles is simply a better D. When Jake and Gunner slot back in , this guy isn't going to be playing.
Holzer is starting to look like the AHL player he is ... and I mean that in a good way.

He's starting to be able to play the same way and looks like he can do in the NHL what he can do in the AHL.

In the AHL I thought he physically could command his space, and I'm seeing him do that in the NHL.

IMO he can play either 1st. or 2nd. pairing in the NHL, and I think he'd be great for Phaneuf.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:27 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Liles a better D? Have I been watching a different player? Cause he has been brutal in his own end, and disappointing in the other teams. For a guy making 3.8 million he has a LOT of work to do before you can say he is better then anyone on our D. Hell he'd probably even suck on the Marlies.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Christ

Quote:
While I agree that he has not been "bad" he is not exactly "good" either. He is the weakest link on the Leaf's blueline and when Gunnar/Gardiner come back, he is the one I would expect to see removed from the line up.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:29 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Holzer is starting to look like the AHL player he is ... and I mean that in a good way.

He's starting to be able to play the same way and looks like he can do in the NHL what he can do in the AHL.

In the AHL I thought he physically could command his space, and I'm seeing him do that in the NHL.

IMO he can play either 1st. or 2nd. pairing in the NHL, and I think he'd be great for Phaneuf.
I think Carlyle agrees. He's started playing them together.

I've been impressed with him.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:29 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Fair enough. It is funny though, I was at the game and myself and others in the crowd were continually groaning at his boneheaded plays, so I guess it's all in the eye. A couple of those cute little soft passes should have ended up in goals, dreadful decision making. Anyways, just my opinion, but reality is returning with the AHL wonderboy.
Perhaps with time he'll be able to make those decisions quicker and not lose the opportunity. He is just a rookie.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:33 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
While I agree that he has not been "bad" he is not exactly "good" either. He is the weakest link on the Leaf's blueline and when Gunnar/Gardiner come back, he is the one I would expect to see removed from the line up.
The way I see it:

Holzer-Phaneuf
Gards-Franson
Gunnar-Komi
Frasor

Old
02-12-2013, 11:34 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Liles a better D? Have I been watching a different player? Cause he has been brutal in his own end, and disappointing in the other teams. For a guy making 3.8 million he has a LOT of work to do before you can say he is better then anyone on our D. Hell he'd probably even suck on the Marlies.
No, no, you're right, the career AHLer is better than a guy who's played 600 NHL games and has 300 points, my bad. Liles is finding his game again, he's established and fact is Kostka should never have been given top pairing, top PP minutes because he looked good in the JOKE that training camp was. I'm not saying Liles is all world, but come on, he's a proven commodity, so I don't get hung up on a bad patch at the beginning of a weird season.

There is no other team, wherein at career AHLer not only makes an NHL team but is GIVEN top pairing minutes, TOP PP. Name me one other scenario that is similar to this, because I've never seen it and I think it really a testament to the short camp that favoured guys who had played, rather than real skill level. Kostka is coming back to earth, and from what I saw last night, this is a guy who will fizzle the tougher the slogging gets as we come down the stretch. Just my opinion, hope I'm wrong.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:36 AM
SteveV*

Quote:

He doesn't even resemble the guy who played his first two games. My big question with him is his ability to handle NHL speed, I must say he's making a believer out of me, he cuts off the ice quite well and he's fantastic behind the net isolating players.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:42 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
He doesn't even resemble the guy who played his first two games. My big question with him is his ability to handle NHL speed, I must say he's making a believer out of me, he cuts off the ice quite well and he's fantastic behind the net isolating players.
I'm glad Carlyle overlooked the nerves on the first game. He also had some bad luck on one play where he just hopped off the bench and the puck was in his feet. I think they may have been scored against, but really the players leaving the ice almost suicided him on that play. It was a poor line change he got burned by.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:50 PM
caribouPINE

Heard a little interesting tidbit from the radio yesterday.

Shawn Simpson is now on the Team1200 all the time. He was a former Maple Leafs scout during the JFJ years. He is extremely candid and throws out some random Leaf nuggets from his tenure there.

Anyways, he jokes about why he's on the radio now. Said he was a big proponent of the Rask for Raycroft deal. Well yesterday they were discussing how good and surprising the NJ Devils are this year and once again he threw out an interesting piece. And I'm paraphrashing here, 'Clarkson is another reason why I'm on radio now.... when I was part of the Leafs organization and we traded Ken Klee to NJ, the Leafs got to pick from Suglobov or Clarkson and I chose Suglobov.'

Dang. Nothing earth shattering but thought it was worth sharing.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:51 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
He's a bottom pair NHL guy, and shouldn't be playing any PP time, that said, I would rather have more physical players on our bottom pairing...

My ideal Line-up with everyone healthy...

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Komarov - Grabo - Kule
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
McLaren - McClement - Orr

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Liles - Franson
Gunnarson - Holzer
Fraser

Reims
Scrivens

Old
02-12-2013, 01:54 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post

Anyways, he jokes about why he's on the radio now. Said he was a big proponent of the Rask for Raycroft deal. Well yesterday they were discussing how good and surprising the NJ Devils are this year and once again he threw out an interesting piece. And I'm paraphrashing here, 'Clarkson is another reason why I'm on radio now.... when I was part of the Leafs organization and we traded Ken Klee to NJ, the Leafs got to pick from Suglobov or Clarkson and I chose Suglobov.'
... Sounds like an honest/funny guy... But I'm glad he's no longer employed by the Leafs lol.

To be fair, Clarkson was a bit of a project and required a lot of development, who knows how he would have turned out here.

Closed Thread