HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

playmaker vs goalscorer

View Poll Results: goalscorer vs playmaker
playmaker 36 59.02%
goalscorer 25 40.98%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2013, 10:26 AM
  #1
marty 4 hart*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 612
vCash: 500
playmaker vs goalscorer

Who would you rather have on your team? A great playmaker who i a below average goalscorer. Or a great goalscorer who is a below average playmaker.

marty 4 hart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:32 AM
  #2
Anth93
Registered User
 
Anth93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,680
vCash: 500
Playmaker.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:42 AM
  #3
sansabri
typical poster.
 
sansabri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montréal, QC
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 500
always the playmaker. great playmakers always finish with more points than great goal scorers.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:47 AM
  #4
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,441
vCash: 500
playmaker. Playmakers make players around them better more often then a sniper can.

Also, more often then not, a playmaker's shot is underrated compared to a snipers passing being underrated.

Often,a playmaker(say spezza) could score a lot more if they just decided to shoot.

A sniper, on the other hand, can't start racking up assists because they feel like it. Atleast not as easily as the playmaker who starts shooting more.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:47 AM
  #5
Fuelled by Passion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 562
vCash: 500
Depends on my team

Fuelled by Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:58 AM
  #6
Love
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,996
vCash: 500
I feel like theres wayyy too many variables to be able to answer this question

Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:03 AM
  #7
Kresnik
Registered User
 
Kresnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 446
vCash: 500
Goalscorer are often underrated because 100% of their goals is thanks to them while a playmaker can stack point even when they are not that involved in the goal. I mean, 60goals is sick while 60assist is very good.

A player with 40goals 40assist or a player with 25-65, how can you say that the player with more assist has actually been more involved in the actually goal then the goalscorer?

I think goals should be more valued then assists in general.

Kresnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:20 AM
  #8
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oulu
Posts: 8,732
vCash: 50
Not sure what we area comparing here.

Goalscorer like Peter Bondra who could basically ONLY score goals or a goal scorer like Bure who was elite at scoring goals but could do something besides that VS.

Not really sure who would be the equivalent playmaker to Bondra is goalscorer. Thing is that an elite playmaker usually is elite player offensively but elite goalscorer might be just that. Elite goal scorer.

If the two player were are comparing here are Selanne in his prime vs H. Sedin in his prime i would take Selanne.

If the comparison is Bondra in his prime vs. Joe Thornton in his i take Jumbo Joe.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:20 AM
  #9
Love
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kresnik View Post
Goalscorer are often underrated because 100% of their goals is thanks to them while a playmaker can stack point even when they are not that involved in the goal. I mean, 60goals is sick while 60assist is very good.

A player with 40goals 40assist or a player with 25-65, how can you say that the player with more assist has actually been more involved in the actually goal then the goalscorer?

I think goals should be more valued then assists in general.
Agree

Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:22 AM
  #10
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,116
vCash: 500
goal scorer easily, goal scorers are much harder to find

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:24 AM
  #11
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
If the comparison is Bondra in his prime vs. Joe Thornton in his i take Jumbo Joe.
thats a stupid comparision because thornton is way better than bondra.

a better example would be gartner vs. thornton

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:30 AM
  #12
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,029
vCash: 50
Sam Gagner vs David Clarkson
David Desharnais vs Milan Michalek
Joffrey Lupul vs Alex Ovechkin (last season)

I take the goal scorer.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:31 AM
  #13
sansabri
typical poster.
 
sansabri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montréal, QC
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 500
you don't need great goal scorers when you have great playmakers.

Gretzky, Lemieux... etc,. made average players into 40-50 goal men.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:31 AM
  #14
Dangler99*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,303
vCash: 500
Goal scorers.

Dangler99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:34 AM
  #15
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oulu
Posts: 8,732
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
thats a stupid comparision because thornton is way better than bondra.

a better example would be gartner vs. thornton
Not really. I was actually going for the idea that no playmaker can be as one dimensional as some elite scorers are.

BTW, i don't think i would ever even try to play with the idea that Gartner was near Joe. He was effectively Bondra with longer prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
you don't need great goal scorers when you have great playmakers.

Gretzky, Lemieux... etc,. made average players into 40-50 goal men.
Well, not really a fair comparison since those two are elite goal scorers too.

Maybe Oates vs. Hull?

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:35 AM
  #16
jigglysquishy
Registered User
 
jigglysquishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,377
vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
thats a stupid comparision because thornton is way better than bondra.

a better example would be gartner vs. thornton
Still would take Thornton every day of the week.


Playmakers make the people around them better. So a playmaker's impact to the team is almost always larger.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:38 AM
  #17
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
thats a stupid comparision because thornton is way better than bondra.

a better example would be gartner vs. thornton
lol they scored at pretty much the same pace. For you to go out of your way to correct it is funny.

Bondra had 503 goals in 1081 games...or 0.47(in slightly lower scoring era)
Gartner had 708 goals in 1432 games...or 0.49 (in slightly higher scoring era)
Basically equalling the same scoring ability.

There was no nead what so ever for you to go:

"NO what a dumb comparison...thornton is way better then bondra...gartner on the other hand was a way better scorer then bondra making the comparison better!"

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:38 AM
  #18
sansabri
typical poster.
 
sansabri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montréal, QC
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Well, not really a fair comparison since those two are elite goal scorers too.

Maybe Oates vs. Hull?
except it wasn't their goal scoring that made their teammates play way above expectations.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:39 AM
  #19
Dangler99*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,303
vCash: 500
Look at H.Sedin. The guy usued to score 10 goals a year with like 60 assists. Thats horrible.

Dangler99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:42 AM
  #20
Tuomaz
Registered User
 
Tuomaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Cape Verde
Posts: 4,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
you don't need great goal scorers when you have great playmakers.

Gretzky, Lemieux... etc,. made average players into 40-50 goal men.
Who were the average players Gretzky played with`?

Tuomaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:42 AM
  #21
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oulu
Posts: 8,732
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
except it wasn't their goal scoring that made their teammates play way above expectations.
no it wasn't but they still don't match the OP criteria.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:44 AM
  #22
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,441
vCash: 500
I like the oates vs hull argument.

In the 90s, i always thought of hull as the purest one-dimensional scorer, and as oates as the purest one-dimensional playmaker. That being said, i think hull was slightly better then oates...making me want to choose the playmaker less in this situation.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:45 AM
  #23
Dangler99*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,303
vCash: 500
Hull scored 86 goals. Oates assists are nice but 86 goals?

Dangler99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:46 AM
  #24
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 4,287
vCash: 500
Playmaker, the Leafs have a lot of finishers but not a lot of playmakers. In fact our best playmaker (Kessel) would be scoring way more if he had a good playmaker to go with him.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:47 AM
  #25
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,149
vCash: 500
Playmaker for me

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.