HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2013, 11:54 AM
  #451
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing
 
Reclamation Project's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 20,698
vCash: 500
No way should Gagne go. I've been a fan of his for years and he currently has 5 assists. He's getting better every game IMO. I just don't see Dean making that move.

Reclamation Project is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 11:55 AM
  #452
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I agree. He should be getting his call ups (cup of tea's at least) by then. I have watched him play allot more in person this season then last and he is developing at a much faster rate then he had up to this point.

I think he is about half way there today (to being NHL ready) but he is now picking up the rate at which he progresses and I think it is fair to see he will be ready a little sooner than later.

BerniernextRoy. I would have agreed with you at the start of last season but he has come a long way to get to where he is this season. During a recent game against Wisconson DF made several nice moves with perfect cool level headed play in front of his own net for example, he wouldn't have been able to do this past season. His skating has improved significantly (he has always been a pretty good skater) and his play in the corners has improved to where he showed signs of exceptional skill.

He still has a ways to go but he really has come a very long way from last season to this season and if he can continue developing at the same rate 15/16 seems about right to me.
If he's 2.5 years away now (2015-2016) then at the start of last season he was four years away

kingsfan is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 12:25 PM
  #453
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
If he's 2.5 years away now (2015-2016) then at the start of last season he was four years away
Yup Bingo!




Forbort has been an interesting prospect for me. He doesn't play big mans hockey and with his size you want him to when you watch him play. That said he does play a pretty good physical game, just not as effectively as you think he should. He skates really well but due to his size it looks like he isn't really turning on the jets, he just seems to get where he needs to be in the right amount of time to get there.

He uses his reach effectively but since he plays well positionally he doesn't rely on it and when watching him it makes you wonder why he does use his reach so often.

He is doing everything right and like I said, I think he has taken one big step forward in his development but I still wonder what type of D man he will become in the NHL. Big mobil stay at home dman who can jimp in from time to time ala WM? Hybrid two way? PMD with size?

Still too early to tell.

Happy to have him but he is still somewhat enigmatic to me.

etherialone is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 12:35 PM
  #454
Vino
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Forbort has been an interesting prospect for me.
What is your personal opinion, where he should play next year? Manchester or North Dakota?

Vino is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 12:47 PM
  #455
Whiskeypete
Registered User
 
Whiskeypete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: stuck in the middle
Country: United States
Posts: 2,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Yup Bingo!




Forbort has been an interesting prospect for me. He doesn't play big mans hockey and with his size you want him to when you watch him play. That said he does play a pretty good physical game, just not as effectively as you think he should. He skates really well but due to his size it looks like he isn't really turning on the jets, he just seems to get where he needs to be in the right amount of time to get there.

He uses his reach effectively but since he plays well positionally he doesn't rely on it and when watching him it makes you wonder why he does use his reach so often.

He is doing everything right and like I said, I think he has taken one big step forward in his development but I still wonder what type of D man he will become in the NHL. Big mobil stay at home dman who can jimp in from time to time ala WM? Hybrid two way? PMD with size?

Still too early to tell.

Happy to have him but he is still somewhat enigmatic to me.
he is a big lanky kid. it's taken time for him to grow into that body. to me his game is improving because of-
*his comfort level-compete continues to improve with time
*like every kid he has most likely gained weight and strength
*his skating, reads and gap control improves due to the above two
*this results in him being able to play a bit more aggressive than years past

the past seasons the games ive seen, he had a 'deer in headlights' type of approach many times. you could sense he was playing back on his heels and man a bit, he played overly cautious in an attempt to not get beat. that lead imo to many opportunities for the other team to take advantage of some extra room to work.

this season he his playing tighter and willing to take space from an opponent. his game this season is completely different to me.

it wont surprise me if at some point we see him play more physically and use his size to his advantage. he takes his time to learn and adapt it seems to a new level. hopefully his adaptation at the next level will continue to rapidly move forward. i know there will likely be some growing pains at MAN as he adapts to the skill, speed and size at the AHL level.

when he appears will revolve around next season. does he return to UND for his senior season. if he doesn't i think we see him in LA for a test run during the 2014-15 season. if he doesn't take a step back and continues to improve at his current rate, i don't this is a stretch for him. if he returns to UND, then yes i agree with 2015-16.

still waiting for my fellow Congdon Park and Duluth East kid to make the big club....

Whiskeypete is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 12:49 PM
  #456
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino View Post
What is your personal opinion, where he should play next year? Manchester or North Dakota?
I keep asking myself this same question.

He is capable of playing either league but which would be best for his development? I guess I lean towards him finishing at ND and then getting a few games in with MCH and hopefully through the AHL playoffs.

But maybe and this is pure speculation maybe he has progressed slowly (until this season) or at least in part due to the fact that he has played up to the level of competition that he faces.

Forbort looks good where he is but he isn't the best D in the NCAA or even in the top ten imo. Now that doesn't mean he isn't great but with all of the tools that he has he should be consistently one of the top ten dman in his league.

I think this next season is going to be a big one for DF's overall development. Most of the time it is pretty easy to decide where a prospect should be playing but every now and then one of them goes like DF.

I have faith that MF and DL will make the right call here. If I had to choose one place over the other I would leave him where he is and like I said, at the end of the season would move him to MCH and go from there.

etherialone is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 12:50 PM
  #457
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
he is a big lanky kid. it's taken time for him to grow into that body. to me his game is improving because of-
*his comfort level-compete continues to improve with time
*like every kid he has most likely gained weight and strength
*his skating, reads and gap control improves due to the above two
*this results in him being able to play a bit more aggressive than years past

the past seasons the games ive seen, he had a 'deer in headlights' type of approach many times. you could sense he was playing back on his heels and man a bit, he played overly cautious in an attempt to not get beat. that lead imo to many opportunities for the other team to take advantage of some extra room to work.

this season he his playing tighter and willing to take space from an opponent. his game this season is completely different to me.

it wont surprise me if at some point we see him play more physically and use his size to his advantage. he takes his time to learn and adapt it seems to a new level. hopefully his adaptation at the next level will continue to rapidly move forward. i know there will likely be some growing pains at MAN as he adapts to the skill, speed and size at the AHL level.

when he appears will revolve around next season. does he return to UND for his senior season. if he doesn't i think we see him in LA for a test run during the 2014-15 season. if he doesn't take a step back and continues to improve at his current rate, i don't this is a stretch for him. if he returns to UND, then yes i agree with 2015-16.

still waiting for my fellow Congdon Park and Duluth East kid to make the big club....
Have you seen his kid brother David play? He is looking very good in Duluth East.

I think we are seeing pretty much the same thing with DF.

etherialone is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 12:51 PM
  #458
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino View Post
What is your personal opinion, where he should play next year? Manchester or North Dakota?
I know this isn't directed at me, but I'll chime in anyways. I think he should stay at North Dakota next year for a few reasons. Firstly, I think it'd do him some good to be a senior and (hopefully) dominate the college ranks. He's gotten better every year, and it does a prospect a lot of good sometimes to just be the elite guy in the team/league for a year. Great confidence booster and odds are he'll be the number one D-man and go to guy on the blueline, which is huge.

Secondly, next year we have what could be a crowded blueline in Manchester. Odds are Deslauriers and Kotomatis will be back, as could Campbell. Colin Miller will also be graduating and so could Alex Roach (I'm not sure if he has another year left or not in junior). Given that that could be a very young blueline, you got to figure the Kings will bring back a guy like Bodnarchuk or another veteran presence rather than role with three pro rookies. If they do decide to roll with another rookie, I think Kevin Gravel would make a better pro ready option that Forbort personally as I think he'd benefit better from going pro than Forbort next year.

kingsfan is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 12:55 PM
  #459
JT8888
Registered User
 
JT8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,115
vCash: 500
All I hope is both Nolan and Clifford aren't used in any trade.... Please thanks

JT8888 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 12:58 PM
  #460
Whiskeypete
Registered User
 
Whiskeypete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: stuck in the middle
Country: United States
Posts: 2,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Have you seen his kid brother David play? He is looking very good in Duluth East.

I think we are seeing pretty much the same thing with DF.
no i haven't. moved out of there ages ago and only been back twice since then. i still have a friend from the old neighborhood living up there and get some news. otherwise it is just what i find online. now it's down to crunch time, the MN state tournament. last i saw the Hounds are ranked #3 in state, so should have a very good shot at the title

Whiskeypete is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 12:59 PM
  #461
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 32,330
vCash: 500
You guys think Forbort's development may stall if he spends another year at ND? I think he's reached his peak at that level and has to take that next step of learning to play and condition at a pro level, which he could achieve in Manchester.

I'm hoping this will be his last year with the Sioux.

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:07 PM
  #462
Whiskeypete
Registered User
 
Whiskeypete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: stuck in the middle
Country: United States
Posts: 2,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
You guys think Forbort's development may stall if he spends another year at ND? I think he's reached his peak at that level and has to take that next step of learning to play and condition at a pro level, which he could achieve in Manchester.

I'm hoping this will be his last year with the Sioux.
it's hard to say. i do like KF's point though about staying in ND and becoming the #1. i think it is a very important step in every players development when it comes to maturation. to learn how handle the pressure and leadership that comes with that responsibility.

it could give him a year to 'lead by example' and also to keep refining his physical play.

Whiskeypete is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:07 PM
  #463
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I know this isn't directed at me, but I'll chime in anyways. I think he should stay at North Dakota next year for a few reasons. Firstly, I think it'd do him some good to be a senior and (hopefully) dominate the college ranks. He's gotten better every year, and it does a prospect a lot of good sometimes to just be the elite guy in the team/league for a year. Great confidence booster and odds are he'll be the number one D-man and go to guy on the blueline, which is huge.

Secondly, next year we have what could be a crowded blueline in Manchester. Odds are Deslauriers and Kotomatis will be back, as could Campbell. Colin Miller will also be graduating and so could Alex Roach (I'm not sure if he has another year left or not in junior). Given that that could be a very young blueline, you got to figure the Kings will bring back a guy like Bodnarchuk or another veteran presence rather than role with three pro rookies. If they do decide to roll with another rookie, I think Kevin Gravel would make a better pro ready option that Forbort personally as I think he'd benefit better from going pro than Forbort next year.
Wow, tons to agree with here.

I am waiting to hear back from his coach before I post my last three weeks in ND (and MN) watching NCAA prospects but I will say here that Gravel looks like he might just be a true stud SAH NHL dman in short time.

I could see him make the jump with little time in MCH. I think the only real challenges that KG will face in making the jump to the NHL will be speed of game (every kid goes through that) and developing a bit more O reaction time.

Other than that every time I see him play (I only watched him play in two games in person during this trip but have been following him on tape) I keep getting more and more excited with his decision making and smart stay at home play. To put it short (shocking from me) the kid is nails and does everything so well that at times he looks to be NHL ready today.

He may be two seasons away but I like this kids chances of making the jump.

I hadn't considered at all what we are going to look like in MCH so great points there. Roach is easily ready to make the jump to MCH and I think he will be a priority spot for the Monarchs next season. I haven't spent enough time watching Miller, what I have seen looks good but I really can't give an informed opinion.

I have heard all season long from lots of people that Bodnarchuk is a kind of coveted kid. I like his game but coveted? I think he plays a similar game to so many kids that I haven't seen him as being anything too special but I felt the same way about Peter Harrold and say what we want about him he has had a very successful NHL career. He just keeps sticking around.

It is going to be an interesting off season for our kid D prospects (if we don't have every one of them in the NHL covering for an injured player by then). Nice problem to have.

etherialone is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:11 PM
  #464
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
You guys think Forbort's development may stall if he spends another year at ND? I think he's reached his peak at that level and has to take that next step of learning to play and condition at a pro level, which he could achieve in Manchester.

I'm hoping this will be his last year with the Sioux.
You could be right but after watching him I think it could go either way. With the way he has progressed this season I don't think being in ND is holding him back but who knows? I lean towards leaving him there since I don't see him as being NHL ready for another couple of seasons but I don't think it would be an awful decision if he ended up in MCH. He is going to need the time either way and maybe challenging him at the next level sooner rather than later could help speed up the process. I like him in ND next season but I don't think the wrong call could be made in so far as his overall development goes.

etherialone is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:11 PM
  #465
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 16,026
vCash: 500
A lot to like regarding the way the prospects on the blueline are layered. They are coming in waves, one right after the other. The Kings only need about 1/3 of these guys to pan out and they will be fine at the NHL level.

KINGS17 is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:15 PM
  #466
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
no i haven't. moved out of there ages ago and only been back twice since then. i still have a friend from the old neighborhood living up there and get some news. otherwise it is just what i find online. now it's down to crunch time, the MN state tournament. last i saw the Hounds are ranked #3 in state, so should have a very good shot at the title
I have a buddy who covers the tournament and am jealous this year. So many great young talented kids and I don't think that there is one team that is completely better than the other. I think that there are a couple of kids that might be truly elite prospects that are going to play in that tournament.

DFjr needs to grow but his hands are exceptional. He had a hat trick during the game that I saw and looked like he could have had 3 more if he had someone to feed him the puck. Really nice skater. Not one of the truly elite but a really good player.

etherialone is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:18 PM
  #467
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
it could give him a year to 'lead by example' and also to keep refining his physical play.
I agree. We didn't draft Forbort to be a third pairing guy, he's going to be expected to be a core part of our defense, so gaining the understanding of what it's like to be the go to guy is huge. The mental development that kind of pressure can foster can out do any conditioning development he'd get by playing a full pro season. Not to mention he'll have to play a full pro season anyways in manchester no matter when he comes out, but odds are he won't be labelled a go to guy down there. I expect he'll have a rough year in manchester his first year, similar to what Deslaurier went through. The Kings system isn't very kind to rookie defensemen. We haven't pushed anyone through without at least two years in the minors other than Drew Doughty, and in almost all cases that first year was a rough one. Even Voynov was only 'ok' that first year from what i gathered (granted he was only I think 19, so a different level of expectations).

kingsfan is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:18 PM
  #468
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
A lot to like regarding the way the prospects on the blueline are layered. They are coming in waves, one right after the other. The Kings only need about 1/3 of these guys to pan out and they will be fine at the NHL level.
Absolutely right and to me it looks like we should see even more than 1/3 of them make it so we are doing great down there.

I am still shocked at how great a job Futa and co are doing on selecting D for the system. I mean look at the kids this year who are or have played in the NHL and the numbers start getting pretty heady.

Keep the waves rolling!

etherialone is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:20 PM
  #469
Fat Elvis
Registered User
 
Fat Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Money Pit
Country: United States
Posts: 5,315
vCash: 500
Out of the D prospects, who would you say has the highest offensive ceiling? I see the defensive D's are maturing right along, but haven't read much about the possible PMD's and PP quarterbacks in the organIzation.

Fat Elvis is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:20 PM
  #470
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
A lot to like regarding the way the prospects on the blueline are layered. They are coming in waves, one right after the other. The Kings only need about 1/3 of these guys to pan out and they will be fine at the NHL level.
My only concern is DL not making room or moving these guys in time to maximize value. Hickey and Loktionov being examples.

kingsfan is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:22 PM
  #471
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Out of the D prospects, who would you say has the highest offensive ceiling? I see the defensive D's are maturing right along, but haven't read much about the possible PMD's and PP quarterbacks in the organIzation.
Yes easy answer is Deslaurier, but I think Paul LaDue could be a real gem of a find for us. He's years away (like 3-4 from even reaching Manchester) but I really like what I have heard and read on him.

kingsfan is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:24 PM
  #472
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 32,330
vCash: 500
I know Herby is going to like this one: Ryan Smyth a healthy scratch for the Oilers.

@dantencer: Oilers PR staff informs media: "Ryan Smyth has respectfully asked not to speak to the media today..."

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:27 PM
  #473
mbar
Registered User
 
mbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 719
vCash: 500
With Fobert taking so long (by design) to make it to the NHL from his draft date, is there a risk he can walk away from the Kings similar to what Schulz did to the Ducks?

Forgive this ignorant question as I'm not super familiar with the CBA and how this works. On the face of it, it seems like a similar situation to me.

mbar is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:28 PM
  #474
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I know Herby is going to like this one: Ryan Smyth a healthy scratch for the Oilers.

@dantencer: Oilers PR staff informs media: "Ryan Smyth has respectfully asked not to speak to the media today..."
Last time the Oilers scratched him from the line up his press conference didn't go so well:


kingsfan is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:28 PM
  #475
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Out of the D prospects, who would you say has the highest offensive ceiling? I see the defensive D's are maturing right along, but haven't read much about the possible PMD's and PP quarterbacks in the organIzation.
Kingsfan nailed it.

I am still really high on NikD and LaDue looks good down the line. NikD keeps on developing and as his confidence grows he keeps getting better. I like him allot and still believe that he might become a fan favorite kind of player in time.

etherialone is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.