HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The utter nonsense of blaming anyone but Steve Tambellini.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:49 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
You think this team is going to be like pits?

Ah yes. The pens model. Draft 2 generational talents. Fire the GM that sucked and get a good one.

Looks like we have work to do, thanks for enforcing my argument though

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:58 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Even the Penguins haven't done squat since their Cup win. One playoff series victory.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
And is Tamellini better than Lowe? Don't think we better get into Lowes accomplishments.

I Am Liquor would do much better than our present management and I don't even know who he is but judging from his avatar he is no nonsense get it done kind of ... .
We would be in the dark for several decades if that happen.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
You think this team is going to be like pits?

Ah yes. The pens model. Draft 2 generational talents. Fire the GM that sucked and get a good one.

Looks like we have work to do, thanks for enforcing my argument though
You prefer this?

I'm really not sure what you are bleating about. It's now on Tambellini to build a contender. If he can't they'll fire him and give someone else the shot.

Moose Coleman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Even the Penguins haven't done squat since their Cup win. One playoff series victory.
Do you think it's easy to win a cup?

Old
02-12-2013, 12:03 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Do you think it's easy to win a cup?
Of course not. It's the most difficult trophy to win in sports. If anything it shows how hard it is when you have two of the best players in the game and you can't even get out of the first round.

At this point I'd be satisfied finishing between 7th and 11th.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Seriously?

I'll chalk this up to "highly suggestive", because by all accounts, Schlutz has actually been quite good in his role as a defensive defenseman, and the numbers bear that out.

Don't know which Nick Schultz you've been watching.
By all accounts? I watch the guy play rather than 'by all accounts'. A totally stay at home defensive defenceman needs to not make bonehead plays with the puck at all. He hasn't been garbage by any means but he hasn't been the shut down guy people blurted he was.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Of course not. It's the most difficult trophy to win in sports. If anything it shows how hard it is when you have two of the best players in the game and you can't even get out of the first round.

At this point I'd be satisfied finishing between 7th and 11th.
Ah, yes I see.

Yeah I mean, I don't know what the fuss is about. Clearly this team is a few years and pieces away from making any real noise. But there's a good core in place and clear signs of progress. Not sure what people want.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:09 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Not against the signing of ebs and hall obviously, just saying it wasn't any special GMing to give 6 mill for 7 years. No special negotiating.

Yes, I want Hall here but not for much if any more than 6 mil.

Eberle may end up being an over payment. Big bucks for a good year. But for now it is a fair deal.

Any GM should be able to do these deals.

I don't feel this thread is 'how good are Oiler players' but it is 'what has Tambellini done special for the Oilers' and 'what has Tambellini done bad for the Oilers'.

Should we judge in a good way the awesome first pics we got as Tambellini doing good or our reward for him doing bad?

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:09 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Ah, yes I see.

Yeah I mean, I don't know what the fuss is about. Clearly this team is a few years and pieces away from making any real noise. But there's a good core in place and clear signs of progress. Not sure what people want.
Like Narnia has said, Oiler fans don't have the patience for a rebuild. Games like the last one are a little discouraging, but then I think back to the seconds Sharks game and the first game against the Canucks and think that maybe, just maybe, they're making progress.

This is a team in the middle of the pack without their first line going. If Eberle, RNH, and Hall all wake up, we should be in good hands. In the meantime it's great to see Hemsky and Gagner carrying the load with Schultz chipping in on the blueline.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Ah, yes I see.

Clear signs of progress?

Old
02-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Clear signs of progress?
If you think this team is the same team as two, three years ago, you really haven't been watching.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Like Narnia has said, Oiler fans don't have the patience for a rebuild. Games like the last one are a little discouraging, but then I think back to the seconds Sharks game and the first game against the Canucks and think that maybe, just maybe, they're making progress.

This is a team in the middle of the pack without their first line going. If Eberle, RNH, and Hall all wake up, we should be in good hands. In the meantime it's great to see Hemsky and Gagner carrying the load with Schultz chipping in on the blueline.
of course not.

Proof is the PGT whenever the Oilers lose.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Beerfish

Quote:

The team is in the middle of the pack with a goalie playing well over his head. Last year we were something like 9-3 at this point in time with a goalie playing well over his head. Objectively watching the Oilers this year they have played about 3 good games, as in looked good, competent and dangerous. Once the tending goes back to being good if we are lucky rather than terrific and once teams figure out the pp (which it looks like they have) we are going to drop like rock.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:16 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
The team is in the middle of the pack with a goalie playing well over his head. Last year we were something like 9-3 at this point in time with a goalie playing well over his head. Objectively watching the Oilers this year they have played about 3 good games, as in looked good, competent and dangerous. Once the tending goes back to being good if we are lucky rather than terrific and once teams figure out the pp (which it looks like they have) we are going to drop like rock.
But here's the burning question...

What if the goaltending doesn't come back to Earth? People seem to forget that despite the 29th place finish, Dubnyk actually played really well the last couple months of the previous season. Goaltending has to steal you at least some points, but it's not as if the team is going to sleep all season either.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
The team is in the middle of the pack with a goalie playing well over his head. Last year we were something like 9-3 at this point in time with a goalie playing well over his head.
Except Khabi was actually playing over his head. Is there any evidence that Dubnyk's run isn't sustainable? His numbers are good, but not great.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:26 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Nick Schultz trade? I'm not knocking Nick Schultz. Just the fact that there are more Nick Schultz's out there than a Tom Gilbert. Could have got more or at the very best it was a nothing or even trade. Does that somehow make Tambellini a good GM?

Come on, tell me something he has done that is special.

Being patient is an asset? Wow, so if we had no GM wouldn't that be the same?

Fans have been patient for 6 years how much longer does it take to say the management is the problem. 3 more years of rebuilding? 4 years? That would be a decade of suck. Best fans in the league deserve wins or at least a high scoring game. I am tired of the Calgary fans dising me. "We're rebuilding so we don't suck. We lose on purpose to get draft pics." I am running out of BS.

Tambellini is part of the management problem nothing in all of this thread convinces me otherwise. Not the only problem but part of it.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:27 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Well the fact of the matter is we didn't have enough Nick Schultzes and too many Tom Gilberts. Where did Gilbert help us finish? DFL. Twice.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:30 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Nick Schultz trade? I'm not knocking Nick Schultz. Just the fact that there are more Nick Schultz's out there than a Tom Gilbert. Could have got more or at the very best it was a nothing or even trade. Does that somehow make Tambellini a good GM?

Fans have been patient for 6 years how much longer does it take to say the management is the problem. 3 more years of rebuilding? 4 years? That would be a decade of suck. Best fans in the league deserve wins or at least a high scoring game. I am tired of the Calgary fans dising me. "We're rebuilding so we don't suck. We lose on purpose to get draft pics." I am running out of BS.

Tambellini is part of the management problem nothing in all of this thread convinces me otherwise. Not the only problem but part of it.
Who?

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:

Honest question: what is your expectation? Say Tambo and the whole front office get their walking papers: what does the new regime do that you think would turn this team around overnight?

Old
02-12-2013, 12:32 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Quote:
If you think this team is the same team as two, three years ago, you really haven't been watching.
This team at this point can be better than years ago but are not much better. Having some great players doesn't win games. Having a good team wins games. That is GMing. Maybe trading an awesome player for a couple of good players might make sense, I don't know, not a GM (but doing next to nothing is not being a good GM either).

Crosby and Malkin don't make a cup winner, bunch of good players like LA or Boston, that can win cups. Pittsburgh as a team can win cups, Ovechkin can't win cups and he has been great in the past.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:36 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
This team at this point can be better than years ago but are not much better. Having some great players doesn't win games. Having a good team wins games. That is GMing. Maybe trading an awesome player for a couple of good players might make sense, I don't know, not a GM (but doing next to nothing is not being a good GM either).

Crosby and Malkin don't make a cup winner, bunch of good players like LA or Boston, that can win cups.
Malkin was the MVP... And Crosby was the #2 playoff scorer that year behind Malkin. They combined for a ridiculous 64 points. I'd say they both played a pretty damn big role.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:

Crosby and Malkin don't make a cup winner, bunch of good players like LA or Boston, that can win cups.
It's a question of timing. We're three years into the rebuild. The key pieces of our core are all under 23 years of age. Two of them are still teenagers. Is it reasonable to try and make a bunch of moves now when your core is still learning how to shave?

Old
02-12-2013, 12:46 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Quote:
Honest question: what is your expectation? Say Tambo and the whole front office get their walking papers: what does the new regime do that you think would turn this team around overnight?
Don't have the answer to that. Not likely a mass firing for sure, one will get the blame. Mass firings would most likely put us deeper into the rebuild mode. Heaven forbid the ownership starts to run the show, that may be even more scary. Come to think of it, we are one of the worst teams, maybe it wouldn't hurt to fire a pile. Now would be the time to do it (or should have got rid of Lowe way back).

I am an Oiler fan and will continue to be an Oiler fan even with any rebuilding, failures, changes, buildings. Not a coach, not a GM, not the owner, not a player. Just don't much like the games I have watched for many years. This year I am trying to stay pumped for games but it is hard.

Go Oilers Go! Dallas would be a good start.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Who?
Golden question, which nobody will admit that they have no idea.