HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke Thread - March 2013

Old
02-12-2013, 09:53 AM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

vCash: 500
Only thing missing from this thread is DO's "Highest paid GM in history" rant.

Have to be happy with the Leafs results so far and everything points to this still being a Burke built team so he deserves plenty of credit.

I have no doubt that if the Leafs were playing terrible hockey and dropping fast the same posters trying to deflect the credit for Burke would be pointing out the terrible job Burke had done and blaming him completely for the mess. It's ok though. Most of us are used to your double standards and should the team falter, you'll be back in no time to remind everyone how this is Burke's team.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
Burke's "ME first" type personality and ego do not fit into the current "brotherhood" mentality that is going on, driving the Leaf's early success. Burke was the complete opposite of selfless.

It's very nice to see the media is more focused on hockey and the team now, rather than some big-shot general manager who doesn't even play, but makes sure he is center of the room.

Burke was under the belief that he was bigger than the team, which as it turned out was quite delusional. People saw mistakes, and he saw: "it's okay -- I am Brian Burke, I won a Stanley Cup, I do tons of charity, etc."

His firing was a genius move, really. I love this ownership.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:51 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 5 - 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Burke's "ME first" type personality and ego do not fit into the current "brotherhood" mentality that is going on, driving the Leaf's early success. Burke was the complete opposite of selfless.

It's very nice to see the media is more focused on hockey and the team now, rather than some big-shot general manager who doesn't even play, but makes sure he is center of the room.

Burke was under the belief that he was bigger than the team, which as it turned out was quite delusional. People saw mistakes, and he saw: "it's okay -- I am Brian Burke, I won a Stanley Cup, I do tons of charity, etc."

His firing was a genius move, really. I love this ownership.
I guess it's perspective but I saw Burke as taking the heat on himself to protect the Team as they developed. He was the definition of "selfless".

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:54 AM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
I guess it's perspective but I saw Burke as taking the heat on himself to protect the Team as they developed. He was the definition of "selfless".

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:57 AM
DaveT83*

I would just like to remind everyone that we missed the playoffs for 8 years.
We've been a bottom 10 team the last 4
We've been a bottom 5 team twice.

Obviously due to the way the draft is regulated in the NHL (rewarded for losing) we should have a ton of elite talent all making significant contributions to the big club. We still don't.

Its like saying that Tambellini is the best GM ever because of his draft record

Old
02-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Stephen

Quote:
And in a lot of ways, martyring yourself so dramatically in front of the 'circling vultures' that is the media is unnecessary.

If he had simply blended in with the wallpaper, done a better job faster, or at least not been so bombastic in his ways, I think he personally would have gotten a lot more leeway to build in peace, and his team would have been afforded more patience...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:00 AM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Isn't there a smilie with a dead horse being beaten....trying to find it...

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:00 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Yeah, it could be "brotherhood" that's stirring the drink. Or maybe, you know, .929% goaltending. Definitely one of the two.

Quote:

His firing was a genius move, really.
If you can get behind firing someone over their personality, I'd suggest staying away from business.

Quote:
I love this ownership.
Ick.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:01 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 5 - 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
And in a lot of ways, martyring yourself so dramatically in front of the 'circling vultures' that is the media is unnecessary.

If he had simply blended in with the wallpaper, done a better job faster, or at least not been so bombastic in his ways, I think he personally would have gotten a lot more leeway to build in peace, and his team would have been afforded more patience...
You're probably right there. Really smart hockey man but his own worse enemy.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:06 AM
DaveT83*

Quote:

Burke set the expectations himself - then couldn't deliver - This fanbase was primed for a proper rebuild. Before the CBA was signed he was the most dangerous man in hockey - desperate - finger on the trigger willing to do anything to salvage his reputation. 1sts/Kadri/Frattin/Bozak were all on the move

Thank god he's gone.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:08 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Yeah, it could be "brotherhood" that's stirring the drink. Or maybe, you know, .929% goaltending. Definitely one of the two.

If you can get behind firing someone over their personality, I'd suggest staying away from business.
To be fair, Rogers and Bell are in the media business, so personality isn't a secondary asset of a product.

I think he was fired because they didn't like him and he kept falling short of his goals.

With only one of those he stays, with both he was gone.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:10 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
I would just like to remind everyone that we missed the playoffs for 8 years.
We've been a bottom 10 team the last 4
We've been a bottom 5 team twice.

Obviously due to the way the draft is regulated in the NHL (rewarded for losing) we should have a ton of elite talent all making significant contributions to the big club. We still don't.

Its like saying that Tambellini is the best GM ever because of his draft record
Two problems:

1) Burke wasn't here for 8 years
2) This "elite talent" you speak of comes from the top 1 to 3 picks. We've had one of those and in our case it ended up being the 6th overall scorer in the league.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:13 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Burke set the expectations himself - then couldn't deliver - This fanbase was primed for a proper rebuild. Before the CBA was signed he was the most dangerous man in hockey - desperate - finger on the trigger willing to do anything to salvage his reputation. 1sts/Kadri/Frattin/Bozak were all on the move

Thank god he's gone.
Sure. He goes his whole tenure refusing to move long term pieces for short term pieces and suddenly he's going to change.

There isn't enough straw nor enough windmills to keep you folks occupied.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:36 AM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMoney View Post
True, he did leave behind some good prospects that he drafted, just wish he didn't trade so many picks away. But the Rask trade is a killer, I hate the Bruins lol.
Seriously. It's like a right of passage to get screwed by the Bruins when you become a Leaf GM.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Its very pleasing to Leaf Nation that Bell/Rogers made an early attempt in their ownership legacy, to restore the once proudly Canadian tradition of the Blue and White by addressing the corporate image as a primary mandate upon taking control.

The attention & focus has once again returned to the team on the ice where it should reside, and management falling back, out of the spotlight and away from the controversy which has plagued this organization in its recent past.

02-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 72
He was fired a month ago.... close this thread and worry about how our team is playing, not about our old GM.

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:59 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:

Yep, if only he could have totally changed who he was.... Love it..

What I love most is how most of those who have an issue with Burke cannot separate their personal feelings from the game.

Ps- we still continue to see the same garbage day in and out from the Toronto media, nothing has changed there.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:07 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
There you go looking deeper into events and at the bigger picture again.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:34 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Just checked to see if my assumption was right, that you only post about BB, and for the most part it was.

I never said I was a huge fan. I just found it funny. Carry along.
My first stalker it's a little creepy but i like it .

hotpaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
Quote:
Irrelevant, considering my point.

Quote:
This is nit-picking at it's finest. Brian Burke got fired for more than just his personality, as my post suggested. Part of his problem was avoiding his failures because of who he perceived himself as being.

But if you cannot conceive of what 'corporate-image' means, or the remodeling of a business that typically occurs when there is new ownership, then I would suggest staying away from business. This directly follows from why I love them, by the way.

Quote:
Ick.
Still discussing the failures of general manager who people seem to think did a good job?

Ick, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRamsay View Post
Isn't there a smilie with a dead horse being beaten....trying to find it...
I love this.

Positive comments about Brian Burke = acceptable and okay in a "Brian Burke Thread".

Negative comments about Brian Burke = "beating a dead horse".

Quote:
If by 'protecting' you mean recognizing 'failure', then sure. He was selfless in acknowledging his failure in Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
There you go looking deeper into events and at the bigger picture again.
There are two sides to every story. You are free to choose which one you would like.

I realize that Leaf 'majority' on this forum seem to love Brian Burke and spin his every failure, but suggesting that post is looking "deeper" into events and at the "bigger picture" is laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
What I love most is how most of those who have an issue with Burke cannot separate their personal feelings from the game.
I am honestly not sure if you are serious here. So supporters of Burke do not attach feelings to him?

Last edited by Epictetus: 02-12-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:52 PM
DaveT83*

Epictetus just KO'd the entire room

Old
02-12-2013, 01:04 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 5 - 3

Quote:

If by 'protecting' you mean recognizing 'failure', then sure. He was selfless in acknowledging his failure in Toronto.

If you don't understand what "protecting" means than you have larger issues.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:08 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
If you don't understand what "protecting" means than you have larger issues.
He protected Wilson/Phaneuf/Kessel/Himself

Everyone - and I mean EVERYONE else were blamed for the failures he created.

I vaguely remember a public apology being issued to the fans - that Burke adamantly dismissed.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:28 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
He protected Wilson/Phaneuf/Kessel/Himself

Everyone - and I mean EVERYONE else were blamed for the failures he created.

I vaguely remember a public apology being issued to the fans - that Burke adamantly dismissed.
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...nge-his-focus/

Quote:
The team bought space in Toronto newspapers on Tuesday to publish an open letter to its fans from the highest seat in the organizational flow chart. Larry Tanenbaum, chairman of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, wrote that the organization was “sorry” for the team’s play, but added: “Ownership believes in the plan for the Maple Leafs.”

“We’re all fans, and everyone’s sympathizing with the fans,” said Tom Anselmi, executive vice-president and chief operating officer at MLSE. “We didn’t meet those expectations, and that’s just not right, you know?”

He was asked about ownership’s commitment to winning, despite the team’s obvious profitability even without a playoff appearance.

“Sports is a business, but it’s a business based on emotion and passion and caring,” Anselmi said. “I mean, these fans, they care. They give a sh–. They’re paying after tax dollars. You owe them a great product. And when it’s not good enough, it’s not good enough.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Censored23

In Burke's defense, NO GM could have managed to extricate the Leafs from the mess left behind by JFJ and Fletcher in the time allotted. Burke did everything he could with what he had to work with, and the results are beginning to show.

I find it funny that he was fired because his "attitude" and "style" didnt fit in with their business model, but yet both Bell and Rogers are consistantly voted by people as the WORST companies in Canada when it comes to customer relations. They are a complete joke. I never thought id say this, but i much prefer the OTTP.

Censored23 is online now   Reply With Quote