HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Top 5 prospect pools in the NHL

Old
02-11-2013, 03:21 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I think I'd have taken any of Grigorenko, Forsberg, or Rielly over Reinhart. Still, he's a great prospect.

My top-5 would probably go:

Florida
Minnesota
Ottawa
Anaheim
Edmonton
Reinhart is better than all those players.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:25 PM
SpezDispenser

vCash: 500
It's been Minny, Ottawa and Florida for a calender year now, but I think Ottawa's about to have a whole bunch of graduates. I can't see a scenario where Silfverberg or Zibanejad and possibly Wiercioch ever see the AHL again - and those are 2 of our top 3 prospects.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Noob616

I don't really think you can put Montreal in the top 5 even with Galchenyuk being considered a "prospect". Beaulieu and Tinordi look good, but after that it's a whole lot of question marks. Gallagher is not a sure thing to be anything more than a 3rd line scoring winger (although he could be the second coming of Brian Gionta), Kristo is having a good year in the NCAA but again, not proven as a pro player by any stretch of the imagination. We had a good draft this year, but I don't think our prospect pool can be top 5 when it's so devoid of top end talent now that Galchenyuk should be probably considered a graduate.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I think I'd have taken any of Grigorenko, Forsberg, or Rielly over Reinhart. Still, he's a great prospect.
Forsberg then, because neither of the others would have been Islanders draft picks. It'll be an interesting exercise in a few years - Forsberg vs. Reinhart. We'll add it to the ledger of Garth Snow decisions.

2009: De Haan vs. Kulikov (fail)
2010: Nino vs. Granlund (looking bad)
2011: Strome vs. Hamilton (too early to tell)
2012: Reinhart vs. Forsberg (???)

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:09 PM
shaner89

Its funny the OP put MTL in top 5. Not even close. Gals is the only high end prospect. Collberg is struggling, Beaulieu is horrible, Kristo is a maybe and Tinordi is just trash. Gallagher is good thou, like him alot.

Stl, Minny, Fla are tops imo. NYI, Sens, Ducks follow

shaner89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Maybe top 10, but top 5 is a bit of a stretch.

Galchenyuk, yes.
Collberg, logging 10-15 minutes a game. He is playing against men already though.
Beaulieu, nice offensive-defenseman type prospect but he needs to continue developping. He's maybe 2-3 years away from making the team.
Kristo, I don't see it with Kristo. He has great games but then he is a no-show in others and this is the NCAA we're talking about. If he wants to make the Habs - something he's said he's more than ready for, he'll need to improve drastically to get a sniff.
Tinordi, likely the defensive prospect to get a crack at the roster next year above every other prospect. I'm very high on him.
Leblanc, a bit of a mystery. He was in the NHL last year, this year he is struggling to find his game in the AHL. Then again, every player down in Hamilton is having a hard time, so I wouldn't put too much stock in that. Gallagher wasn't having it so easy either and he's doing great in the NHL.
Gallagher ?

With that said, our prospect pool has no legitimate nhl goaltenders (potential wise). However, I'd say after this upcoming draft, if we keep all 4 top 60 picks we might be top 5 worthy, but right now I agree. Top 10, sure. Top 5, nope.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Pekka Rinne

I think the top 4 is easily Edmonton, Ottawa, Florida and Minny. You can argue the order anyway you want. Montreal doesnt belong in the top 5, probably top 10. I would probably pick one of Washington, St Louis or Anaheim to round out the top 5.

Pekka Rinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:40 PM
flyers28giroux

Florida

Minnesota

Anaheim

Ottawa

NY Islanders

flyers28giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:44 PM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Not top 5 but I think Anaheim should be up there

Peter Holland: great year in Norfolk.
Kyle Palmieri: still kind of a prospect but he's almost locked himself into our top 6. Great scoring skill
Emerson Etem: hasn't hit his scoring stride in the NHL yet but he looks like a pro. Top 9 already
John Gibson: one of the top goalie prospects in the world right now
Rickard Rakell: strong two way player in the OHL. Not far from being an NHL regular.
Hampus Lindholm: arguably Norfolk's best blueliner when healthy. Terrific blueliner in his own zone.
Kevin Roy: NCAA's top scoring rookie. Not far from Johnny Gaudreau in scoring as a freshman.
Sami Vatanen: still adjusting to the North American game but it can't hurt having the first defenseman to be awarded Finlands version of the Norris trophy twice in a row since Kimmo Timmonen can't hurt.
Frederick Andersen: had a bit of a rocky start in Norfolk but now he's a candidate for rookie of the year.
Devante Smith Pelly: the way he has played this year I almost didn't include him. But based on how he played the year before ill say he still has good potential.
William Karlsson: great rookie in the SEL. Top 6 material. Centered Sweden's top line at the WJC.
Nic Kerdiles: decent enough freshman at Wisconsin. Was expecting bigger numbers, but he has good two way play.
Wow, that is impressive to be honest. I had no idea you had guys like Rakell or Karlsson. A lot of risers among your prospects.

The Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:41 PM
DuckJet
Road Rash

vCash: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Reinhart is better than all those players.
Of course he is.
Samuelsson should've gone top 10 that year
Lazar should still be in discussion for top 5, NAY! TOP 3!
Laurent Brossoit is easily a top 5 goaltending prospect
Micheal St. Croix will be the x factor that takes the Rangers to the cup
And Musil is easily a top D prospect

am I doing this right?

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:10 PM
MoreGore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
I would rank it like this:

1. Minnesota Wild: Granlund, Dumba, Brodin, Coyle, Larsson, Phillips.
2. Florida Panthers: Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Shore, Petrovic, Matheson, Grimaldi.
3. Edmonton Oilers: Yakupov, Schultz, Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat, Musil.
4. New York Islanders: Strome, Reinhart, Kabanov, Nelson, Lee, Mayfield.
5. Ottawa Senators: Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Lehner, Noesen, Ceci.

HM: TBL and DET

Reasoning: Top 3 are obvious in my opinion. After it the things are thougher. New York is very very deep, Ottawa has (a lot) high end talent, but not as much depth as others.

Why Montreal out: Well they don't have that much depth (as NYI and TBL) and not as much high end talent as OTT. Collberg as second best prospect isn't good enough for a top5 spot in my opinion (playing 10-15 min in a mens league isn't much for a top prospect even at 18, otherwise the russians playing in the KHL as 18/19 year olds would all be top prospects and not all of them are)
This is basically wrong. The Sens lack super high talent. Yes they have some high end skill, but not like a Yakopov. What they do have is incredible depth, mature depth as well.

The blog Silver Sevens is doing a top 25 under 25 for Ottawa.

On that list of 25 #23 (Daugavins), #21(O'Brien), #18(Boroweicki) , are NHLers.

Soon, Ottawa will have to do a quantity for quality trade to make room for the new comers.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:14 PM
DuckJet
Road Rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I don't know what you mean by 'real good' (Nelson doesn't merit the label, I suppose), but the team has a high volume of 'good' prospects, several of whom are both safe prospects and nearly NHL read(Nelson, Sundstrom, Donovan, and Anders Lee). Frankly, I don't care whether we're top 5 or not. We just need to get the team good and deep and physical enough to be the instrument of John Tavares.

As for the Reinhart claim... Who would you have had the Islanders draft? And please don't say Trouba. Yes, hindsight may dictate that. But very few thought so before the draft.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Trouba, Grigorenko, Lindholm...I'd take all 3 of those guys over Reinhart pretty quickly from what I've seen of the four players.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:57 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Trouba, Grigorenko, Lindholm...I'd take all 3 of those guys over Reinhart pretty quickly from what I' until ve seen of the four players.
People who judge Reinhart by point totals are making a huge mistake....

Kids as calm as can be a nd place very smart with his stick and Body while almost always in the right position....
Not saying that Rielly and/or Trouba wont be better than him, but lets atleast wait until these kids play in the NHL...

I dont see any reason to suggest that any of those players should have been picked before Reinhart or vice versa...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:07 PM
DuckJet
Road Rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
People who judge Reinhart by point totals are making a huge mistake....

Kids as calm as can be a nd place very smart with his stick and Body while almost always in the right position....
Not saying that Rielly and/or Trouba wont be better than him, but lets atleast wait until these kids play in the NHL...

I dont see any reason to suggest that any of those players should have been picked before Reinhart or vice versa...
I'm not basing this on points at all. This is having watched all four players post draft. I just like what Trouba and Lindholm bring more and Grigorenko has been proving me wrong with his play. I don't think Reinhart is bad, I just don't think he's quite as good. Trouba mixes strong physicality, great positioning, and awesome offensive prowess, while Lindholm is quite possibly the strongest defensive prospect I've ever seen the Ducks draft. I wanted to hate the pick, I really did, but in a professional league, one saturated with extra NHL talent, Lindholm was very nearly flawless with his positional play. And I've never described a Ducks prospect that way. He's just been that good. Reinhart is similar in that regard, but he's doing it against boys and he is simply not as good a skater as Hampus. Do I think Reinhart isn't worthy of going top 6-8? No I think he was one of the top prospects, but just behind Yakupov, Trouba, Murray, Grigorenko, and Lindholm. At least to me. Maybe I'm just being overzealous, but Lindholm has been awesome...while healthy.

Maybe I'm wrong and Reinhart should be higher, but don't make the mistake of thinking that there's no reason to suggest otherwise.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Not sure I'd consider some of these guys prospects anymore. Granlund, Huberdeau, Yakupov, and Schultz are all full time NHLers now. Galchenyuk is probably one too.

Detroit has my homer vote to at least be in the discussion. If you consider the above five to be graduated than so is Smith, but they're still loaded with Nyquist, Jarnkrok, Tatar, Ouellet, Mrazek, Jurco, Sproul, Tvrdon, Frk, and Marchenko.

And IMO, Minnesota is overrated. They've got some great prospects at the top, but I don't really see a whole lot of depth in their system.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:18 AM
TwInS1095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Not sure I'd consider some of these guys prospects anymore. Granlund, Huberdeau, Yakupov, and Schultz are all full time NHLers now. Galchenyuk is probably one too.

Detroit has my homer vote to at least be in the discussion. If you consider the above five to be graduated than so is Smith, but they're still loaded with Nyquist, Jarnkrok, Tatar, Ouellet, Mrazek, Jurco, Sproul, Tvrdon, Frk, and Marchenko.

And IMO, Minnesota is overrated. They've got some great prospects at the top, but I don't really see a whole lot of depth in their system.
Simply not true at all...(last part)

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Rielly
Biggs
Gardiner
Percy
Finn
Leivo
Colborne

I think we've got a pretty underrated farm system. A bunch of our youngsters are already contributing (Matt Frattin, Nazem Kadri). Just like no one had heard about Matt Frattin earlier on, Josh Leivo is exactly the same. He'll be a very good pro before you know it. Won't call us top 5 but certainly in the top 10.

I think Detroit has a top 5 farm system.

Nyquist
Tatar
Mrazek
Pulkinnen
Jurco
Frk
Sheahan
Sproul

They're top 5 for sure.

02-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post

Nyquist
Tatar
Mrazek
Pulkinnen
Jurco
Frk
Sheahan
Sproul

They're top 5 for sure.
And that's even with you leaving off two of the top four prospects they have.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post

Depends on what you mean by overrated. You could make a case that we shouldn't be #1, but I'd have a very hard time dropping us out of the top 5.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

IMHO Ottawa, Colorado and Florida have better prospect pools than the Oilers, especially if you don't consider Schultz or Yakupov prospects anymore.

The Oilers have a ton of projects, but not really any sure fire NHlers other than Klefbom and maybe Musil.

Klefbom
Musil
Marincin
Reider
Gernat

Pretty decent, but nothing special.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
IMHO Ottawa, Colorado and Florida have better prospect pools than the Oilers, especially if you don't consider Schultz or Yakupov prospects anymore.

The Oilers have a ton of projects, but not really any sure fire NHlers other than Klefbom and maybe Musil.

Klefbom
Musil
Marincin
Reider
Gernat

Pretty decent, but nothing special.
Toronto's prospects are much better than Oilers if we're going by what's above.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:

Rielly
Biggs
Gardiner
Percy
Finn
Leivo
Colborne

I think we've got a pretty underrated farm system. A bunch of our youngsters are already contributing (Matt Frattin, Nazem Kadri). Just like no one had heard about Matt Frattin earlier on, Josh Leivo is exactly the same. He'll be a very good pro before you know it. Won't call us top 5 but certainly in the top 10.

Nyquist
Tatar
Mrazek
Pulkinnen
Jurco
Frk
Sheahan
Sproul

They're top 5 for sure.
All I've been reading is praise about Leivo this year. He seems to have taken a big step in development and is looking like a steal for a 3rd rounder in 2011. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a top 5 Leaf prospect by next year. I also think Matt Finn was a steal in the 2nd round on 2012, and doesn't get nearly as much credit as Collberg for Montreal. I do think time is starting to run out for Colborne though.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Toronto's prospects are much better than Oilers if we're going by what's above.
Probably. I wouldn't say much better, but yeah.

If I was to list them in a group:

**Gardiner, Frattin and Kadri aren' t considered prospects if Yakupov and Schultz also aren't.

1 Reilly
2 Klefbom
3 Percy
4 Musil
5 Marincin
6 Finn
7 Leivo
8 Reider
9 Colobourne
10 Lander

Pretty equal IMO, you guys have the edge.

But if we count everyone including Yak and Schultz, we have a better pool.

Last edited by Mr Forever: 02-12-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:56 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Didnt a significant amount of these "prospects" graduate? This list is extremely skewed.
All these lists are extremely skewed by the simple fact that 99% of these prospects won't become full-time NHLers. These rankings should use only an organizations top-3 prospects, the rest is depth and if you can find a diamond in the rough among that depth than kudos to you but noone will successfully guess who those diamonds are, therefore making these rankings irrelevant.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:07 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
There is no way Ottawa is first. At all.
Um, ok?

Why did you randomly decide to up and say this?

jbeck5 is online now   Reply With Quote