HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Redskins Thread IV (Playoffs?!?! Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 10:07 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Change seems to be a coming. Change to the name of the NFL team in Washington. Well I'm guessing change is coming. I say this because for the first time that I can remember a significant effort is being made to highlight the racial tone of the Redskins name.

First it was a column by that dirtball Mike Wise. Then comments from that scumbagg Vince Gray that the Skins name should change before the team plays its home games inside the city limits of DC again. And then a reporter (think it was Wise) asked Roger Goodell, during his state of the NFL press conference prior to the SB, about the negativity surrounding the Redskins name. Now the below linked column from Robert McCartney ( a columnist for the WaPost I have never heard of). In this column references to a renewed challenge to the Skins trademark and an upcoming symposium at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of the American Indian on the Redskins name.

LiL Danny and the Redskins organization might weather this latest storm, but they might not. This isn't going away, not yet, and it might take off at the drop of a hat.

Just saying, be prepared.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...y.html?hpid=z4

Also, once again, I"m on record saying the name should be changed. And a bit shocked, in this day and age of the PC Police, its lasted this long.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:12 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Change seems to be a coming. Change to the name of the NFL team in Washington. Well I'm guessing change is coming. I say this because for the first time that I can remember a significant effort is being made to highlight the racial tone of the Redskins name.

First it was a column by that dirtball Mike Wise. Then comments from that scumbagg Vince Gray that the Skins name should change before the team plays its home games inside the city limits of DC again. And then a reporter (think it was Wise) asked Roger Goodell, during his state of the NFL press conference prior to the SB, about the negativity surrounding the Redskins name. Now the below linked column from Robert McCartney ( a columnist for the WaPost I have never heard of). In this column references to a renewed challenge to the Skins trademark and an upcoming symposium at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of the American Indian on the Redskins name.

LiL Danny and the Redskins organization might weather this latest storm, but they might not. This isn't going away, not yet, and it might take off at the drop of a hat.

Just saying, be prepared.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...y.html?hpid=z4

Also, once again, I"m on record saying the name should be changed. And a bit shocked, in this day and age of the PC Police, its lasted this long.
Yep seems like it is going to happen at some point. That being said is 'redskins' actually even still used as a racial slur? Naturally in the DC area we don't have any reservations like the western states do so maybe we're just out of touch.

Does seem to be more ground swell about this. Feels a little agenda-esque rather than honest.

02-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Millhaus

Just change the logo to a potato. Problem solved...

Old
02-07-2013, 09:49 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Yep seems like it is going to happen at some point. That being said is 'redskins' actually even still used as a racial slur? Naturally in the DC area we don't have any reservations like the western states do so maybe we're just out of touch.

Does seem to be more ground swell about this. Feels a little agenda-esque rather than honest.
People don't really use d*** or w** or m*** or c*** or gu**** or in*** or hy*** anymore but they still wouldn't make good names for sports teams.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:17 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Just change the logo to a potato. Problem solved...
The Tony K solution. Needs to be a Redskin Potato though.

I like Warriors. Can fit that into the Skins fight song, keep the colors, and put a Lombardi era type logo on the side of the helmet. Burgandy W inside a white circle with feathers hanging off the back on a gold helmet.

Last edited by WetHog: 02-07-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old
02-07-2013, 10:20 AM
BobRouse

In all honesty the name should be changed.

It doesn't look good that this franchise still keeps it around. Wasn't their founding owner a total racist doosh? I think he was and I think he was the last to integrate black players.

While it will hurt the goodwill value on the books I think it will boost new sales of jerseys and apparel through the roof and give positive media exposure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
won't be missed
No kidding. Danny Smith is just awful. We consistently have an underwhelming special teams and until this year there was much fail in every kicker we had. The guy gets skewered by Skins fans for the most part so I'm sure people are happy he's gone (I assume his is)

Old
02-07-2013, 10:32 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
In all honesty the name should be changed.

It doesn't look good that this franchise still keeps it around. Wasn't their founding owner a total racist doosh? I think he was and I think he was the last to integrate black players.
Yes George Preston Marshall was a racist ****. Didn't integrate until 1962 under threat from the Kennedy administration. The Skins drafted Ernie Davis #1 overall, then shipped him off to Cleveland for Bobby Mitchell.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:37 AM
tycoonheart

Agreed about Danny Smith, I wasn't a fan of his. But what I don't understand is, apparently he is very highly regarded in the league. HOW? WHY?

Old
02-07-2013, 10:42 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Agreed about Danny Smith, I wasn't a fan of his. But what I don't understand is, apparently he is very highly regarded in the league. HOW? WHY?
A special team coach, like any coach, is only as good as the players he has available. The coverage teams this year were great, and part of that credit goes to Smith, but part also goes to the fact the Skins have added some good depth over the last couple drafts.

Smith was hired by Gibbs, kept by Zorn, kept by Shanahan and saught after by Pittsburg. He must have the goods to back up all this faith in him as ST cooridnator.

Guess we will find out next year how good he is based on the special teams performs with whoever replaces him.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:01 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Skins hire Keith Burns as Special Teams Coach.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...special-teams/

Burns played for Shanahan, and coached under Shanahan. He is a Shanahan guy. He was also the assistant ST's coach for Denver last year. This will be his first gig as a true ST's coach.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
I realize short term, it's going to hurt the franchise value. But long term, and longer term selling merch, it could be a better option.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:15 AM
AlexBrovechkin8

Washington RedHawks. Keep the colors and fight song. Change the helmet to the one with the spear or use the cursive R. Uniform and colors stay mostly the same.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:42 AM
SlappaDaBass

I'd be down for the Washington Rednecks, that about sums up a portion of our fan base.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:52 AM
AlexBrovechkin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlappaDaBass View Post
I'd be down for the Washington Rednecks, that about sums up a portion of our fan base.
Yeah, but it'd be way more fitting for the Ravens.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:06 PM
bonzilla

http://www.walmart.com/ip/17199123?w...l5=pla&veh=sem

Hey, it's a Virginia Product..

The Washington Redskin-peanuts...PBR with bowl'o peanuts logo.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:14 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
I would love to see a redneck name protest. I may even pay to see one.

I suspect most people that want change are just tired of hearing about it.

It wouldn't surprise me if those that originally organized the annual protest make money from it, or are not original natives of this country, or both.

I feel like there should be a grandfather clause to limit those caught in the ever increasing hypersensitivity that dominates our society and the media.

Whats next, a protest from guys with the name Richard, trying to rid our language of the word dick? or vice versa, Men unite; that guy is not a dick, he is an a55hole.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:15 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Don't cave...don't change the name. Not every Native American views this as a racial slur...

I prefer to think of it as a tribute to them....my 1/500th of Apache blood approves.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 02-12-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 01:19 PM
tycoonheart

****ing Mike Wise was the one who started this **** early this year. Always stirring the god damned pot. Hate that ******.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:31 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I would love to see a redneck name protest. I may even pay to see one.

I suspect most people that want change are just tired of hearing about it.

It wouldn't surprise me if those that originally organized the annual protest make money from it, or are not original natives of this country, or both.

I feel like there should be a grandfather clause to limit those caught in the ever increasing hypersensitivity that dominates our society and the media.

Whats next, a protest from guys with the name Richard, trying to rid our language of the word dick? or vice versa, Men unite; that guy is not a dick, he is an a55hole.

Clearly a class-action suit in waiting to have Dick's Sporting Goods change it.s name for drawing attention to the painful plight of all those named Richard!

Old
02-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Better not change the name

Old
02-12-2013, 02:08 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Since it's the nation's capital and to honor past Presidents - The Washington Woodrows (not so much honoring Wilson but rather JFK and Clinton as they seemed to be quite fond of theirs)

Other alternatives would be the Washington Woodpeckers and based on the fanbase could be easily exchanged with the Washington Peckerwoods.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Riot

No need to change the name. Just weather the media storm until March Madness kicks off. After that we've got MLB opening day and NFL training camp following fairly shortly. The only reason anyone is talking about this right now is because the team is relevant and there's virtually no other sports news to speak of in DC at the moment. Your team name can be as offensive as you want so long as you're 4-12 or 5-11, apparently.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:48 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
DVRd from a few weeks back saw it tonight - Raising Hope TV show on Fox isn't afraid to use the word Redskins on prime time for all to hear.

They had a Capitals shirt as usual.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:02 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Dan Steinberg‏@dcsportsbog

Hawaii Five-0 references the Redskins humiliating the Cowboys http://wapo.st/15ynEGI

Old
02-21-2013, 01:33 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

LOL...love me some McGarrett and Danno!

Closed Thread