HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

So who else feels helpless as a fan right now?

Old
02-12-2013, 12:34 PM
original islander

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
As many of you know I'm a fairly new poster here and do not know me that well. I'm likely one if not the oldest poster here. I have seen everything in Islanders history from day one, I attended the first home game ever at the Coliseum. So many of you were not around for the early years. The Islanders had a record of 12-60-6 in their first season, good for all of 30 points.The word hapless was used all the time but not hopeless. Even in that first season Bill Torrey made some smart clever minor moves which proved important later on. We knew Denis Potvin would be coming the next year.

Year two-In comes Al Arbour Young players like Bob Nystrom and others improved, Potvin lived up to the hype winning the Calder. Though the record was still pretty bad, the Islanders cut 100 off their goals against. That team could not score but was competitive and not often blown out like they were in year one. After two seasons in the NHL, I had the feeling something good was going to happen here. Not four consecutive cups worth but something good. Then came 1974-75 still my favorite Islander team.

The point is back in the 1970's every day, ever game was exciting, as time went on, you could feel this thing building and building. With the current state of everything from the owner on down I just don't sense something is going to happen good like it did back then.

Despite all that has happened the last 20 years, nothing can wipe the taste away of those early years even before the 4 cups. You had to be there to understand what went on.

I could write a book on Islander history, I have seen everything. It was a pleasure to be in on the ground floor as a fan.
Same as me with the ground floor. People that came in after Bossy got here will never understand the first 3 years. The first year was the worst team I've ever seen and they only had 2 real skaters in Harris and Westfall. The game you went to Harris got 2 goals and missed a penalty shot. Without Harris and Eddie they would've been lucky to win three games. The turnaround by year 3 was amazing.

I feel the same way about 74-75, that was my favorite team, more than the Cup winners because it came out of nowhere and we were there to witness it.

If you have a chance, MSG vault had a hour long show on the 74-75 playoffs with Chico, JP, Gillies and Denis. A lot of footage from game 5 vs Pitt and about a minute from Game 7.

Thanks for the updates in the prospect threads. If you haven't read it yet get a copy of Dynasty an oral history of the Islanders from 72-84 by Greg Prato. Hopefully they'll turn it around soon so the younger guys can experience what we did in 74-75.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Degeneration Rex

Yes you do understand. As you know before the cup there were great wins and painful loses. The cup teams evolved into the most unique team I have ever seen.

You want to try and out skate us, fine.
You want to grind it out with us, fine.
You want to win a close checking game, fine.
You want to fight us, fine.
You want to try and outscore us fine.

The Islanders beat everyone on the oppositions terms.
What ever game you want to play we'll beat you (and they did).

Degeneration Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:44 PM
DeanCrandall

I'm going for losses now, only disappointed we don't play Washington this month, would like a good shot at last place for Seth Jones.

Fan since '77 and after being rejuvenated by the arrival of Tavares, figured this is it, but four years later the organization still refuses to support the superstar and Ive had enough.

Bring on the losses. Figure we can go 1-13 for the month of February and lock up last by March 1st.

DeanCrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Same as me with the ground floor. People that came in after Bossy got here will never understand the first 3 years. The first year was the worst team I've ever seen and they only had 2 real skaters in Harris and Westfall. The game you went to Harris got 2 goals and missed a penalty shot. Without Harris and Eddie they would've been lucky to win three games. The turnaround by year 3 was amazing.

I feel the same way about 74-75, that was my favorite team, more than the Cup winners because it came out of nowhere and we were there to witness it.

If you have a chance, MSG vault had a hour long show on the 74-75 playoffs with Chico, JP, Gillies and Denis. A lot of footage from game 5 vs Pitt and about a minute from Game 7.

Thanks for the updates in the prospect threads. If you haven't read it yet get a copy of Dynasty an oral history of the Islanders from 72-84 by Greg Prato. Hopefully they'll turn it around soon so the younger guys can experience what we did in 74-75.
I do remember Harris missed penalty shot. I have seen the Vault show. Howie Rose mentions from time to time they should honor that 74-75 team.

I do have the Prato book.

I listen to a lot of junior games on the internet so I try to update often. thanks.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:56 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
As many of you know I'm a fairly new poster here and do not know me that well. I'm likely one if not the oldest poster here. I have seen everything in Islanders history from day one, I attended the first home game ever at the Coliseum. So many of you were not around for the early years. The Islanders had a record of 12-60-6 in their first season, good for all of 30 points.The word hapless was used all the time but not hopeless. Even in that first season Bill Torrey made some smart clever minor moves which proved important later on. We knew Denis Potvin would be coming the next year.

Year two-In comes Al Arbour Young players like Bob Nystrom and others improved, Potvin lived up to the hype winning the Calder. Though the record was still pretty bad, the Islanders cut 100 off their goals against. That team could not score but was competitive and not often blown out like they were in year one. After two seasons in the NHL, I had the feeling something good was going to happen here. Not four consecutive cups worth but something good. Then came 1974-75 still my favorite Islander team.

The point is back in the 1970's every day, ever game was exciting, as time went on, you could feel this thing building and building. With the current state of everything from the owner on down I just don't sense something is going to happen good like it did back then.

Despite all that has happened the last 20 years, nothing can wipe the taste away of those early years even before the 4 cups. You had to be there to understand what went on.

I could write a book on Islander history, I have seen everything. It was a pleasure to be in on the ground floor as a fan.
Degen Rex, I admire your knowledge of all things hockey, and as you know, I always appreciate your updates on our prospects. I've been a fan since 1975 (a buddy got me to be a casual fan, and I loved that playoff run that year), and then got into hockey big time in 1977 (Bossy's rookie season). I didn't get to see that much low times in the 70's, just the painful defeat to Toronto in the 78 playoffs and the bitter defeat in the 79 playoffs to the hates Rangers. Both years the Isles were favored to win those playoff series, so they were already good teams.

Coming back to present time, I understand your feelings of not having that feeling of something special going to happen, but I respectfully disagree. I feel this season is a lot like 1973-74, still not good enough to win, but we have some special players. Tavares is a player every team would love to have, Mouslon is a goal scorer, period, he's proven that every season. I feel Grabner could be special, and Hamonic is just the beginning of a very good defense that we will have in a year or two (Hamonic, Reinhart, Mayfield, Pedan, Pelech, Pokka). I feel very strongly about Poulin and Nilsson, I feel they are two of the best goalie prospects out there. I feel Strome can be a special player, and I think Neiderreiter and Nelson can be very good NHL players as well. And I feel good about Sundstrom and Ullstrom, and Persson as well. Not ALL of our prospects will succeed, but I have a good feeling about a lot of them.

Like I posted earlier, this team will become a winner, IF the owner is willing to sprinkle several KEY GOOD FA's (or key trades) in with our deep prospect pool.

On a side note, a weird coincidence in Islander's star's history

Denis Potvin scored 54 points as an Isle's rookie.
Pat Lafontaine scored 54 points as an Isle's rookie.
John Tavares scored 54 points as an Isle's rookie.

Coincidence ? I think NOT !

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Denis Potvin scored 54 points as an Isle's rookie.
Pat Lafontaine scored 54 points as an Isle's rookie.
John Tavares scored 54 points as an Isle's rookie.

Coincidence ? I think NOT !
Let's hope JT doesn't follow in Pat's footsteps in the sense of holding out, demanding a trade and then getting traded. Buffalo doesn't have a Turgeon to give us this time.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Degeneration Rex

Scott, I agree,that the Islanders have good prospects. In those early years the owner were not a factor (Original owner Roy Boe, then John Pickett when Boe had financial problems). It was Bill Torey, Jim Develano and Al Arbour. They ran the show. Today with hockey so international a lot more people are involved in hockey operations but that was the model, hockey decisions by hockey people. That young 74-75 team was surrounded by the right veterans-Westfall, Bert Marshall (great defensive d man claimed from the Rag$), Bill MacMillan, Jude Drouin and J.P. Parse. Today's team revolves around Wang and that is why I don't have the feeling of the early years. You have to have the right hockey people running the show and it's more than just spending, they have to know what they are doing.
It starts a the top lead by Wang, who I have no confidence in.

PS-Read the latest prospect post,you'll like it.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:46 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Let's hope JT doesn't follow in Pat's footsteps in the sense of holding out, demanding a trade and then getting traded. Buffalo doesn't have a Turgeon to give us this time.
Better hope that he doesn't follow in the footsteps of Billy Harris. JT 84 goals in his first 3 years in 243 games, Harris 76 goals in 236 games. Not that much of a difference.

Harris had 28 goals in his first year and had no support, minor leaguers Germain Gagnon and Dave Hudson were his linemates. Harris had to do everything like JT.

When Al got here in year 2, he had Billy concentrate on backchecking and penalty killing. Year 3 Clark Gillies was here and Al and Bill Torrey emphasized playmaking for Billy since Ralph Stewart and occasionally rookie Bob Bourne would play center. Harris became a better, more versatile skater but lost his goal scoring touch. Only in the second playoff year against Montreal did Harris show his goal scoring potential and in the off season they drafted Bossy and Billy's days as a first liner were over.

JT is forced to be a playmaker for Moulson and is doing too much digging for the puck. He's still scoring goals but his accuracy could use a little work. He could use some help soon.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:03 PM
scott99

Not to keep waxing poetic, this is geared towards the oldtimers. But I remember being at work during the 1983 draft (I was 21), and I kept calling Sportsphone (976-1313) to find out whom the Islanders were gonna draft 3rd overall in 1983. I had read all the hype about Pat Lafontaine, and was praying the Isles were gonna get him. Reading all about his exploits, 234 points in 70 games in the Q, including 104 goals, I thought he was going to be the next Gretzky. So Minnesota North Stars were up 1st, and I thought for sure they were gonna pick Lafontaine. I was shocked they went with high schooler Brian Lawton. Then Hartford was up, shockingly, they picked Sylvain Turgeon (Pierre's big brother). At this point, I was calling 976-1313 faster than humanly possible, and practically screamed at work with excitement when I heard the Isles drafted Pat Lafontaine. He quickly became my new favorite Islander. Kinda reminds me of the day the Isles drafted Tavares.

By the way, the draft was always held in Montreal back in the 80's, AND it was done on a weekday ! That's why I was at work. Shows how far the NHL Draft has become, now it's primetime Friday night.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:11 PM
original islander

Quote:
Not to keep waxing poetic, this is geared towards the oldtimers. But I remember being at work during the 1983 draft (I was 21), and I kept calling Sportsphone (976-1313) to find out whom the Islanders were gonna draft 3rd overall in 1983. I had read all the hype about Pat Lafontaine, and was praying the Isles were gonna get him. Reading all about his exploits, 234 points in 70 games in the Q, including 104 goals, I thought he was going to be the next Gretzky. So Minnesota North Stars were up 1st, and I thought for sure they were gonna pick Lafontaine. I was shocked they went with high schooler Brian Lawton. Then Hartford was up, shockingly, they picked Sylvain Turgeon (Pierre's big brother). At this point, I was calling 976-1313 faster than humanly possible, and practically screamed at work with excitement when I heard the Isles drafted Pat Lafontaine. He quickly became my new favorite Islander. Kinda reminds me of the day the Isles drafted Tavares.

By the way, the draft was always held in Montreal back in the 80's, AND it was done on a weekday ! That's why I was at work. Shows how far the NHL Draft has become, now it's primetime Friday night.
That is so ironic I had just started a new job in May of 83 and did the same thing at lunchtime and on a break at a pay phone by the vending machines in our office and I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs because I thought more cups were on the way. I had read about Pat and Yzerman in one of the old magazines ( I think Hockey Illustrated) although I thought he pronounced it Yes-er-man.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:52 PM
scott99

Quote:
That is so ironic I had just started a new job in May of 83 and did the same thing at lunchtime and on a break at a pay phone by the vending machines in our office and I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs because I thought more cups were on the way. I had read about Pat and Yzerman in one of the old magazines ( I think Hockey Illustrated) although I thought he pronounced it Yes-er-man.
I worked at a stock brokerage firm at the time, and 976-1313 was not blocked yet, so I was able to call for free at my desk. It was one of my happiest draft moments ever, along with the Tavares draft pick. As far as Tavares, I actually had some Tavares hockey cards more than a year before we drafted him, hoping we'd somehow wound up with him. Come draft day 2009, I was so nervous Snow would mess up and NOT pick Tavares. I'm so thrilled he did. Though Tavares is a different kind of player than Lafontaine, the same excitement for me exists as when I was a Lafonatine fan. In fact, I was one of the lucky ones to be at Tavares' first NHL against the Penguins. I believe I was at Lafontaine's 3rd game ever I believe. Both became my favorite players immediately.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:02 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
I worked at a stock brokerage firm at the time, and 976-1313 was not blocked yet, so I was able to call for free at my desk. It was one of my happiest draft moments ever, along with the Tavares draft pick. As far as Tavares, I actually had some Tavares hockey cards more than a year before we drafted him, hoping we'd somehow wound up with him. Come draft day 2009, I was so nervous Snow would mess up and NOT pick Tavares. I'm so thrilled he did. Though Tavares is a different kind of player than Lafontaine, the same excitement for me exists as when I was a Lafonatine fan. In fact, I was one of the lucky ones to be at Tavares' first NHL against the Penguins. I believe I was at Lafontaine's 3rd game ever I believe. Both became my favorite players immediately.
I was there too. Too bad I was busy taking a piss when he scored his first career goal. I'll never live that down.

LaFontaine was such a joy back then. Tavares is the best thing to happen to this franchise since Patty. Hopefully his talent won't be wasted like LaFontaine was.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:02 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I was there too. Too bad I was busy taking a piss when he scored his first career goal. I'll never live that down.

LaFontaine was such a joy back then. Tavares is the best thing to happen to this franchise since Patty. Hopefully his talent won't be wasted like LaFontaine was.
Lol, you might have been standing near my Dad, he missed JT's first goal too while going to the Men's room lol.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:16 PM
NYI365
Let's Go Islanders!

This sums it up quite nicely.

http://i.imgur.com/imjOtlW.jpg

NYI365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:18 PM
DeanCrandall

You can't make this stuff up, and the losing streak will continue .....

Seth Jones is the son of Brooklyn Nets assistant coach, Ronald "Popeye" Jones, who played 11 seasons in the National Basketball Association (NBA).

Old
02-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Drivefor5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI365 View Post

Thats Funny

Drivefor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:20 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:

That's a pretty awesome pic. I see major potential avatar changes.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:23 PM
original islander

Quote:

Love it. Garth looks like he's having a good laugh while poor Cappy looks like a sad Ralph Kramden.

Old
DeanCrandall

Quote:

That's impressive, had to steal it and put it on my facebook. Our female goalies are hilarious.

Old
bigbren92

Quote:

this is genius

bigbren92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:24 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:

I never doubted the direction in the early going. It always felt like they had a plan. I can't say the same now, at least a plan for success. I know they have a plan to save money, and have a general plan to keep adding high end prospects, but I see zero plan to actually develop what makes it up to the big club.

Bill always had that covered. Garth, not so much.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:25 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:

That's excellent!

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:27 PM
DeanCrandall

Can someone photoshop Seth Jones in an Islander jersey, that would be my avatar.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:30 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I never doubted the direction in the early going. It always felt like they had a plan. I can't say the same now, at least a plan for success. I know they have a plan to save money, and have a general plan to keep adding high end prospects, but I see zero plan to actually develop what makes it up to the big club.

Bill always had that covered. Garth, not so much.
Unfortunately I see the same problem. At a certain time you have to have a 74-75 season and if it's takes too long you lose players mentally and fans loyalty.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Hipietro

One can only feel helpless at this point. Its one thing to suck, but its a totally different ballgame when we suck and have an owner that doesn't care.

All you have to do to realize this is look at the entire marketing operation the Islanders are running. Everything is aimed at kids, the ice girls/cheerleaders, Sparky, TV timeouts, intermissions, etc. Islander games at the Coliseum are run so that kids have fun, and that's it. I guess Wang is hoping kids have so much fun they beg their parents to go back.

Wang knows he can't market the actual hockey team because there's nothing to market. The on-ice product simply isn't good enough. Kids don't care about wins/losses, they just want to get their popcorn and cotton candy, and hangout with Sparky.

Marketing to kids is pretty much all Wang and the Islanders' marketing team has left. You can only market one guy (Tavares) so much.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote