HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Penguins - Bolts

Old
02-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
I'd trade Pouliot for Connolly.

How do we do this?
Agreed. Finally, someone comes up with a deal that is somewhat equal and trade for a weakness from a point of strength.

WE don't lose much trading Pouliot and could possibly gain so much with Connolly.

I think it sets up the same way for Tampa too.

Pelican Peach Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Steve Holt
Embrace the hate

The Bolts were confident enough to draft Connolly, even with his injury history. The Pens were high enough on Pouliot to draft him 8th overall, even with other players on the board. Almost fair value (give or take either way), but I can't picture either team parting with their respective player.

Steve Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:40 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

if we're going to trade our high ceiling D prospect, I'd prefer it be for a guy who already has established himself in the NHL

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:05 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
You don't understand where I'm going with it. We have a certain amount of assets to deal. The ones that we have that carry the most value, absent the ones that frankly aren't going anywhere, are D prospects and picks. That is what we use to help this team this year. We don't trade Pouliot, or Harrington or Maatta for another prospect that could be one year away. We are a franchise that is in a win now mentality with our roster.

I'm not about to wait a year for Connolly to arrive. This hording of D prospects was done for a reason. It is bad asset management to trade Pouliot for Connolly knowing you have to wait on Connolly; then be forced to trade another one of your assets like Matta and package with a first for IMMEDIATE help which is needed.
Pouliot is not a year away.

I'd probably do this trade. We have a stockpile of young D prospects and a bare cabinet of wingers. If Bennett and Connolly both pan out, there's our 2 top 6 wingers we so dearly need.

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:34 PM
The Old Master

if the kids continue to do well......we could move orpik or martin......but it would make more sense at the draft

The Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

vCash: 169
Send a message via MSN to Bish please
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post

Was it really that great of a trade? Aulie just seems to be a bottom pairing defense man to me. He does bring a physical dimension to your blue-line though.
Ashton was playing on the 4th line or the Norfolk Admirals at the time of the trade and he only has 16 points in 43 games this season.

Aulie has even out scored him in the NHL. Aulie won't be great but he's been very good in his own end and even chipping in on offense.

Bish please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Rschmitz

Aulie has played great so far this season, progressing nicely for us. He's playing like a top 4 shut down defenseman, but that is with reduced minutes, so hopefully he can continue to develop.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:12 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
if we're going to trade our high ceiling D prospect, I'd prefer it be for a guy who already has established himself in the NHL
It is a trade of one high ceiling prospect for another. Improves a weakness in system potentially at no real cost providing each pans out.

nwpensfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:19 PM
chasespace

Quote:
And if Tampa is gonna trade our high ceiling forward prospect, I'd prefer it be for someone who is already established as well.

Both are dealing from a position of strength to one of need/want, not always going to be the most perfect trade.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:27 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
Pouliot is not a year away.

I'd probably do this trade. We have a stockpile of young D prospects and a bare cabinet of wingers. If Bennett and Connolly both pan out, there's our 2 top 6 wingers we so dearly need.
I wasn't talking about Pouliot being a year away. I was talking about the Pens needing immediate help if it trades a D prospect and Connolly doesn't provide immediate help. We have to wait for him probably a year.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:41 PM
JTG

I'd trade Pouliot for Connolly and never look back.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:22 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
It is a trade of one high ceiling prospect for another. Improves a weakness in system potentially at no real cost providing each pans out.
you know what's more important than our system's lack of wing prospects right now? Our NHL team's lack of capable top 6 wingers. Lets deal with that, then we can try to improve our system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
And if Tampa is gonna trade our high ceiling forward prospect, I'd prefer it be for someone who is already established as well.

Both are dealing from a position of strength to one of need/want, not always going to be the most perfect trade.
Well then both teams should take a look at this and walk away. Its probably not wise for any team to deal one of, if not the, most promising prospect they have in a trade that isn't "perfect."

Old
02-11-2013, 08:47 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
you know what's more important than our system's lack of wing prospects right now? Our NHL team's lack of capable top 6 wingers. Lets deal with that, then we can try to improve our system.
I understand your point but I do not expect that DP is going to land us a top 6 wing that isn't a rental w/o at least a high draft pick included. This trade addresses a team need in a straight up trade of prospects. I, for one, would like to see some young wing depth. This trade has potential for long term help not just this year.

nwpensfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:05 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
I understand your point but I do not expect that DP is going to land us a top 6 wing that isn't a rental w/o at least a high draft pick included. This trade addresses a team need in a straight up trade of prospects. I, for one, would like to see some young wing depth. This trade has potential for long term help not just this year.
the deal could include more than just Pouliot though.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:01 PM
HoseEmDown

I don't see this beneficial for the lightning, we already have a player like Pouliot in Barberio who's closer to NHL ready.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:35 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

In response to the OP proposal:

If I'm the Lightening: I probably say no to this deal unless Pittsburgh adds or it's part of a bigger deal that can help us now. (an established guy like Orpik/Martin/Niskanen + a high-end D prospect, but if that prospect is Pouliot, Tampa would have to add). If it's one-for-one, I say "no" from TB perspective because as much as I love Pouliot, Connoly's upside is higher and he's more NHL ready. If Pens add, however, could be a different story.

If I'm the Pens: I'd be all over trying to get a guy like Connolly (or similar "high-end" wing prospect like Coyle, Niederreiter, etc.), but I would prefer to not move Pouliot in particular, because he's the only "true PP-QB" in the organization (with all respect due to Morrow/Despres/etc), and I'm not sure if Tampa is high enough on any of the Pens other D prospects to make a 1 for 1 trade. So, instead, I would be offering up something like one of Morrow, Maatta or Dumoulin + picks/prospects.

In the end, I'm not sure there's enough common ground there to do it. It really would depend on how much each team likes the core players involved (how much does Tampa like Pouliot? Do they like Dumoulin or Morrow even better than Pouliot? Would Tampa prefer the core part of the deal to involved an established Dman like Orpik/Martin? How high are the Pens on Connolly? If Tampa wanted Pouliot, do the Pens see someone being available in the 1st round this year who could replace DP as a PP-QB of the future?)

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:03 PM
sparxx87

Quote:

Well then both teams should take a look at this and walk away. Its probably not wise for any team to deal one of, if not the, most promising prospect they have in a trade that isn't "perfect."
No trade is perfect, all involve risks..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
In response to the OP proposal:

If I'm the Lightening: I probably say no to this deal unless Pittsburgh adds or it's part of a bigger deal that can help us now. (an established guy like Orpik/Martin/Niskanen + a high-end D prospect, but if that prospect is Pouliot, Tampa would have to add). If it's one-for-one, I say "no" from TB perspective because as much as I love Pouliot, Connoly's upside is higher and he's more NHL ready. If Pens add, however, could be a different story.

If I'm the Pens: I'd be all over trying to get a guy like Connolly (or similar "high-end" wing prospect like Coyle, Niederreiter, etc.), but I would prefer to not move Pouliot in particular, because he's the only "true PP-QB" in the organization (with all respect due to Morrow/Despres/etc), and I'm not sure if Tampa is high enough on any of the Pens other D prospects to make a 1 for 1 trade. So, instead, I would be offering up something like one of Morrow, Maatta or Dumoulin + picks/prospects.

In the end, I'm not sure there's enough common ground there to do it. It really would depend on how much each team likes the core players involved (how much does Tampa like Pouliot? Do they like Dumoulin or Morrow even better than Pouliot? Would Tampa prefer the core part of the deal to involved an established Dman like Orpik/Martin? How high are the Pens on Connolly? If Tampa wanted Pouliot, do the Pens see someone being available in the 1st round this year who could replace DP as a PP-QB of the future?)
The Bolts may prefer Morrow but I went with Pouliot because he has higher offensive potential. I can't imagine them wanting a package, the return for Connolly would have to be another big potential player at another position.

Very reasonable post though. You raise some good points, recognize the value in Connolly, and even suggest that Pittsburgh may need to add a sweetener which I tend to agree with.

The one thing I don't agree is that they'd have to replace Pouliot with another PPQB next year; Letang will keep that seat warm for the next few years at least. The Penguins can afford this deal because of him, as well as guys like Despres and Harrington who will provide serviceable defense on ELC's. I don't think a QB is necessary for the next few years at least, while Tampa could use one..

All that said, what's a fair sweetener for Tampa to give up Connolly?

Glad to see most logical Pens fans in this thread jump at the OP.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote