HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Habs need a heavyweight enforcer?

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Matt Kassian on waivers from Minnesota?
Yes 86 74.78%
No 29 25.22%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 11:49 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Do the Habs need a heavyweight enforcer?

Last thread at its limit, continue here.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:49 AM
overlords
Hfboards

hoto closes the thread as soon as I post

Old
02-12-2013, 12:05 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

I'm not against a good one, but I'd rather a Mark Stuart and Ryan Clowe to replace Kaberle/Desharnais.

In a perfect world of course.

Bourque-Plek-Gionta
Pac-Eller-Cole
Clowe-Gally-Gally
Moen-White-Prust
Army

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Subban
Stuart-Diaz
Bouillon

Bring it!

Old
02-12-2013, 01:20 PM
PYG85

What about Kassian from Minny, they dont need him with Rupp and Konopka and mtl need an heavyweight. Prust is a good fighter but he's not an heavyweight

Old
02-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Habtchum*

If these guys are just spare parts and play only a handful of games, I would go with real big guys like Steve MacIntyre and Boris Valabik. One could be our 13th/14th forward and the other one our 7th D-Man. Both have NHL experience.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:30 PM
nilan123

Absolutely they do. After the embarrassment of the leafs game, this should be a no brainer. Toronto took numerous pot shots at us, Orr taking a 50 ft run at Plekanec. Then grabbing Gionta. Fyi this all happened when Prust was thrown out.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Uber Coca

A heavyweight enforcer has always been useless once picked up by Montreal. Yeah, let's use one.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
A heavyweight enforcer has always been useless once picked up by Montreal. Yeah, let's use one.
This season (shortened), there is a real dog fight out there. The number of fights has increased significantly since ladst season. It,s utterly competitive and you need to adjust to that. Pruist is not able and won't be able to do the dirty work all by himself. The team is still way too small with guys like Gionta, DD, Gallagher, Plekanec up front, and a D-Corp with no one over 6 ft, except Emelin.

Team toughness is a great concept on paper, and on paper only.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:43 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
If these guys are just spare parts and play only a handful of games, I would go with real big guys like Steve MacIntyre and Boris Valabik. One could be our 13th/14th forward and the other one our 7th D-Man. Both have NHL experience.
I'm down with big Mac. If only for the Leafs and Bruins

Old
02-12-2013, 01:43 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Laraque was a fighter, he didn't even know how to play hockey. Couldn't skate or shoot and had zero hockey sense. There are heavyweights that can actually play hockey.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:44 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
I'm down with big Mac. If only for the Leafs and Bruins
Me to...hes huge

Old
02-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
This season (shortened), there is a real dog fight out there. The number of fights has increased significantly since ladst season. It,s utterly competitive and you need to adjust to that. Pruist is not able and won't be able to do the dirty work all by himself. The team is still way too small with guys like Gionta, DD, Gallagher, Plekanec up front, and a D-Corp with no one over 6 ft, except Emelin.

Team toughness is a great concept on paper, and on paper only.
Team toughness is far from being only good on paper, and having a heavyweight enforcer will not make this team ''tougher''. I thought people would of understand that given the decline of the enforcers in the league.

People react way too much to only one game. The Canadiens have been out-hitting the opposition since the beginning of the season.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
Laraque was a fighter, he didn't even know how to play hockey. Couldn't skate or shoot and had zero hockey sense. There are heavyweights that can actually play hockey.
You say this about Laraque, who scored more than 10 goals in a season and yet you want Mac ? Sounds legit.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG85 View Post
What about Kassian from Minny, they dont need him with Rupp and Konopka and mtl need an heavyweight. Prust is a good fighter but he's not an heavyweight
I asked about Kassian in the previous thread...I have a vague recollection that he looked like The Rocket vs the Habs last year lol

Not sure how he is skating wise or as a hockey player in general...but as someone who was opposed to having a 'goon' dress, I'm starting to wonder if having guys like Prust/Armstrong/Emelin/Subban/Gallagher, guys who can easily get fireworks started against tougher teams, makes the Habs need for a true heavyweight actually legit now?

Old
02-12-2013, 02:12 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
You say this about Laraque, who scored more than 10 goals in a season and yet you want Mac ? Sounds legit.
I would take mac to only play against bos and tor. If you want a real heavyweight that can play then that's a different story.

and laraque only scored 10+ goals once in his early years.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I asked about Kassian in the previous thread...I have a vague recollection that he looked like The Rocket vs the Habs last year lol

Not sure how he is skating wise or as a hockey player in general...but as someone who was opposed to having a 'goon' dress, I'm starting to wonder if having guys like Prust/Armstrong/Emelin/Subban/Gallagher, guys who can easily get fireworks started against tougher teams, makes the Habs need for a true heavyweight actually legit now?
I think it does, frankly.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:32 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Agreed. We also need a tower on Defense. We're too sofff on that end.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Godzilla

I truly believe that even with limited ice time, a true heavyweight enforcer can be effective...even sitting on the bench. I think if opposing teams knew that there was someone on the opposite bench that would answer the bell if things got out of hand, it just may be enough to calm things down a little.

You can see the effect of this on guys like Marchand and Campell in Boston with the heavyweights that have on their roster. It gives them a little more guts knowing they have that support behind them, and we are seeing the effects a heavyweight enforcer has in Buffalo as well.

Laraque had that effect when he first joined the Habs until other teams got wind that he wont do anything if you don't engage. He lost his effectiveness to intimidate anybody at that point.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:36 PM
PsychoticHab

I've always liked Godard as he will do anything for a teammate but the problem is he decided to retire.

Wonder if it would be possible to convince him out of it.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Yeah, i'd have to agree...I'd be curious if Matt Kassian will be waived by Minny now. I think he's barely played this year and they've just acquired Rupp.

I know he can fight and he's huge...with the kind of team they've built, it's doing a bit of a disservice to not have this type of player.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:42 PM
PYG85

Mtl definetely need a true heavyweight, if you look at the north east division there is a lot of heavyweight: Scott, McCormick, Thornton, McQuaid, Lucic, Chara, Neil, Fraser, McLaren and Orr. I love Prust and Moen but they are not heavyweight.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
I truly believe that even with limited ice time, a true heavyweight enforcer can be effective...even sitting on the bench. I think if opposing teams knew that there was someone on the opposite bench that would answer the bell if things got out of hand, it just may be enough to calm things down a little.

You can see the effect of this on guys like Marchand and Campell in Boston with the heavyweights that have on their roster. It gives them a little more guts knowing they have that support behind them, and we are seeing the effects a heavyweight enforcer has in Buffalo as well.

Laraque had that effect when he first joined the Habs until other teams got wind that he wont do anything if you don't engage. He lost his effectiveness to intimidate anybody at that point.
Gotta agree with this somewhat...you have to wonder how a guy like Gallagher will continue or be willing to continue to play his style of game, when he has to fight guys much bigger than him?

Same goes for Prust...

Old
02-12-2013, 02:48 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
If we bring in a heavyweight, would it not spell the end for White? Is there room on a team for a goon, plus White, plus Prust? At a certain point aren't we making redundancies?

I'm not being rhetorical, I'd like to know what kind of roster shuffling we'd have to do to accomodate the addition of a heavy like Kassian.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG85 View Post
Mtl definetely need a true heavyweight, if you look at the north east division there is a lot of heavyweight: Scott, McCormick, Thornton, McQuaid, Lucic, Chara, Neil, Fraser, McLaren and Orr. I love Prust and Moen but they are not heavyweight.
If Prust and Moen are not heavyweights then neither is Neil or Thornton or Fraser(WTF??) or McCormick(LMAO) or McQuaid(who was spanked by White and weighs like 190lbs). Lucic is a heavyweight but doesn't fight like one, he usually fight either non fighters or smaller guys. Chara barely ever fights, it would be like lising Gill as a Nashville "heavyweight".

It would be nice to have a big monster to pound the crap out of Orr, but the division is not full of "hevyweights".

Old
02-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
If we bring in a heavyweight, would it not spell the end for White? Is there room on a team for a goon, plus White, plus Prust? At a certain point aren't we making redundancies?

I'm not being rhetorical, I'd like to know what kind of roster shuffling we'd have to do to accomodate the addition of a heavy like Kassian.
I would think white's job would be more at risk than Prust. Prust has actually been productive so far and much less one dimensional as I originally expected. His ice time is actually justified.

He reminds me of a guy like Wendyl Clark. The guy could scrap but show some skill at the same time.

Closed Thread