HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

When Niskanen Heals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2013, 08:35 AM
  #176
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!
 
AquaticBirdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
We need Niskanen...we need the depth.

Reese is the #7. Rolling into the playoffs with Reese as the #7 is not the depth that wins cups.

Letang-Nisk
Orpik-Martin
Despres-Engo
Bortuzzo-Reese

Even then, a better #8 would be preferable.
From what I saw of Reese against the Devils I don't think he should step on the ice again for the Pens for a long, long time. The man simply isn't NHL calibre.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:36 AM
  #177
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!
 
AquaticBirdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHSports View Post
I will ask this.. Bortuzzo and Engelland play well together, plus Pens are very physical and you really need these two.

What has Orpik done this year? Time to move on from him IMO.
I'm pretty sure he's gone once his current contract expires.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:40 AM
  #178
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHSports View Post
I will ask this.. Bortuzzo and Engelland play well together, plus Pens are very physical and you really need these two.

What has Orpik done this year? Time to move on from him IMO.
Orpik's played well with Martin. Engelland has not played that well imo and Bortuzzo is iffy as a top 4 D. I don't think Engelland and/or Bortuzzo make Orpik expendable right now.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:40 AM
  #179
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Orpik's played well with Martin. Engelland has not played that well imo and Bortuzzo is iffy as a top 4 D. I don't think Engelland and/or Bortuzzo make Orpik expendable right now.
Neither one does.

Interesting that you think Engo hasn't played well overall (I'm guessing you mean aside from the 2-3 really sweet showings with Borts). That seems to run counter to one of the great popular myths around here.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:27 PM
  #180
SidsBackhand
Registered User
 
SidsBackhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Steel City
Country: United States
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Something has to be done. I love Engelland's grit and toughness that he brings to the game, but I don't like the breakaway's and oddman rushes that he allows by playing the man.

But if the Pens remove him from the lineup, we lose toughness.

The Pens also DESPERATELY NEED A WINGER now. Move a prospect (not Despres or Tuzzo) and a pick/picks for someone.

Maybe move Kunitz down to Malkin's line and put the new winger with 87. Or put new winger with 71 and move Boychuk down (finally getting TK off of the 3rd line, good God he sucks this year).



Ugh, I'm so conflicted with this.





Sincerely,

an overly concerned and frustrated Pens fan.

SidsBackhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:34 PM
  #181
Kovifan27
Registered User
 
Kovifan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 1,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidsBackhand View Post
Something has to be done. I love Engelland's grit and toughness that he brings to the game, but I don't like the breakaway's and oddman rushes that he allows by playing the man.

But if the Pens remove him from the lineup, we lose toughness.

The Pens also DESPERATELY NEED A WINGER now. Move a prospect (not Despres or Tuzzo) and a pick/picks for someone.

Maybe move Kunitz down to Malkin's line and put the new winger with 87. Or put new winger with 71 and move Boychuk down (finally getting TK off of the 3rd line, good God he sucks this year).

Ugh, I'm so conflicted with this.

Sincerely,
an overly concerned and frustrated Pens fan.
I don't see any way picks/prospects are getting us a top line guy. This is going to be a crazy trade deadline with so many teams feeling they have a chance at the playoffs.

The offers are going to be high and risky. If we are going after a top tier fwd Nisky is most likely going the other way.

Kovifan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:57 PM
  #182
SidsBackhand
Registered User
 
SidsBackhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Steel City
Country: United States
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovifan27 View Post
I don't see any way picks/prospects are getting us a top line guy. This is going to be a crazy trade deadline with so many teams feeling they have a chance at the playoffs.

The offers are going to be high and risky. If we are going after a top tier fwd Nisky is most likely going the other way.

Touche, I agree with you. There are way more scouts at games already than there were last year. It's going to be a bidding battle...

An exception possibly would be a team needs to rebuild the farm. The Penguins have an abundance of prospects for those teams, seeds waiting to grow into great players. But this would only work if the other party is truly a sinking ship.

The problem with this theory is the whole Blue Jackets situation. They're the poster child for a team needing to melt down it's parts and start anew. Well, the CBJ game last night (as I'm sure you're aware) was filled with over 15 different team scouts including a Pens scout.

This year is going to be tough to acquire a wing, but the top two lines DESPERATELY need a quality one.

If I were Ray, I would probably move Niskanen (and soon). Tough choice, but if they don't...I'm afraid it's going to be another early round exit for the Pens...


Come on Ray.

SidsBackhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:59 PM
  #183
cheesedanish87
Registered User
 
cheesedanish87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,524
vCash: 500
Do u guys know if reese has to clear waivers to be sent down?

cheesedanish87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:04 PM
  #184
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Do u guys know if reese has to clear waivers to be sent down?
I think if he is sent down right now he wouldn't be subject to waivers. I think if he plays 10 games or spends 30 days (or is it 45?) in the NHL, he then would be subject to waivers.

Something like that.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:09 PM
  #185
cheesedanish87
Registered User
 
cheesedanish87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I think if he is sent down right now he wouldn't be subject to waivers. I think if he plays 10 games or spends 30 days (or is it 45?) in the NHL, he then would be subject to waivers.

Something like that.
Oh ok i thought it was the other way around that he had to play so many games before he could be sent down. Looks like hes gonna be sent down soon hopefully he doesn't have to go through waivers really dont wanna lose another def.

cheesedanish87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:09 PM
  #186
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce
 
Tasty Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,222
vCash: 500
Who cares, to be honest.

Even if another offensive guy goes down for a few games later in the season, I'd rather they call up Dumo instead, since he's a better option anyway, and to give him some NHL experience so if, god forbid, the injury bug hits in the playoffs (or there's a trade, or both), he could step in for a game or two.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:28 PM
  #187
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHSports View Post
I will ask this.. Bortuzzo and Engelland play well together, plus Pens are very physical and you really need these two.

What has Orpik done this year? Time to move on from him IMO.
Orpik has played great hockey this season...that's what he's done.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:36 PM
  #188
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Orpik has played great hockey this season...that's what he's done.
Doesn't make him untouchable imo.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:40 PM
  #189
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Doesn't make him untouchable imo.
There are 2 untouchable guys on the Pens.


Doesn't mean I'd give him up for some used water bottles either.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.