HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ralph Krueger

Old
02-10-2013, 11:00 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
And stop trying to get everyone fair ice time. Guys who make $6 million a yer should play their ***** off. They are young and should be able to play more and regardless are paid to play more. Who cares what is fair. This isn't community hockey. If they get tired they get tired. At least we may win some by more than a squeaker. I don't care how much time Pjarvi gets. I don't care if Smyth has to sit for a whole period and I am a fan. Worry about being worn out once we get to playoffs. Play til you puke for millions of dollars. I bet the players would.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:12 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

vCash: 500
It's a truncated season. Less practice time, more rolling of 4 lines to save wear and tear on our young players.

I agree that Krueger needs to work on entry/neutral zone stuff and the PP but the fact that Hall, Eberle, and RNH can't put the puck in an empty net isn't his fault.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
RK is the best educated coach we've had. Give him time. **** sakes. He's the perfect guy for our group.
What a ridiculous statement.

MacT and its not even close. Has Kreuger won Multiple Stanley Cups playing on the best team in hockey? Has kreuger been associated with even a winning team at this level, or anywhere?

Has Kreuger coached a team to the 7th game of a SC final?

jebus MacT was damned educated and if anything was guilty of being beyond the players comprehension or attention to detail. The one time MacT had a capable squad he rode it all the way.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:49 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

MacT and its not even close. Has Kreuger won Multiple Stanley Cups playing on the best team in hockey? Has kreuger been associated with even a winning team at this level, or anywhere?

jebus MacT was damned educated and if anything was guilty of being beyond the players comprehension or attention to detail. The one time MacT had a capable squad he rode it all the way.
Here here. Best coach we had since Muckler. He learned a lot with a poor team. Surprised nobody has hired him. Would be a good fit for Minisota or maybe Calgary.

I'd be fired

Old
02-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Just wondering if anyone else heard MacT on Stauffer's show last week. It was hilarious. MacT started out by asking for Stauffer's address so he would know where to send a sympathy card to his wife. He then went on to take a few more shots at Bob before they had this conversation ...

MacT - Well the problem you make is you over value the impact of coaching.

Bob - You think so?

MacT - Yeah. Yes. Yes. Yes. You do. You're far more critical of coaches than you should be and at the same time you'll give coaches far more credit than you should. And ...

Bob - .... OK ....

MacT - ... and, at the end of the day you know its really the players that are driving it. And, you know its not like the old days when there were poor coaches.

Bob - ... Right ....

MacT - There just isn't anymore. Its way too competitive. Its too technical. You need too much experience to get the job. There are too many people that want the job, so I mean the quality of coaching now is ... high.

--------------------------------------

I think he makes a good point. Really, given all the experience these men have, the access they have to system data and stats, and the bevy of staff that support them, how much difference could there possibly be between Renney, MacT and Krueger?

Its one reason I rarely get too invested in blaming a coach for the predicament of this team. In assigning blame I'd rather look a bit higher up at the goof who assembled the roster. Doesn't matter who is coaching this team as long as we have the dumbest man in hockey sitting in the GM chair.
As much as I enjoy this post, and MacT just toying with Bob, sure there are many good to great tactical coaches. Several Roger Neilsons in the game right now.

But what about the more human aspect. The one Sather, Keenan(in prime) had in spades. The Bob Johnsons, the Herb Brooks that got a lot more out of their respective teams than they should ever be able to.

Back to Roger Neilson, in his case he was both, So was Fred Shero, so was Scotty Bowman.

The guys that can instill knowledge, passion, team, is what makes champions.

Kreuger is talking the first part. The players aren't buying that much right now.

AS a result we see outright refusal to attend to coaching instruction(for instance shift duration of the first line), we see a confused breakout scheme that nobody seems to know. We see Petry, Smid, Whitney, Potter, looking worse running outlet passes then we've ever seen. We see no offense in the entire D corps except for J Schultz who is apparently god and can rise above it.

We see a team that is HOPELESS on 5 on 5 and can't get anything done at evens and wouldn't be in any game this year without the PP.

Krueger is a good special teams coach. Who was made a head coach. Unfortunately the learning curve is steep. How hard would it have been to keep Renney on in some associate capacity or was that not available or in the cards?

Bucky and Smith as assistants? I dunno. Nice guys can often finish last.

Trouble is we have a tradition of coach killing in this org. Ironic considering the guy at the top was its coach..

Coaching is hard enough at the top rung without knowing management will make you walk the plank EVERY TIME instead of take any accountability ANY TIME in a seemingly never ending charade.

Last edited by Replacement: 02-10-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old
02-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

I never really liked MacT because of how defensive minded of a coach he was but he did make this team competitive through all of those years of us having a mediocre squad. I really liked how he wasn't afraid to light a fire under the teams *** and bag skate them. I just can't imagine Kreuger being that type of a coach, too lenient and too much like Renney.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
I never really liked MacT because of how defensive minded of a coach he was but he did make this team competitive through all of those years of us having a mediocre squad. I really liked how he wasn't afraid to light a fire under the teams *** and bag skate them. I just can't imagine Kreuger being that type of a coach, too lenient and too much like Renney.
Kreuger before the season started repeatedly stated that if the team had a bad game, off night, he would give them the next day off to "get away from the rink" and get it out of their system.

Unknowingly coach just gave a handful of players on this squad even less reason to bother making their best effort. Their ears probably perked up when they heard that nonsense. "What? No bag skate, day off instead, lol"

Honestly, I know he has good intent but I've rarely heard something so naive from an NHL coach. This isn't the Swiss National team where players might regularly buy in this is the country club entitled NHL where you have to find ways to make players buy in when several players in your lineup, Hello Ryan Whitney for example, could care less and will throw the coach under the bus everytime.

People hardly noted the players here that were content to make statements about the exited Tom Renney and how they blame shifted their own poor seasons on to Renney. Fans should pay attention to that and should cast suspicion on those players. FTR Whitney, Peckham, Eager, were all clearly in this camp. With I suspect more.

Also, be somewhat suspicious of the players that are always keen to make it sound like the new boss is the best boss ever. Thats seldom a genuine sentiment.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:10 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

I think Krueger is learning and hopefully gets it all worked out. 10 or so NHL games isn't much experience. Sather took a while to get everything awesome. Seems to me Kruegers last game he changed his ways a bit in mixing up lines. Maybe a bit desperate but sees a need for change.

He's the coach right now and hopefully knows what he's doing. I'll complain but still has my support.

I still think leave the second line alone no matter what. Hemsky and Yak need the confidence.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Gmen 1

Soft Coach = Soft Team

Gmen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
MacT won with crap players that KLowe fed into his grinder. The one time he got a stud on the blue line he coached a bunch of nobody's to game 7!

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:39 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
MacT won with crap players that KLowe fed into his grinder. The one time he got a stud on the blue line he coached a bunch of nobody's to game 7!
As well as created the culture the team has admittedly worked so hard to change since he left.

A lot of the same problems still exist from last year. I don't know why this caught everyone by surprise seeing as we only added two rookies to a 29th place line-up.

Some of the problems have gone away though. We are not breaking mentally after deflating occurrences, and everyone is playing TEAM defense. Those are two things directly related to coaching and mental preparation. Special teams have been great as well.

At the quarter mark we are fighting for one of those last play-off spots. If anyone really expected more out of this line-up they are out of touch imo.

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:03 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I'm ok with Ralph, but the time has come to earn that paycheque, this group of kids needs to have zone breakouts and entry drilled into their heads until they get it. Time for the teacher to teach.

And if they're not doing it the right way, it's time to start benching some of them to send a message.
hard to bench the kids when one of your vet leaders that takes stupid penalties every game doesn't get benched.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:33 AM
commie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
RK is the best educated coach we've had. Give him time. **** sakes. He's the perfect guy for our group.
Is this even true? Best educated coach, in terms of what?

I was surprised to see MacT's photo in my alumni's magazine recently. Apparently, MacT was doing his EMBA at Queen's University the last couple of years.

commie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Bergeron47

Pre-game yesterday
“@dantencer: A very blunt Ralph Krueger: "We haven't been shooting enough. Our shots on goal are unacceptable. We need to raise that number dramatically"”

14 shots on goal vs. Blue Jackets

/fail

Bergeron47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Is Kruger the hero we deserve?

Quote:
Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec
"As we get better as an organization, there will be players who don't meet our expectations anymore." - Krueger.
I, for one, have been waiting for this type of attitude in this organization for a very long time. Having ALL players equally accountable to the same standard can do nothing but positive things for everything moving forward, including the development of the kids as the future leaders for this team.

Good job, Ralph, I'm sure you scored more than a few points with Oiler fans today.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:24 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
LOL, after the last game he was crucified on here.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:24 PM
joestevens29

I like it, now does this continue is the question.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Beerfish

If he sticks to this and is consistent then great, he talks a great game, we shall see. In the end he will be judged on one thing as all coaches are, wins and playoff appearances.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:45 PM
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
If he sticks to this and is consistent then great, he talks a great game, we shall see. In the end he will be judged on one thing as all coaches are, wins and playoff appearances.
That's just as much on Tambo, at least when the roster is full of holes.

runeeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by runeeres View Post
That's just as much on Tambo, at least when the roster is full of holes.
If i look at a team and they lose and I feel that they have played as good as they can I am fine with that. If I see other teams with much less physical talent winning and the Oilers losing I am not fine with that. Each year there are about 3 or 4 teams you look at and say 'How the hell are they winning with that lineup?'

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
I, for one, have been waiting for this type of attitude in this organization for a very long time. Having ALL players equally accountable to the same standard can do nothing but positive things for everything moving forward, including the development of the kids as the future leaders for this team.

Good job, Ralph, I'm sure you scored more than a few points with Oiler fans today.
Talk is cheap.

How many games has Potter played this year?

Bergeron47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:47 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Talk is cheap.

How many games has Potter played this year?
Eight.

At some point Potter or Whitney have to play.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:49 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Eight.

At some point Potter or Whitney have to play.
When Peckham becomes healthy I wouldn't be surprised if Potter sits.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:50 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
When Peckham becomes healthy I wouldn't be surprised if Potter sits.
I also wouldn't be surprised to see Fistric sit again at some point.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I also wouldn't be surprised to see Fistric sit again at some point.
Lots of guys will be in and out. It has been that way all year. It is just an issue now because Smyth is out tonight.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote