Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Superbowlfishca

vCash: 500
Sask First Zone 1 Male Bantam Tryout Estevan

Watched both days and tryout was pretty high end and competitive. The team will be very strong in 5 of 6 D positions and decently strong at forward. Real weakness will be in goal as Carter Phair from Estevan was injured and did not tryout and no other goalie really stood out. I predict this team will compete for top four positions at provincials.
Predicted Team:
Defense
Dawson Davidson MelvilleAA
Jeff Faith ND AAA
Blake Dempsey Weyburn AA
Kale Fleury ND AAA
Ryan Roberts, Prairie Storm
Aaron Roth, Kipling Royals

Forward(goals In Brackets)
Jared Legien, Praire Storm,(5)
Brady Third, ND AAA,(4)
Taylor Ross, ND AAA, (4)
Tyran Brown, ND AAA,(3)
Marshal Wilton Prairie Storm,(0)
Caleb Riess, Melvill AA, (6)
Drayson Skulmoski, Melville AAA,(3)
Colton Winton, Estevan AA, (7)
Peyton Stevenson, Estevan AA,(3)
Kolten Ganson, Estevan AA, (3)
Carson Harcourt, Kipling Royals,(3)
Conner Maclean, ND AA(1)

Goal
Nicholas Cuthbert, Weyburn AA, Talen King, Prairie Storm AA

Predicted Zone Order of Finish

Old
02-12-2013, 03:47 PM
lefthook

any word on other zones ? anybody go watch

Old
02-14-2013, 03:15 PM
Hockeynoitall

Notre Dame AAA Bantams 2013-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbowlfishca View Post
It is difficult and lots can change but here is a few I have noticed in the South: Derrick Budz,Jake Kustra,Tyler Stratechuk,Logan Foster – Yorkton, Carson Sass, Austin Johnson -Melville, Tristen Deroose, Luke Niemengers – Weyburn, Eamon Milligan, Tanner & Tyson Manz – Prairie Storm, Chanz Petruic –MJ, Brayden Pachal, Josh Skjonsby – Estevan, Hunter McDonald, Issacc Sandomirsky, Mathew Chekay, Tyler Ludwar – Regina. Tyde Huchinson, Caleb Stevenson - Swift Current.
Has anyone heard who is comitted or who is potentially going to Notre Dame next year for AAA Bantam from Saskatchewan? Again this will have some bearing on where teams are going to be projected to finish in the standings.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:14 AM
Superbowlfishca

RE ND Commit

Some on this list have explored ND but none are 100% committed yet that i have heard.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Hockeynoitall

Notre Dame 2013-2014

Quote:
Some on this list have explored ND but none are 100% committed yet that i have heard.
Ya it is still probably early yet. But heard rumours of Kustra, Foster(Yorkton) and Pachal(Estevan) from the south have been approached by ND. Petruik has been approached but is not interested. Not to sure on the rest. If indeed they do go Yorkton will definately miss them as they were a important part of the AA Peewee Team that dominated the province last year. See what happens I guess.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:00 PM
goteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook View Post
any word on other zones ? anybody go watch
I heard only 4 or 5 players from Northeast made Zone 8. Aren't they one of the top 2 teams in the province this year? The rest of the roster is from PA supposedly. I wasn't there only heard from someone who heard from someone so I could be wrong.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:53 PM
nosoup

Some of the NE players are in Zone 5 due to where the zone boundaries fall.

link to zone rosters:

http://www.sha.sk.ca/images/Sask_Fir...antam_2013.pdf

Old
02-18-2013, 12:53 PM
mrbodangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynoitall View Post
Ya it is still probably early yet. But heard rumours of Kustra, Foster(Yorkton) and Pachal(Estevan) from the south have been approached by ND. Petruik has been approached but is not interested. Not to sure on the rest. If indeed they do go Yorkton will definately miss them as they were a important part of the AA Peewee Team that dominated the province last year. See what happens I guess.
Got a chance to see the this yr ND bantam team recently .
Average at best .AAA midget teams are average since the league
limited the player transfer from team to team , perhaps
the dynasty is over .

Old
02-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Hockeynoitall

NotreDame AAA bantam Vrs. Sask Bantam AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbodangles View Post
Got a chance to see the this yr ND bantam team recently .
Average at best .AAA midget teams are average since the league
limited the player transfer from team to team , perhaps
the dynasty is over .
Can someone shares some light on this topic. There are some obvious differences. The AAA team is to be the cream of the crop getting the best coaching, tonnes of ice time amd great schooling. But playing against AA midgets? Not intirely sold on the idea.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Superbowlfishca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynoitall View Post
Can someone shares some light on this topic. There are some obvious differences. The AAA team is to be the cream of the crop getting the best coaching, tonnes of ice time amd great schooling. But playing against AA midgets? Not intirely sold on the idea.

I have had the chance to see this team play three times this year. Not entirely sure what a previous poster means by “average at best”. The team is big and highly skilled. They currently reside in first place and have two kids Kaden Elder and Dillon Dube in the top ten in scoring. Link is http://www.esportsdesk.com/leagues/f...leagueID=17228.

Its 14 year olds playing against 17 year olds and size is a huge factor. Dillon Dube and Kale Fluery on this team are not big players(prob 5’4-5’5 and maybe 130 lbs) but in the games I saw they were very good. Mainly because they skate exceptionally well and are very smart high skilled players. Most of the other players are very big for their age and so from what I saw in the games I watched size was a non issue. Is this an ideal situation for the ND program?? I think the powers that be there would say no it is not. But I think if they want to play in a league in Sask where the standings count this is their only option. I have heard they are exploring the possibility of entering the Manitoba Bantam AAA league but it would mean a lot more travel for all and would more than likely get shot down by that league.

Last year the team was poor in the Midget AA league finishing in the bottom part of the standings. In previous years they played exhibition games against the Bantam AA Saskatchewan teams but would dominate those games to the point that it did not do themselves or the teams they played much good. The team really gears up for about four or five Bantam AAA tournaments each year and this year they did very well in all the events they played in and are one of the top ranked bantam teams in Western Canada.

A previous poster is very correct in saying the new rules instituted by Sask Midget triple A have hurt ND. It does surround the transfer issue but I am not sure of the details and how this has specifically hurt their program? Maybe someone can give some specifics as to what has caused them to be less competitive as a result? I do know one thing that if they can somehow keep most of the current Bantam AAA group together they will be a great Sask Midget AAA team in the future.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:05 PM
SaskRinkRat

Quote:
A previous poster is very correct in saying the new rules instituted by Sask Midget triple A have hurt ND. It does surround the transfer issue but I am not sure of the details and how this has specifically hurt their program? Maybe someone can give some specifics as to what has caused them to be less competitive as a result? I do know one thing that if they can somehow keep most of the current Bantam AAA group together they will be a great Sask Midget AAA team in the future.
ND has two Midget AAA teams - Hounds and Argos. Before the transfer rule came into effect, they used to be able to shuffle players back and forth between the two teams at will, allowing them to stack one team at the beginning of each season, and leave their younger, developing players on the other team (sort of like a farm system).

Since the transfer rule came in, a player assigned to one of the two teams has to stay with that team for the rest of their Midget AAA career (at least that is the case as I understand it). This means that they can't stack one team anymore.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:45 PM
mrbodangles

Quote:
I have had the chance to see this team play three times this year. Not entirely sure what a previous poster means by “average at best”. The team is big and highly skilled. They currently reside in first place and have two kids Kaden Elder and Dillon Dube in the top ten in scoring. Link is http://www.esportsdesk.com/leagues/f...leagueID=17228.

Its 14 year olds playing against 17 year olds and size is a huge factor. Dillon Dube and Kale Fluery on this team are not big players(prob 5’4-5’5 and maybe 130 lbs) but in the games I saw they were very good. Mainly because they skate exceptionally well and are very smart high skilled players. Most of the other players are very big for their age and so from what I saw in the games I watched size was a non issue. Is this an ideal situation for the ND program?? I think the powers that be there would say no it is not. But I think if they want to play in a league in Sask where the standings count this is their only option. I have heard they are exploring the possibility of entering the Manitoba Bantam AAA league but it would mean a lot more travel for all and would more than likely get shot down by that league.

Last year the team was poor in the Midget AA league finishing in the bottom part of the standings. In previous years they played exhibition games against the Bantam AA Saskatchewan teams but would dominate those games to the point that it did not do themselves or the teams they played much good. The team really gears up for about four or five Bantam AAA tournaments each year and this year they did very well in all the events they played in and are one of the top ranked bantam teams in Western Canada.

I was referring to the team playing in the sbaahl league

Old
02-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Superbowlfishca

Thanks for update on ND MidgetAAA Rinkrat that makes sense. And mrbodangles yes i agree the ND Bantam AA team is average. One kid, Burke Johnson, from that team made sask first in Zone 1. He would replace Conner mcClean who i had on my list and who also plays for ND Bantam AAs. Some weyburn politics went into picking this team!

This just in from WEHP: "One of the top ’99 born defenceman from Saskatchewan(yorkton) – Jake Kustra, will join the Notre Dame Hounds for the 13-14 season."
I hope WEHP is not up mixing up this commitment cause i know he is playing on a spring 99 aged team ND is putting together.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:34 PM
Hockeynoitall

Quote:
Thanks for update on ND MidgetAAA Rinkrat that makes sense. And mrbodangles yes i agree the ND Bantam AA team is average. One kid, Burke Johnson, from that team made sask first in Zone 1. He would replace Conner mcClean who i had on my list and who also plays for ND Bantam AAs. Some weyburn politics went into picking this team!

This just in from WEHP: "One of the top ’99 born defenceman from Saskatchewan(yorkton) – Jake Kustra, will join the Notre Dame Hounds for the 13-14 season."
I hope WEHP is not up mixing up this commitment cause i know he is playing on a spring 99 aged team ND is putting together.
He is indeed playing with the ND spring team but also just committed to ND for next year. This is correct. Has anyone heard of other players going next year?

Old
02-22-2013, 08:53 PM
mrbodangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskRinkRat View Post
ND has two Midget AAA teams - Hounds and Argos. Before the transfer rule came into effect, they used to be able to shuffle players back and forth between the two teams at will, allowing them to stack one team at the beginning of each season, and leave their younger, developing players on the other team (sort of like a farm system).

Since the transfer rule came in, a player assigned to one of the two teams has to stay with that team for the rest of their Midget AAA career (at least that is the case as I understand it). This means that they can't stack one team anymore.
nice to see this transfer rule as it finally makes a fairer league .
long overdue .

Old
02-26-2013, 02:01 AM
redtitan20

Are there really GSHL Allstar games this weekend in Saskatoon? Why? Especially during playoffs?!?

Old
02-26-2013, 02:23 PM
nosoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtitan20 View Post
Are there really GSHL Allstar games this weekend in Saskatoon? Why? Especially during playoffs?!?
I find it amusing that 1/3 of the players in that league are "All stars"

Old
02-27-2013, 12:53 PM
redtitan20

GSHL All Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoup View Post
nosoup, that was a little harsh. I was asking why the GSHL felt it necessary to hold peewee and bantam all star games, especially during playoffs? I dont think we should be hackin on the kids who were selected.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:01 PM
SaskRinkRat

Quote:
Simple math. The league has 6 teams, an allstar game takes two teams, 2 / 6 = 33%. Why is it amusing?

Old
02-27-2013, 03:24 PM
nosoup

Quote:
nosoup, that was a little harsh. I was asking why the GSHL felt it necessary to hold peewee and bantam all star games, especially during playoffs? I dont think we should be hackin on the kids who were selected.
Not hacking on the kids at all, I think the league is hacking on the kids they didn't select to be an "all star". What's the point? Aren't Zones teams enough? At least there is a point to them. Seems like an ego stroke at the expense of the other kids on the team, no?

When they drop to 4 teams next year will they still have an "all-star" game where 1/2 the kids compete? At what point does it enter the realm of the ridiculous?

I guess that's why it amuses me, I think it has crossed that line into being ridiculous at 1/3. But that's my opinion.

I do not have a kid in this league by the way so I have no axe to grind here

Old
02-27-2013, 03:58 PM
redtitan20

GSHL All Stars

Quote:
Not hacking on the kids at all, I think the league is hacking on the kids they didn't select to be an "all star". What's the point? Aren't Zones teams enough? At least there is a point to them. Seems like an ego stroke at the expense of the other kids on the team, no?
I do not have a kid in this league by the way so I have no axe to grind here
thanks for the clarification - I totally agree with your expanded comments. the games do seem to be an ego stroke at the expense of kids, made even more ridiculous by staging a peewee all star game not involving all teams in the league. the selections can be debated forever, who really cares? the decision to play the games in the first place, and then during playoffs, is what is the most puzzling. i can't imagine scouts would be interested, with other leagues in playoffs, and it would be terrible if an 'all star' was accidentally hurt playing a game with 'no point'....

Old
02-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Hockeynoitall

Notre Dame 2013-2014

Quote:
thanks for the clarification - I totally agree with your expanded comments. the games do seem to be an ego stroke at the expense of kids, made even more ridiculous by staging a peewee all star game not involving all teams in the league. the selections can be debated forever, who really cares? the decision to play the games in the first place, and then during playoffs, is what is the most puzzling. i can't imagine scouts would be interested, with other leagues in playoffs, and it would be terrible if an 'all star' was accidentally hurt playing a game with 'no point'....
Just confirmed today they Jake Kustra and Logan Foster have committed to Notre Dame for next year.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:53 PM
mrbodangles

beardys

If attending a Beardys AAA camp be sure to ask them about
aboriginal player guidelines .I believe 1/2 their team needs to be
aboriginal .

Old
03-07-2013, 09:27 AM
coach kleats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbodangles View Post
If attending a Beardys AAA camp be sure to ask them about
aboriginal player guidelines .I believe 1/2 their team needs to be
aboriginal .
I am not sure why this is 'news'? They have always had a local content that they had to follow.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:29 AM
coach kleats

Playoffs

We are winding down in Sask Bantam playoffs. I see the GSHL is in thier final series with the Generals and the Maniacs going for the title. Has anyone been out to watch any games that can provide feedback?

Closed Thread