HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Habs need a heavyweight enforcer?

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Matt Kassian on waivers from Minnesota?
Yes 86 74.78%
No 29 25.22%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2013, 03:59 PM
  #26
HankyZetts
Twi2ted
 
HankyZetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If Prust and Moen are not heavyweights then neither is Neil or Thornton or Fraser(WTF??) or McCormick(LMAO) or McQuaid(who was spanked by White and weighs like 190lbs). Lucic is a heavyweight but doesn't fight like one, he usually fight either non fighters or smaller guys. Chara barely ever fights, it would be like lising Gill as a Nashville "heavyweight".

It would be nice to have a big monster to pound the crap out of Orr, but the division is not full of "hevyweights".
White beat Boychuk. McQuaid is a sick fighter.

HankyZetts is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:06 PM
  #27
Rick16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If Prust and Moen are not heavyweights then neither is Neil or Thornton or Fraser(WTF??) or McCormick(LMAO) or McQuaid(who was spanked by White and weighs like 190lbs). Lucic is a heavyweight but doesn't fight like one, he usually fight either non fighters or smaller guys. Chara barely ever fights, it would be like lising Gill as a Nashville "heavyweight".

It would be nice to have a big monster to pound the crap out of Orr, but the division is not full of "hevyweights".
Prust is 6' and 185 pounds, barely a middleweight and moen seems to not be willing to fight anymore

Rick16 is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:07 PM
  #28
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,727
vCash: 500
you can't go " team toughness" without tough guy.

bud12 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:09 PM
  #29
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
White beat Boychuk. McQuaid is a sick fighter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLPSBhQEjl0

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:10 PM
  #30
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick16 View Post
Prust is 6' and 185 pounds, barely a middleweight and moen seems to not be willing to fight anymore
http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/roster/_...real-canadiens

I don't think he is 6'2" but the weight on others looks updated so 195lbs.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:10 PM
  #31
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
losing a fight is now referred to as 'spanking' the other guy? Okay.

overlords is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:10 PM
  #32
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If Prust and Moen are not heavyweights then neither is Neil or Thornton or Fraser(WTF??) or McCormick(LMAO) or McQuaid(who was spanked by White and weighs like 190lbs). Lucic is a heavyweight but doesn't fight like one, he usually fight either non fighters or smaller guys. Chara barely ever fights, it would be like lising Gill as a Nashville "heavyweight".

It would be nice to have a big monster to pound the crap out of Orr, but the division is not full of "hevyweights".
light-heavyweight . But why you compare them to Prust and Moen? They are better fighters

bud12 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:11 PM
  #33
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,930
vCash: 500
The gap between an enforcer and Armstrong isn't significant enough to dismiss the idea outright. I am for getting tougher. I am a true believer in having multiple dimensions to a hockey team. There will be nights when the skilled guys are off and aren't getting it done and a spark with a tough guy wouldn't hurt anymore than rolling Armstrong out there, and who knows, maybe it will help, maybe it won't, but I'd give it a shot.

Watching the habs get rag dolled is embarrassing and frustrating to players like gorges ect who have to defend themselves in positions they should never be in.

Get one and get one now. Time to start playing with a team mentality, these guys bring each other closer together, it may be difficult to quantify the impact, but there is no way it could hurt. Colby Armstrong brings no elements that would be missed, he's terrible.

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:11 PM
  #34
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
losing a fight is now referred to as 'spanking' the other guy? Okay.
What legit "hevyweights" has he fought and beaten?

Being 6'5" doesn't make you a heavyweight.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:14 PM
  #35
Rick16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/roster/_...real-canadiens

I don't think he is 6'2" but the weight on others looks updated so 195lbs.
Okk sorry, the stats I posted were from nhl.com. Either way, he's still barely a middleweight. Thornton and co. are light heavyweights + they're very good fighters unlike prust, moen and armstrong.

Rick16 is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:15 PM
  #36
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
The gap between an enforcer and Armstrong isn't significant enough to dismiss the idea outright. I am for getting tougher. I am a true believer in having multiple dimensions to a hockey team. There will be nights when the skilled guys are off and aren't getting it done and a spark with a tough guy wouldn't hut anymore than rolling Armstrong out there, and who knows maybe it will help, maybe it won't, but I'd give a ****.

Watching the habs get rag dolled is embarrassing and frustrating to players like gorges ect who have to defend themselves in positions they should never be in.

Get one and get one now.
That's like saying Toronto has a panzy team having to send Grabovsky after Prust to get clocked.

...or Boston having a panzy team since Krejci was the one trying to "take care" of Pouliot.

Even if you have 3 250lbs heavyweights on the 4th line, if the other team sends Orr after Plekanec, they won't be there to "jump in" unless the jump off the bench.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:15 PM
  #37
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What legit "hevyweights" has he fought and beaten?

Being 6'5" doesn't make you a heavyweight.
I'm not sure if you're quoting the wrong person here, and I'm generally against the idea of getting some big useless plug who does nothing but fight the other teams' enforcers, but you were straight up wrong in saying that white spanked mcquaid. Just calling a spade a spade.

overlords is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:16 PM
  #38
HankyZetts
Twi2ted
 
HankyZetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I forgot about that fight, thanks. No way White "spanked" him though, but he did hold his own.

HankyZetts is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:17 PM
  #39
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick16 View Post
Okk sorry, the stats I posted were from nhl.com. Either way, he's still barely a middleweight. Thornton and co. are light heavyweights + they're very good fighters unlike prust, moen and armstrong.
Moen is 218lbs and can hold his own with pretty much anybody, but he doesn't fight for no reason.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:18 PM
  #40
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'm not sure if you're quoting the wrong person here, and I'm generally against the idea of getting some big useless plug who does nothing but fight the other teams' enforcers, but you were straight up wrong in saying that white spanked mcquaid. Just calling a spade a spade.
I got the fights confused, but Mcquaid is far from a feared fighter, taht fight was pretty even until Mcquaid lost his jersey at which point while had little to grab(Rob Ray technique).

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:19 PM
  #41
Rick16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Moen is 218lbs and can hold his own with pretty much anybody, but he doesn't fight for no reason.
If last saturday night was not a good enough reason for him to fight, I wonder what it is going to take

Rick16 is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:21 PM
  #42
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
If we bring in a heavyweight, would it not spell the end for White? Is there room on a team for a goon, plus White, plus Prust? At a certain point aren't we making redundancies?

I'm not being rhetorical, I'd like to know what kind of roster shuffling we'd have to do to accomodate the addition of a heavy like Kassian.
White is a centre that can easy play on a 4th line. A heavyweight will not take is spot. If you want a tough team, you need multiple tough guy, not just 1 or 2. White toughness is a bonus. If you want to switch him with a softy, we will be at the same point than before

bud12 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:22 PM
  #43
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick16 View Post
If last saturday night was not a good enough reason for him to fight, I wonder what it is going to take
What did you want him to do jump off the bench?

Orr was kicked out for 12 minutes and McLaren for 5 minutes at 15:01. There was no reason for him to fight before that.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:23 PM
  #44
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
If we bring in a heavyweight, would it not spell the end for White? Is there room on a team for a goon, plus White, plus Prust? At a certain point aren't we making redundancies?

I'm not being rhetorical, I'd like to know what kind of roster shuffling we'd have to do to accomodate the addition of a heavy like Kassian.
I think this is a key that can't be overlooked. We can argue all we want that Armstrong is not playing like somebody who is any clear cut above a plug goon. But does anybody think that Therrien is going to give his blessing to waiving Armstrong? Is White so irreparably lodged in the doghouse that you waive him... and how much of the purpose is served if you waive White anyway?

Trading Kaberle would help, but it's not clear that's going to be possible. A long term injury might come along too. Who knows.

At this time, though, there's just not a real way we can add the goon. There isn't room on the roster. We can speculate on guys to acquire, but have to realize that it can be nothing imminent. And who knows, once we start playing some other teams again and the ignominy of the Leafs game fades somewhat, perhaps it will seem less important again.

Tinordi is coming, the team can be looking at drafting some bigger tougher guys again too, and looking via free agency... I'd look at the size/toughness issue as just one more aspect of the overall building process. The team has to get better. Which in some degree likely includes getting tougher. Adding Prust was one step. There will be more steps taken, however. It doesn't all have to be today. I don't want to see any more Laraque mistakes, or give up assets for a plug player. Do it right, even if there isn't immediate gratification involved.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:24 PM
  #45
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,769
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
White is a centre that can easy play on a 4th line. A heavyweight will not take is spot. If you want a tough team, you need multiple tough guy, not just 1 or 2. White toughness is a bonus. If you want to switch him with a softy, we will be at the same point than before
Okay, but that's still not answering the question. It's fine to say "get this guy" or "get that guy" but you can't add a body without shipping one out. So where does it start?

And if you keep White, are you comfortable with tying up 3 roster spots in forwards who will score maybe a combined 15 goals in an 82 game season? Are our other forwards consistent enough threats offensively that we can afford to do that? The shakey starts of Patches, DD, Cole and Gionta this year say no, it would seem.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:24 PM
  #46
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
That's like saying Toronto has a panzy team having to send Grabovsky after Prust to get clocked.

...or Boston having a panzy team since Krejci was the one trying to "take care" of Pouliot.

Even if you have 3 250lbs heavyweights on the 4th line, if the other team sends Orr after Plekanec, they won't be there to "jump in" unless the jump off the bench.
Pleks, gio and co shouldn't have been on the ice at that time. We don't have any options to combat anything like this, we keep rolling the skill guys hoping them will get out of the funk. Gally, gally, gio, gorges, subban, need someone to mix it up for them when things get out of hand.

Those runs at our players take place because there is zero chance of us doing anything about it. Colby Armstrong is garbage, replacing him with garbage that can fight won't hurt a thing.

Pouliot and kreci are equal in the pansy department.

As far as your comment on grabs, I have no idea what you are talking about, that's grabs style, he'll do those things everywhere with anyone, he's fearless.

Getting a tough guy will not hurt a dman thing.

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:25 PM
  #47
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Moen is 218lbs and can hold his own with pretty much anybody, but he doesn't fight for no reason.
no he can't and the best guy he fighted is Thornton and it was a wresling boring fight.

bud12 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:26 PM
  #48
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Okay, but that's still not answering the question. It's fine to say "get this guy" or "get that guy" but you can't add a body without shipping one out. So where does it start?
Nokoleinen and Armstrong

bud12 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:27 PM
  #49
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I got the fights confused, but Mcquaid is far from a feared fighter, taht fight was pretty even until Mcquaid lost his jersey at which point while had little to grab(Rob Ray technique).
Ah, you confused him with boychuk? Fair enough. That was a beating.

overlords is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:27 PM
  #50
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Pleks, gio and co shouldn't have been on the ice at that time. We don't have any options to combat anything like this, we keep rolling the skill guys hoping them will get out of the funk. Gally, gally, gio, gorges, subban, need someone to mix it up for them when things get out of hand.

Those runs at our players take place because there is zero chance of us doing anything about it. Colby Armstrong is garbage, replacing him with garbage that can fight won't hurt a thing.

Pouliot and kreci are equal in the pansy department.

As far as your comment on grabs, I have no idea what you are talking about, that's grabs style, he'll do those things everywhere with anyone, he's fearless.

Getting a tough guy will not hurt a dman thing.
So nobody takes runs or dirty hits at Bruin players? You should tell Marchand and Bregeron that.

Monctonscout is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.