HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Would you be angry if Tavares asked out after this year?

View Poll Results: Would you be angry if Tavares asked out after this year?
Yes - he signed the deal he knew what he was getting into 54 51.92%
No - multiple reasons 50 48.08%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Would you be angry if Tavares asked out after this year?

Watching this team is frustrating for us fans. Imagine how it is for some of the players. If someone like JT (who took a HUGE discount IMO for the team) finally had enough with the ineptitude of this organization and just wanted to win, would you blame him for holding out and/or demanding a trade?

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:19 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
No I would not. In fact, I would buy his jersey for whichever team he joined and I would continue to root for him his entire career. He deserves better than this.

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:19 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Do we really need another "woe is Tavares" thread?

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:20 PM
startainfection

he wanted to be this teams yzerman, yzerman didn't get the red wings anywhere for a long time and he is expecting the same while hoping for better

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:26 PM
DPSNAGS

Listen to JTs interview from about a week ago with Hockey Central i believe...its on the isles website....i believe thats all youll need to hear to answer this question....IMO he wants to be the man to take this team back...if were not there after his contract then yeah but we got at least 3-4 years IMO to make things work

DPSNAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:26 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
Watching this team is frustrating for us fans. Imagine how it is for some of the players. If someone like JT (who took a HUGE discount IMO for the team) finally had enough with the ineptitude of this organization and just wanted to win, would you blame him for holding out and/or demanding a trade?
I don't think Tavares/Brisson are the type to let this out publicly. If they aren't having discussions with Snow/Charles about the state of the team and John's frustrations then I'd be shocked.

I seriously doubt these guys would have signed long term if they felt the team would be run into the ground, which is looking that way now. And it's not like they have any real leverage, but Tavares is NOT just any other player. He's no Nino (no disrespect intended), his words and actions carry a lot of weight.

His leadership on and off the ice is Gretzky-like.

You don't want to mess with your only remaining asset.

But this is the New York Islanders.
Common sense may not apply.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:28 PM
OlTimeHockey

Yzerman had an owner who spent on talent on ice and off and Yzerman's owner stole Devellano to make Stevie's team much, much better, drafting while signing and trading to get the Wings competing. The team was only horrible the first few years Ilitch owned the team until Ilitch saw an empty arena and decided to make things work.

Our ahole owner solves an empty arena with bobbleheads.

Look at the additions to DRW from 1983-1989. Look at their drafting after Jimmy D came on board.

And now tell me they didn't see a problem and fix it fast and competently.

To the question....I will just keep rooting for them but watch more hockey elsewhere to find happiness. JT hopefully becomes a Wing or Blue or Oiler. I can watch those guys easily.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:30 PM
scott99

Tavares doesn't seem to be that type of player. Maybe 2 more years down the road, he may get pissed off and wanna leave, but not yet. Also, I believe last nights face palm by Tavares may have to do with his own failure. He seems the type that gets mad at himself for not getting the tying goal. Also I believe he made a bad pass leading to the empty net goal. One of the things that makes Tavares so great, is his never give up attitude.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:35 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

It's a real shame how much this team has worn on the fans. How could you NOT be angry/upset if Tavares asked for a trade? Of course I feel terrible for him and he deserves better, but him asking for a trade would go against every bit of the character that he built up from the age of 14. I would be angry - whether that anger is directed towards the management for mentally ruining a great young talent or whether it is to the player himself - I would be angry.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:51 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Come on guys, Tavares would never do that and you all know it. Yeah, life sucks right now yet there are better days on the horizon and you must think he's repeating that in his head over and over right now.

This kid wants to be great and nothing short of that will be acceptable to him. He also knows that this is his team and he has the opportunity to be the alpha dog to lead this team back. He'll get exponentially more respect if he does it that way rather than jumping ship to another team at this stage of his career. He wants his face on Hockey's Mount Rushmore and you don't get that by taking the easy path.

Let's discuss this in 5 years when his contract draws to an end. Otherwise, this is just huge overreaction. He's one of the few things that we shouldn't have to worry about and he's never given us one reason to doubt his word and his resolve.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Come on guys, Tavares would never do that and you all know it. Yeah, life sucks right now yet there are better days on the horizon and you must think he's repeating that in his head over and over right now.
That's been a broken record for awhile now PW. It just sucks.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:58 PM
StrongIslanders90

Taylor Hall picked 1st overall one year after has never seen his team improve in the standings....

Tavares has.

Th only way I see Johnny wanting out is if by the time they are playing in Brookyln not big moves or attempts to ice a competitive team have been made...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:00 PM
macleod50

Not a chance he does that.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:06 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
That's been a broken record for awhile now PW. It just sucks.
I know it has, I know. Yet, I'm still a die hard fan of this team. It's part of who I am and I'm proud of it.

We're moving to the Barclay's Center in a couple of years. It very well could be sooner than that, but we'll have to see. That doesn't solve all of our problems, but it definitely eliminates at least a couple of things we don't have to worry about. We have a loaded prospect system and while that's no guarantee, I like that we have multiple options at key positions - improving our odds. If anything at all, we'll have more talent on the ice rather than the collection of waiver wire/AHL fodder/over the hill vets.

It's always darkest before the dawn. I truly believe that.

Ask the Pens fans and Chicago fans. While our rebuild has no guarantee that we'll follow in their footsteps, but hope is there.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Taylor Hall picked 1st overall one year after has never seen his team improve in the standings....

Tavares has.

Th only way I see Johnny wanting out is if by the time they are playing in Brookyln not big moves or attempts to ice a competitive team have been made...
Agreed. I think Brooklyn (and hopefully the end of Wang's ownership to come with it) is the light at the end of the tunnel. If things are still the same two or three seasons into Brooklyn, which I seriously doubt they will be, he will want out.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post

Tavares has.

Taylor Hall also has a better cast of teammates (quality wise) and Edmonton looks to be making bigger strides this year than the Isles have the past 4-5 years.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:12 PM
PJGooch

This pity party has gotten ridiculous.

Maybe we should all chip in and get John a cookie platter. I mean, people here seem to think he's got the maturity of a 12-year-old. Take him to Carvel after Thursday's game? There's one only about two minutes from IceWorks.

It's funny that some want to elevate him to captain yet hold him in such disregard that they think he's going to turn coat upon lack of team success.

Last edited by PJGooch: 02-12-2013 at 03:25 PM.
PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Tavares2TheRescue
#FireCapuano

Yes I'd be angry but I wouldn't really blame him.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:30 PM
bvon44

I'd be pissed if John asked to be traded, but, I wouldn't blame him in the least. I'd probably do the same thing in his position. You have to put yourself in a position to succeed. John is a competitor, its obvious he wants to win but that's certainly not going to happen here.

bvon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
This is a nonsense thread and we need to stop with these hypothetical questions.

Tavares is not a punk junior HS kid

He is an adult and a professional and above all else he has a Brand. His image is what makes him money on top of his playing on the ice. No one wants to hire a cry baby who demands to be traded to be the spokesperson for there brand.

TYou never heard Don Mattingly ask to be traded when the Yankees were under Steinbrenners reign especially during seasons 1988-1991 (before he was banned from Baseball) Some if not most of you are too young to remember just how putrid the Yankees were. The only reason to go to the game was to watch Donnie Baseball.

Back to Hockey...

Tavares knows not mess up a good thing, No one will respect him if he cries to the media demanding to be traded because we are awful. Its a character issue.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:33 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvon44 View Post
I'd be pissed if John asked to be traded, but, I wouldn't blame him in the least. I'd probably do the same thing in his position. You have to put yourself in a position to succeed. John is a competitor, its obvious he wants to win but that's certainly not going to happen here.
It would be a short conversation. Regardless of what he wants, he cant force a trade without going real low.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:37 PM
PJGooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
This is a nonsense thread and we need to stop with these hypothetical questions.

He is an adult and a professional and above all else he has a Brand. His image is what makes him money on top of his playing on the ice. No one wants to hire a cry baby who demands to be traded to be the spokesperson for there brand.

TYou never heard Don Mattingly ask to be traded when the Yankees were under Steinbrenners reign especially during seasons 1988-1991 (before he was banned from Baseball) Some if not most of you are too young to remember just how putrid the Yankees were. The only reason to go to the game was to watch Donnie Baseball.

You mean Donnie Baseball didn't love playing behind Andy Hawkins and taking throws from Alvaro Espinoza?

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:42 PM
xECK29x

I hate this place...really guys?

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:47 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post

Back to Hockey...

Tavares knows not mess up a good thing, No one will respect him if he cries to the media demanding to be traded because we are awful. Its a character issue.
Love the Donnie Baseball comparison. I remember those teams, ouch. It always pissed me off that every game that I went to, Rick Rhoden would be on the mound. I never got to Rasmussen when he was excellent for that one season. Steve Balboni? Oh lord.

I also love the point about being a brand. It's one thing to play in the NHL, it's an entirely different thing to be the undisputed face of a franchise at his age. The Isles brand is diminished almost beyond repair, but his brand is what is keeping this team relevant. Despite all the crap that we've had to endure, his presence alone keeps me interested in the team. He signed up for this and he knew it wasn't going to be easy.

He has the chance to do something legendary and he should be well aware of it. I remember when he was drafted, someone asked him if his goal was to score 50 his rookie season. He pretty much dodged the landmine question, but he remarked about how he didn't want to put a limit to anything. That was very telling because he saw the big picture then.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post

You mean Donnie Baseball didn't love playing behind Andy Hawkins and taking throws from Alvaro Espinoza?
OR HAVING TO BE TOLD TO CUT HIS HAIR ON TOP OF ALL THAT. Who can forget the ultimate closer - Eric Plunk. Not once did Don Mattingly bash the team, Not once did he bash management. He got his hair cut and he played the game.

John Tavares is the same kind of athlete and the same kind of professional. Better times are ahead.. Keep on winning.

Can we close this thread please????

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote