Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2013, 03:46 PM
JL17

vCash: 500
Did everyone give up this afternoon???

I was following the game sheet and wondering if Crisp was going to get another shot in net...

nevermind he didn't play.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:01 AM
KnightSpit

Thought It Was A Joke !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
Did everyone give up this afternoon???

I was following the game sheet and wondering if Crisp was going to get another shot in net...

nevermind he didn't play.
JL17

I thought you were joking about the score, until I read the summary. Wow this is no joke but just a really bad, sad state of affairs. Too bad, make no mistake, if this continues next year, McDavid even the class act that he is, will want out, or demand a trade, I mean the kid just has too much to lose and needs to develop on at least a team that makes the playoffs. How do you blow it up and start from scratch again, when you just did that a few months ago, by getting a new coach and making trades? How Erie thinks bringing in D, who are a career Minus 50, is going to help is beyond me. Wow, I thought the Spits were in trouble, but not even close and you guys still get the fans to show up. Kind of like Toronto, where no matter what the product the people still come out. Good luck hope you turn it around.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:49 PM
ottergolfer

Otters snap a 7 game losing streak with a 7-4 win over the gens.
first win in Oshawa since 2006 ?

big games by former generals J P labardo and J mcdowell

nice to hear a happy recap from Roper for a change

Old
02-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
JL17

I thought you were joking about the score, until I read the summary. Wow this is no joke but just a really bad, sad state of affairs. Too bad, make no mistake, if this continues next year, McDavid even the class act that he is, will want out, or demand a trade, I mean the kid just has too much to lose and needs to develop on at least a team that makes the playoffs. How do you blow it up and start from scratch again, when you just did that a few months ago, by getting a new coach and making trades? How Erie thinks bringing in D, who are a career Minus 50, is going to help is beyond me. Wow, I thought the Spits were in trouble, but not even close and you guys still get the fans to show up. Kind of like Toronto, where no matter what the product the people still come out. Good luck hope you turn it around.
Kind of like Toronto? 6-0 baby, you're not a Habbies fan are you?!?!?

Old
02-12-2013, 01:20 PM
SDRFAOBFH1

Sherri is still wondering what to about the goalies. He messed it up at the start of the season and now the team is paying for it! As always he made the wrong choices by listening to PS again. Looks good on ya SB, your so full of BS.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:50 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRFAOBFH1 View Post
Sherri is still wondering what to about the goalies. He messed it up at the start of the season and now the team is paying for it! As always he made the wrong choices by listening to PS again. Looks good on ya SB, your so full of BS.
What do you mean Bassin messed up with the goalies? He brought in Dansk who was a highly touted net minder that went 31st overall in the NHL draft, and also has Williams as the back up who will be a top rated goalie going into the 2014 NHL draft. Bassin has made his mistakes defensively but not with goaltending.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Otters Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
What do you mean Bassin messed up with the goalies? He brought in Dansk who was a highly touted net minder that went 31st overall in the NHL draft, and also has Williams as the back up who will be a top rated goalie going into the 2014 NHL draft. Bassin has made his mistakes defensively but not with goaltending.
I agree 100%. I have no clue how someone can say our goalies suck. If anything if they had not played as good as they have we would be lucky to have 10 wins

Old
02-14-2013, 09:34 AM
SDRFAOBFH1

Who said the goalies suck? Re read the post!

The last 2 loses make my point! PERIOD...

Old
02-14-2013, 10:29 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRFAOBFH1 View Post
Who said the goalies suck? Re read the post!

The last 2 loses make my point! PERIOD...
You said in your previous post that Bassin messed up the goalies at the beginning of the year. I just was wondering how you can justify that at the time of the Import draft given Dank's credentials at that point. Bassin makes quite a few questionable moves but you can not say Dansk or Williams were mistakes. It is easy to say that in hindsight after a few poor showings but do not forget the games earlier in the year where Dansk was making 45+ saves a night. The poor performance as of recent is the entire team (with the exception of a few) underachieving. Have there been some weak goals? yes there has been but the defense as a team has not been there either.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:20 PM
BramptonFan09

This team is poor defensively as a whole. It is bothersome that people are blaming the goalies and Defense for this teams goals against woahs. A large sum of goals given up are a result of point shots getting through and the other team hitting the weak side defenseman off the rush because of the forward showing limited effort on the back check or being caught without a high man in the offensive zone. Sure the D make their fair share of mistakes but so does everybody else, goalies included. It is impossible for defenseman to defend the rush without back pressure, or defended points shots being peppered

Old
02-16-2013, 11:49 AM
OHLFan8771

What a great game last night, Erie came to play and it was one of the best games of the season for Erie I think. They battled for loose pucks and hustled all the way through. They were on their heels at times but battled back and that is what it takes to win. I also really liked the line of Fox-Cairns-Brown as I thought they connected, I think that line should stay together tonight even with Crisp coming back. Maybe a 2nd line of Crisp-McDavid-Labardo. Anyway I really hope they can bring that same effort tonight against Kitchener.

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 02-16-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old
02-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

That was a fun game last night. I thought Hunter was nuts pulling the goalie with ~6 minutes left in the game, but that worked out.

I also thought it was hilarious to hear a 50 year old man yell at Hunter when the crowd got quiet. "Hey Dale! Dale! You suck!"

Also, those anthems were terrible.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:30 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
You said in your previous post that Bassin messed up the goalies at the beginning of the year. I just was wondering how you can justify that at the time of the Import draft given Dank's credentials at that point. Bassin makes quite a few questionable moves but you can not say Dansk or Williams were mistakes. It is easy to say that in hindsight after a few poor showings but do not forget the games earlier in the year where Dansk was making 45+ saves a night. The poor performance as of recent is the entire team (with the exception of a few) underachieving. Have there been some weak goals? yes there has been but the defense as a team has not been there either.
I agree with you. The 2 goalies have been excellent overall. They constantly face not just shots but great scoring opportunities. Williams has shown glimpses of what he can be. He is lightning quick with an excellent glove. Dansk has had a great year, he has kept them in games they had no bisness being in. Not too many realize how it feels or how tiring it is to face 50 shots a night. Its a mental grind at times. I think Bassin needs to upgrade and focus on there Defensive core(not including Pelech). Not just winning battles but they struggle with crisp outlets, which result in turnovers right at there own blue line. I think alot can be fixed with an elite Defenseman selected in the OHL draft and parting ways with the long term Defensive coach. This team in my opinion will make the playoffs next year if that happens. Mcdavid In my opinion is going to be incredible next year, noticeably better than in his rookie year , which he really has been excellent. With the picks they have in this draft they should be able to get 1 excellent piece and 2 very good pieces in this draft at the very least. Those three 97's should be able to crack the roster next year. That first pick inside the top 3 will be a game changer.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:38 PM
KnightSpit

Fun Game Last Night, Knights Nothing To Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
That was a fun game last night. I thought Hunter was nuts pulling the goalie with ~6 minutes left in the game, but that worked out.

I also thought it was hilarious to hear a 50 year old man yell at Hunter when the crowd got quiet. "Hey Dale! Dale! You suck!"

Also, those anthems were terrible.
Hey Randy, the guy in the Crowd can yell all he want, the last laugh is with Hunter, who's team unlike the OTTERS will make the playoffs and probably win the OHL Championship and onto a memorial cup, not to mention Dale is the owner of the most sucessful and VALUABLE $$$$ OHL Franchise ever. Players dream of being drafted to the Knights. Also London is really just taking it easy right now, until the playoffs, If the SPITS collapse then yeah Erie maybe has a chance but otherwise battle for the basement. Any Otters experts disagree?, also McDavid is a top notch palyer, but if they do not make the palyoffs again next year, do you guys think he will stick around ? The Knights will take him in a second, but then again Dale having taken Washington as far as he did in last years playoffs, probably would be a lousy coach Right ? Good luck Man.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:59 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Hey Randy, the guy in the Crowd can yell all he want, the last laugh is with Hunter, who's team unlike the OTTERS will make the playoffs and probably win the OHL Championship and onto a memorial cup, not to mention Dale is the owner of the most sucessful and VALUABLE $$$$ OHL Franchise ever. Players dream of being drafted to the Knights. Also London is really just taking it easy right now, until the playoffs, If the SPITS collapse then yeah Erie maybe has a chance but otherwise battle for the basement. Any Otters experts disagree?, also McDavid is a top notch palyer, but if they do not make the palyoffs again next year, do you guys think he will stick around ? The Knights will take him in a second, but then again Dale having taken Washington as far as he did in last years playoffs, probably would be a lousy coach Right ? Good luck Man.
Mcdavid is old school. He wont ask out of Erie. He will be a top pick in the NHL draft regardless, asking out of Erie would only make him look like a diva, spoiled. He wont do it. Think about for a second, this kid moved 400km away from his house to play for Erie @15. Some kids take pride in turning a team around.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:22 PM
BramptonFan09

This team will pick a high end European defenseman in the euro draft, send kuleshov home and take the best player available in the ohl draft whether it be a forward or defenseman. I think they need to add one or two high energy defensive forwards. As for their Defense I think they only played 5 last night kuleshov didn't get a shift. I think if they can get a decent price on a good veteran dman you take it, but every team is tentative to give up good defenseman. This team needs to play a simple dump and chase game as they did last night and back check as hard as they forecheck. I don't think they need to upgrade much. If this team is going to upgrade I would wait and see how next year starts. I think the problem with some of the defenseman is ey play too much they need more capable bodies. I think next year you go in with the mindset that McDowell, Pelech as a top pair Abraham with a European stud and donnay with a young dman. Right now those 4 play so much that by the end of the weekend or end of the game their play goes down due to fatigue. Not to mention their division consists of four of the best and highest scoring teams in the ohl

Old
02-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Otters Fan

Great game played by the Otters last night maybe the best all year. When this team plays physical they can play with anyone in the league. The problem is i have only seen them play that way maybe three times at home all season and i have yet to miss a home game.
They will draft a a top D-man in the coming ohl draft,and as most say i hope they send Kuleashov back to the KHL and also draft a top european d-man. That would help this team a ton. And as i have read in the prospects thread seems like we will have a chance to draft a couple high energy forwards with our 2nd round picks.
I like both of our goalies and as i think mapleleaf said its hard to face 40+ shots every night. These guys have kept us in almost every game.
This team depending what happens in the drafts shouldnt have a problem making the playoffs next season and maybe more.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:39 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:

Ladies and gentlemen, here we have an exhibit of the worst kind of London fan. Also one who probably had no idea London even had an OHL team before 2005.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:03 PM
bobber

Great response Charlie Girl. London may struggle now to get past the first round with their mediocre goalies. They are not coasting as some say. That is just an excuse for all the losses they have incurred lately.Just a fact of life. They do have a decent squad of players but the goal tending may be the Achilles's heal.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:03 PM
ottergolfer

Quote:
a lot of Otters fans love to hate the knights and Hunter that is what makes for great rivalries. Ask the Great 8 what he thinks of Mr Dale.
The London page on here made a vague reference to a Thurs concert that a few knights may or may not have attended... after all they were playing the lowly Otters Friday.

Mr Mc David will be here until he is in the N H L .
and if i am not mistaken the season series between the Otters and Knights this year is hmmmm ?? 2 and 2 ??

Old
02-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Nothing Else Maattas

Victor Fernandes ‏@GoErieHockey
. @ErieOtters GM Sherry Bassin said he questions the commitment level of a few of his players. Of course, he didn't say who. With all but 1 player eligible to return next season, and new players coming in, Bassin said he can weed out those less committed

Just wanted to post this update, and comment on how great that Erie may be near the bottom of the standings, but it's nice to see them beat the Knights.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:19 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor McJesus View Post
Victor Fernandes ‏@GoErieHockey
. @ErieOtters GM Sherry Bassin said he questions the commitment level of a few of his players. Of course, he didn't say who. With all but 1 player eligible to return next season, and new players coming in, Bassin said he can weed out those less committed

Just wanted to post this update, and comment on how great that Erie may be near the bottom of the standings, but it's nice to see them beat the Knights.
I think it is obvious that some of them are not as committed as they need to be. Hopefully he can trade those players and bring in some that will give it there all. It is not fair to players like Brown, Fox, both goalies, Labardo, and McDavid who always go out and play hard.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:53 PM
OHLFan8771

Overall a good effort in both games this weekend. I thought they played relatively well tonight except the second period. With that being said Dansk kept them in the game still but at least they were in it. They almost fought back to tie it up but came up just a bit short.
Another note from the game is that I can not believe they did not call a single penalty on Kitchener the entire game. They did play a disciplined game but there were at least three instances were a penalty should have been called. With that being said Erie got away with one or two as well but still the Rangers had two power plays.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:42 AM
OHLFan8771

I also wanted to add from tonight's game against Kitchener that McDavid could have easily had 5 assists. Other posters that were there I would like to know if you guy saw the same thing out there. He created about six or seven scoring opportunities that could have easily been goals if his teammates found the back of the net. It was just one of those nights where it was hard to convert on some good opportunities.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Otters Fan

Quote:
I also wanted to add from tonight's game against Kitchener that McDavid could have easily had 5 assists. Other posters that were there I would like to know if you guy saw the same thing out there. He created about six or seven scoring opportunities that could have easily been goals if his teammates found the back of the net. It was just one of those nights where it was hard to convert on some good opportunities.
You are correct about McDavid. Quite a few times he would pass the puck right to a guy in the front of the net and they couldn't get a stick on it. It was just one of those night were maybe they weren't ready on a few and a few times they just were not able to handle the pass.
I will say you could tell they were pretty tired compaired to Friday night. They just didnt have the same hustle they did friday. But they kept fighting and at least kept themselves in the game.
Dansk is still pretty shakey in net. He gave up a ton of 2nd and 3rd shots. i understand he has had a ton of time off so maybe it will take awhile to get settled.
Overall good effort against some great teams this week end

Closed Thread