HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holzer over Schenn

Old
02-12-2013, 04:19 AM
TheKule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi0308 View Post
How did holzer do vs the flyers? How did he play compared to luke in that one game?
I didn't watch Luke much, but Holzer was bad. He seems to get nervous when it's his turn to move the puck out of the zone, and combine it with his slow acceleration, he often gets caught up by forecheckers. Simmonds was on him like white on rice.

He also took a terrible boarding penalty that gave the Flyers a 5 minute PP, immediately after the Leafs had killed a 2 minute PP. It was 4-1 at that point and it was the exact thing the Flyers needed to climb back into the game. All's well that ends well?

In short, he was bad. But it's only been 8 or so games for him. Gonna need at least another 12 before we have a good idea of what he is. I'm not so sure Holmgren is on the phone trying for a Schenn-Holzer swap, though .

I'll add: he was also responsible for the Flyers first goal. Simmonds got position on him, then got 2 whacks at the puck to bury it. It was a favourable rebound for Simmonds though, and he reacted very very quickly, so we can probably chalk it up to bad puckluck.

Last edited by TheKule: 02-12-2013 at 04:26 AM.
TheKule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:17 AM
komarovski
Rookie User

Holzer has his warts, too. But right now, he's done well, and you can't complain about the results. It's telling, that they went to Holzer, and completely bipassed Komisarek.

komarovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:26 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Holzer have what, 8-9 games in the NHL? Way to early to tell anything really. So far he have shown that he at least have what it takes to be a bottom paring shutdown d-man. But seeing as he is young and inexperienced I have no doubts that he can become better.

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:34 AM
komarovski
Rookie User

Or he could get worse. I don't anticipate he will, but we've seen guys regress before. I hope he keeps it up, but I need more than a handful of games before I say something like "he have shown that he at least have what it takes to be a bottom paring shutdown d-man."

Old
02-12-2013, 05:40 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by komarovski View Post
Or he could get worse. I don't anticipate he will, but we've seen guys regress before. I hope he keeps it up, but I need more than a handful of games before I say something like "he have shown that he at least have what it takes to be a bottom paring shutdown d-man."
Of course he could regress. But he was pretty dominant in the AHL and have progressed steadily every season and he have the physics, mentality and basic skills to at least be a bottom pairing d-man imo. If he also develops some offensive skills (better passing game, better skating) then he can move up. But I fail to see what it is that could happen that would keep him away from the NHL seeing as he have the size and the hockey sense for the league.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:43 AM
komarovski
Rookie User

Definitely. I like the player, I'm just cautiously optimistic like I am with most prospects making the jump. We've all been burned by the prospect of potential enough, I think we should all be a little gun shy. Especially when it comes to these late round picks.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:54 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by komarovski View Post
Definitely. I like the player, I'm just cautiously optimistic like I am with most prospects making the jump. We've all been burned by the prospect of potential enough, I think we should all be a little gun shy. Especially when it comes to these late round picks.
Well I will not argue against that logic and I agree.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:58 AM
JimLaheyprobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number13 View Post
Mike Brennan is 6'0 200 lbs, and he forced holzer to fight him, sure holzer got a few shots in and then threw him down, but hes 6'5 220. If you are being forced to fight by a guy 5 inches shorter then you where is your mean streak. I dont know i think my definition of mean streak is different than yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIoV1B-Oh_A

Thats my definition of mean streak, pasting malkin against the boards then taking on anyone who wants to say anything about it.

JimLaheyprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:04 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Wow, well that one video taken out of context has me convinced.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:09 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLaheyprobert View Post
Mike Brennan is 6'0 200 lbs, and he forced holzer to fight him, sure holzer got a few shots in and then threw him down, but hes 6'5 220. If you are being forced to fight by a guy 5 inches shorter then you where is your mean streak. I dont know i think my definition of mean streak is different than yours.

Thats my definition of mean streak, pasting malkin against the boards then taking on anyone who wants to say anything about it.
I like how you complain about Holzer obliging Brennan who is a few inches shorter than him, and perhaps a few pounds lighter (Holzer is closer to 6'3 btw) and then post a video of Luke Schenn obliging Tyler Kennedy (of all people) who is 5'10/11 compared to Luke at 6'2.

BlueAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:50 PM
zeke
#freewilly

best thing about Holzer is that because of his lack of hype / prospect status, and because his game will never generate big numbers, he'll never end up being overpaid like Schenn is.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:52 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLaheyprobert View Post

Your numbers are not right and I dont see any one forcing any one to do anything.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:53 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
best thing about Holzer is that because of his lack of hype / prospect status, and because his game will never generate big numbers, he'll never end up being overpaid like Schenn is.
True. And if we play solid defensive hockey players will not get inflated stats either who they can use as an argument to get a higher salary.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:58 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

JVR going around Schenn brought back memories.

I guess it isn't true that everything was better in the past.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:00 PM
zeke
#freewilly

It's sad when a "defensive dman" is helpless defending off the rush.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:39 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
JVR going around Schenn brought back memories.

I guess it isn't true that everything was better in the past.
Defensive defencemen with limited skating abilities are becoming less effective and basically extinct under the new rules.

Mark Fraser can basically do what Luke Schenn does at like 1/3 the cost or less.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:56 PM
JimLaheyprobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite View Post
I like how you complain about Holzer obliging Brennan who is a few inches shorter than him, and perhaps a few pounds lighter (Holzer is closer to 6'3 btw) and then post a video of Luke Schenn obliging Tyler Kennedy (of all people) who is 5'10/11 compared to Luke at 6'2.
Lmao okay you guys can over analyze all you want, all im saying is schenns 5 years in the nhl give way more evidence of a mean streak then holzers 5 games in the nhl. You guys were probably the same leaf fans who loved schenn and praised him when he lead the nhl in hits that one year and now that hes gone completely forgot about him. Now that holzer is here and had a few good games you guy praise him, but as soon as he messed up you guys will be the same fans saying oh hes awful get rid of him. Look at the bigger picture and look at the 5 years of evidence compared to the 5 games of evidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIQ2LJ-U_fI

and yea holzer looks REAL mean here when hes getting punched in the face and doesnt do a thing. I like the guy just saying hes not that mean. Unless "clearing the net aggressively is mean then yea i guess he is lol"

JimLaheyprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Inconceivable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlaheyprobert View Post
lmao okay you guys can over analyze all you want, all im saying is schenns 5 years in the nhl give way more evidence of a mean streak then holzers 5 games in the nhl. You guys were probably the same leaf fans who loved schenn and praised him when he lead the nhl in hits that one year and now that hes gone completely forgot about him. Now that holzer is here and had a few good games you guy praise him, but as soon as he messed up you guys will be the same fans saying oh hes awful get rid of him. Look at the bigger picture and look at the 5 years of evidence compared to the 5 games of evidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiq2lj-u_fi

and yea holzer looks real mean here when hes getting punched in the face and doesnt do a thing. I like the guy just saying hes not that mean. Unless "clearing the net aggressively is mean then yea i guess he is lol"
dementia!!!

Inconceivable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Aki Berg

Holzer is the closest thing to Aki the Leafs have had since Aki.

Schenn was never able to fill Aki's shoes. Too much pressure from Toronto fans to replace their adopted son.

Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:05 PM
G51 K81*

Yeah I don't get the whole defensive defenseman idea when Schenn was terrible defensively. I was more confident with guys like Liles and Gardiner back than Schenn. I guess people label players based on their physical attributes.

G51 K81* is offline   Reply With Quote