Rick Middleton

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:15 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINE-IAC View Post
I think his point was that he should not be on the list whether its 9th or 99th.
I wonder if hub would have him on his list?
I don't know what you are smoking with the hatred of the kid. You don't consider him one of the top 100 Bruins of all time?

The people who hate Thornton on this forum are likely the folks who had half Colorado half Boston jerseys and made fun of the Bruins when they sucked and just hopped back on the bandwagon. First game back in Boston Joe got a standing O.

From the day Oates got traded to Savard signing Thornton was the best Bruin. Thats close to 10 years. That includes Allison who was a first liner over him some of those years. Thornton cracks the top 20 greatest all time Bruins. He's somewhere with the Marcottes and McNabs. Of course he doesn't deserve his jersey retired.

O Rielly and Neely (and I guess Hitchman) possibly don't deserve theirs either given the high standards of this organization with these things. It is a speculative tread anyways.

Chara needs 2 of the following: 5 more seasons, another Norris, another Cup to be a lock to be up there.

Bergeron has to remain in the organization for another decade.

The rest are too young.

Thomas belongs up there because he has no affiliation to another team. Because he was dominant for a similar length of time to when Hasek was dominant in a harder era. And because he delivered a Cup as the best player on the team.

You can compare Thomas to Orr in terms of dominance and longevity. You know how hard it is to be able to be compared to the greatest hockey player ever? And he is hardly a lock.

Joe will retire as one of the best players of his generation. He was not a failed #1 pick. He faught just like all our great players. It didn't work out. Sinden/MOC were running stuff his entire time in Boston. No **** he isn't Orr but the guy leaves a legacy of one of the (many) greats who wore the sweater...and like I said from Oates leaving to Savard that era he was the best player (Bourque played another year or two after Oates was traded but besides that it was a dark time in our history and Thornton was a good player.)

Do you know how many good players we have had over the years? Thornton holds an impressive place in Bruins hierarchy.

I found 9 more deserving players than him anyways. If he had put in those 8 years he was here for a team like Phoenix he probably gets retired. For recent Bruins (that most people will remember) I have Thornton slightly behind Oates and just ahead of Samsonov and Allison. No idea why that is a point of contention with some seems common sense to me.

And I don't want to talk about Thornton he left a long time ago. (Back when most of this forum was watching mostly baseball.) Heck, Sturm has been gone for what 3 years now?

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Open Ice

I hear what you all are saying about Cheevers over Thomas, I just think that in this day and age, retired numbers come with pomp and circumstance "SUPERSTAR NIGHT" Gala event type deals that NESN can get sexy for and people can spend multiple paychecks on tickets. There are multiple generations that never saw Cheevers play. Unless they get the complete 70's glory year teams to come out, I mean, even then, Cheevers, god love him, doesn't have the cache that a Thomas does. "Gerry Cheevers Night" vs. "Tim Thomas Night," I know that's a incredibly cheap and cynical comparison, but my guess is 'what have you done for me lately' wins the posterity battle for #30.

(I know he probably burned bridges like a mother****er on the way out, so maybe this is all moot, but in 5 years from now? Water under the bridge?)

They should have had Gerry Cheevers Night while Thomas was still on the team so that Thomas could skate over and pull off the 30 jersey to reveal the 300 jersey complete with strap for deer hunting rifle, and hooks for grenades on the shoulder pads.

I want a Bruins Hall of Fame. Screw the retired numbers. Let them both have the honored spots on the Greatest B's Goaltenders of All Time Wall.

Open Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:20 PM
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to bruinswincup Send a message via Skype™ to bruinswincup
No way does Thomas deserve his number in the rafters

bruinswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:36 PM
GloveSave1
OG TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special K View Post
#30. Thomas deserves it....he is a Boston legend as far as I am concerned. All that personal **** does not matter, the guy was THE BEST goalie I have ever seen. That includes Roy.
Just from a fan vote perspective, I couldn't agree more. It would be downright awesome/a moving moment. The guy picked us all up, gave so many guys the opportunity to become heroes, and carried us to a long-awaited Cup. It would be a sight to behold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I think they should retire 1 in honor of Thompson and brimsek just so buns like raycroft don't wear it.
I'm glad Thompson and Brimsek were quickly mentioned, they along with Cheevers are probably the most deserving IMO.

Throw Reggie Lemelin in as a fan legend who wore 1 for the Bruins. Beating Montreal in 1988 was one of my, and many other B's fans, greatest moments. That was a awesome year/team. Damn Oilers!

GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:22 AM
finchster

Cheevers was a passenger on a stacked Bruins team whereas Thomas was the guy who brought the cup, Thomas is head and shoulders above Cheevers. The HOH board also agrees with me on this. It’s like saying Grant Fuhr is better than Patrick Roy because Fuhr has five Stanley Cups to Roy’s four, no doubt they were two good goaltenders but everyone knows who was more responsible for their team winning.

However, if the Bruins didn't retire Thompson or Brimsek's number Thomas has ZERO chance of getting 30 retired nor should Cheevers. Chara is a lock to get his number retired, every captain who won a Cup has their number retired starting with Lionel Hitchman who wasn't a top defender in his era. Chara is one of the best defencemen of his era and is a lock for the HOF.

Last edited by finchster: 02-12-2013 at 07:28 AM.
finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:17 PM
doc5hole

Harry Sinden use to use the HOF as a guide (not a rule, as the Red Sox do), but I noticed yesterday that the ring of honor in the Bruins dressing room is all HOFers ... thus Lapointe (wearing 5 no less, he also wore 27), Joey Mullen, Brian Leetch, Paul Coffey but no Cashman, no O'Reilly, no Nifty. Love the idea but hate that part of it with a passion.

As for raising the next number to the rafters, until No. 10 goes up for HOFer Bill Cowley, this conversation should always end as fast as it starts. I don't know what the Bruins are waiting for. Check this guy's career. It's a joke and, to boot, no one's even wearing it now.

doc5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Bad Hat Harry

#17 Tenkrat. Or is that already retired

Bad Hat Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:19 PM
GloveSave1
OG TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Cheevers was a passenger on a stacked Bruins team whereas Thomas was the guy who brought the cup, Thomas is head and shoulders above Cheevers. The HOH board also agrees with me on this. Its like saying Grant Fuhr is better than Patrick Roy because Fuhr has five Stanley Cups to Roys four, no doubt they were two good goaltenders but everyone knows who was more responsible for their team winning.

However, if the Bruins didn't retire Thompson or Brimsek's number Thomas has ZERO chance of getting 30 retired nor should Cheevers. Chara is a lock to get his number retired, every captain who won a Cup has their number retired starting with Lionel Hitchman who wasn't a top defender in his era. Chara is one of the best defencemen of his era and is a lock for the HOF.
Good points. They all have zero chance, if we're talking reality. The next will be Chara and then prob Bergeron...No doubt. Cold truth.

...I'm embarassed to say I don't know anything about Cowley. I'll have to look him up. Sucks how some guys slip through the cracks.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Sevren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbaer View Post
Bergeron if he stays and retires a Bruin.
So you wouldn't have retired #77?

Sevren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:32 PM
finchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave1 View Post
Good points. They all have zero chance, if we're talking reality. The next will be Chara and then prob Bergeron...No doubt. Cold truth.

...I'm embarassed to say I don't know anything about Cowley. I'll have to look him up. Sucks how some guys slip through the cracks.
Cowley is the most criminally underrated player in NHL history and a victim of being in the right place at the wrong time. Cowley was a league leader during the war era, when players joined the military (Bruins lost Brimsek, Schmidt, Dumart and Bauer to the war effort) and the competition was lower.

However, Cowley was a star in his own right and prior to the war era won a Hart Trophy, two first team all stars and lead the league in scoring once. However, his two first team and one second team all star selections during the war era are largely ignored because of the weak competition. Cowley would’ve been a top player in the league without the war; would he have done the same thing? Who knows, but 6 all star team selections at centre is impressive in any era.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Ogie Ogilthorpe

I think 14 for Ace Bailey would have been a nice gesture.

Ogie Ogilthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:56 PM
GloveSave1
OG TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Cowley is the most criminally underrated player in NHL history and a victim of being in the right place at the wrong time. Cowley was a league leader during the war era, when players joined the military (Bruins lost Brimsek, Schmidt, Dumart and Bauer to the war effort) and the competition was lower.

However, Cowley was a star in his own right and prior to the war era won a Hart Trophy, two first team all stars and lead the league in scoring once. However, his two first team and one second team all star selections during the war era are largely ignored because of the weak competition. Cowley would’ve been a top player in the league without the war; would he have done the same thing? Who knows, but 6 all star team selections at centre is impressive in any era.
Yeah, I looked him up last night. The war did run through my head. But he's certainly got the credentials. Seems like he deserved more from the Bruins.

So, am I reading this right, Martin LaPointe is in the Bruins Ring of Honor, or something? That seems odd to me. But a lot of those names seem weird from a Bruins sense.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:52 PM
doc5hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
Ah yes, what shall we do with a problem like Brad Park. Is he a Ranger, is he a Bruin....who does he really belong to? Too bad. A HOFer, one of the top D-men of all time, nice bridge between Orr and Bourque, but he's a man without an identity.
Or a man with two identities, just not two retired numbers. He might be the best player never to win the Stanley Cup, so I wish there was a path for him.

doc5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:30 PM
bobbyorr04
Bruins fan 4ever

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
I'd retire #30 for Timmy.
Indeed!

bobbyorr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Quaider*
RONDO BABY!

I think #48 should hang in the rafters. I can see Julien basking in the glory of it now.

Quaider* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:17 AM
TheSeguinEra2010*

I liked TT too but I think if you retire his number there are a lot of other players you have to give the same honor as well. Guys up in the rafters were great and dominant their entire careers. All due respect to him he brought the cup to Boston but the guy only had two GREAT seasons here in 2009 and 2011. If he gets his number retired than the Bruins standards are low and a lot of numbers will be hanging soon.

TheSeguinEra2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:24 AM
Topshelf88
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushhawg View Post
I think #48 should hang in the rafters. I can see Julien basking in the glory of it now.
Was that Mowers' number too? I try to erase that time period from my mind, can't recall.

Topshelf88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:36 AM
TheSeguinEra2010*

Mowers was #18

TheSeguinEra2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:11 AM
MaCam

From this current team, #37 Bergeron and #33 Chara in the future.

MaCam is offline   Reply With Quote