HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Will the Leafs make the playoffs this year?

View Poll Results: Will the Leafs make the playoffs?
Yes 44 35.48%
No 80 64.52%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Will the Leafs make the playoffs this year?

Simple yes or no. No copping out with a "Too soon" or "Maybe" or whatever.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Kulemon

vCash: 500
I have no idea but they've looked dominant these past two games. Reimer has been excellent aswell.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

No. Theyre on a nice little run now. They play guys like Mike Kostka, Leo Komorov, and Korbinian Holzer in key roles. Reimer would have to steal a lot of games for them to make it.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 250
Nope.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:05 PM
MastuhNinks

Yes, assuming they can continue getting decent-good goaltending. I said going into the season that goaltending would determine if they're a playoff team or a bottom feeder, and right now it looks like the goaltending is actually a strength of the team.

Reimer's injury is reportedly not serious, so if he can come back and continue playing the way he has been rather than playing in 2011-2012 form than the Leafs will make the playoffs.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:20 PM
sharks9

Nope, still too many question marks for their team.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Count Von Grabo*

I don't think so. Hope I'm wrong.

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:31 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Nope, still too many question marks for their team.
Like size and toughness.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:35 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
No. Theyre on a nice little run now. They play guys like Mike Kostka, Leo Komorov, and Korbinian Holzer in key roles. Reimer would have to steal a lot of games for them to make it.
Komarov is playing on the 3rd line

Holzer has been good but has been playing in a role to large for him

Kostka is likely gone by the time Gunnarsson and Gardiner are 100%

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 1684
No. As much as I want them too I fully expect them to drop off the earth in the final half of the season.

Rule number one for being a leaf fan: always expect the worse.

Hennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Oiled up*

No im not convinced... iirc they were doing well for a long time last year then fell off the face of the planet in the last half of the season. Who's to say that won't happen again?

Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Von Grabo View Post
I don't think so. Hope I'm wrong.
same

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:08 PM
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!

vCash: 1010
no.

The Leafs will fall off a cliff in march this year, mirroring what happened to them last season in February.

BleedinBlueSince1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:15 PM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

Yes, assuming Kessel, Reimer, JVR, etc... keep up their solid play

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:22 PM
DG

I voted yes, but in all likelihood, they probably fall between 7-11. It's going to be a close East and an even closer NE division, I think.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:26 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

So far, Leaf goaltenders have posted a 0.934 sv% at even strength. That's equal to what Lundqvist and Quick posted last year, so it's incredibly likely that their goaltending won't be as good as it has been for the rest of the year... Unless you think that Reimer will play every game the rest of the year, and that Reimer is a top-5 goaltender in the NHL.

Toronto shooters have scored on 10.6% of their shots at even strength so far. The league average is 8.3%, so that's a bit high and likely to regress as well. JvR is shooting 17.8%, Bozak is shooting 20%, Frattin is shooting 38.9%... Those guys won't continue to score goals at the rate they are.

In a shortened season, these numbers are less likely to regress, so they could stay above league average in both categories although I think it's pretty unlikely they stay exactly where they are.

Leafs Nation - PDO

Last year, the Leafs also shot 10.6% in October, and by the end of the year that dropped to 8.7%. Their goaltenders also had a decent start to the year (0.922) and it fell off a cliff to 0.911 by the end of the season. Losing Gustavsson will help a lot (he is not an NHL calibre goaltender by any means) so their sv% probably won't dip as much as it did last year.

At 5v5, so far the Leafs have been pretty bad. Only Minnesota and Nashville have been worse at controlling the play when the score is close.

It's still very early, so fenwick/corsi percentages are still pretty volatile and just because the Leafs are 28th by that measure doesn't mean they're the 28th best team in the league - just that it's very likely they're not a top-10 team in the league.

All in all, with their shooting and goaltending likely to regress and the fact they haven't done a great job of controlling the play so far means it's very likely they're not as good as their record indicates, but if they can run this hot streak a bit longer they may be able to hold on to a playoff spot.

My guess is somewhere around 10th in the East.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:28 PM
sgupca

Yes - due to a short season

No - if it was a full season

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:52 PM
The Saurus

This is the year they will make it, yes. Randy Carlyle's demands for disciplined hockey and practice regimens will keep the team focused. Unless key players start going down to injury in droves, the Leafs will make the playoffs this year.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

It sure looks like they will be in the battle. With maybe half a dozen other teams. So just on those odds, I said "no". But there's no reason it couldn't be the Leafs who get in, amongst the teams in the battle. Carlyle seems like just what they needed behind the bench.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:24 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
So far, Leaf goaltenders have posted a 0.934 sv% at even strength. That's equal to what Lundqvist and Quick posted last year, so it's incredibly likely that their goaltending won't be as good as it has been for the rest of the year... Unless you think that Reimer will play every game the rest of the year, and that Reimer is a top-5 goaltender in the NHL.

Toronto shooters have scored on 10.6% of their shots at even strength so far. The league average is 8.3%, so that's a bit high and likely to regress as well. JvR is shooting 17.8%, Bozak is shooting 20%, Frattin is shooting 38.9%... Those guys won't continue to score goals at the rate they are.
In a shortened season, these numbers are less likely to regress, so they could stay above league average in both categories although I think it's pretty unlikely they stay exactly where they are.

Leafs Nation - PDO

Last year, the Leafs also shot 10.6% in October, and by the end of the year that dropped to 8.7%. Their goaltenders also had a decent start to the year (0.922) and it fell off a cliff to 0.911 by the end of the season. Losing Gustavsson will help a lot (he is not an NHL calibre goaltender by any means) so their sv% probably won't dip as much as it did last year.

At 5v5, so far the Leafs have been pretty bad. Only Minnesota and Nashville have been worse at controlling the play when the score is close.

It's still very early, so fenwick/corsi percentages are still pretty volatile and just because the Leafs are 28th by that measure doesn't mean they're the 28th best team in the league - just that it's very likely they're not a top-10 team in the league.

All in all, with their shooting and goaltending likely to regress and the fact they haven't done a great job of controlling the play so far means it's very likely they're not as good as their record indicates, but if they can run this hot streak a bit longer they may be able to hold on to a playoff spot.

First off, Kudos for doing your research. But, there are a few holes that I'd like to poke. First off, you seem to ignore that our top scorer has a SH% of 4%. And our second highest scorer will not be playing for another couple of weeks. The amount of goals those two would produce would counteract the supposed drop in SH%. Second, the Leafs are reliant a lot less on goal scoring than they were last year. They may be giving up quite a bit of shots, but they are lower percentage ones. And lastly from watching all of the games it's simply not true that they have been that bad 5 on 5.

JVReemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:26 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post

Leafs Nation - PDO

Exactly what I came here to post. Great job

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Do Make Say Think

vCash: 144
The only way they don't make it in is if injuries start happening

In a full 82 game season however I don't think they have what it takes just yet

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:29 PM
KingBuzzo
A custom title.

I don't know. That's the most I know, is that I don't know. Hopefully though. Getting Gardiner, Lupul and Gunnar back would be a nice kick. As well as a healthy Reimer.

KingBuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Trite answer: Sens fan voting no.

Better answer:

Well, they do look good right now. The defense isn't a shambles anymore and they seem to be playing a cohesive game. Kadri getting his shot has done wonders for them, they don't have any super studs on "D" but they are doing it by committee. Frattin is delivering timely goals, Kessel is warming up and as a group they are doing fairly well.

They've allowed a fair amount of shots recently and that definitely needs to stop if they are going to not only make the playoffs, but make noise.

Who knows, this could be the year they finally break through. 48 games might be the perfect tonic for them, they just need to go 6-4 or 7-3 for every 10 game segment and they might make it in...

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:01 PM
SenateReform

My gut says no.

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote