HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Old
02-10-2013, 04:16 PM
TieClark

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermie View Post
Yeah, I looked at Reebok's Ai and K series but I just liked the feel of the Mako's better. Not a big Bauer fan, although the new Vapor APX is probably the best I've held. Little over my price-range though!
You could also take a look at Sherwood's. A N12 or a T100 are both very nice stick at the 180~ price point range

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Sean Garrity
MAGNUSIFENT!

My Miken Z9 is supposedly coming tomorrow! Finally btw, totalhockey took forever. Damn being in So Cal I guess?

Thanks again Jarick for your recommendation, I ended up getting the intermediate flex after all btw.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:47 PM
OpenIceHit42

Has anyone ever had an issue with ordering a stick online, receiving it 5-6 days later and breaking it on day #32 of the warranty? From my understanding the warranty kicks in as soon as you purchase even if it's online. Just wondering if manufactures would honor the warranty if you break it right after it expires although it takes the stick about a week to arrive to you.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:26 PM
AIREAYE

Likely will at that close of a timeframe. Will definitely be worth a try.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:23 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yes talk to them right away, they might be good about it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Hainzy58

Send a message via AIM to Hainzy58 Send a message via MSN to Hainzy58 Send a message via Yahoo to Hainzy58 Send a message via Skype™ to Hainzy58
Recently Got myself 3 Easton ST Grip and I love them so far, Played 13 games with them and personally like them better then the s19

Hainzy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:12 PM
nystromshairstylist
Moving to Warroad

I know its very expensive but recently got an APX and it is the best stick I've ever used by far.

Super light - but still easy to catch passes with, and can smoke a solid wrist shot if I hit it correctly (my technique is getting better). If one can afford it, you can do no better. I'll be studying the sale charts like a fiend in a year or so to hopefully pick some up on clearance.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I was disappointed the X:60 didn't really go on clearance all that much.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Redstreak

I got a Warrior Widow for christmas while they were on clearance to take the place of a Vapor X:50, and couldn't be happier. The feel for the puck is a lot better than what I had on the Vapor, and my shots are coming off a lot better. Its a bit longer than the Bauer was, but after getting used to it its been nice and I've been able to definitely notice the boost from the extra reach.

Redstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Ruhnie

Speaking of Widows on clearance...the one I picked up lasted an entire 2 days. Bottom of the blade at the back of the heel has completely delaminated and cracked off. You can see the insides of the blade, and it makes a lovely rattling noise when you shake the stick. I had heard they had ****** blades but I think 2 skates takes the cake!

Ruhnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Redstreak

Yeesh, that sucks. Mine's been pretty solid so far. I've used it in 4 games, plus was using it to practice at some outdoor rinks the last month. Its got a few scratches on it, but nothing to write home about.

Redstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah my Diablo blade cracked and broke at the heel in my first game with it. Cot a Covert DT2 from the warranty department and the blade is much, much better.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Ruhnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yeah my Diablo blade cracked and broke at the heel in my first game with it. Cot a Covert DT2 from the warranty department and the blade is much, much better.
Wow, I would kill for a Covert replacement! Let's see what I get, I like surprises

Old
02-14-2013, 07:32 AM
MJAYK

I ordered two Easton 85S II 65 flex intermediates from Hockeymonkey.eu.

Got them for 105€ per stick. How does it compare to my current stick which is the CCM U+ CS? I know both of these sticks are pretty light and have a low kickpoint which is exactly what i look for from my sticks.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:06 AM
AIREAYE

The CS is much more durable and loads/kicks differently.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post
Wow, I would kill for a Covert replacement! Let's see what I get, I like surprises
If you had a Widow you'll probably get a Covert DT1.

DT1 -> Widow (one piece construction)
DT2 -> Diablo (fused construction)

DT1 should be a little lighter overall and at the blade end with a little better performance, maybe a bit lower kick point.

My DT2 has been great for puck feel and light weight but I don't like the flex and low kick point...personal preference. I'll give it another shot one of these games.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:16 AM
MJAYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
The CS is much more durable and loads/kicks differently.
Well i hope the difference is small enough for me to get the hang of these twigs before i end up breaking them both.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Ruhnie

Quote:
If you had a Widow you'll probably get a Covert DT1.

DT1 -> Widow (one piece construction)
DT2 -> Diablo (fused construction)

DT1 should be a little lighter overall and at the blade end with a little better performance, maybe a bit lower kick point.

My DT2 has been great for puck feel and light weight but I don't like the flex and low kick point...personal preference. I'll give it another shot one of these games.
That would be awesome, I wish though that I had gone with the 75 SR instead of the Int but no biggie. I also had trouble getting used to the low kickpoint, and still not sure if I like it. That said, I did notice the quicker release on snappers/wristers and overall velocity improvements. Enough for me to keep working on it and see if I can switch full time.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post
That would be awesome, I wish though that I had gone with the 75 SR instead of the Int but no biggie. I also had trouble getting used to the low kickpoint, and still not sure if I like it. That said, I did notice the quicker release on snappers/wristers and overall velocity improvements. Enough for me to keep working on it and see if I can switch full time.
E-mail them and ask if you can change out the flex and pay the difference. I had my 70 flex swapped for 55, it's not what they regularly do, but they were willing to make an exception.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Ruhnie

Quote:
E-mail them and ask if you can change out the flex and pay the difference. I had my 70 flex swapped for 55, it's not what they regularly do, but they were willing to make an exception.
Was thinking of trying it, good to hear they've done it in the past. Communication from them is a bit slow right now though, I created my return on their site 2 days ago and haven't heard back yet

Old
02-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Ruhnie

Update: Just got off the phone w/ Warrior customer service, and they're doing exactly what I was hoping for. Getting a Covert DT1 replacement, and on top of that they're changing me out to the SR 75 flex. Awesome stuff, can't wait to get my hands on it. If this stick is as durable as I have heard (compared to Widow anyway) then I may be a Warrior guy for life.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:42 PM
AIREAYE

Glad it worked out, heard nothing but great things about Warrior's customer service. They really get it, and take great strides to cement their rising status, as oxymoronic as that sounds.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

vCash: 50
My infamous Bauer Total-One is just about pooched, has a wicked curve and I love it to death.

Any suggestions for a new stick? I want a 87-92 flex stick with a nice big toe curve and I'd prefer it to be under $250.

Twitter | HFBoards Contact | Youtube | Instagram| Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:18 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Just a quick question:
I'm trying to figure out what stick one of the guys in my league is playing with. Its a base stick, and has green outline lettering, but what really caught my attention was what the shaft seemed to be made out of (or at least wrapped in). It was almost like cloth. Any one know anything else about this stick? I looked on Base's website, but couldnt really get any details on anything like this.

Trl3789 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Peechis
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Just a quick question:
I'm trying to figure out what stick one of the guys in my league is playing with. Its a base stick, and has green outline lettering, but what really caught my attention was what the shaft seemed to be made out of (or at least wrapped in). It was almost like cloth. Any one know anything else about this stick? I looked on Base's website, but couldnt really get any details on anything like this.
Is it by chance The Natural? It looks like it's got a cloth texture to it. ( http://www.basehockey.ca/the-natural/ )
If that's it, they have a little bit on it on the comparison page ( http://www.basehockey.ca/comparison )

Peechis is offline   Reply With Quote