HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Kevin Roy - Northeastern University, NCAA (2012, 97th overall, Anaheim)

Old
10-12-2012, 03:29 AM
Gliff
Kesbae

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
Schultz ****ed them over, they needed someone to replace him and time frame they set after cali first stanley to become contender again that's why they wanted Lindholm to stay in NA. DSP has 30-40 goal potential in my opinion.
Dont think so. I would be happy with a 20-30 physical 2-3rd liner for the next 10 years.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 10-12-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 03:54 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Somebody notices!

Schultz the next Orr
Gardiner the other Orr
Palmieri top 6 lock
Holland top 6 hopeful
Vatanen Finland's top d-man
Wagner top 10 NCAA scoring as a rookie
Fowler top pairing D
Etem first CHL player to get 50g in 50 games since Tavares
DSP NHLer with 30-40 potential
Rakell PPG scorer with Plymouth
Gibson Arguably the OHL's top goalie
Karlsson Allsvenskan's top rookie
Welinski Rising US hockey defensive star
Friberg led WJC in goals
Lindholm so good that the Ducks staff practically begged him to stay in North America
Kerdiles One of the NCAA's top recruits
Andersen one of the top SEL goalies last year, broke Lundqvist's shutout record
Roy USHL records breaker. Top NCAA prospect

Pretty good track record since 2008. Really hope Roy ends up being a steal. It's starting to look like it.
They are very good and roy was very much liked by me aswell when you drafted him! However the only one I can't agree with is DSP, he is one of those guys who hits 20ish goals not more imo. Just doesn't have that skill set. Maybe a rare year for 30 close but I don't see 30-40 goal potential tbh.

10-12-2012, 07:36 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post
Can anyone comment on how he looked for Team Canada this summer? Did he hold his own? I also can't seem to find stats for the tournament on the hockeycanada website, although perhaps I'm not looking properly lol.
Does anyone know who he mostly played with?
He looked like a fish out of water. He looked every bit like a junior A player playing with and against the best juniors in the world.

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
He looked like a fish out of water. He looked every bit like a junior A player playing with and against the best juniors in the world.
Unfairly harsh, in my opinion. He was intimidated by the level but the skill was obviously there. I think his biggest problem may have been his OWN feeling that he didn't belong. He wasn't as aggressive with the puck as he needs to be in order to be successful with his style. Something that could change quickly as time goes on.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:46 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
This thread is overdue for an update on Roy. 23 points in 19 games in his Freshman season at Northeastern. He has really flipped the switch after a relatively slow start to the season. In his past 6 games, he has 5 goals and 7 assists for 12 points. Not exactly John Gaudreau numbers, but he's lighting it up as a Freshman.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Somebody notices!

Schultz the next Orr
Gardiner the other Orr
Palmieri top 6 lock
Holland top 6 hopeful
Vatanen Finland's top d-man
Wagner top 10 NCAA scoring as a rookie
Fowler top pairing D
Etem first CHL player to get 50g in 50 games since Tavares
DSP NHLer with 30-40 potential
Rakell PPG scorer with Plymouth
Gibson Arguably the OHL's top goalie
Karlsson Allsvenskan's top rookie
Welinski Rising US hockey defensive star
Friberg led WJC in goals
Lindholm so good that the Ducks staff practically begged him to stay in North America
Kerdiles One of the NCAA's top recruits
Andersen one of the top SEL goalies last year, broke Lundqvist's shutout record
Roy USHL records breaker. Top NCAA prospect

Pretty good track record since 2008. Really hope Roy ends up being a steal. It's starting to look like it.
wait what? You mean 30-40 points over the course of a full NHL season right?

And that's ignoring everything else you said.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:07 AM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Bumping. Roy had a hat trick tonight and that leaves him the NCAA's top rookie with 15 goals and 15 assists for thirty points. Not bad for an undersized fourth rounder. Could easily see him surpassing Gaudreau's rookie totals (before anyone crys foul, Gaudreau was scoring at a PPG. Roy's at 1.25 PPG). As it stands he only has 3 fewer points than sophomore Johnny Hockey. We'll see if he gets the attention he deserves for it though. Doubt it right now.

EDIT: Tied for 11th in overall scoring as a rookie BTW.

BTW: At the moment I'm gonna rescind what I said about Smith Pelly. Don't know where he went but his twin isn't very good at hockey.

Last edited by DuckJet: 02-05-2013 at 01:38 AM.
DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:42 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Bumping. Roy had a hat trick tonight and that leaves him the NCAA's top rookie with 15 goals and 15 assists for thirty points. Not bad for an undersized fourth rounder. Could easily see him surpassing Gaudreau's rookie totals (before anyone crys foul, Gaudreau was scoring at a PPG. Roy's at 1.25 PPG). As it stands he only has 3 fewer points than sophomore Johnny Hockey. We'll see if he gets the attention he deserves for it though. Doubt it right now.

EDIT: Tied for 11th in overall scoring as a rookie BTW.

BTW: At the moment I'm gonna rescind what I said about Smith Pelly. Don't know where he went but his twin isn't very good at hockey.
Kevin Roy is actually older than Johhny Gaudreau so it really becomes irrelevant comparing his freshman numbers to Gaudreau's.

Either way he is having an extremely productive year and is certainly a player for everyone to keep an eye on moving forward. Roy could be a real steal for the Ducks if he keeps producing and improving year after year.

Last edited by HighLifeMan: 02-05-2013 at 03:47 AM.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:45 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Ready 4 Ploffs

^that's what i was gonna say, he's a little bit older, but even then making the jump from the USHL to NU is pretty big regardless of his age

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:52 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
^that's what i was gonna say, he's a little bit older, but even then making the jump from the USHL to NU is pretty big regardless of his age
Absolutely and he deserves all the attention he is getting. Even if you were to compare his numbers this year they would still be fairly close (1.50 vs 1.25) so he is proving that he can produce with the best of them at the college level.

Intriguing prospect for sure.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:51 AM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Forgot he was an overager. My bad lol

Old
02-05-2013, 11:41 AM
NUhockey
Roy So Hard

Also remember that Roy is doing this on a struggling team in a tough conference. Northeastern is currently in 10th in Hockey East. Half of the team's 60 goals have gone through Kevin, and 1/4 of them have been scored by him directly.

His hockey IQ is certainly up there with Gaudreau. On the bench I've seen him work with coaches to modify set plays and improve them. On the ice he's always one step ahead of everyone else and recognizes developments faster than anyone out there. In game strategy has become instinctual with this kid and he's not even 20 years old.

Monday night was a clear example of that. Also, I'm not a huge fan of him or anything. No bias here.

Edit: Also Ducks fans, Josh Manson is already the team's #1 Dman as a sophomore. He's great with the puck and hits like a train. Laid one of the biggest clean hits I've ever seen last night, pro or college. It was so loud they called a penalty for boarding.

NUhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Kevin Roy is actually older than Johhny Gaudreau so it really becomes irrelevant comparing his freshman numbers to Gaudreau's.

Either way he is having an extremely productive year and is certainly a player for everyone to keep an eye on moving forward. Roy could be a real steal for the Ducks if he keeps producing and improving year after year.
This is true, however it's not really fair to compare Roy's rookie season to Gaudreau's sophmore either, as Gaudreau has been in the NCAA for well over a year now, so I would say their freshman years are basically identical when you take all of this in to consideration. Gaudreau was younger when he had his rookie season, but Roy has better stats and is still figuring the league out, just like any freshman has to.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:29 PM
hockeyGod

Beanpot final next Monday Boston College vs. Northeastern U
Gaudreau vs Roy.

hockeyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Pie Man
A-Pie

I been quietly following Roys stats in NCAA after seeing how he lit up USHL, and so far the dude have not dissapointed me.

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:05 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

I can't get over how good his hands are. He'll never be a power forward (obviously) but with the right development I can totally see him being a good NHLer.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:34 PM
KapG

Quote:
I can't get over how good his hands are. He'll never be a power forward (obviously) but with the right development I can totally see him being a good NHLer.
Another two goals tonight. 17 goals and 15 assists for 32 points in 25 games as a freshman, albeit a 19 year old one. Still, northeastern is a pretty bad team if memory serves me correct.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:27 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
Another two goals tonight. 17 goals and 15 assists for 32 points in 25 games as a freshman, albeit a 19 year old one. Still, northeastern is a pretty bad team if memory serves me correct.
They are, last place in Hockey East in fact. He has 17 goals and their second leading goal scorer has 8.

The kid is really impressive.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:30 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

Watched the Beanpot on TV; and thought that Roy looked like the best player on the ice both games. With a hat trick in the first game against BU, and nearly another in the final against a top team like BC. He looks like he has another gear, and his puckhandling was stellar. Nearly had a trick, but couldn't get the puck off fast enough after a high/hard pass.

Not sure if he can translate to make the jump to the next level. But I was really impressed. Every time he was on the ice in the third period, he looked like a threat.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
Watched the Beanpot on TV; and thought that Roy looked like the best player on the ice both games. With a hat trick in the first game against BU, and nearly another in the final against a top team like BC. He looks like he has another gear, and his puckhandling was stellar. Nearly had a trick, but couldn't get the puck off fast enough after a high/hard pass.

Not sure if he can translate to make the jump to the next level. But I was really impressed. Every time he was on the ice in the third period, he looked like a threat.
This beanpot he was far and away the best player on any team. Vesey looked good for Harvard the first game but Roy just is on another level. Playing with Saponari he's had really good chemistry. I've seen him in the rest of the season a few times. Can be a bit lazy from time to time in alot of games. Maybe takes a game off here and there. However there isn't a better big game performer in Hockey East. Last year there were three with Millan and Noonan from BU and Goody from BC. This year its a two horse race with Goody and Roy and maybe Goumas. Roy and Goumas are both Freshman but I'm a UNH fans and Roy has been unreal.

Roy's a gamer. When its time to step up and he is in big games, he takes his game to another level. Don't get me wrong though, his wrister is deceptively quick however I don't know how often that gets by NHL quality goaltending. Give it time. He's already on his way even with the baggage of his brother on the team.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Brian Fogarty
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
They are, last place in Hockey East in fact. He has 17 goals and their second leading goal scorer has 8.

The kid is really impressive.
Considering that opponents are throwing their best defenders at him when they can, Roy's numbers really are impressive.

As for his freshman numbers and his age, maybe stripping away the freshman part and just looking at the fact that he's 13th overall in the NCAA and 9th in ppg is a better way of discussing it. Gaudreau is the only player above Roy on the scoring table who is younger than Roy, and that by only 3 months.

02-12-2013, 03:43 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Plus you gotta think there was some slow-down in the transition from the USHL to the NCAA. Roy's doing great, but I think once he's more acclimated with the league, he'll be putting up even better numbers.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Dr Quincy

Ok, I'll say it.... there are some serious things I don't like about his game.

Yeah he has great hands and great vision and good speed. He's clearly the most talented player on his team and thus often has to deal with teammates just not able to see the same things he does on the ice.

However, last night, Beanpot final, huge game.... BC is coming through the neutral zone with speed, enters NU's zone... Roy is literally (and I know the meaning of that word) coasting back on D.... just completely gliding. A couple of other times I saw similar lack of effort.

Saponari has 1/10 of Roy's talent, but plays the game with so much more heart.

Clearly the stats and results don't lie. He has an NHL offensive game, but I'm not sure if he has everything else it takes.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:49 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post

Yeah he has great hands and great vision and good speed. He's clearly the most talented player on his team and thus often has to deal with teammates just not able to see the same things he does on the ice.

However, last night, Beanpot final, huge game.... BC is coming through the neutral zone with speed, enters NU's zone... Roy is literally (and I know the meaning of that word) coasting back on D.... just completely gliding. A couple of other times I saw similar lack of effort.

Clearly the stats and results don't lie. He has an NHL offensive game, but I'm not sure if he has everything else it takes.
Well he's got 3 more years to get all that together.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post

Saponari is a meathead and though I agree he works hard, I have to disagree with you about Roy. Roy doesn't look like he's digging that hard but then you see him conserving his energy when he bursts up his speed and beats the goalie over the shoulder. I don't like either of the kids so its irrelevant to me but he definitely gets alot of ice time and as such, he wasn't coasting. His actually usually in good position regardless. If he doesn't have the puck in the offensive zone and the pucks tied or looking about going the other way, he's already in the neutral zone waiting in good position.

Though I agree with you it looks like he's not putting in the effort, I disagree with you on the basis of it. He gets the lions share of ice time and when he does put on the jets, no DMan in Hockey East can handle him.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote