HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Tanking/Rebuilding/Selling at Deadline Thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 03:51 PM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Say we are close at the deadline and the team is playing like ****. I fully endorse dumping players for assets to get into the top 10. If we can move a few bigger contracts and open up spots for our youth so be it.

I am not for a complete over haul, we need some veterans here to mentor and protect the kids while keeping the team competitive. Drafting a pile of youth and surrounding them with scrubs and grinders is plain stupid and asking for disaster.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:53 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Say we are close at the deadline and the team is playing like ****. I fully endorse dumping players for assets to get into the top 10. If we can move a few bigger contracts and open up spots for our youth so be it.

I am not for a complete over haul, we need some veterans here to mentor and protect the kids while keeping the team competitive. Drafting a pile of youth and surrounding them with scrubs and grinders is plain stupid and asking for disaster.
Well-said.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Pleks was drafted 12 years ago, Price and Galchenyuk are those "horrible" top 5 picks you detest, Beaulieu, Tinordi and Gallagher have proven nothing at the NHL level and Pacioretty and Subban have what one good season under their belts? What about Franzen in 2004?

You are making a stronger case FOR tanking than against it.
I don't detest top 5 picks. I just detest the idea of aiming for them as a strategy.

So Detroit has Franzen, send him straight to the hall of fame at 50 points a year.

The Habs have outsdrafted Detroit since 2000...right or wrong?

Tanking only makes sense in the HF fantasy World, not the real world.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Notice how those teams were just bad and tried everything they could to win. No one goes into the season looking to lose, not even the Columbus BlueJackets. Getting top picks != tanking. You can't cite a single team in history that has deliberately done this. Zero. It's about time you get back to the drawing board. Funny how quiet this thread was a week ago and how dead it was 2 weeks ago.
That's right. And it STILL worked.

Imagine how much better it would've been for them if they'd just rebuilt on purpose? They would've accelerated the process and gotten things over sooner. The fact that they tanked unintentionally proves more than anything that rebuilding works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
It feels like some of you wish for the habs to lose so you can come on here and tout your xbox strategy to the rest of us as if it's some sort of revolutionary idea that has a high success rate and is often implemented, however, this isn't xbox, you can't rid our junk for other teams treasures. No one is against building through the draft, it's a key and vital area, but it's a small piece of big puzzle.
Please spare me the Xbox ******** when all I see here all the time is how we can get Corey Perry to sign with us. That kind of crap doesn't work. Rebuilding does.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

There are tons of examples to back it up too.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

I thought you loved PG because (according to you) he intentionally tanked... I guess not.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
real fans show they re true colors when faced with adversity.you are a quitter.plain and simple.
Haha I'm a quitter because I want to finish higher than 8-10th every season? Maybe you're too pleased with mediocrity

Old
02-12-2013, 04:30 PM
76ftw

vCash: 50
We should trade Galchenyuk and Gallagher imo. Without them we have a WAY better shot at a top 5 pick. Get rid of the fat imo.

do i even need

Old
02-12-2013, 05:16 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
5 top ten picks in seven years including 3 top five picks and a number one. They also had two 11th overall picks in that span. Detroit tanked almost as much as New Jersey and Quebec did. Notice that all three of those tanking teams won multiple cups in the 90s btw.

They tanked, got one of the best players of all time and then won multiple cups with him. Yzerman also won a Conn Smythe. It's stupid (not to mention dishonest) to try to pretend like these guys didn't tank. The Wings have been great for a long, long time but they absolutely tanked to get there.
yet, no one can explain why the team who has probably the most top 5 in their line-up have a hard time making the PO...

the stupidity, the dishonesty is thinking that's THE recipe for success... it's also stupid and dishonnest not to mention the Wings took TWELVE years after drafting SY to win something...

Old
02-12-2013, 05:17 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Haha I'm a quitter because I want to finish higher than 8-10th every season? Maybe you're too pleased with mediocrity
enjoy the losses.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:17 PM
DAChampion

Ginu, the losers are tge people who think that "making the playoffs" should be the goal.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:18 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Ginu, the losers are tge people who think that "making the playoffs" should be the goal.
Well, with things being the way they are, making the playoffs should always be first objective.

No point trying to run if you can't walk.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
We should trade Galchenyuk and Gallagher imo. Without them we have a WAY better shot at a top 5 pick. Get rid of the fat imo.

do i even need
Nice.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:23 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
actually, the losers are guys who happen to ENJOY losing... like you, him and LG actually.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:24 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
besides, I dont think you could name ONE SINGLE USER who think that.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:24 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
actually, the losers are guys who happen to ENJOY losing... like you, him and LG actually.
For the sake of argument, there's a difference between enjoying a loss and seeing the silver lining.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:25 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
For the sake of argument, there's a difference between enjoying a loss and seeing the silver lining.
considering how hard they try to convince everyone about their fantasy, enjoying is the right word.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:29 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
considering how hard they try to convince everyone about their fantasy, enjoying is the right word.
Seeing the habs win the cup befire 2020 is a fantasy?

Old
02-12-2013, 05:31 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't detest top 5 picks. I just detest the idea of aiming for them as a strategy.

So Detroit has Franzen, send him straight to the hall of fame at 50 points a year.

The Habs have outsdrafted Detroit since 2000...right or wrong?

Tanking only makes sense in the HF fantasy World, not the real world.
Oh so Franzen isn't going to the HOF for his 50 points but Subban is going to win the Norris and get into the HOF no problem right?

Ya we outdrafted the wings if we cut out their best years, amazing deduction. It also goes to show how hard it is to draft good prospects from later on which basically shoots your whole "anti-tank" plan to ****.

Once again you make a better case FOR tanking than against it.

Quote:
I thought you loved PG because (according to you) he intentionally tanked... I guess not.
I loved his mini tank and so does Bergevin. I am also very grateful he did not trade players like Markov and Pleks in a "scorched earth" style rebuild. Those 3 2nd rounders are gold.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
There's also a difference between giving up and moving on. A lot of folks still don't understand this.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
tanking doesnt exist. fairweather fans tank.pro athletes dont.
Again, you are mistaking "asking the players to shoot beside the net" and "asking the management to invest in their team by selling high and becoming a much better teams for years to come". Something we haven't see for the past 18 years now. A great team that is a REAL great team. Not a 1 year fluke. This is the Montreal Canadiens. We have to be great once again. We should have had the 10ish years than Detroit just had. And I surely want the next 10 years to what Boston is about to have.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:39 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
There's also a difference between giving up and moving on. A lot of folks still don't understand this.
I would probably rather use the term 'tactical withdrawal', but as you were

Old
02-12-2013, 05:43 PM
haburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post

do i even need
get rid of pk and price too.then we'll finish last for sure.think about how good we could be if we get the 1st overall.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I would probably rather use the term 'tactical withdrawal', but as you were
That works too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Again, you are mistaking "asking the players to shoot beside the net" and "asking the management to invest in their team by selling high and becoming a much better teams for years to come". Something we haven't see for the past 18 years now. A great team that is a REAL great team. Not a 1 year fluke. This is the Montreal Canadiens. We have to be great once again. We should have had the 10ish years than Detroit just had. And I surely want the next 10 years to what Boston is about to have.
Boston is going to be scary.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:54 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Seeing the habs win the cup befire 2020 is a fantasy?

considering you're the guy thinking Perry would jump on the chance to sign with us, that another tank year should help us within the next two or three years, etc.

You sure know a lot about fantasies.

Closed Thread