HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 3.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2013, 11:31 AM
  #726
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
No.

Hopefully the habs gamble with a 2nd round pick on some guy with limited skills, but a bruiser.
Yup lets pull an Edmonton and draft a goon in round 2

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 11:33 AM
  #727
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treb View Post
We can get Orr type guy in the 4th-7th round. I'd prefer skilled (higher than 6' if possible) guys over guys that have 30 times more chances becoming Orr than Lucic.
Why not take a gamble on someone who might be able to be big, skilled and tough as hell ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Yup lets pull an Edmonton and draft a goon in round 2
I'm not talking at the start of the 2nd round if we have a 2nd there. I'm talking middle, to late 2nd. Nashville's pick.

Analyzer is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 11:49 AM
  #728
Top Corner2
Registered User
 
Top Corner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,574
vCash: 500
No I agree...


The 2nd round is the perfect place to pick up toughness....because you can find guys that have enough skill to actually play...

Top Corner2 is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 12:55 PM
  #729
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
No I agree...


The 2nd round is the perfect place to pick up toughness....because you can find guys that have enough skill to actually play...
If you can grab a guy (even though if it's in the 2nd) who has a 80% chance to make it as a 3rd liner/weak 2nd liner with added size and toughness, you take him.

If it doesn't work out, it's 1 of 3 2nd rounders. Plus, we've attempted to take skill over size before it didn't workout. It goes both way.

Analyzer is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 01:46 PM
  #730
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
If you can grab a guy (even though if it's in the 2nd) who has a 80% chance to make it as a 3rd liner/weak 2nd liner with added size and toughness, you take him.

If it doesn't work out, it's 1 of 3 2nd rounders. Plus, we've attempted to take skill over size before it didn't workout. It goes both way.
I don't like this sort of mentality in the first round (See Tyler Biggs and the Leafs ) but in the 2nd? Especially when you have multiple picks, there's really no problem sacrificing a bit of upside for toughness, as long as it's not done with every single pick. We've attempted to take skill over size and size over skill before, both with mixed results, so instead of blindly following a formula, the best bet is to see what's available when we pick. At this point unless another guy with first line upside falls us like Collberg again, we don't really need any more small 2nd liners.

The only thing I'd avoid in the second round is guys with no upside whatsoever.

Et le But is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 01:47 PM
  #731
Treb
Registered User
 
Treb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
If you can grab a guy (even though if it's in the 2nd) who has a 80% chance to make it as a 3rd liner/weak 2nd liner with added size and toughness, you take him.

If it doesn't work out, it's 1 of 3 2nd rounders. Plus, we've attempted to take skill over size before it didn't workout. It goes both way.
I understand now, could be a good move. We just didn't have the same definition of limited skills. 2nd line tweeners with size should be great for a late 2nd round pick

Treb is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 01:49 PM
  #732
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I don't like this sort of mentality in the first round (See Tyler Biggs and the Leafs ) but in the 2nd? Especially when you have multiple picks, there's really no problem sacrificing a bit of upside for toughness, as long as it's not done with every single pick.
If Calgary finishes low and their 2nd round pick is near the start I'd take the BPA. If that player is smalland tremendously skilled ? Fine, if he's big, tough, mean and skilled ? Sweet, even better.

Analyzer is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 02:34 PM
  #733
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
If Calgary finishes low and their 2nd round pick is near the start I'd take the BPA. If that player is smalland tremendously skilled ? Fine, if he's big, tough, mean and skilled ? Sweet, even better.
With the Nashville pick I agree we should have a little luxury to focus on need instead of simply BPA. I think we tried something like that with Thrower, who was a decent pick but was probably overhyped somewhat by his "toughness" despite his size, and right now that's looking like our worst pick from last year, but the thought behind it was still right IMO.

Et le But is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 02:39 PM
  #734
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treb View Post
I understand now, could be a good move. We just didn't have the same definition of limited skills. 2nd line tweeners with size should be great for a late 2nd round pick
I could have worded it better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
With the Nashville pick I agree we should have a little luxury to focus on need instead of simply BPA. I think we tried something like that with Thrower, who was a decent pick but was probably overhyped somewhat by his "toughness" despite his size, and right now that's looking like our worst pick from last year, but the thought behind it was still right IMO.
Well there's his toughness and his points. Looking at the mock drafts a couple had him just sneaking into the 1st round. The Blades as a whole struggled. Thrower is starting to come back around.

Analyzer is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 09:10 PM
  #735
S Bah
Registered User
 
S Bah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 5,346
vCash: 500
With the trio of people responsible for choosing the Habs draft picks,MB,RD and TT there should be nothing to worry about when they are in charge,unlike the past 20 yrs.

S Bah is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 09:21 PM
  #736
Top Corner2
Registered User
 
Top Corner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
If you can grab a guy (even though if it's in the 2nd) who has a 80% chance to make it as a 3rd liner/weak 2nd liner with added size and toughness, you take him.

If it doesn't work out, it's 1 of 3 2nd rounders. Plus, we've attempted to take skill over size before it didn't workout. It goes both way.
who knows you also might get a Wayne Simmons

Top Corner2 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 12:43 PM
  #737
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,955
vCash: 50
Was just doing some research for my game tonight and dug this up.

Darren Dietz and Duncan Siemens have been paired together for Saskatoon since January 23rd. Since that time, the Blades have gone 8-1, outscoring the opposition 43-14 in that span. The two really play off each other well as it allows Dietz to roam and Siemens to hang back and defend.

Dietz has put up 4 goals and 11 points in the 9 games as both players sit +14 in those 9 games. Impressive stuff.


As a side bar, I talked to Darren last week about any potential contract talks he's had with the Habs as he needs to be signed by the start of June before going back into the NHL draft. He said it's Bergevin's policy not to talk contract during the year. So, we'll see how it goes for him, but you guys better sign this kid. Likely to play solid AHL minutes next year and maybe be in the NHL within a couple more seasons.

R S is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:04 PM
  #738
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Was just doing some research for my game tonight and dug this up.

Darren Dietz and Duncan Siemens have been paired together for Saskatoon since January 23rd. Since that time, the Blades have gone 8-1, outscoring the opposition 43-14 in that span. The two really play off each other well as it allows Dietz to roam and Siemens to hang back and defend.

Dietz has put up 4 goals and 11 points in the 9 games as both players sit +14 in those 9 games. Impressive stuff.


As a side bar, I talked to Darren last week about any potential contract talks he's had with the Habs as he needs to be signed by the start of June before going back into the NHL draft. He said it's Bergevin's policy not to talk contract during the year. So, we'll see how it goes for him, but you guys better sign this kid. Likely to play solid AHL minutes next year and maybe be in the NHL within a couple more seasons.
there's no chance we don't sign dietz, for all the reasons you mentioned

overlords is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:11 PM
  #739
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Was just doing some research for my game tonight and dug this up.

Darren Dietz and Duncan Siemens have been paired together for Saskatoon since January 23rd. Since that time, the Blades have gone 8-1, outscoring the opposition 43-14 in that span. The two really play off each other well as it allows Dietz to roam and Siemens to hang back and defend.

Dietz has put up 4 goals and 11 points in the 9 games as both players sit +14 in those 9 games. Impressive stuff.


As a side bar, I talked to Darren last week about any potential contract talks he's had with the Habs as he needs to be signed by the start of June before going back into the NHL draft. He said it's Bergevin's policy not to talk contract during the year. So, we'll see how it goes for him, but you guys better sign this kid. Likely to play solid AHL minutes next year and maybe be in the NHL within a couple more seasons.
I can see not wanting to negotiate with NHLers but we should be agressively trying to sign our darft picks, even if it's during the year.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 02:33 PM
  #740
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,572
vCash: 500
Watched Dartmouth play on Sunday, never finished the game as it was boring as hell. While Walsh was held off the score-sheet, I thought he was moving better this time around then the game I saw earlier on. He was playing on the LW for a change. Looks like I will get to see him again this weekend.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
As a side bar, I talked to Darren last week about any potential contract talks he's had with the Habs as he needs to be signed by the start of June before going back into the NHL draft. He said it's Bergevin's policy not to talk contract during the year. So, we'll see how it goes for him, but you guys better sign this kid. Likely to play solid AHL minutes next year and maybe be in the NHL within a couple more seasons.
Unless Dietz has some unreal contract demands I don't see how he's not signed at some point before June 1st. Thrower should be inked at some point in the off-season as well even though he doesn't have to be.

montreal is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:27 PM
  #741
niftymove
Registered User
 
niftymove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
No point for Nygren and Collberg as their clubs plaid against each other this afternoon.

But both had the second highest number of shots on goal for their team: Nygren 4 -Collberg 5.

Encouraging to see that number with Collberg. Somewhere he should have had some significant time on ice.

niftymove is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:46 PM
  #742
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,356
vCash: 500
Are Dietz and Thrower friends? This could help with their signing if they want to stay on the same team.

OneSharpMarble is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:51 PM
  #743
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,255
vCash: 500
We have another gm who doesn't talk contract during the season ?

Analyzer is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:52 PM
  #744
Shutdown
Registered User
 
Shutdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
We have another gm who doesn't talk contract during the season ?
I'm sure it's more for guys in junior.

Shutdown is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 05:20 PM
  #745
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Are Dietz and Thrower friends? This could help with their signing if they want to stay on the same team.
I don't see why they'd need any more encouragement to sign. Not like getting decent to good CHL'ers to sign is some challenge. Or do you mean 5 or so years down the line when they're nhlers?

overlords is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 06:34 PM
  #746
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,719
vCash: 500
Bergevin's policy is not to talk contract during the year? Seriously? Geez, the bridge contract and now this policy....

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 06:41 PM
  #747
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Bergevin's policy is not to talk contract during the year? Seriously? Geez, the bridge contract and now this policy....
It would be so silly to constrain yourself with policies like these. I honestly don't believe it is true. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think anybody actually qualified to hold these positions would handcuff themselves like that.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 06:46 PM
  #748
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Was just doing some research for my game tonight and dug this up.

Darren Dietz and Duncan Siemens have been paired together for Saskatoon since January 23rd. Since that time, the Blades have gone 8-1, outscoring the opposition 43-14 in that span. The two really play off each other well as it allows Dietz to roam and Siemens to hang back and defend.

Dietz has put up 4 goals and 11 points in the 9 games as both players sit +14 in those 9 games. Impressive stuff.


As a side bar, I talked to Darren last week about any potential contract talks he's had with the Habs as he needs to be signed by the start of June before going back into the NHL draft. He said it's Bergevin's policy not to talk contract during the year. So, we'll see how it goes for him, but you guys better sign this kid. Likely to play solid AHL minutes next year and maybe be in the NHL within a couple more seasons.
While you're here might as well ask you a question How is Thrower's game nowadays, I believe from I've heard/read online, he had a pretty rough start (like most of the team). Is he picking up where he left off last year or he could still be more physical/produce more offensively?

Thanks for your time.

Chris Cutter is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 06:47 PM
  #749
habsprospects
Irresponsible User
 
habsprospects's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sherbrooke, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,820
vCash: 500
IIRC, ELC contracts signed before March 1st, would be starting for 2012-13, if teams wait after that, they can make them start this season or next.

__________________

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 06:48 PM
  #750
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Bergevin's policy is not to talk contract during the year? Seriously? Geez, the bridge contract and now this policy....
It would make sense for prospects that we are uncertain of signing like Walsh and Archambault to wait for their season to be over in order to evaluate them properly and not waste a contract on them if they believe they have no future in the organization. But on this case in makes no sense since I think it's almost a no-brainer that Dietz will be signed baring some catastrophe.

Chris Cutter is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.