HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
No.

Hopefully the habs gamble with a 2nd round pick on some guy with limited skills, but a bruiser.
Yup lets pull an Edmonton and draft a goon in round 2

Old
02-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treb View Post
We can get Orr type guy in the 4th-7th round. I'd prefer skilled (higher than 6' if possible) guys over guys that have 30 times more chances becoming Orr than Lucic.
Why not take a gamble on someone who might be able to be big, skilled and tough as hell ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Yup lets pull an Edmonton and draft a goon in round 2
I'm not talking at the start of the 2nd round if we have a 2nd there. I'm talking middle, to late 2nd. Nashville's pick.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Top Corner2

No I agree...

The 2nd round is the perfect place to pick up toughness....because you can find guys that have enough skill to actually play...

Old
02-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
No I agree...

The 2nd round is the perfect place to pick up toughness....because you can find guys that have enough skill to actually play...
If you can grab a guy (even though if it's in the 2nd) who has a 80% chance to make it as a 3rd liner/weak 2nd liner with added size and toughness, you take him.

If it doesn't work out, it's 1 of 3 2nd rounders. Plus, we've attempted to take skill over size before it didn't workout. It goes both way.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Et le But

Quote:
If you can grab a guy (even though if it's in the 2nd) who has a 80% chance to make it as a 3rd liner/weak 2nd liner with added size and toughness, you take him.

If it doesn't work out, it's 1 of 3 2nd rounders. Plus, we've attempted to take skill over size before it didn't workout. It goes both way.
I don't like this sort of mentality in the first round (See Tyler Biggs and the Leafs ) but in the 2nd? Especially when you have multiple picks, there's really no problem sacrificing a bit of upside for toughness, as long as it's not done with every single pick. We've attempted to take skill over size and size over skill before, both with mixed results, so instead of blindly following a formula, the best bet is to see what's available when we pick. At this point unless another guy with first line upside falls us like Collberg again, we don't really need any more small 2nd liners.

The only thing I'd avoid in the second round is guys with no upside whatsoever.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Treb

Quote:

I understand now, could be a good move. We just didn't have the same definition of limited skills. 2nd line tweeners with size should be great for a late 2nd round pick

Old
02-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I don't like this sort of mentality in the first round (See Tyler Biggs and the Leafs ) but in the 2nd? Especially when you have multiple picks, there's really no problem sacrificing a bit of upside for toughness, as long as it's not done with every single pick.
If Calgary finishes low and their 2nd round pick is near the start I'd take the BPA. If that player is smalland tremendously skilled ? Fine, if he's big, tough, mean and skilled ? Sweet, even better.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Et le But

Quote:
If Calgary finishes low and their 2nd round pick is near the start I'd take the BPA. If that player is smalland tremendously skilled ? Fine, if he's big, tough, mean and skilled ? Sweet, even better.
With the Nashville pick I agree we should have a little luxury to focus on need instead of simply BPA. I think we tried something like that with Thrower, who was a decent pick but was probably overhyped somewhat by his "toughness" despite his size, and right now that's looking like our worst pick from last year, but the thought behind it was still right IMO.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treb View Post
I understand now, could be a good move. We just didn't have the same definition of limited skills. 2nd line tweeners with size should be great for a late 2nd round pick
I could have worded it better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
With the Nashville pick I agree we should have a little luxury to focus on need instead of simply BPA. I think we tried something like that with Thrower, who was a decent pick but was probably overhyped somewhat by his "toughness" despite his size, and right now that's looking like our worst pick from last year, but the thought behind it was still right IMO.
Well there's his toughness and his points. Looking at the mock drafts a couple had him just sneaking into the 1st round. The Blades as a whole struggled. Thrower is starting to come back around.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:10 PM
S Bah

With the trio of people responsible for choosing the Habs draft picks,MB,RD and TT there should be nothing to worry about when they are in charge,unlike the past 20 yrs.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:

who knows you also might get a Wayne Simmons

Old
02-12-2013, 12:43 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
Was just doing some research for my game tonight and dug this up.

Darren Dietz and Duncan Siemens have been paired together for Saskatoon since January 23rd. Since that time, the Blades have gone 8-1, outscoring the opposition 43-14 in that span. The two really play off each other well as it allows Dietz to roam and Siemens to hang back and defend.

Dietz has put up 4 goals and 11 points in the 9 games as both players sit +14 in those 9 games. Impressive stuff.

As a side bar, I talked to Darren last week about any potential contract talks he's had with the Habs as he needs to be signed by the start of June before going back into the NHL draft. He said it's Bergevin's policy not to talk contract during the year. So, we'll see how it goes for him, but you guys better sign this kid. Likely to play solid AHL minutes next year and maybe be in the NHL within a couple more seasons.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:04 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post

Darren Dietz and Duncan Siemens have been paired together for Saskatoon since January 23rd. Since that time, the Blades have gone 8-1, outscoring the opposition 43-14 in that span. The two really play off each other well as it allows Dietz to roam and Siemens to hang back and defend.

Dietz has put up 4 goals and 11 points in the 9 games as both players sit +14 in those 9 games. Impressive stuff.

As a side bar, I talked to Darren last week about any potential contract talks he's had with the Habs as he needs to be signed by the start of June before going back into the NHL draft. He said it's Bergevin's policy not to talk contract during the year. So, we'll see how it goes for him, but you guys better sign this kid. Likely to play solid AHL minutes next year and maybe be in the NHL within a couple more seasons.
there's no chance we don't sign dietz, for all the reasons you mentioned

Old
02-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

I can see not wanting to negotiate with NHLers but we should be agressively trying to sign our darft picks, even if it's during the year.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:33 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Watched Dartmouth play on Sunday, never finished the game as it was boring as hell. While Walsh was held off the score-sheet, I thought he was moving better this time around then the game I saw earlier on. He was playing on the LW for a change. Looks like I will get to see him again this weekend.

Quote:
Unless Dietz has some unreal contract demands I don't see how he's not signed at some point before June 1st. Thrower should be inked at some point in the off-season as well even though he doesn't have to be.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:27 PM
niftymove

No point for Nygren and Collberg as their clubs plaid against each other this afternoon.

But both had the second highest number of shots on goal for their team: Nygren 4 -Collberg 5.

Encouraging to see that number with Collberg. Somewhere he should have had some significant time on ice.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:46 PM
OneSharpMarble

Are Dietz and Thrower friends? This could help with their signing if they want to stay on the same team.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

We have another gm who doesn't talk contract during the season ?

Old
02-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
We have another gm who doesn't talk contract during the season ?
I'm sure it's more for guys in junior.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:20 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Are Dietz and Thrower friends? This could help with their signing if they want to stay on the same team.
I don't see why they'd need any more encouragement to sign. Not like getting decent to good CHL'ers to sign is some challenge. Or do you mean 5 or so years down the line when they're nhlers?

Old
02-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Bergevin's policy is not to talk contract during the year? Seriously? Geez, the bridge contract and now this policy....

Old
02-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Bergevin's policy is not to talk contract during the year? Seriously? Geez, the bridge contract and now this policy....
It would be so silly to constrain yourself with policies like these. I honestly don't believe it is true. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think anybody actually qualified to hold these positions would handcuff themselves like that.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:46 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:

While you're here might as well ask you a question How is Thrower's game nowadays, I believe from I've heard/read online, he had a pretty rough start (like most of the team). Is he picking up where he left off last year or he could still be more physical/produce more offensively?

Thanks for your time.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:47 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

IIRC, ELC contracts signed before March 1st, would be starting for 2012-13, if teams wait after that, they can make them start this season or next.

Habs Prospects website
Old
02-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
It would make sense for prospects that we are uncertain of signing like Walsh and Archambault to wait for their season to be over in order to evaluate them properly and not waste a contract on them if they believe they have no future in the organization. But on this case in makes no sense since I think it's almost a no-brainer that Dietz will be signed baring some catastrophe.

Closed Thread