HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals: Version IV - Kings & Rangers are low..trade?

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 01:57 PM
New Liskeard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
He's terrible, I watched intently last night and he looked like an AHLer. Seriously, I think the guy has had a nice run but he is a marginal NHL talent. At best I see him bottom pairing when dust settles, but most nights a scratch. Holzer and Fraser are earning more minutes, ditto for Franson and Liles is simply a better D. When Jake and Gunner slot back in , this guy isn't going to be playing.
Why would a coach who has won a stanely cup, was a Norris trophy winner, play such a horrible defenceman? Maybe Carlyle has no clue??

Old
02-12-2013, 02:03 PM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
... Sounds like an honest/funny guy... But I'm glad he's no longer employed by the Leafs lol.

To be fair, Clarkson was a bit of a project and required a lot of development, who knows how he would have turned out here.

Yeah, he's certainly funny/honest about it. I'm sure he knows his ship as an NHL scout has sailed so he's not trying to justify or back peddle to save face.

Interesting to hear some of the Leaf related things he's said though.

And I agree, Clarkson may have turned out to be nothing here.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:04 PM
BertCorbeau
The Sidebartender

I wonder if Kostka's going to be trade bait going forward given how the rest of the defence has stepped up and played so well

If Nonis puts Kostka on waivers, he'll surely get scooped up at this point .. Some other team would probably have interest in him

Old
02-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
Maybe they'd be intrigued by Joe Colborne? We'd have to add to that, but could it be enough to get Colorado's attention??
What about Colborne and Gardiner for Ryan O'Reilly

Old
02-12-2013, 02:20 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Why would a coach who has won a stanely cup, was a Norris trophy winner, play such a horrible defenceman? Maybe Carlyle has no clue??
I predict he's in the press box soon as Gunner is back, perhaps back in minors when Gardiner gets it together. You'll note he is falling down the depth chart as we speak. Carlyle also admitted it was a mistake to play him so much earlier this year.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:21 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
I wonder if Kostka's going to be trade bait going forward given how the rest of the defence has stepped up and played so well

If Nonis puts Kostka on waivers, he'll surely get scooped up at this point .. Some other team would probably have interest in him
I agree. Hard to gauge his trade value though. 2 months ago, he could probably at best get a 7th round pick, or just be a minor-league trade. Now? Maybe a 4th?

Old
02-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
NO thank you.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:22 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
We have too many bodies as it is on our pro roster. This doesn't help that.

02-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
If we can somehow get Perry via UFA, we'd be really deep on wings.

JvR, Kessel, Perry, Kulemin, Frattin, Lupul.

And then Kadri, Bozak, Grabovski, McClement on C. Thats a very powerful group of forwards.

Add fighters like Orr and agitators like Komarov too.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:28 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I predict he's in the press box soon as Gunner is back, perhaps back in minors when Gardiner gets it together. You'll note he is falling down the depth chart as we speak. Carlyle also admitted it was a mistake to play him so much earlier this year.
That's not what you said. You said he was a marginal talent, and I asked you how can a former Norris trophy Dman, and NHL coach not notice this, yet you can??

Old
02-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

Why does everyone keep putting Gardiner in their proposals. Can we just keep him. It's probably the same people who kept having Kadri, Bozak, Frattin in their trade proposals before the season began.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:29 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Gardiner types are harder to find then O´Reilly´s so I dont see why we would also have to add Colborne. The ROR love on HFB is a bit to much at times.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Gardiner types are harder to find then O´Reilly´s so I dont see why we would also have to add Colborne. The ROR love on HFB is a bit to much at times.
Agreed.

People seem way too low on Gardiner. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him back up by the end of the month wheeling around like we saw last year.

On ROR; Like him as a player a lot, But I'm just very wary his offensive upside and if he could be consistent 60pts considering he'll probably ask for around $4m per.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:05 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
Agreed.

People seem way too low on Gardiner. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him back up by the end of the month wheeling around like we saw last year.

On ROR; Like him as a player a lot, But I'm just very wary his offensive upside and if he could be consistent 60pts considering he'll probably ask for around $4m per.
Agreed

Gardiner is a player I want to hold on to for as long as possible. He is not great defensively but as we have seen with several players on our roster already, playing in a solid defensive system somewhat make up for it and learning to play defense is a lot easier then learning how to create offense. Imagine in a few seasons (perhaps even next) when we can have Gardiner and Reilly on the blue line. Add Phaneuf and we will have a offensive threat on each defensive pairing.

Not saying I would not like ROR on the Leafs but not at the price of Gardiner.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Defense

I think Washington and Toronto would make good trading parnters. Washington can pull out a fast rebuild in full swing (last place 3-8-1).

Old
02-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense View Post
I think Washington and Toronto would make good trading parnters. Washington can pull out a fast rebuild in full swing (last place 3-8-1).
Backstrom PLEASE!!!

Grabovski + 1st

DONE and DONE

even though i LOVE this draft class Backstrom would be perfect for us with Kessel! Bozak can slide into the 3 hole.

JVR - Backstrom - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
Komarov - Bozak - Kulemin

that is just silly good!

Old
02-12-2013, 04:47 PM
416Leafer

Washington aint moving Backstrom. They'll spend the next 5+ years looking for a #1 C if they move him.

If there's a deal with Washington, I'd assume it would be for one of our wingers to be an upgrade over Ward, Brouwer, and Wolski in terms of scoring. Maybe they'd want MacArthur in a small deal.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:48 PM
leugangen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense View Post
They are a team I'd want to trade with if we were in opposite spots (i.e. Kessel for Forsberg and a 1st).

Old
02-12-2013, 05:01 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
Why does everyone keep putting Gardiner in their proposals. Can we just keep him. It's probably the same people who kept having Kadri, Bozak, Frattin in their trade proposals before the season began.
Agreed. Keep Jake

imagine Kadri tearing it up on the Canucks right now. That's a sickening thought

Old
02-12-2013, 05:02 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
Backstrom PLEASE!!!

Grabovski + 1st

DONE and DONE

even though i LOVE this draft class Backstrom would be perfect for us with Kessel! Bozak can slide into the 3 hole.

JVR - Backstrom - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
Komarov - Bozak - Kulemin

that is just silly good!
I would love him too. But if your looking at it from Washington's perspective, why would they give up Backstrom? IMO of all their players I think he is the one that wouldn't go anywhere.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:12 PM
threeGo

Right now I see us trading MacArthur + Gunnarsson in a package for a center or just picks/prospects. Our Defence will have an open spot now for gardiner (take out kostka or fraser, liles isn't going anywhere with that contract). Gunnarsson can net us something good because teams/ppl are starting to realize that he is pretty good at what he does.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:12 PM
buntek

Anyone who proposes the Leafs trade away a 1st round pick or young, cheap prospects can "shove it up their nose"

Some people never learn....

Old
02-12-2013, 05:14 PM
threeGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
I would love him too. But if your looking at it from Washington's perspective, why would they give up Backstrom? IMO of all their players I think he is the one that wouldn't go anywhere.
Washington needs a shake up. They are easily headed for a top 3 pick and it seems like backstrom has checked out with green. Move backstrom to toronto for 1st + grabo. This likely solidifies our playoff spot so the 1st will be in the 17 - 20 range (assume 1st round knockout). They get a good second line center and they draft mackinnon/barkov/jones/drouin. If I were them I'd seriously consider doing it. But we are taking a risk because backstrom might amount to nothing more than what grabovski is doing for us now. As a leaf, I rather not do it.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Gardiner Expressway

vCash: 450
Just starting to read about the cap situation for the coming offseason. Can anyone give rough yrs/value for contracts that the following guys might get this summer?

UFA
Bozak
Macarthur
Kostka
Kadri

RFA
Kadri
Gunnarsson
Franson (if he maintains this improvement)
---

Old
02-12-2013, 05:49 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
Backstrom has more value than any leaf. It'll take more than Grabo and a first to get a career ppg #1 center.

Think Kessal +

Closed Thread