HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What Happened to Paul Stastny?

Old
02-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Even when Stastny was getting 79 points he was irrelevant most of the time on the ice. He never was flashy or dominated the play of game.
Yeah, that's just not true. Stastny at his best, controls the game down low, cycling the puck and thread sexy passes. Now he just kinda floats around aimlessly.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Burke the Legend

He was overrated cuz of his #s on a crazy run & gun offence. In reality on a team trying to be more disciplined defensively he is not a potential 90 point superstar but more of a 50-70 point centreman somewhere between #10-40 in terms of centermen points.

I mean maybe you could say he could get 80-90 with all star wingers but that's true for most centremen in this range.

Burke the Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Yeah, that's just not true. Stastny at his best, controls the game down low, cycling the puck and thread sexy passes. Now he just kinda floats around aimlessly.
I don't consider that controlling the game. And at his best in his rookie year he didn't do any board work.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
He's a playmaker and needs his wingers to finish to get points. McGinn hit five posts playing with Stastny the first five games. David Jones has be brutal this far.

Hopefully when Landeskog get back, he'll play with Stastny.
Actually, it was reported that it was EIGHT POSTS in the first 5 games. Then Landeskog got injured and Joe "Hi, I'm a genius" Sucko put McGinn with the Duchene line and he's scored exactly 1 goal and zero posts and barely any chances since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
Never go full Ovechkin.
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
While he may be blamed for some parts of his "regression", anything that does not start and end with Sacco's "system" is wrong.
I believe say that Sacco has 'a system' is lauded praise indeed. He's easily the worse coach in the league and it's not really close.

Quote:
Last year it was Landy and ROR, this year it's Duchene by far and he's been slightly better in the faceoff. If he improves everyone he plays with why has Mcginn looked better with Matt? Jones still sucks?

In your real world Sacco is a good coach so, excuse me if I don't think too highly of your opinion. Hell just last game even the Stastny lovers said he had a poor game and you said he quietly had a good game. Anyway, I'm done with this.
He hasn't. McGinn picked up some assists and ONE goal but apart from that, his scoring chances have been non-existent and he hasn't meshed as well with that line as he was playing with Stastny for the first 5 games of the year.

Quote:
THAT'S actually not true. You might really want to take a step back and see things for what they are, rather than just HATE on the guy the way you keep doing. [Nahhh, you're not doing that ...lol geez, dial it back a notch]

So, since none of the external forces every Avs fan keep referring to are Stastny's fault and these are all basically just excuses, just answer this ONE question for me, if you can:

Why does Stastny have the biggest contract, the most pressure but CLEARLY NOT the best wingers to go with that, to give him the best chance to succeed??

I'll be waiting for your answer.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:40 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Statsny is a guy I wouldn't mind having the Kings acquire to play with Jeff Carter.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

same thing that happened to Gomez

- got paid

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
So, since none of the external forces every Avs fan keep referring to are Stastny's fault and these are all basically just excuses, just answer this ONE question for me, if you can:

Why does Stastny have the biggest contract, the most pressure but CLEARLY NOT the best wingers to go with that, to give him the best chance to succeed??

I'll be waiting for your answer.
Well just because it's you bendy I'll answer. Why, does stastny have the biggest contract, well he had great years leading up to his contract year and was negotiating with a moron. Poor Duchty and Ryan have to battle an accountant.

Most pressure, from who exactly? Nobodies on a message board? I have yet to see Sacco demote him bench him or even call him out, like he has with so many other players Liles, Gags, Duchene,Hejda, Varly, etc etc. Even in the media he gets a free pass. I would say the pressure has gotten to Paul but what pressure? A cookie if you get the refrence.

As far as I'm concenred he doesn't deserve the best wingers because he's not the best centerman.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:38 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

The rest of his team is garbage ..

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
The rest of his team is garbage ..

He's 4th in scoring and being out scored by the 3rd line centre Mitchell(I wonder who these superstars he's been playing with) Oh, that's right the washed Hejduk that was apprently dragging Stastny down. I guess Mitchell is really in fact Malkin, after all he can produce with worse linemates.

Last edited by Duchene2MacKinnon: 02-12-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 04:12 PM
AslanRH
Guenin Get Out

vCash: 354
Starting to wonder if they should try and put Jones on his off wing with Stazz. Seem to remember a few teams doing that at times with guys to give them a different look. I don't really know the pros and cons of doing that, but what could it hurt?

Last edited by AslanRH: 02-12-2013 at 05:02 PM.
AslanRH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Devilspuppet666

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit916 View Post
If you think he's past his prime... then you haven't been paying close enough attention to him. He's still really good.

Check how many defensive face offs he's taking and what his role has been this year. Without a legit shutdown line, Sacco's used him as the checking center to take most of the defensive zone face offs and faced the other teams best players.

Take into account these were his wingers last year:
Kobasew/Galiardi/Winnik/Lindstrom/Jones/McGinn

Here's who he's playing with now:
Mitchell/Hejduk

The one competent guy he's had since Stewart was shipped, is now on Duchene's line... none of the other guys above would be in any legit top 6 save for maybe Jones (but he's streaky). Unless your name is Sidney Crosby, no ones putting up 90 points with the likes of those guys...

His goal scoring output has been consistent his entire career, averaging roughly 22 goals a year, it's his assists that have dropped off. If you've watched him play, you can see how many open nets McGinn/Jones have missed... hell McGinn had 8 posts in the first 6-7 games.

He's not an elite level player, he can't make average players look really good, but he does possess hockey smarts and a very good passing ability.
his production is higher than Stastny
i know its only a point and its the start of the season but i kinda find it funny

i jsut dont consider stastny elite, or #1 center material i think hes a better #2 center

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:45 PM
JoemAvs

He is the player on the Avs that needs a change the most right now.

We need a new coach. Every Avs fan knows this. Sacco should have been fired at the end of the 2011 season where we had one of the most epic collapses you will ever see. But management did not see it that way.
They even extended him last year. Avs are absolutely putrid offensively.

We have no system (ok we try to dump and chase but completely suck at it) and went away from the dynamic small puck moving defense in order to get "tougher". Well it completely backfired. Anemic is a word that not even remotely describes the Avs offense. We only score on opposing breakdowns or individual moves.

It is basically the worst possible situation for a playmaker like Stastny.Add his linemates and the fact that we never get any PPs (did we crack the record for fewest last year?) and that he obviously does not care much anymore about this mess and you are close to the reason for his drop.

I still think that he would be a dynamite player for a good team with a system that benefits him and that has a star winger he could play with.

Sadly I think that the Avs will not become that.
I guess he will just walk in 1.5 years. And I don't really blame him.

He is invisible nowadays during many games but if McGinn did not set a record for posts during the first 6 games he would be close to a PPG despite not showing any effort for many games.

Avs desperately need an organisational cleanout. If that happens we might have a chance at seeing the old Stastny return. But with the Kroenke's I really really doubt that this will happen

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:57 PM
ForumNamePending

It's still early in the season so perhaps he will rebound. His production over the past few seasons is definitely trending in the wrong direction though so perhaps a rebound shouldn't be expected.

Maybe things have just gone stale and change of scenery or coaching staff will turn things around. Perhaps his best years really are behind him. Not everyone follows the curve of continiously improving until they are 27, maintaining their peak for 3-4 years and then gradually declining before gracefully retiring in their late 30s.

ForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote