HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Nikolai Goldobin - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2014, 27th overall, San Jose)

Old
01-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Why? Gally-Sarault-Boucher is the best line in the OHL right now
So he doesn't have to be forced to play wing and it gives the Sting 2 good lines.

LW-Galchenyuk-Goldobin
LW-Sarault-Boucher

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Canuck71

vCash: 500
This kid is gunna be a good one. Such a slick hockey player the way he maneuvers around the ice. Had 1G, 2A against london last week. One of the assists was highlight reel. Heres the video: 0:54 seconds mark

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/video...12a044714e5c19

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Hockeysemin

Hockeysemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:56 AM
ForeverHabs97

I'd love to see this guy get drafted by the habs (:

ForeverHabs97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 09:17 AM
Kronner55

For anyone that has seen him who would you compare him to? And were do you expect him to go in this years draft?

Kronner55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 10:53 AM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
I'd love to see him on the Habs.

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Goldobin's a tough one to compare. He's got strong skating and good hands, but he's not really a puck carrier or heavy stickhandler. His MO is others create and he positions himself stealthily and pounces on open shots. His release is very quick, no hesitation, puts the puck where he wants, and can pick apart a goalie in a split second. Very productive player on the PP.

Maybe a very, very lite Marian Hossa?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Kronner55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Goldobin's a tough one to compare. He's got strong skating and good hands, but he's not really a puck carrier or heavy stickhandler. His MO is others create and he positions himself stealthily and pounces on open shots. His release is very quick, no hesitation, puts the puck where he wants, and can pick apart a goalie in a split second. Very productive player on the PP.

Okay, what would you say his top ceiling is and his likelihood of him reaching it?

Kronner55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronner55 View Post
Okay, what would you say his top ceiling is and his likelihood of him reaching it?
As of now, 2nd line goal scoring winger. Not sure if he's adjusting to NA, and not totally comfortable yet. If he is still getting his confidence, his game and his upside will evolve rapidly. I think he is a very smart and skilled forward.

Old
01-21-2014, 05:11 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

This gotta become the biggest riser, sick skill and good speed. Pretty good size too. Wouldn't be shocked if he went top5.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 05:26 PM
Felix Perreault

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
This gotta become the biggest riser, sick skill and good speed. Pretty good size too. Wouldn't be shocked if he went top5.
You have to consider he is russian. If Nichushkin have fell like this, it will be hard to be pick in the top 5 for Goldobin. But I agree he is really skilled and fast. One of the best pure talent of the draft.

Felix Perreault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 05:33 PM
thomashefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post

watched him play the gens on sunday and came away unimpressed. seemed disinterested and stuck to peripheral zones. wayyy more impressed with dal colle

thomashefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 07:12 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

He'll be a guy a lot of people on the boards will declare a "faller" on draft day. Can't see this guy as a top-25 pick with the level of commitment he shows to winning board battles and getting the puck from the opposition. Yeah he can skate, score and dangle, and with how weak the draft is after the first 20 or so picks he may even be a first rounder, but Sergei Tolchinsky was a smaller, harder working version of him who didn't even get drafted last year. Goldobin has to be way more consistent in using his somewhat limited might to even enter the realm of a top-10 pick.

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 07:35 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
OHLW: Having been in on almost 48% of the Stings' offense, it goes without saying he has elite offensive talent. How do you see him bringing that to the NHL level?

Ross: What Goldobin has accomplished as an OHL with such little offensive support is very impressive, as he sits as one of the OHL's top producers after leading all rookie scorers in 2012-13. He's proven that he can lead the offensive charge but also compliments teammates well sending slick imaginary passes for easy tap-in goals. At the next level, Goldobin could adopt a similar role as current NHLers such as Jordan Eberle or Patrick Kane - two players who can slow the game down with using exceptional puck handling abilities. He's the type of player who can buy extra time for teammates using his deceptive hands and projects as a future staple on the power play.

OHLW: Goldobin is all over the map in some Independent draft rankings. In your opinion, why is that?

Ross: It's a bit perplexing to me why he's ranked so drastically different in the draft rankings, especially in a draft class that is void of players lacking his high end offensive abilities. I am sure his defensive inconsistencies, wavering compete level and even his Russian passport concern some scouting agencies and contribute to these variances. Similarly to Max Domi being selected 12th overall last season, teams looking to add skill should consider Goldobin in the top half of the first round as well. It will be interesting to watch Goldobin and his Sarnia Sting to see if they creep into a playoff position. Goldobin could elevate his value with a strong showing in the post-season as he's been known to have a "clutch" element in his game - just ask the London Knights.
http://ohlwriters.com/articles/nikol...e-sarnia-sting

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 11:55 AM
Fantomas

The poster comparing Goldobin to Tolchinsky of last year has not given this much thought. Tolchinsky did not produce at this level in his draft year.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2014, 07:33 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
The poster comparing Goldobin to Tolchinsky of last year has not given this much thought. Tolchinsky did not produce at this level in his draft year.

I put very little value in production tbh. In the OHL that has a ton to do with usage and there's very little projectability into NHL scoring (look at how many OHL scoring champs are NHL all-stars over the last decade or so). Also, Goldobin and Tolchinsky are the same age

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 07:05 AM
Anthems

The more and more I analyse this years draft, I honestly believe Goldobin is this years 'sleeper' pick. He was just ranked as #22 in the draft by Bob McKenzie, which I honestly believe is quite low. I'd be looking to take him in the top 6 in my opinion.

He's a fast, slick player. Handles the puck very well. He's a goal scorer as well as a playmaker. He's even outscoring Reinhart as well. Not sure why there isn't more hype about Goldobin. Steal of the draft whoever gets him.

Anthems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 07:58 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthems View Post
The more and more I analyse this years draft, I honestly believe Goldobin is this years 'sleeper' pick. He was just ranked as #22 in the draft by Bob McKenzie, which I honestly believe is quite low. I'd be looking to take him in the top 6 in my opinion.

He's a fast, slick player. Handles the puck very well. He's a goal scorer as well as a playmaker. He's even outscoring Reinhart as well. Not sure why there isn't more hype about Goldobin. Steal of the draft whoever gets him.
This shows how scouts don't really look at stat-sheets.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 12:55 PM
Canuck71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthems View Post

For someone that has seen him in several live viewings the past 2 years I still don't think he is a top-10 type of player. He does have superior offensive skills and maybe some of the best purely offensive skills in the draft but his compete level and softness are a huge concern for me. No NHL coach is gunna put a guy like him on their roster if he doesn't compete on the half wall, doesn't go into the corners, and seems dis-interesed on play away from the puck. Sure you can teach that but his compete level is gunna have to improve for him to be an everyday NHLer. His defensive play reminds me of Yakupov when he was here and thats alot of what is holding Yakupov back in the NHL right now. I see Bob's ranking as accurate as I would rate him anywhere from 20-30 right now.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 03:00 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mauro View Post

Except for the fact that Hossa is a great puck carrier, I suppose.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Anthems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
For someone that has seen him in several live viewings the past 2 years I still don't think he is a top-10 type of player. He does have superior offensive skills and maybe some of the best purely offensive skills in the draft but his compete level and softness are a huge concern for me. No NHL coach is gunna put a guy like him on their roster if he doesn't compete on the half wall, doesn't go into the corners, and seems dis-interesed on play away from the puck. Sure you can teach that but his compete level is gunna have to improve for him to be an everyday NHLer. His defensive play reminds me of Yakupov when he was here and thats alot of what is holding Yakupov back in the NHL right now. I see Bob's ranking as accurate as I would rate him anywhere from 20-30 right now.
Thank you for the insight. It helps to hear from someone who's seen him play live more than a few times. If everything you said is 100% fact, I still find it hard to believe that he's putting up the numbers he is if his compete level is so low.

However with that said, it's hard for me to be excited about players who don't compete to their potential. If he gave 100%, I'm sure his ranking would be in the top 5 for sure. The talent is definitely there.

On a side note, Sarnia has been producing a lot of talented players in the past couple years. There's been a handful come through the top ranks of the draft. Is that just chance, or is there a reason for this?

Old
01-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Fantomas

The "lazy" accusation is often leveled against players who are cerebral offensive talents. People went gaga over Yakupov's "drive at 'em" approach, whereby he would often play like he was on meth.

But a player who slows the game down to his pace - not unlike someone like Kovalev - is called lazy.

Goldobin is not lazy. He trained on the big ice. His natural instinct is to think the game, rather than dump the puck in and go for the hit.

I believe that he should pack his bags and return home to Russia. It would suit his style better. Critics in Canada can watch their goons instead.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 12:54 AM
Anthems

And just like I expected, Goldobin makes the biggest jump in the draft rankings in February moving from 22nd to 13th. Very interesting.

Old
04-25-2014, 09:30 PM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

Definitely not one of the biggest hype players in the draft but one who could be a great find for the team that drafts him. Top Shelf Prospects has him as the 20th best player in this year's NHL draft.

Here is the full scouting report: http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/...olay-goldobin/

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 12:43 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

20's is way too late. As you can see, I wasn't too sure about Nikolai earlier in the fall. But he really evolved into a leader and focal point on Sarnia and didn't let up.

He and Scherbak have done all that could be asked of them, first starting with coming over to NA. He's like a less exciting Ehlers for some reason, probably strength of team (or lack thereof).