HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to Take a Wrist Shot - Video, Advice, Technique, Etc

Old
09-16-2012, 02:11 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but as a sort of 'training wheels' approach why not try dropping a few street hockey balls into the mix? Or even easier is tennis balls if you have any laying around. The shooting concept is basically the same, but if you're having problems getting the pucks off the ground with your shot then it's much easier lifting a ball off the ground, which could help get the general idea down if you're stuck.

At the very least I know that I started by shooting lots of tennis balls in the basement growing up, which gave my shot a hug boost when I started playing floor hockey regularly in college shooting against fully equipped goalies, which again gave me a big boost when I finally started playing ice hockey and shooting with pucks a few years after that.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
The shot I described above is a wrist/snap shot. It's not a sweeping pass but a hard, quick, accurate shot. The wrist shot is kind of a building block for both passing and the snap shot. I would learn it for sure.

I never liked shooting balls. They don't fly like a frisbee, so heel to toe spin is not important, and you can't load them and fire them like a puck. You end up swatting them. Great if you want to work on a mini slapper, but not for the wrist/snap shot.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Well, Stamkos used to take 500 a day...

You do that, you'll hit the big league in no time

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 06:20 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
Did a little bit of research and found this: http://howtohockey.com/drills-to-tra...oting-accuracy
Thanks!

To clown question the important things in a shot for a beginner are
  • start with the puck pulled back
  • cup the puck with the blade of the stick
  • pull it forwards with both hands
  • transfer your weight from your back leg to your front leg
  • When the puck gets to your front foot(still on the ground) you SNAP, this means pulling your top hand back and pushing forwards with your bottom hand

Some common errors I see in newer players
  • Not transferring their weight. Go with the nose to toes approach, lean back and line you nose up with the toes of your back leg, during the shot shift your weight forwards so your nose lines up with the toes on your front foot
  • Top hand in the holster - This means your top hand is stuck on your hip, when shooting make sure you bring that top hand out
  • No snap - Remember to pull that top hand back and push the bottom hand forwards near the end of the shot

I've got a tonne of videos and articles on the wrist shot, I just did this one on taking my wrist shot from 55MPH to 64MPH http://howtohockey.com/snapshot-wris...ge-summer-2012

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:48 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The shot I described above is a wrist/snap shot. It's not a sweeping pass but a hard, quick, accurate shot. The wrist shot is kind of a building block for both passing and the snap shot. I would learn it for sure.

I never liked shooting balls. They don't fly like a frisbee, so heel to toe spin is not important, and you can't load them and fire them like a puck. You end up swatting them. Great if you want to work on a mini slapper, but not for the wrist/snap shot.
Did you ever have problems getting your shot off the ground? People like yourself will be able to offer much better advice on shooting than me, I've only been playing a couple of years, but sometimes experts or at least advanced players on the subject matter have a tendency to get ahead of themselves when the person needing help is struggling with the very basics.

My own point of reference is that I was shooting balls for a good 10 years before I got to any pucks, and when I did I didn't seem to have any problems with the puck. If you're talking about not liking shooting balls because they don't have a proper heel to toe spin it sounds like you already had a pretty advanced shot to begin with.

Like I said maybe it wouldn't help at all, but if the OP wants to get the feeling of getting her shot into the air an easy way to start would be to fire a few balls off.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:51 AM
Playerwinner

vCash: 7431
RandV your right about starting with balls, there good for building your way up to pucks. When a young kid is developing his shot he doesnt start with pucks, its balls and lightweight pucks. You still learn the proper technique its a necessity to start with heavy pucks.

Playerwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:13 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

So just tennis balls? Or anything in particular?

I have a green biscuit, but that's not for shooting. My daughter has a street hockey puck, that thing is a lot lighter and I can get it into the air pretty easily.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Did you ever have problems getting your shot off the ground? People like yourself will be able to offer much better advice on shooting than me, I've only been playing a couple of years, but sometimes experts or at least advanced players on the subject matter have a tendency to get ahead of themselves when the person needing help is struggling with the very basics.
I learned to shoot a wrist shot when I was twelve and then quit playing, so when I started as an adult the only two things I could do were lift a puck with a weak wrister and slowly skate forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
So just tennis balls? Or anything in particular?

I have a green biscuit, but that's not for shooting. My daughter has a street hockey puck, that thing is a lot lighter and I can get it into the air pretty easily.
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to shoot tennis balls if you want, but I got half a dozen of those super light orange street hockey pucks (they look like normal pucks, no rollers or anything) and shot with those. It's a lot easier to get them up but the shooting motion is the same...you don't slap at it, you roll it off the blade like a frisbee.

The key is spinning or rotating the puck...think like a frisbee or a top. That keeps the puck stable and allows it to lift. If you just try and shoot it forward, it will wobble all over the place.

You want to have the puck roll from the heel to the toe of the blade, creating rotation. When it reaches the toe, you close those wrists to flick it off the end. Like this:

The wrists control the loft of the blade (open/closed). The forearms control the angle of the shot (left/right).

It's a lot easier than it looks I'd make another video but my ex has my camera. I'll set a reminder to try and make one this weekend with my webcam.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:16 PM
cheap77
Go Kings!

Lifting the Puck

I'm gotten some good advice here in the past. I've been having trouble lifting the puck on wristshots. Every time I seem to shoot it just rolls off my stick and slides on the ice or it lifts off the ice very little. What's the trick to shooting and getting it up near the top of the net?

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Grave77digger

Shoot off the toe of the stick or change your stick pattern to an open blade.

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap77 View Post
I'm gotten some good advice here in the past. I've been having trouble lifting the puck on wristshots. Every time I seem to shoot it just rolls off my stick and slides on the ice or it lifts off the ice very little. What's the trick to shooting and getting it up near the top of the net?
Normally when the puck just rolls off the stick it's because you have the puck too far in front of you. I would suggest starting by standing still and shooting until you get the hang of it. I will describe the shot for a righty. If you are a lefty just change it up.

Start with your feet just more than shoulder width apart and the puck just to the left foot side of centered between your feet. Right hand about halfway down the shaft of your stick and weight centered on both feet. Pull the puck back with your backhand to about 12-18 inches behind your right foot and shift your weight to your right foot.

Stop the puck towards the heal of your stick and in the same motion bring the puck forward and start transferring your weight to your left foot. You want the puck to travel forward right to left in front of you and heal to toe on your stick.

Your right hand motion will be palm down at the furthest point to the right, palm facing the boards at your right foot, then as the puck gets to the center of your feet you want to make a quick wrist twist where you will bend your wrist to about 45 degrees and then snap it quickly back to a palm down position with the follow through toward your target and your weight on your left foot.

The wrist flick is hard to visualize with your glove on so try it a few times without gloves and maybe not even on the ice.

Hope that helps and isn't too convoluted. Good luck.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Nail Yakupov
Russian Rocket 2.0

I found firstly put the puck in the middle of the blade, put some flex on the shaft, and curl your wrist and FOLLOW THROUGH TO YOUR TARGET.. that's the most important part. Look where you want to shoot, and follow through after your shot. I hope this helps, feel free to post back here and I'll be glad to help you progress.

Nail Yakupov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:53 PM
rbarker26

get an ovechkin curve

rbarker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:33 PM
flyers10

Sounds like you may be coming up as you sweep the puck.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm going to merge this with an existing thread that has good information in it. I've been meaning to do it for a while with others.

Here's the last meandering bit I wrote on the topic

Old
02-13-2013, 12:04 PM
cheap77
Go Kings!

Thanks for the help!

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Noel92

Thank you for the info! This will help me in the summer when I do some practice shooting.

I have one question though. Will wearing gloves when shooting off ice help? How big of a difference will it make? (I think this has been discussed, so I apologize if it has)

Noel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wear gloves when shooting, just feels much more natural.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:43 AM
MattB43

I just started playing about 8-9 months ago, and I was having trouble getting shots off the ice too.
It goes against the "heel to toe" style that most people seem to recommend, but this video from Easton shows how to shoot off the toe, and I've gotten a lot better shooting that way. The regular goalie at pickup even commented that my shots were coming in a lot higher and harder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp3yNDYzshg

MattB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:10 AM
MJAYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB43 View Post
I just started playing about 8-9 months ago, and I was having trouble getting shots off the ice too.
It goes against the "heel to toe" style that most people seem to recommend, but this video from Easton shows how to shoot off the toe, and I've gotten a lot better shooting that way. The regular goalie at pickup even commented that my shots were coming in a lot higher and harder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp3yNDYzshg
The "These sticks work like a diving board, the more you put pressure on the toe the more it flexes" was entirely new to me. Gotta try this out on the next practice.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Noel92

Sorry for bumping, but I have an extremely simple question.

When taking a wrist shot where you want to shoot high, do you roll your wrists before or after you have pointed to your spot?

I find the puck goes higher when I roll after, but I'm a beginner and I feel that I might be doing it wrong.

-----

NEVER MIND, I decided to read the OP again and found my answer.

Last edited by Noel92: 02-25-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Noel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:02 PM
trtaylor

Here are a couple more videos that will be helpful. That and shooting 100+ pucks a day.

For beginners, start at the end of the shot and work back. See starting at 3:12 in this video:

Nice breakdown of the wrist shot technique, starting at 2:22

trtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Honestly, don't even bother with your wrist shot... It is a clunky, slow shot that I haven't used in maybe 20 years
I disagree. While the snapshot is a better option when close to the net because of the pressure from the defenders and the deceptive nature of the shot's release, the wrist shot is not useless at all. In fact, there are some situations on the ice that require to use a wrist shot instead of a snapper, for instance when the goalie is not screened, set for the shot and no pressure received. The extra power and accuracy put into the shot by flexing even more the stick may make the difference.

I can't recall the last time I scored on a snapshot from 35+ feet out, but I remember hitting the crossbar from the blue line this past sunday with a wrist shot.

Bottom line is, a great goal scorer needs to have every kind of shot in his arsenal, and know when to use a specific shot. Start off by practicing your wrist roll a lot on your wrist shot, then move on to the snap shot, which is more advanced because it requires to be able to load the stick quickly AND roll the wrist in the follow through.
Hope it helps

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 08:05 PM
CarpeNoctem
I Pity #26

Everybody here should thank HowtoHockey and Jarick for their contributions in this topic. It's very good knowledge. But above everything else, beginners really need to put in a LOT of practice time on their wrist shot. It's a true foundational shot in hockey. If you don't have your wrist snap right on a wrister, you probably won't be able to take a good snapper or slapper either.

Even intermediate level adult players will really see an improved result with frequent practice. You don't need to be able to pick top corner every time. Get off a strong shot, with a little bit of a deceptive release and know how to pick open spots on the goalie (low blocker is one big hint).

CarpeNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Thanks!

If it helps, I was working on my fundamentals with the push-pull all weekend.