HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What about all the scouting?

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2003, 12:15 PM
copperandblue

vCash: 500
What about all the scouting?

I don't know if this has been covered or not and I'm not sure anyone is ready for another round of speculating but;

There have been many many times throughout this whole trade soap opera with Comrie where scouts were reported at the Oiler games, including Philly scouts recently.

Obviously we now know that they were involved in the deal but it's also just as obvious that they weren't at the games scouting Comrie. So does that mean that a bigger deal was on the table at one point? What other roster player from the Oilers was Lowe offering up and if he was offering up another player does that mean that just because the guy wasn't involved in this deal that there is still someone on the block and Lowe isn't finished making his moves yet?

Old
12-17-2003, 12:33 PM
momentai

I'm hoping for Laraque.

Old
12-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
There have been many many times throughout this whole trade soap opera with Comrie where scouts were reported at the Oiler games, including Philly scouts recently.

Obviously we now know that they were involved in the deal but it's also just as obvious that they weren't at the games scouting Comrie. So does that mean that a bigger deal was on the table at one point?
EXCELLENT point. Perhaps this isn't the end of things OR there might have been more at one point but it fell apart... something else for me to ask K.P. I guess.

Old
12-17-2003, 01:18 PM
Mr Sakich

if laraque was on the table, he would have played the games with the scout present, even if his thumb was sore.

It seems to me that the games in question were the first part of the roadtrip and the last game of the homestand. If I was Lowe / Mact, I would showcase a player by putting him on a line with York because he is the one oiler who makes his linemates much better (mact's quote from last year)

Old
12-17-2003, 01:21 PM
creative giant*

Yeah, I was thinking about this as well. Perhaps the Comrie deal was going to be bigger but they couldn't agree on the players?

Or they just don't like anyone else on the Oilers roster. :p

Old
12-17-2003, 01:25 PM
Digger12

My guess?

There was probably a bigger deal going on w/ Philadelphia, but one of the sides got cold feet and decided to scale it back.

Still, I think the dealings aren't done yet. Lowe's given a 'vote of confidence' to the players, but lose 3 of the next 4 and watch that evaporate like so much vapour.

Old
12-17-2003, 01:39 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
There was probably a bigger deal going on w/ Philadelphia, but one of the sides got cold feet and decided to scale it back.
If that's the case it's too bad for Lowe, as pointed out elsewhere, there is generally nothing he could have done here that would have settled everyone in the Oiler crowd buuuuut, if he pulls a big deal with a lot of players involved it at the very least would confuse the hell out of alot people when assessing who got the better of who in the trade.

Sort of like the deals Sather used to make such as when he sent Mironov and ? for Moreau, Cleary, Kilger and a D?, Sather only got 1 out of 4 right and yet at the time everyone was excited because the appearance of the trade just smacked of Blockbuster. If someone pointed out that Mironov was a big hitter then Moreau was pointed out, if someone said we needed scoring then Cleary was pointed at (ohh how naive we were), leadership = Moreau, size = Kilger and so on...

However in the end we ended up with simply a third line checker and yet Sather never took any heat.

Old
12-17-2003, 02:00 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
If that's the case it's too bad for Lowe, as pointed out elsewhere, there is generally nothing he could have done here that would have settled everyone in the Oiler crowd buuuuut, if he pulls a big deal with a lot of players involved it at the very least would confuse the hell out of alot people when assessing who got the better of who in the trade.

Sort of like the deals Sather used to make such as when he sent Mironov and ? for Moreau, Cleary, Kilger and a D?, Sather only got 1 out of 4 right and yet at the time everyone was excited because the appearance of the trade just smacked of Blockbuster. If someone pointed out that Mironov was a big hitter then Moreau was pointed out, if someone said we needed scoring then Cleary was pointed at (ohh how naive we were), leadership = Moreau, size = Kilger and so on...

However in the end we ended up with simply a third line checker and yet Sather never took any heat.

Just to fill in the "?"

Mirinov, Dean McAmmond, and Jonas Elofsson for Moreau, Cleary, Kilger, and Christian LaFlamme

Closed Thread