HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXII: Send in the Clowns

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2013, 06:33 PM
  #26
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan
 
QcBlizzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Saguenay, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
On the contrary, the NHL is nearly the sole cause of this. Glendale built the arena under the guise that an NHL team would be the main tenant, and signed the club to a 30 year lease accordingly. The NHL, for whatever reason, allowed Moyes to place the team into bankruptcy which voided the lease that the city was counting on. The league then held the team hostage, with all parties aware that TNSE was ready and willing to take a team at any point. During this fiasco, Atlanta boiled over and the NHL's hand was forced. Do we send Phoenix or Atlanta? For the sake of keeping up appearances, and with the benefit of the money from Glendale, the league sent Atlanta packing. Now they've been forced to wait until a new market is ready and willing, which QC seems to be.

At no point was the NHL, throughout this entire process, forced to legitimately look for a local buyer. If you consider their moral imperative as a corporation (profits for stakeholders) then their actions to this point are actually rather predictable. Why sell the team for a discount when you can extract full price and then some from a new market? Optics be damned. If Winnipeg or QC had been built an arena specifically for a team, only to watch that team snake off, you guys would be screaming bloody murder. I think the league crosses over into dangerous territory, legally speaking, when they front buyers as legitimate (and deals as solid) when they have no intention of realistically selling the team to a local buyer. They managed to coax $50 million out of a city under duress, and this is somehow okay because the council deserved it?

Why should a city watch a major investment crumple before their very eyes because the NHL didn't handle Moyes correctly? Why should the city be coerced into giving up hefty subsidies because the NHL didn't do its job? Normally, a corporation would just write off that $70 million as the cost of defending their legal franchising rights. Why do you think the NBA, NFL and MLB were all hovering around, curious about the outcome? I believe at one point they even sent letters in support of the NHL. The right to dictate where you do business is worth everything. But when you have the opportunity to externalize that cost and pass it off to the public, why not? It's absolutely predictable, if you consider the amoral and pathological nature of a corporation.

I am thoroughly disgusted by this. The illusion that the league cares about the markets in which it operates has been totally shattered for me. It will be nearly impossible for me to support a business that conducts itself in such a way.



I'm curious to see your argument supporting the NHL (or any other business) in offloading costs onto taxpayers.
You have to admit the lack of attendance doesnt help. I have no argument at all supporting the NHL in offloading costs onto taxpayers in this specific situation.

But on the 30 years lease thing, this is why I wrote I'd love to see Glendale sue the league.

They have a case? Go ahead and sue the *&? league. I wanna see Bettman going to testify. I wanna see him trying to convince a judge he is right.

Make no mistake: I don't like him, and I am using kind words.

I have no AZ law knowledge.

Screwed from the very beginning I said.

QcBlizzard is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 07:11 PM
  #27
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
This is absolutely abhorrent but it appears to be the case. You have to give credit to them for playing the long game so well. They had an easy out, should Glendale not cough up that $50 million. That bought enough time to get the arena juices flowing in other markets. I'm sure they would have sold to Reinsdorf, but once that ship sailed, we moved on to plan B. At any point during this entire process, the league could have cut the price and saved several of the deals. But they aren't interested in that. They want the $170 million, come hell or high water. If they have to trash a city in the process, so be it.

Without the CFD nonsense, Reinsdorf's bid was roughly ~$100 million. I'm sure there would be plenty of buyers at that price point, given the improved situation all around. I don't know how a city can take any pledge of support from the NHL seriously after this.
On top of how big a subsidy from the city. As was stated a few times when this all started the team isn't worth 1 dollar without a large subsidy. You couldn't give it away.

Confucius is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 07:15 PM
  #28
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 500
Love the thread title.

So appropriate given you-know-who are back in the picture.

WJG is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 07:24 PM
  #29
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Love the thread title.

So appropriate given you-know-who are back in the picture.
I thought they lost the election







Confucius is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 07:53 PM
  #30
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I solve problems
 
Major4Boarding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Country: Scotland
Posts: 1,972
vCash: 500
If the League took a LOC/loan on the $140M to purchase it out of Bankruptcy, doesn't it stand to reason that it explains why there's zero flexibility on the $170M asking price? Potential purchase price and relo aside, I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
On the contrary, the NHL is nearly the sole cause of this. Glendale built the arena under the guise that an NHL team would be the main tenant, and signed the club to a 30 year lease accordingly. The NHL, for whatever reason, allowed Moyes to place the team into bankruptcy which voided the lease that the city was counting on. The league then held the team hostage, with all parties aware that TNSE was ready and willing to take a team at any point. During this fiasco, Atlanta boiled over and the NHL's hand was forced. Do we send Phoenix or Atlanta? For the sake of keeping up appearances, and with the benefit of the money from Glendale, the league sent Atlanta packing. Now they've been forced to wait until a new market is ready and willing, which QC seems to be.
I concur with the bulk of what you stated above. The question I ask of you, XX, is where or why does Steve Ellman escape blame for this? I agree that the League has done a piss poor job in majority but I get the sense, not only in your post above but a few others as well, that the chase has cut straight to the NHL and bypassed Ellman altogether.

Yes Glendale built the Job as the 'Yotes would be the anchor tenant but the arena was only a piece towards the grand scheme of things, a la Westgate. Ellman played Rock'em Sock'em with Scottsdale and they in turn told him to take a hike. Ellman didn't help his cause with his standoff-ish approach none either. To them the optics looked putrid. So various attempts to find other locations and behold, little ol' Glendale says "Over here!". Let the fleecing begin... suckers found.

Are you correct that the League does an abysmal job of consistent pulse-taking of it's troubled franchises? Absolutely. Atlanta was a perfect example. Don't let yourself be deceived however, that "For the sake of keeping up appearances, and with the benefit of the money from Glendale, the league sent Atlanta packing". It wasn't for appearances or Glendale's money.

When the bottom fell out of the ASG floor, you then had a franchise that immediately didn't have a home. With that occurence, the Thrashers immediately leapfrogged them. Clear back to 2004, Bettman should have been setting up residence in ATL to babysit ASG and because he didn't... well, the rest is history.

Major4Boarding is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 07:55 PM
  #31
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The NHL, for whatever reason, allowed Moyes to place the team into bankruptcy which voided the lease that the city was counting on

I'm curious to see your argument supporting the NHL (or any other business) in offloading costs onto taxpayers.
The NHL didn't have a choice in Moyes deciding to file Chapter 11. He owned the team. An owner of an insolvent or illiquid business is allowed to file.

The sad reality is businesses get stuff from taxpayers all the time. Sears got a ton of tax breaks from Illinois because they had gotten a great offer to move their HQ to Ohio. I'm just curious why you think the NHL should take a loss on their investment to keep the team in Glendale as opposed to recouping their investment by moving it to QC or Seattle.

aqib is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 07:58 PM
  #32
BnGBear1970
YUP!
 
BnGBear1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
I agree with you pretty well across the board, and would've appreciated the transparency that the NHL no longer thought it was worthwhile to support the Glendale market unless it was paid to do so, however, there's one line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The NHL, for whatever reason, allowed Moyes to place the team into bankruptcy which voided the lease that the city was counting on
Not to suddenly apply altruism to the NHL, but Moyes' bankruptcy move seems to have caught them as off-guard as anyone else. Yes, they were fronting Moyes some money to keep the Coyotes afloat until Reinsdorf could get his ducks in a row, but I don't think it behooves them to simply allow one of their owners to go rouge and use bankruptcy as a proxy to a sale said owner knew the league would never approve. If the league were truly as nefarious behind Moyes as you claim, the dog and pony show would've ended prior to last season, when the climate for the NHL became toxic. I feel bad for you, because Moyes was much more concerned with saving his bottom line than fostering the growth of the game in Arizona, but to believe that the NHL was the hand controlling Moyes to such a degree is a little much.

Now all that said, the fact that Moyes was approved by the Board of Governors speaks to the issues the NHL has with its owners: any member of the Rouges' Gallery has a seat at the table if they write the check, long-term interests be damned. It's funny how this situation rarely occurs in the NFL and MLB, occasionally in the NBA, and a disturbing level of regularly in the NHL.

BnGBear1970 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 08:05 PM
  #33
XX
Lots of Try
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Executionville
Country: United States
Posts: 28,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BnGBear1970 View Post
but to believe that the NHL was the hand controlling Moyes to such a degree is a little much.
Where did I say that? They allowed him to place the team into bankruptcy through their inaction. It was revealed that he had turned over the keys to the league months prior.

XX is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 08:20 PM
  #34
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Where did I say that? They allowed him to place the team into bankruptcy through their inaction. It was revealed that he had turned over the keys to the league months prior.
eh I don't know about that. they objected to the filing but the court ruled against them

aqib is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 08:27 PM
  #35
BnGBear1970
YUP!
 
BnGBear1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Fair enough then, and that goes with what Boarding said: the league is horrid at on-the-ground management. And as I said, the NHL runs into this problem far too much. That said, they didn't own the franchise, and I'd have to believe that if the league had an indication Moyes was going off the radar in order to cash in, it stands to reason that they'd step in before Balsille came sniffing. And Baum addressed the NHL's ability to prevent Moyes from putting the Coyotes in bankruptcy; IIRC, he said they had no ability to prevent it unless they owned the club in fact, not just in practice.

Now, as far as the NHL not recognizing troubled owners before they tank franchises, is there something to be done? In other words, how can the NHL learn from the triple embarrassment of Tampa Bay, Atlanta, and Glendale?

BnGBear1970 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 08:31 PM
  #36
Llama19
Registered User
 
Llama19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outside GZ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,554
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
I thought they lost the election
Now we have the other side to the story, unfiltered...

Joyce Clark Unfiltered

Llama19 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 08:40 PM
  #37
saskganesh
Registered User
 
saskganesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the Annex
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post

But on the 30 years lease thing, this is why I wrote I'd love to see Glendale sue the league.

They have a case? Go ahead and sue the *&? league. I wanna see Bettman going to testify. I wanna see him trying to convince a judge he is right.
There's no case. The lease was voided during bankruptcy court with Glendale's assent.

saskganesh is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 08:43 PM
  #38
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I solve problems
 
Major4Boarding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Country: Scotland
Posts: 1,972
vCash: 500
If I may, I urge some of you to recall and digest this post by CF some time ago

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=734

Major4Boarding is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 08:45 PM
  #39
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Now we have the other side to the story, unfiltered...

Joyce Clark Unfiltered
Oh please somebody tell her Phoenix has had the team for 17 years already. I never knew everytime ownership changed or the team moved a few miles it was like starting all over again .


Last edited by Confucius: 02-12-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Confucius is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 08:59 PM
  #40
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 112,361
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahplk View Post

^ ...the saddest video on YouTube.
How about a "young" Scott Oake with hair.

GKJ is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:02 PM
  #41
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Oh please somebody tell her Phoenix has had the team for 17 years already. I never knew every time ownership changed or the team moved a few miles it was like starting all over again .
is it actually her?

aqib is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:04 PM
  #42
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
is it actually her?
Who knows!

Confucius is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:07 PM
  #43
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I solve problems
 
Major4Boarding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Country: Scotland
Posts: 1,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
is it actually her?
I sincerely doubt it. It lacks... Clarkonomics. Plus all the nifty headshots of the major players. Too achievable for Joyce alone I feel.

Although, the "He can buy the arena" is referenced.

Perhaps her "thoughts" with an outsourced writer?

Major4Boarding is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:10 PM
  #44
XX
Lots of Try
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Executionville
Country: United States
Posts: 28,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
If I may, I urge some of you to recall and digest this post by CF some time ago

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=734
Yep. NHL wanted out of the 30 year lease, and thus out of any commitment to Glendale. Amazing.

XX is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:18 PM
  #45
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Yep. NHL wanted out of the 30 year lease, and thus out of any commitment to Glendale. Amazing.
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but regardless, I'll make my post.

Can you blame them? After almost 17 years of consecutive losses? If you were a businessman, would you actually believe that this market would ever become successful, regardless of "potential" that people may claim exists?

How many more years would you want to keep up the charade and bleed money?

Puckschmuck* is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:22 PM
  #46
BnGBear1970
YUP!
 
BnGBear1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
If I may, I urge some of you to recall and digest this post by CF some time ago

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=734
Yikes. That is damning.

So Moyes only went rogue in getting Balsille involved; otherwise, we would've gone down the same road with Kaites/Reinsdorf filling the void much quicker.

I guess the only question left is if the City of Glendale has a case against anyone. There may not be much against the NHL, but how about Beasley? Even if he didn't do something outright illegal, he did undermine the city council and damage an asset in their possession (the Moyes AMULA).

BnGBear1970 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:25 PM
  #47
XX
Lots of Try
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Executionville
Country: United States
Posts: 28,839
vCash: 500
I mean, legally speaking, can you conspire to organize bankruptcy solely for the purposes of voiding a particular contract?

XX is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:31 PM
  #48
BnGBear1970
YUP!
 
BnGBear1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I mean, legally speaking, can you conspire to organize bankruptcy solely for the purposes of voiding a particular contract?
That's why I think the city's SOL against the NHL. The league can sit there and say that the team's liquidity had been exhausted and have a convincing argument. However, Beasley circumventing the council to help the league void an AMULA could be an interesting case.

BnGBear1970 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:42 PM
  #49
ajmidd12
Know-It-All
 
ajmidd12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hungover
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
I sincerely doubt it. It lacks... Clarkonomics. Plus all the nifty headshots of the major players. Too achievable for Joyce alone I feel.

Although, the "He can buy the arena" is referenced.

Perhaps her "thoughts" with an outsourced writer?
"Jamison, take a memo"

ajmidd12 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:53 PM
  #50
ajmidd12
Know-It-All
 
ajmidd12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hungover
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I mean, legally speaking, can you conspire to organize bankruptcy solely for the purposes of voiding a particular contract?
According to my lawyer, one can sue for anything, it's just a matter of proving your case.

Problem is that not only would this be tied up in court for awhile, there's always the chance of an appeal after the verdict is made.

ajmidd12 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.